Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 15:47   #211
BHPian

Cops gun for speedsters on Bangalore-Bellary Road

Got to read the below news in TOI today. As many Bangalore BHPians plan their early morning weekend rides towards airport and nandi hills, the news would be of some help . Even i had done few early morning rides to these places in my RE Electra.

BANGALORE: If you are a student and driving at top speed on Bangalore-Bellary Road at night with friends on a high-end bike, gear up for a questioning session by cops at checkposts on the way.
And if you tell police you are heading towards Nandi Hills or a coffee shop at BIA, you better heed their advice before moving on. Also, be prepared for a drunken driving check.
The decision came after the road leading to Nandi Hills and BIA witnessed more than 97 accidents this year, 27 of which turned fatal. Of the dead, at least 10 were students.
According to additional commissioner (traffic) Praveen Sood, students top the list of fatal accident victims late in the night and in the wee hours. "In the past three months, four students died after crashing into circles on the road leading to the airport. None of them was drunk, fast and negligent driving cost them their lives" Sood said.
"As we see, most of the accidents in which students die occur between 1am and 5am. This, because of the growing trend among youngsters to visit the coffee shop at BIA or take a jolly-ride to Nandi Hills late at night," he explained.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:03   #212
BHPian

I got caught near Marathahalli bridge once and I was doing around 70-80Kmph. I was coming from KR puram and the traffic was heavy till Marathahalli bridge. Once road is opened up I was trying catch some speed and they got me. I think the speed limit on that stretch is 60. Anyway paid the fine and left off.
Old 11th December 2010, 14:18   #213
BHPian

Re: Speed guns in Bangalore

Caught me today at Silkboard - E.City fly over. Asked to show the DL, and pay 300. Given DL to the saar sitting in front seat. While checking my speed with the gun guy, I asked him to show my speed. He moved the monitor and showed my vehicle(many other vehicle in screen, it was quite heavy traffic time) but I didnt see, what speed I was running. He just said I was in 100. Asked him to give print out stating speed and car details, he said his machine not working. I told the same to saar at front and asked the licence back. With out any refusal he gave it back.

So what happened there then, did he feed my details into his blackberry and will they make me pay next time?

During this process, there was huge argument between some other drivers and another police guy, saying they let flee few people they caught or those caught were in overspeed or something.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:11   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
Caught me today at Silkboard - E.City fly over. Asked to show the DL, and pay 300. Given DL to the saar sitting in front seat. While checking my speed with the gun guy, I asked him to show my speed. He moved the monitor and showed my vehicle(many other vehicle in screen, it was quite heavy traffic time) but I didnt see, what speed I was running. He just said I was in 100. Asked him to give print out stating speed and car details, he said his machine not working. I told the same to saar at front and asked the licence back. With out any refusal he gave it back.

So what happened there then, did he feed my details into his blackberry and will they make me pay next time?

During this process, there was huge argument between some other drivers and another police guy, saying they let flee few people they caught or those caught were in overspeed or something.
Actually, they are not supposed to fine you without giving you the printout showing the speed. This was told by a Inspector himself to my cousin who was caught speeding on the (new) Airport road. I don't think they will enter details in the blackberry and make you pay next time.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:18   #215
Senior - BHPian

^^ duh...!! I didnt realize the ECity-Silkboard flyover cops collect money without giving a printout. It amounts to bribe and should be denied by the driver.

PS- I always have fun at the flyover in my nano, it races till 60 (beyond that it takes it own time), but once in a while some smart pants gets irked by the 2-potter overtaking him at 50'ish, he decides to race - loser already - then invariably gets caught. LOL. So many times I have said to my wife 'hey see that guy, another KM down the soft righter, he is gonna repent racing a nano'!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th December 2010 at 16:19.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:15   #216
BHPian

I think we have a Speed Camera on Hosur Road

We all know about the SUV mounted speed camera's that Bangalore's traffic cops use to catch over-speeding vehicles. This thread is not about them.

Over the last 4-5 days, I've been noticing a yellow pole with a camera box up top as I commute to work via Hosur Road. It's right in the middle of the two lanes (under the elevated road) and seems to be aimed at vehicles moving from Electronics city to Silk Board.

Location: Its approximately 100 meters after the Honda showroom (if you are coming from EC to Silk Board). This stretch of road has people doing 80+ all the time.

Anyone else notice it? Sure does look like a speed camera to me. Will post pictures of it tomorrow. Anyone get a speeding ticket (check online) ?

Maybe its an ongoing trial for the equipment before its installed everywhere.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:30   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: I think we have a Speed Camera on Hosur Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
We all know about the SUV mounted speed camera's that Bangalore's traffic cops use to catch over-speeding vehicles. This thread is not about them.

Over the last 4-5 days, I've been noticing a yellow pole with a camera box up top as I commute to work via Hosur Road. It's right in the middle of the two lanes (under the elevated road) and seems to be aimed at vehicles moving from Electronics city to Silk Board.

Location: Its approximately 100 meters after the Honda showroom (if you are coming from EC to Silk Board). This stretch of road has people doing 80+ all the time.

Anyone else notice it? Sure does look like a speed camera to me. Will post pictures of it tomorrow. Anyone get a speeding ticket (check online) ?

Maybe its an ongoing trial for the equipment before its installed everywhere.
Could it be a normal camera? Some newspapers were talking about such cameras (need not necessarily be equipped with speed-monitoring gadgets) after a two-wheeler rider (a doctor I think) died after he was hit by a car.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:34   #218
BANNED

Good move. That road needs some monitoring.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:34   #219
BHPian

I did notice this and I don't think it's a speed gun to capture the violations if so many people should have got the tickets by this time. Most of people travel more than 80 on this road (at the stretch it's placed).
Old 20th January 2011, 13:05   #220
BHPian

Aren't there quite a few of them already, just cameras (no speed gun) mounted on yellow poles. There's one on Cubbon road for a few months already.

Also, one edition of Bangalore mirror published snaps of vehicular movement from these cameras.
Old 20th January 2011, 13:16   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Also, one edition of Bangalore mirror published snaps of vehicular movement from these cameras.
Here you can watch too: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System
Old 20th January 2011, 13:21   #222
BHPian

There is a similar camera on Mysore road just before RV college.

best regards

Vaseem
Old 20th January 2011, 16:47   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

The cameras mounted on yellow poles are not with speed guns.
Near my house at Chennamma circle (Devegowda petrol bunk) junction, they had this on the short yellow pole.
It used to flash during night to take shots. Sometimes it used to flash just after a signal turned red. This was giving the impression that it captured signal breakers. But it was just randomly timed shots.

Only the pole is left now and not the camera.
Later they removed it and put a camera on a tall pole.

Nowadays they are putting these cameras on tall poles and the cameras look like they can rotate 360degrees.

Once i was fined near the Hebbal lake ring road for going at 90kmph just after the signal.
after paying up I told the inspectors that they should make arrangements to make travel faster on such highways atleast. (while I know that the government is planning to have speed governors)
The average speed in bangalore is 16kmph (as per a TOI survey) and If we try to make up some time we are caught

He didn't speak anything as if to agree but i know that they are deaf ears
Old 20th January 2011, 21:21   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It used to flash during night to take shots. Sometimes it used to flash just after a signal turned red. This was giving the impression that it captured signal breakers. But it was just randomly timed shots.
Exactly why I thought it was a speed camera. I saw the flash in my rear view mirror. Whats the point of having such cameras if the shots are just at random intervals.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:32   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Pretty cool. It can be used to check for traffic flow in case of any traffic restrictions.

Yesterday, the road upto Kundalahalli juncation was supposed to be blocked because of the Kannada Nudi Threu procession and quite a few of us at work had no idea if the road was totally or partially blocked. This would have come in handy yesterday!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks