300+ kmph 30 2.11%
Voters: 1424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2005, 20:44   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
that gadget you're holding, it's digital speedo? Is it a GPS device, or just a digital thing you connect to your bike. How does it calculate speed?

Hey Shan2nu,

Thats a bicycle speedo. Quite a common accessory for road bikes (bicycles).

The way most of them work is that the housing has a wire comming out of it which has a sensor on the end, which is mounted on one arm of the front fork, facing the wheel.
Then a tiny reflector/trigger/magnet? (depending on working of the particular device) is fixed onto one of the spokes to line up with the sensor, so as to trigger the sensor each time the thing on the spoke passes (ie each revolution).
This way it can sense RPM of the wheel, depending on how many times the sensor is triggered per minute.
Then on the displaybox you simply choose the diameter of your wheel.
And wallah, it calculates your speed, along with other functions like top recorded speed, distance etc etc.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th January 2005 at 20:46.
Old 12th January 2005, 20:49   #182
Senior - BHPian

ok, pretty simple device.

Shan2nu
Old 12th January 2005, 20:59   #183
BHPian

yup Rehaan got it right there, only thing i'd like to add is that it measures speed very accurately uptil 160mph (provided you enter the correct wheelsize ofcourse). And these bike computers are used even on superbikes abroad to get an accurate speed reading. Next best thing to this is a speed (radar) gun, which is what we currently use here in bangalore. Thanks for the compliments guyz, this run happened 2 years ago and since then i have had the bike modded to full drag spec. Hope to break the 200kmph barrier soon
Old 12th January 2005, 21:55   #184
Senior - BHPian

hey if you're gonna be doing all these tests, why not invest in a good GPS testing device. They're pretty good, you might get one for around 20-25K.

The Vbox II ofcourse is for the real pros. I heard even Ferrari, test their cars using this device. Top Gear too has it. And not to forget our own Overdrive and Autocar India.

But it's xpensive, costs more than a lakh i guess.

Shan2nu
Old 13th January 2005, 17:23   #185
Senior - BHPian

well here's my top speeds

144 - Dad's Alto VXi(1100cc)
125 - On my Pulsar 180Dtsi
120 - On a friends CBR 400 RR ( was riding it 1st time hence the low top speed)

These are all speedo indicated speeds
Old 14th January 2005, 12:02   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer
my best so far is 177kmph on my modified rd350. This was on sarjapur ring road, Bangalore 2 years ago.
Woah Mate,
That is 'Killer' speed on an RD.. Awesome... 177, boy that is simply amazing....
Man u still have the ride?!!

Last edited by vinsanity : 14th January 2005 at 12:04.
Old 17th January 2005, 10:06   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
that cool man.So what other cars do u race?
cheers,
Raihan
sorry bout the late reply bro ..

whn i had my Integra ...we raced a lotta cars ...

camaros ...stangs ...even a GT once .. eclipse ..civics ..sebring

we used to meet up at the parking lot and like 4 -5 cars

thn ...hit the highway ..cut lanes n stuff ....rolling drags ..but mustangs killed on the top ends ..or maybe they were better drivers ...stnad still drags they have no chance they burn rubber for too long.. max i ever did in mi car was 235 but i guess it cud touch a 250 ..but we mostly picked up drags at stop lights ..

once mi frend was driving n we picked up a drag wid a yellow rx-8 n i swear dat car did almost 100ks in first gear ...once we played wid a 911 on the higway ... we passed by it n started revving .. n let him pass us ...thn repeat the same thing again ... he was an old guy ( like 45s) ..n the moment we thot he was least bothered .... he down shifted n shot past us ..wotta sight ...thenegine sounded soo sweeet. we followed from a distance but only caught up whn he slowed down ...

we sold our integra las year 8000 canadian dollars ( 2.6 lacs INR) am sure a lotta ppl wud wanna buy it in india at dat price amazing car to modd .. b4 we came to india .. we had a blast in it ... gr8 memories ..now we got a chrysler intrepid .. but its not mine .. mi housemate bought it .. nice looking sedan ..

cheeers
Old 23rd January 2005, 19:42   #188
Senior - BHPian

Well, here's what I've managed:

Honda City 1.5 : 185 km/h at which point speed limiter would cut in
Ford Mondeo : 225 km/h
Hyundai Getz : 165 km/h

All three were flat to the floor, and pulled hard through the gears to get there. All three were on the Bombay-Pune expressway! Honda did it with 195/60-14 Falken ZE-502s, Hyundai with 185/60-14 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2s, Ford with stock 205/55-16 Goodyear NCT-5s (the worst tyres I have ever had in the wet!).
Old 23rd January 2005, 20:18   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda City 1.5 : 185 km/h at which point speed limiter would cut in
Hmm, yeah. The city 1.5 is limited to 172kmph (true speed) in 4th gear - at 6800rpm. Considering the speedo error, you must have seen the indicated 185kmph on your speedo.

The Vtec on the other hand never maxes out in 4th, it's top speed of 185kmph (true speed) comes before it's 7100 redline. If it could max out in 4th, it would have a top speed of around 205kmph (TS).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd January 2005 at 20:24.
Old 23rd January 2005, 21:12   #190
Senior - BHPian

I'm not too sure about this, because I sold my City over three years ago, but I think I used to hit the speed limiter in fifth, and I was nowhere near the red-line in that gear. At the time I talked to Linkway about it but they couldn't give me any more info on it.

Also, while I don't doubt the speedo was over-reading (as most cars' tend to) my 14" rims and tyres had a circumference 2.5% larger than stock, so perhaps it was actaully going around 175 or thereabouts.
Old 23rd January 2005, 21:33   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but I think I used to hit the speed limiter in fifth, and I was nowhere near the red-line in that gear. At the time I talked to Linkway about it but they couldn't give me any more info on it.
Thats bcoz the 5th gear is an Overdrive, meant for cruising. Only the Accent CRDI redlines in 5th. All other cars achieve their top speed in either their 4th ger or in 5th. It's normal for the City 1.5 if it does not redline in 5th.

I'm guessing that since your top speed in 4th is limited by the engine and not aerodynamics, ther will be some room for furthur acceleration in 5th (but you can't say for sure). Anyway the City 1.5 has an actual top speed of 170-172kmph.

Shan2nu
Old 24th January 2005, 00:34   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75
Hyundai with 185/60-14 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2s,
Lol !!! Nice!!
It must be fun to throw that Getz around with those tires on!!! How about some pics please??

Whats was your opinion on the falken tires on the city?

cya
R
Old 24th January 2005, 00:49   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I'm guessing that since your top speed in 4th is limited by the engine and not aerodynamics, ther will be some room for furthur acceleration in 5th (but you can't say for sure). Anyway the City 1.5 has an actual top speed of 170-172kmph.

Shan2nu
That's what I was getting at; my car was actually capable of going faster in 5th than 4th, but in 5th it was speed limited at 185 km/h (indicated). Every time I got to 185, the throttle went dead (fuel cutoff) for about half a second, by which time speed would drop to about 180 or so, when it would come back on.

I asked Honda if therev limit was set lower for 5th gear and they said no, so it was definitely speed related, not rpm related.
Old 24th January 2005, 00:58   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Lol !!! Nice!!
It must be fun to throw that Getz around with those tires on!!! How about some pics please??

Whats was your opinion on the falken tires on the city?

cya
R
Well actually the tyres have helped a lot. I was originally going to buy a set of 15" Neo Avalon rims and use the 205/50-15 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s, but after putting them on the car, I didn't like the way the rims looked (because of how much Hyundai have raised the car). So I decided to save the money and kept my original Hyundai alloys (which at first I thought were the ugliest alloys in the world!) and bought 14" GS-D2s instead (they are less than half the price of the new GS-D3s!).

Not much point in posting pics, because the car looks stock (except for the tyres). The car is quite high so though I have a lot of mechanical grip, body roll is a big thing. Even so, I can corner quite hard now and launching the car is a breeze, wheel spin certainly isn't an issue!

The Falkens on the City were fabulous! I actually thought those were the best tyres I'd ever used back then (the GS-D3 Eagle F1s on my Mondeo are the best today). I actually had a pretty severe accident in POURING rain on the expressway in that car, and thanks to the tyres, I'm able to tell the tale. Fortunately, I was alone and though I was badly shaken, walked away without a scratch.
Old 24th January 2005, 02:00   #195
Team-BHP Support

Hey kbk,

Well im glad you didnt opt for the D3s on the Getz as i feel that would be overkill... especially with a 205 treadwidth!!!!

I would still be interested to see a pic of the car... take a 3/4th front pic and turn the front tire out towards the camera.... the reason i would like to see a pic is coz i left bombay just when the Getzez were getting on the road and i havent yet got a chance to see what seems like a handsome car with some subtle changes ie tyres alloys etc.

Is your mondeo black?.... i remember seeing a black mondeo with D3s on peddar road...being driven by a driver!! I was gonna say that it was very strange that your Getz had EagleF1s and your mondeo still had the stock goodyears!!! glad u got that fixed.

Honestly, a good set of tires is a very worthy investment in safety! Although personally im kinda 50-50 about whether my tires make my car safer or just make me drive faster!!! lol

cya
R
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks