Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 21:17   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I spotted a Speed Gun on Old Airport Road near the Command Hospital positioned very well near a curve. Had caught a few, so drivers on the road beware.
They are permanently there, more so because of the tree shade
Old 6th April 2010, 21:20   #197
Senior - BHPian

What's the speed limit in the old airport rd/ command hospital area ? Are there any signboards on the speed limits - don't remember having seen any.
Old 21st July 2010, 06:03   #198
Senior - BHPian

on International news about speed cameras,

In span of about two-and-a-half years, Arizona's highway speed camera program, run by Australian company Redflex, mailed 1,105,935 tickets, or close to 1,125 tickets every day. In 2009, a group called CameraFraud went to work to get the cameras taken down, and after a year of effort they've been successful: Redflex shut the 78 fixed and mobile cameras down at midnight, July 16.

The group convinced Arizona's new governer, Jan Brewer, that the cameras were all about money. Brewer's predecessor, Janet Napolitano, had cited the fact that the cameras would bring in $120 million every year for the state. But since tickets needed to be delivered by process servers to those caught speeding in order to be legally binding, 66% of the violations were never paid. Instead of reaping $120 million annually, only $78 million was collected over the entire 2.5 years.

So speeding tickets mailed to home and not paid for is not a India-only problem. LOL. Even US has Chalta hain attitude I guess.

mods, if its not apt , delete this post. I can't go and make a new thread just for this post.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:04   #199
BHPian

I was fined once just after Anil Kumble circle, in the Cubbon road, opposite to Chinnaswamy stadium. I was the first guy in the signal and as soon as it turned green I took the turn and touched 65 kmph, but was flagged down. The inspector said the limit is 40kmph in that road and he had set the speed gun to catch only those going above 60. And I paid the fine and got the blackberry receipt.

I have spotted them in Bannerghatta road opposite to Apollo/Wockhardty many times, Koramagala inner ring road, and BIAL road almost every time I went to the airport at different locations.

If you dont see a board, stick to 40-50 range and you could be safe in the business district roads. ORR and others I think 60kmph may not attract attention.

Nainar
Old 27th October 2010, 08:48   #200
BHPian

Can we collaboratively build a speedgun database in/around Bangalore? If you have noticed an interceptor's usual location, you can add to the database for everyone's benefit. And people who uses a GPS (or GPS enabled phone during drive), may download the database (time to time) to their devices, and get reminded of possible presence of radar guns. To help, you don't even need a GPS. Remember the location where you see them, then go to google maps, scroll to the location, and find the longitude/latitude of the place (you can see that as tooltip if you enabled so). Once you find the location, update a common file with the speed limit.

For example, Garmin supports comma separated .csv file of the format LONG,LAT,PLACE@LIMIT,COMMENT that can directly be imported. For example, on my way to office in Outer Ring Road (near innovative multiplex) I see a pair of boleros with speed gun:

77.69922,12.94835,Interceptor@60,Police radar
77.69980,12.95160,Interceptor@60,Police radar

If I am above 60 near these points, the GPS makes a small 'ding' to remind me I may be approaching a speedgun.

If folks are interested, we can start a collaboratively edited .csv file.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:22   #201
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Can we collaboratively build a speedgun database in/around Bangalore? If you have noticed an interceptor's usual location, you can add to the database for everyone's benefit. And people who uses a GPS (or GPS enabled phone during drive), may download the database (time to time) to their devices, and get reminded of possible presence of radar guns. To help, you don't even need a GPS. Remember the location where you see them, then go to google maps, scroll to the location, and find the longitude/latitude of the place (you can see that as tooltip if you enabled so). Once you find the location, update a common file with the speed limit.

For example, Garmin supports comma separated .csv file of the format LONG,LAT,PLACE@LIMIT,COMMENT that can directly be imported. For example, on my way to office in Outer Ring Road (near innovative multiplex) I see a pair of boleros with speed gun:

If I am above 60 near these points, the GPS makes a small 'ding' to remind me I may be approaching a speedgun.

Most of the speed guns i have seen in bangalore are mobile type. they will be stationed at some place for a week and then moved to another. so it does not help much

the ones i have seen few montha back regularly are
1. Koramangal inner ring road evening time towards airport road flyover lane. morning opposite lane
2. Near Command hospital towards domlur side on turn. difficult to locate till last minute

I have not seen them during last two months
Old 27th October 2010, 11:36   #202
Senior - BHPian

What happens to out of state registered vehicles caught by the gun?

I was once on my way to the Airport in the evening on my TN registered bike. Traffic in most lanes was doing 80 kmph, I was slightly above it (The limit for bikes is 60 apparently!) but since I was overtaking in the right lane when the tried to flag me down I could not stop due to the heavy traffic.

Where do they send the speeding ticket now?
Old 27th October 2010, 11:38   #203
Senior - BHPian

Speed guns can be seen at any point of time near Mahadevpura ring road- Between Mahadevpura junction and EMC2 building. If you miss this then you will see one stationed below Marathahalli bridge-In front of Innovative multiplex. The next one(occasionally seen ) is in front of JP Morgan chase building- Prestige Tech Park.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:44   #204
BHPian

They have a permanent spot under a tree shade (near the JP nagar mini forest area). The road from delmia circle to mandovi. Have seen them several times at the same spot.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 11:49   #205
BHPian

Guys it'll be nice if you can identify the places in google maps, and post the co-ordinates and speed limit. Then we can collect them to a database usable by GPS enabled devices that can remind you of potential presence of radars.

(For example, I rarely visit JP Nagar, I don't even know Delmia circle; so I can't be expecting their presence but a soft beep in my GPS/phone may alert me ahead of time)
Old 27th October 2010, 13:11   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
What happens to out of state registered vehicles caught by the gun?

I was once on my way to the Airport in the evening on my TN registered bike. Traffic in most lanes was doing 80 kmph, I was slightly above it (The limit for bikes is 60 apparently!) but since I was overtaking in the right lane when the tried to flag me down I could not stop due to the heavy traffic.

Where do they send the speeding ticket now?
Probably, they won't send you a ticket. If they have noted your number, they will just record it in their database (through the blackberry) and if you get caught next time, they will check the vehicle number for any pending cases and then fine you accordingly.

When I was caught for speeding under the Marathhalli bridge, I saw the SI checking my car details in his blackberry and it displayed 'No cases pending' on the screen.

You can check if your vehicle number has been noted on this website

BTIS - Traffic Fines
Old 27th October 2010, 16:27   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post

Get onto Waze and its even simpler. Just press on the report menu and it will mark that point of road with a "Police trap" notification sent to everyone around.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:39   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Probably, they won't send you a ticket. If they have noted your number, they will just record it in their database (through the blackberry) and if you get caught next time, they will check the vehicle number for any pending cases and then fine you accordingly.

When I was caught for speeding under the Marathhalli bridge, I saw the SI checking my car details in his blackberry and it displayed 'No cases pending' on the screen.

You can check if your vehicle number has been noted on this website

BTIS - Traffic Fines
I'm safe for now !!

Actually have had this issue twice, both time the cop tried stopping me late and by the time I spotted them I could not stop soon enough. So both times they did not note down my number.

I'm wary of these guys now that I've know where they are on my usual routes!
Old 12th November 2010, 14:35   #209
BHPian

In US, some of them use Radar Gun tracking in their cars to detect that Speed Gun signal. And hence they slow down based on a beep sound. I experienced this during NY to Atlanta trip in my friend's car. Not sure if this is available in India.
Old 12th November 2010, 18:57   #210
Team-BHP Support

I travel from Silk board to ITPL everyday. I see the Interceptors (the vehicles that have the speed guns installed) regularly of late :

- after Bellandur signal, near about the Chroma showroom
- 50m after Marathahalli bridge is over ( just before the ice cream shop)

Be careful!

Though one thing offends me : How we (common man) are caught for the smallest things by the Bangalore Police but one of the RASHEST drivers in Bangalore (read : the Vajra and Vayu Vajra drivers) go scot free. Hardly once or twice have I seen a cop note down the vehicle and time details when a Vajra driver broke a traffic rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks