Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 18:27   #136
Team-BHP Support

Today there was an interceptor on Hosur road while coming from electronics city towards silk board just before bomanahalli next to Oxford university. Best part was they parked the Tavera on the right most lane of the highway and were catching cars.
Old 19th June 2009, 01:13   #137
BHPian

Yesterday I went to the airport, and found two interceptors on either side of the road near the airport, with lots of cars held. But I must say for the first time in Bangalore I saw disciplined traffic on this road from Hebbal to airport. Everyone trying not to exceed 80kph and just driving in line without changing lanes. The best thing being they have speed limit marked on many boards and written on the road also! It was just effortless driving, but just before entering Bangalore city :-). Hope this becomes the norm in whole of Bangalore.

Last edited by asethi : 19th June 2009 at 01:15.
Old 19th June 2009, 01:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Yesterday I went to the airport, and found two interceptors on either side of the road near the airport, with lots of cars held. But I must say for the first time in Bangalore I saw disciplined traffic on this road from Hebbal to airport. Everyone trying not to exceed 80kph and just driving in line without changing lanes. The best thing being they have speed limit marked on many boards and written on the road also! It was just effortless driving, but just before entering Bangalore city :-). Hope this becomes the norm in whole of Bangalore.
I got caught once and have never broken speed limit since, on that road
Old 19th June 2009, 09:37   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Interceptors exist in our city only for making the moolah.

The cops are more interested in pinning down violators (Mostly Private cars), turning a blind eye to the ever rash BMTC buses, empty Sand Lorries, Mini Trucks and 'et al.

These interceptors are always (and often) placed where the stretch is straight and there is every possibility that the cars would cross that 80kmph limit without a noise. Personally, I have felt that 80-90kmph for today's cars is a safe limit considering the braking and handling abilities they are equipped with.

Incidentally, While one may be doing 80kmph easily by a car, it is no surprise that the BMTC Bus, an empty truck would be running parallel with you on the other lane at the same speed!! End of it all, the cops catch you since you are THE scapegoat.

Ironically, like many mentioned, they way the cops park these interceptors blocking one lane completely leads to chaos as traffic tries changing lanes or brake harder spotting these bunch of law makers (Err breakers)!!

Off Topic, but on Mysore road, I Once stopped and spoke to the cops asking them why they turn a blind eye for all those sand trucks parked haphazardly near petty stalls or why cant they fine them for overloading for which our inspector in uniform responds "Saar, We don't have authority to penalise trucks for overloading and it is the RTO which does that " and on the flip side, yesterday, while waiting for a Bus at the Tumkur Road - Ring Road Junction (Towards BEL Circle), These cops were busy stopping all trucks which they "assumed" to be overloaded by the look of it. They were stopping them immediately after they took that left from Tumkur Road, thus ensuring that a Jam was created. Just 20 meters away, three Tempos (Maxi Cabs is what they call), easily picking up passengers since 15 minutes just under the no parking board.

Once, while stopping me to check my documents (Near BDA Junction), I simply asked this constable as to what is the fine for takling on Mobile while driving and he said 100/- (This was in August 2008) and on the same day near Safina Plaza I was stopped again for documents and I shot the same question to the cop who says "300/- Saaar". Myself and my Dad looked at each other's face and started smiling for this.

I told him, that being a single department you folks have different numbers for the same offence for which he didnt have any answer. I then asked him what section of the Violation/offence will he categorize this for which he said "Taaalking aan Mobile". I am wondering as there is no section of the law which defines this offence and hence they fine this under "Dangerous Driving" or "Rash Driving".
(:: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Spot Fines ::)

Long back there was an article in the newspapers that due to the increasing menace of talking while driving and since no such Act Exists the police either fine that as Dangerous or Rash Driving.

He responds saying he'll fine for both Dangerous and Rash Driving in that case . I was left baffled and then finally this cops does a "Namaste" indian style and asks me to leave with a smile(Hoogi Saar), quite realizing that I am aware of the laws.

I have had this argument with cops many a times and as usual, never got an acceptable answer. I have written to the newpapers, mails published but to no avail. We are just too complacent for having accepted these things which "Keep happening".

While I post all this, I am not against the cops doing their bit but they are obviously being so oblivious to these law breakers which boils one's blood at times (many a times these days!)

It is not smart gadjets which will do, it is smart policing!!!

Our cops must start from Basics, We've seen the failure of Blackberrys, Auto lane and Bus lane system, the infamous ZERO TOLERANCE ZONE on MG Road. What happened Saar?
Old 19th June 2009, 10:00   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Absolutely, the airport drive is not that stressful these days, with cars maintaining 80kmph max and no mad overtaking or blinking light. I still found none of the Volvos following speed limit.I know for sure because me myself was doing 80kmph and a Volvo over took me in a giffy and must be doing 100+ for sure. Dont know why the cops cant catch them.

Nainar
Old 20th June 2009, 18:02   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Absolutely, the airport drive is not that stressful these days, with cars maintaining 80kmph max and no mad overtaking or blinking light. I still found none of the Volvos following speed limit.I know for sure because me myself was doing 80kmph and a Volvo over took me in a giffy and must be doing 100+ for sure. Dont know why the cops cant catch them.

Nainar
I ask a cop about why they are not catching public buses and his reply was that they take note of the number and send a challan to BTC/KSRTC. I just laughed out loud. who in BTC/ KSRTC will care to pay.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:16   #142
BHPian

For the first time, saw the speed interceptor vehicle next to old madras rd Big Bazaar.This was at around 3 PM yesterday afternoon, targeting vehicles coming from KR Puram.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:54   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
For the first time, saw the speed interceptor vehicle next to old madras rd Big Bazaar.This was at around 3 PM yesterday afternoon, targeting vehicles coming from KR Puram.
Yep, i saw that - i was travelling in a BMTC bus for a change!
Old 15th July 2009, 12:53   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Two more which I'm seeing since the past few days:-

1. Just before Mekhri Circle
Target - Motorists coming from Sadashivnagar Police Station hitting the Mekhri Circle

2. Opposite to Chinnaswamy Stadium (Towards Minsk Square).
Target - All those who take right at Jewel-De-Paragon Signal to reach Minsk Square/GPO.

I can understand the first one since you gain good speed after starting from Sadashivnagar Police station by the time you cross the Kendriya Vidyalaya and reach Mekhri Circle.

The Second one is useless, as only the first few vehicles at the signal will accelerate faster to reach minsk square. Others usually follow the slow moving traffic always. Imagine being stopped at this place? It will be chaos as other following will have to abruptly slow down as one lane is blocked by these law makers and the distance between JDP and Minsk Square signal is not even a Kilometer.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:19   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yep, i saw that - i was travelling in a BMTC bus for a change!
Its still there at very same spot.

Targeting those frustrated guys who start to press the pedal after so much of time waiting under the bridge traffic!
Old 15th July 2009, 13:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an interceptor yesterday afternoon at around 5:00pm on the ORR near the Kammanahalli junction, was catching vehicles that were speeding between the Kamanahalli - Nagavara trafffic.
Old 16th July 2009, 00:12   #147
Senior - BHPian

Spotted the "Interceptor" on Bannerghatta Main Road, catching vehicles running towards the Arekere signal. They are stationed just opposite the "Entry" gate of Wockhardt Hospital...
Old 16th July 2009, 10:37   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Spotted the "Interceptor" on Bannerghatta Main Road, catching vehicles running towards the Arekere signal. They are stationed just opposite the "Entry" gate of Wockhardt Hospital...
I saw that too and it stays there quiet often these days. Bloody that road is choked to death before they stand and just another 200 meters after they stand there is another choking point. Buggers want to just pass time I guess. Or they have more SpeedGuns and want to use it some way or the other.

JDP to Minsk square is also a joke. It is less than a kilometer between signals and they want to tag speeding.

My only worry is these zealots dont go all the way and deploy them in GQ roads to limit the speed to laughable 80kmph.

Nainar
Old 16th July 2009, 10:42   #149
BANNED

Quote:
that road is choked to death before they stand and just another 200 meters after they stand there is another choking point.

JDP to Minsk square is also a joke. It is less than a kilometer between signals and they want to tag speeding.
One is less then 200 mts and the other is less then a km. People still accelerate to 60+ in such short distances? what for?

And we are cribbing about being caught for that?

One car @40kmph will take 1 min 30 secs to complete one kilometer. Whereas a car @70kmph(to break the speed limit) will take 51 odd seconds. The later is saving 39 secs and breaking rules.

I think its a good to have the Speed Guns there to teach these speeding morons some lessons in traffic etiquette.

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th July 2009 at 10:48.
Old 16th July 2009, 11:18   #150
BHPian

Quote:
My only worry is these zealots dont go all the way and deploy them in GQ roads to limit the speed to laughable 80kmph.
Nainar
They already have deployed one between the Tumkur-Belgaum, but exactly don't know where!

Some days back saw one on the ORR just after Marathalli towards Intel. I was following a Verna at almost 80kmph, but I had to slow down as an auto suddenly came in front. Few moments later, the Verna guy was stopped by the interceptor, and I just narrowly escaped! I think first time I'll thank the auto driver for slowing me down !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks