Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 12:03   #571
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I dont feel there's any need to behave so violently.
I said i feel like that. I dont do it.

Quote:
I beg all on this thread to stop ranting.
Duh? This is the My Rant on Bangalore Traffic. Its officially agreed to rant on this thread.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:57   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
"Done" as in, a fine.. or were they towed away?
Scary, if the towing was on similar lines as a thread on the forum suggests.
It was a fine thank god - all the cars had a paper ticket on them to be paid within 24hours else the notice will be sent home. Might wait for the latter then it is easier to pay at a Bangalore one office rather than a dreary police station
Old 17th April 2009, 13:05   #573
Senior - BHPian

On Wednesday morning way to my office on ORR an SX4(looked pretty new) over took me from left, i was in middle lane and to my right there was more then enough space for a bus or a truck to pass but this guy seemed like a new driver with very little road sense overtook me from left cutting very close to my bike.... i missed him in couple of inches.

I really lost my cool and chased this guy caught him at the signal, before i asked he pulled down his window and gave me a smile and apologized.... this calmed me down.
since traffic started to move could not say anything but thought if i dint slow down i would have had a bad day!

This guy looked like an IT professional, seemed to be a new driver but his lack of road sense/irresponsible driving could have been proved very bad for me...

Loads of drivers/riders and other road users like him are making a mess of Bangalore roads and we need rant about them!
Old 17th April 2009, 13:33   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Most people just don't want to follow rules and are not disciplined; they dont want too.
Its mainly a matter of discipline than awareness..

If people don't follow rules by choice, it has to be Forced !!

E.g, the lane discipline.
There are enough boards along the ORR and NH that heavy vehicles not allowed on the extreme right lane. But still there are many slow moving trucks occupying the right lane and obstructing the traffic.

If the cops fine them heavily ( above Rs.1000) for a week, none of the truck driver will ever move to the right lane
Old 17th April 2009, 13:41   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thats a stupid article. Its like turn a blind eye to the lack of traffic sense in the city because it has the highest percipitaion (leading to potholes so we have to leave with it) and that there are good places to visit in the city.

The percipitaion figures he has got from are wrong. LOL.
its precipitation..!!
Quote:
The article gives no suggetion to better the traffic instead asks us to grin and bear the problem.

I will reset my mindset but the next time a auto/bus/cab/private car drives across my path i would want to reset the drivers face.
hahahaha, awesome dude, good one, had a hearty laugh, nice joke man, got to give it to you, best of luck
Old 17th April 2009, 13:59   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
E.g, the lane discipline.
There are enough boards along the ORR and NH that heavy vehicles not allowed on the extreme right lane. But still there are many slow moving trucks occupying the right lane and obstructing the traffic.

If the cops fine them heavily ( above Rs.1000) for a week, none of the truck driver will ever move to the right lane
Yup you are right they dont follow the rules laid down, may be they dont understand them. Many a times after getting stuck behind these trucks I feel like venting my anger too but then this thought comes to my mind "if they were educated they would not have ended up driving trucks / autos / call centre cabs" and I leave it there, I squarely put the blame on the authorities they should issue licence based on some criterias which will keep them disciplined even if the drivers are not educated enough.

I have seen cops imposing fines and mentioned a incident of a BTMC bus driver getting rapped for jumping a red light in a thread, but I have clicked snaps of a cop getting their palms greased too on MG Road when a truck driver was paying some money to drive through.

Discipline starts at home they say, wish the Cops adhere to rules too as I see them zipping in "no entry" and on one ways; especially the Hosur road section from St. Anthonys Church to Total Mall in the name of emergency which seems to be a daily happening.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:18   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Yup you are right they dont follow the rules laid down, may be they dont understand them. Many a times after getting stuck behind these trucks I feel like venting my anger too but then this thought comes to my mind "if they were educated they would not have ended up driving trucks / autos / call centre cabs" and I leave it there, I squarely put the blame on the authorities they should issue licence based on some criterias which will keep them disciplined even if the drivers are not educated enough.

I have seen cops imposing fines and mentioned a incident of a BTMC bus driver getting rapped for jumping a red light in a thread, but I have clicked snaps of a cop getting their palms greased too on MG Road when a truck driver was paying some money to drive through.

Discipline starts at home they say, wish the Cops adhere to rules too as I see them zipping in "no entry" and on one ways; especially the Hosur road section from St. Anthonys Church to Total Mall in the name of emergency which seems to be a daily happening.
yup, this happens always on ring road en route whitefield, all the heavy vehicles take the right lane despite all the warning signs, pathetic.

@Hurrycane12 : I agree dude, educated intellectuals should atleast bring a halt to this mahem, no point in trying to explain driving etiquette to illiterate drivers, I wonder how they get driving licenses ??

Last edited by gajsh : 17th April 2009 at 14:21.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:43   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Sample these-
  1. Almost 90% of the BMTC buses (Regulars or the Volvos) never ever stop at the proper designated spot defined for them. Partly blame this due to the overcrowded stops where passengers spill over to the road and also due the fierce competition these drivers indulge if their buses are taking and almost common route. i.e - Flee as many passengers into their bus by blocking each other. We Bangalorens know it all!
  2. At various intersections, most of these buses always & usually occupy the most opposite lane to the direction they want to turn to. So, even when the Signal turns green to move straight/left, these monsters hold up traffic behind them causing jams.
  3. Point 2 also leads them to dangerous cut across the traffic and take abrupt lefts and rights while others heading straight are stuck.
  4. On Wider roads and ORRs these buses always run on two lanes occupying half of both the lanes and never move to give way to the overtaking/fast moving traffic.
  5. During peak hour Jams, wherever (and however) possible, they will always get into the short cut mode by driving over the service roads (common feature on ORR) blocking traffic there as well.
  6. They never ever signal to stop and they do it quite abruptly, giving anxious moments for new drivers in the city. Lesson is that you realise where is the next bus stop and follow them at your own risk.To add to this, their tail/Brake lamps are never functional. And you bet, even the Hitech Volvo B7Rs suffer from this "Known Issue" and I have complained Volvo India Trucks regarding this malfunctioning of Tail/Brake lamps of most of the volvos and awaiting response as I took the pain to get down at a Signal and ask the driver as to whether it was tampered or it was a genuine problem for which he responded with the latter which made me complain to Volvo.
I had even written an email to the BMTC/KSRTC Divisional manager regarding the rash and negligent driving by these drivers for which I havent received any response till date (height of expectation that will be).
Old 17th April 2009, 14:52   #579
BANNED

On ORR, one has parked cars/lorries/people standing for buses, the chai shop everyone taking the leftmost lane. Where do you think the truck drivers will drive? They will move to the right most lanes to avoid stopping for each of these.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:18   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
On ORR, one has parked cars/lorries/people standing for buses, the chai shop everyone taking the leftmost lane. Where do you think the truck drivers will drive? They will move to the right most lanes to avoid stopping for each of these.
If a private vehicle is parked on the road, the cops will fine the person, or tow it away at times. A cab parked on the road, or a fleet of autos belonging to an auto union is never asked to move/fined.

As for truckers along the ORR, they still have the middle lane to drive on, leaving the rightmost lane free.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:11   #581
BHPian

gajsh: You want to know how people get licenses? I can tell you my case as a classic example.

I applied for a license at the Koramangala RTO. I appeared for the test and I was asked the color of the car and where it was parked then the Inspector told me you go and start the car and go around and I will watch you from the Balcony (of the BDA complex Koramangala) and I was to drive back and forth in the lane and then do the same with a Bike and come back to him for his judgement. Luckly I got my license.

I hope you understand how so many would have go their Licenses; the day I went for test there were at-least 10-15 guys like me who went around on their own some with the driving class folks.

Educated folks should help out but you think it helps; these drivers act and behave like goons and get local support, while lack of local language becomes a hindrance for a lot of people like me.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:27   #582
BHPian

Quote:
gajsh: You want to know how people get licenses? I can tell you my case as a classic example.

I applied for a license at the Koramangala RTO. I appeared for the test and I was asked the color of the car and where it was parked then the Inspector told me you go and start the car and go around and I will watch you from the Balcony (of the BDA complex Koramangala) and I was to drive back and forth in the lane and then do the same with a Bike and come back to him for his judgement. Luckly I got my license.

I hope you understand how so many would have go their Licenses; the day I went for test there were at-least 10-15 guys like me who went around on their own some with the driving class folks.

Educated folks should help out but you think it helps; these drivers act and behave like goons and get local support, while lack of local language becomes a hindrance for a lot of people like me.
Hurrycane12, when I pondered "I wonder how they get driving licenses ??", I mean't how our great corrupted stupid indian constitution and its setup allows illiterate people to have licenses. I know how people get licenses, I took up the driving test twice and the ******* failed me the first time because I refused to bribe him. Anyways, I was wondering how come our genius politicians and bureacrats haven't thought of putting an end to this passing on licenses to illiterates (There is a law that handicapped persons cannot get licenses, not the majority of them atleast(Only some special cases get licenses), so on similar lines, they should be not dolling out licenses to these illit idiots, it will solve half the problem I guess, just imagine the city full of civilized drivers, wow, quite a sight.

I agree they act like goons, but the "local support" they get is also from goons, not civilized people. As far as the hindrance is concerned, learn mate learn !!, never too late.

Last edited by gajsh : 17th April 2009 at 16:30.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:27   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gajsh:

Hurrycane, don't you think its common every where? and as gajsh mentioned only goons get involved in such acts..

Few years back while riding to Mumbai i met with an accident on Kohlapur, it was a empty road and all because of some issue with my bikes suspension i lost control and none was around when it happened...
shockingly when the highway patrol arrived i saw a group forming and telling that i was riding rashly and was about to hit someone blah blah luckily my friends who were good in talking could make those guys quiet...

So everywhere we will find this kind of people....!
Old 17th April 2009, 17:58   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hurrycane, don't you think its common every where? and as gajsh mentioned only goons get involved in such acts..

So everywhere we will find this kind of people....!
Agree with you that this is a common instance; infact I too had a issue on my way to Coorg and with local supports help I wriggled out of the situation.

I agree with gajsh that basically the involvement is more to do with the local goons, but in the city most of the time people stand by the person who speak the local language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajsh View Post
As far as the hindrance is concerned, learn mate learn !!, never too late.
OT: Learning is not a issue as being a Mangy my family speaks the local language but not the same case for me, can't utilize speaking skills at office , I tried at a local store and was a laughing stock.
Old 17th April 2009, 19:11   #585
BHPian

My experience at Traffic signal

Yesterday i witnessed an incident at the BTM - Udupi garden signal. The time was around 9:30 PM and i was waiting at the signal with my cousin on his bike ( This bike has KL reg ) for the signal to turn green.

Out of no where i see a biker with a pillion push through the signal. He comes just behind us and starts honking. Completely confused i looked back at him and to my surprise these guys start abusing me and my cousin in Kannada. Even before i could realize what was happening these guys manage to sneaks through us and starts to move ahead.

To my great surprise the pillion rider gets out of the bike and heads straight toward the middle of the road trying to blocking the traffic, while his friend on the bike, tries desperately to move ahead and all this while the traffic signal is RED.

These morons actually manage to get to the other side of the road ( After piling up a huge block ) and finally ride away to glory. This entire episode happened under the watchful eyes of the traffic cops who did nothing but watch these guys go past.

The whole episode kept me thinking about the sad state bangalore is in now. These illiterate morons just don't care about the rules and take pride in breaking them. To a large extend these kind of people are responsible for creating bottlenecks on the road. Unfortunately not many of us would want to react/argue with these kind of people as we mostly come from other states and would not want to be a victim to some illiterate hooligans....but where is this beautiful city heading to ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks