Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 12:43   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I used to collect these "BOSS" plates - in fact if you search this thread, you'll find several of my spottings. As for (HSRP? What's that - in my line of work that is Hot Standby Router Protocol) HSNP, I sometime ago asked the TN-07 RTO about converting my car to those, but the guy was totally clueless. Anyway those can be obtained only at the issuing RTO, as per the rules.
So, BOSS is the 'in-thing'!

BTW, HSRP also means High Security Registration Plates, apart from what you suggested (which I didn't have a clue about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
HSRP for your Civic, eh?
Yup, for the Civic Have applied for a local (JH) registration. That will take some time to come through but plan to replace the current HSRP number plates with that only. Thanks for pointing the link. Will surely look into it.

Regards.
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:38   #542
BHPian

Just look at this number plate. Number is easy to guess (7921). For those who don't inderstand Marathi, the word is "Navra" meaning Husband.
Source: WhatsApp forward
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-img20150120wa0007.jpg  

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 22nd January 2015 at 19:46.
mahesh_sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:28   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Just look at this number plate. Number is easy to guess (7921). For those who don't inderstand Marathi, the word is "Navra" meaning Husband.
Source: WhatsApp forward
Ha ha ... if you add the sticker he had put below, it reads 'Navra Aalay Ga' ... means 'Husband has arrived'.
sukhoi30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:36   #544
BHPian

Traffic Police and cousin brother at Palm Beach Road.

This is a ludicrous yet highly frustrating story of which I title
"Traffic Police Gundagardi"

My cousin brother, a few days back while driving his car on Palm Beach Road which is considered to be one of the highest esteemed roads in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai faced this incident of classical police harassment. I am quoting the words of his post which he put up on Facebook.

The Story:

Finally after a lot of thinking, I decided to have this put up on facebook.

Yesterday while going to pick up my daughter from school, I stopped at the signal on Palm beach road going towards Nerul. As I stood on the signal which was red, I waited for it to turn green. I suddenly saw a traffic hawaldar telling me to go, as I moved forward he suddenly came in front and asked me to come to the side. On asking him what happened, he said your number plate has only two numbers instead of four to which I replied that the number is "65" thus the "00’s" are not put on it and there are number of cars on the road which have the same format. He started arguing that the number does not get recognized, I asked him where? To which he said in the computer systems.
So I asked him:

"Do you put my car number plate in the system or manually type the numbers?"

He did not have any answer to this and approached his other partner who I call "The Mastermind".
They spoke amongst themselves after which they came to me and told me the same reason.
Then I explained to him that when we buy premium and VIP numbers, do you think they pay for the Zero’s or just the number which they ask for? and to my expectation, again they din’t have any answer.
Then the Mastermind told his partner that

Do one thing, charge him for jumping the signal."

What the....?

Flabbergasted, I told him that the other hawaldar asked me to come hence i did no break the signal.
Then again the Mastermind said that you stopped ahead of the zebra crossing which is equivalent to a signal jump, you should have stopped behind.
I thought to myself that
"I dont remember stopping ahead of the line?"

But since he had already taken away my 10 minutes and I was running late to pick up my daughter,

In frustration, I bluntly asked him:

"If you want money ask directly, don’t make new reasons everytime!

The other hawaldar on the other hand was waiting, thinking that I will bribe him. But instead I told him

"You give me the receipt, I will pay the fine for the penalty which I had not committed."

I just thought I should share this experience of our hardworking and law abiding traffic hawaldars, I just hope if someone who is responsible & in power can do something about this, would suggest to see the CCTV footage which is installed on that signal.

Date & Time of Incident: 22nd Jan’15 / 12:20pm.

(Attaching the picture of the hawaldar below)
"I couldn't capture the face, but got the plate"
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-10926320_910108522353729_7401908436515941904_o.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2015 at 12:03. Reason: No personal names please
Old 25th January 2015, 01:08   #545
BHPian

re: Traffic Police and cousin brother at Palm Beach Road.

From an unbiased point of view, I think if your registration number is 65 then it should be put as 0065 on the number plate - the way it is mentioned in the official registration card.
9tMax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 01:19   #546
Senior - BHPian

Not to support the police at all, but I think the number should be written exactly how it is written when you registered your car. If RC says 0065, it should be 0065 and not 65.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 02:11   #547
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Starfire sorry to say but your cousin was wrong here with registration. The number even if is a 2 digit, it acutally is 00xx or 0065 in this case. I know people with fancy numbers tend to get the number plates in similar forms, but that is illegal.

Frankly i didn't find any Gundagardi in here. As far as you have described the policeman didn't take any bribe and maybe he had actually crossed the line, you never know. If your cousin is sure he had not crossed the line, then ask him to complain at the nearest RTO.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 25th January 2015 at 02:13.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 03:16   #548
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
On asking him what happened, he said your number plate has only two numbers instead of four to which I replied that the number is "65" thus the "00's" are not put on it
I'm sorry to say but your cousin is at fault here. As per the rules given the registration plate 'must' carry what the RC displays.

If the number on the RC reads:

MH XX YY 0065 then it must be made that way.

It is not possible to skip the '00'. Those two digits have a meaning and is given to safeguard you actually.

What if someone misuses the number? Like a theft/road accident? Your car number can be modified a million ways. Here in Hyderabad, the police is strict to for such cases of skipping two digits.

Look at this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...my-number.html

A post from that thread which speaks everything that I want to convey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Precisely the reason why many states in North India issue numbers as '0681' and not just '681'.
Sorry to be blunt here but: Please go by the rules first, then blame the Police!

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th January 2015 at 03:21.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 06:22   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He did not have any answer to this and approached his other partner who I call "The Mastermind".
I thought to myself that
"I dont remember stopping ahead of the line?"
The other hawaldar on the other hand was waiting, thinking that I will bribe him. But instead I told him
I think your brother has been assuming too many negative things; to keep a neutral view, I would consider most of his assumptions and thoughts quite overboard.

And clearly as others mentioned above, the number plate is wrong. The havaldar had every right to stop and ask him about it. Giving reasons that other cars also have it clearly not a credible reason, however valid it might be.

Also I see your cousin assuming that he wants a bribe, again however valid it might be on a realistic note, it is still just an assumption.

Quote:
This is a ludicrous yet highly frustrating story of which I title
"Traffic Police Gundagardi"
Requesting mods to change the thread title - clearly there was no "gundardi" or harrasement out here; just a basic police check being wrongly mis-understood.

P.s. @starfire, you might want to share this thread and the responses with your cousin.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 07:33   #550
Senior - BHPian

OT:

If it is enforced that all single/double/triple digit numbers should be written with the proper zeroes before it, then the craze for fancy numbers might reduce.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 07:35   #551
Team-BHP Support

Re: Traffic Police and cousin brother at Palm Beach Road.

Mod note: Thread title changed.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 08:14   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Long before the state coded system (BR/MH/MP/etc) was in place, the single digit and double digit numbers held good. We had a car with registration number BPK 84 and it was mentioned like that on RC book. With advent of new format, you cannot skip the 00 in it.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 08:30   #553
Senior - BHPian

The practice of prefixing Zeros to complete Four digits registration numbers is not followed by Kerala RTOs. The RC card will show only single, double and triple digits as the case may be.
But the number of the issuing office should have the Zero prefix, (Eg: KL 01 and not KL 1)

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th January 2015 at 08:39.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 08:51   #554
BHPian

My car has a three-digit number and I when I bought it around 5 years ago and had got my license plate made, the shop insisted on putting the zero in front . I had obliged them and I realized later that the rules required it to be that way.

Having said that, quite a lot of cars run on the road with zeroes missing.. especially those with single/double digit numbers, with the numbers proudly displayed three or four times the original size.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 09:20   #555
Team-BHP Support

If the cop was honest or did not have any other ideas, he should have booked the offender under wrong/illegal number plate and not under jumped the traffic light.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed