Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 12:37   #976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If there are any employee's of Verizon here you guys need to try and bring around some sense in your colleagues. From now on if i see any resume with Verizon experience coming up its going to be binned.
What is this a collateral damage scenario.

Can you claim that everyone in your company does not violate traffic rules.

Agreed that guy is an Idiot. He fails to understand how his driver is holding traffic and being a nuisance on the roads. But unfortunately he belongs to the big majority.

If you implement your rule, I doubt if you will be able to hire anyone from ANY company in India.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:40   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Manipal Hospital - U Turn. 1012 AM.
<snip>
You really have put quite some effort there and sad to see it all wasted. It is this precise attitude that has made me stop advicing anyone. It is definitely not worth it.

Yesterday, I went to the Forum from Indiranagar and what a horrible drive that was. The IRR driving was mad by everyone. All Educated folks and wonder why they drive like that. I took 90 minutes for the trip

After crossing Ejipura Signal I moved to right lane because I was taking a right at Sony World. Comes this Yellow Lancer SFXi on my left and cuts right across me when my bonnet was past his passenger seat. Idiot. I had to brake hard and then he cuts back to the middle lane soon after same way. Useless Drivers.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:56   #978
BHPian

I am not a saint and certainly am a Sinner , but I really cant understand why there is a thread only on the Bangalore traffic scenario

Is it that ALL other states in India have better traffic than Bangalore?
I was born and brought up here and have spent quite a few years on the road. Bangalore traffic was NOT all that bad maybe 5 years back. Now it has gotten real bad.

What is it because of?

I see lots of BHP'ians here saying that it is 'someone' else's mistake , would you ever take time to put down mistakes you have made?. I am sure all of us think we are great drivers, but are we really ?

Not to be sounding like a patriotic Bangalorean , if there is something like that , but every state has it's own set of people making mistakes. I think the number of vehicles from out of state drivers/riders is the most in Bangalore.

Take some time out when each of you are going to work and check the number plates of vehicles from out of state. They all contribute to the MESS , so I dont feel 'Bangalore' is at fault at all like the thread is made out to be.

I dont think it is right to have everyone having a GO at the Bangalore traffic scene , every place is as bad or some are even worse.

Yes , Bangalore traffic is bad , but if you cant do anything about it , might as well shut it.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:26   #979
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire, want to reiterate that we need more people like you, am sure there are very few of your kind

RP, i think here Bangalore is not at fault but the ITboom/development has bought such scenario. today i see almost every house having a vehicle and the once related to IT field they are going for a car(many). so now everyone who purchases the vehicles dont have the road manners nor they are sensible enough to understand that they just buy the vehicle and not the road!

Last edited by lohithrao : 9th October 2009 at 15:28.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:57   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Manipal Hospital - U Turn. 1012 AM.

If there are any employee's of Verizon here you guys need to try and bring around some sense in your colleagues. From now on if i see any resume with Verizon experience coming up its going to be binned.
In my Office we do have a compulsory Defensive Driving Training Course that one needs to complete, before one can bring his/her car to the Office. Still I wouldn't claim that my Officemates are saints.

The main problem here, once again is that
  • folks do not follow lane discipline
  • those who follow lane discipline are considered idiots
  • those who follow traffic rules are considered as inferior drivers (or learners) who can be scared to death
Several times I have taken on these guys (my greatest friends are the 335E drivers) by overtaking them and stopping right in front of them.

But, This doesn't help, these idots don't learn, they don't even know that they have done a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
I am not a saint and certainly am a Sinner , but I really cant understand why there is a thread only on the Bangalore traffic scenario

See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1428469
Old 9th October 2009, 16:03   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
That's my Question: Why ONLY Bangalore.?
Old 9th October 2009, 16:15   #982
BHPian

Quote:
That's my Question: Why ONLY Bangalore.?
Oh yes, there's one on Madras - see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-chennai.html

When you browse through this Madras thread (which has a numbers of photos) take a look at, for example
  • where the vehicles have stopped at the signal
  • where the bikes are and the cars are on the road
  • what is the height of the road median
  • etc.
There could be horrible roads / traffic jams in Madras, but for some reason folks who contribute to this thread are not highlighting those.

By the way, back in Bangalore, I forgot to add one more thing:
  • City where road medians (if they exist) are so low that they are conveniently used as U-turn points
  • City where policemen have only a tattered notebook in their hands - they do not have any other mode of transport to catch a traffic offender
Once when in Madras, opposite Spencer Plaza, I saw a stick-wielding policeman breaking (Yes, BREAKING, right in front of my eyes) the glass / lights of all the autos parked in a NO PARKING zone. If you cross the STOP line in a signal, the fine is Rs.100/-- There are cameras everywhere (heard that some of them are not working, lately).

Once in Madras when I was travelling from Thiruvanmiyur to Central to catch the 0600 Shatabdi (Train # 2007/2008), my taxi driver STOPPED the car in a red signal at 0500 in the morning when no one else was in the road - his fear: Cameras!

And I have seen many Accent Patrol cars in the city of Madras.

Would be great to do an OBJECTIVE comparison on Traffic Management between Bangalore and Madras.
Old 9th October 2009, 20:56   #983
Senior - BHPian

The fear of breaking the law has to be instilled in each and every person on the streets. Be it a cyclist, or a truck driver. Without any regard for the law, nothing will ever improve.
Good job done, Spitfire. Although nothing worthwhile happened by speaking with the owner of the Zen, it gives you an idea that education or a good position doesn't make one a good driver/person with good civic sense.
Old 9th October 2009, 22:09   #984
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What is this a collateral damage scenario.
Yeah quite absurd i know. And not rational. Its a mindset thing for me.

I didn't any logic on it. And its totally against what i stand for.

But because of your post I gave it a thought. i have found out the email ids of couple of HR managers in Verizon and also the above employees details - name, dept and ID.

I have shot of 2 very strongly worded letters asking them to teach some traffic sense to their employees and a bit about social responsibility and a brief account about the incident with the employee details entered. Even mentioned the said employees managers name.

The mails are from my official work ID.

Lets wait and see the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
You really have put quite some effort there and sad to see it all wasted. It is this precise attitude that has made me stop advicing anyone. It is definitely not worth it.
I have given up like a million times, but somehow i can't stand it and end up doing what i did today. Worth it or not i am not sure. Hopefully it is

Quote:
Bangalore? I am in India. I am complaining about my home country. I am complaining about myself. Where are you from? Come out of the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Spitfire, want to reiterate that we need more people like you, am sure there are very few of your kind
LOL, thanks man. Folks like you make me think its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
In my Office we do have a compulsory Defensive Driving Training Course that one needs to complete, before one can bring his/her car to the Office.
Thats something really interesting can you give me details of this program. Or share more. I would really really like to know more.

Have pmed you my email id.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Good job done, Spitfire. Although nothing worthwhile happened
Yes Nitin, sad indeed. I atleast thought he would realise it. But instead chose to support his driver. Knowing fully well that he was lying. When a person starts talking that way i understand he himself does not have any dignity and i realise its a lost cause.

Now to wait for the replies of the mails. Or else I do realise i know some higher ups in Verizon.

If nothing comes up i accept the company is a rotten place. And i will make it known all over.
Old 9th October 2009, 22:20   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Nitin, sad indeed. I atleast thought he would realise it. But instead chose to support his driver. Knowing fully well that he was lying. When a person starts talking that way i understand he himself does not have any dignity and i realise its a lost cause.

Now to wait for the replies of the mails. Or else I do realise i know some higher ups in Verizon.

If nothing comes up i accept the company is a rotten place. And i will make it known all over.
Not meaning to dampen your efforts, but this saga will continue forever. You'd have to go from one company to the other every single day, coz thats how many useless individuals are seen on the streets, violating one law after the other.90% of them would be well qualified individuals, working in respectable companies with good positions within.

Talk about a CEO of a company (an acquaintance,so we'll leave it at that), tell his driver to give a damn about the cops coz they can't do a thing to him.Flash a few notes, and they'll be on their way to the next bar for a quarter! Thats the attitude, so it'll be a tough call on where to start correcting people.

Keep at it, coz i believe that something might click!
Old 9th October 2009, 22:51   #986
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Keep at it, coz i believe that something might click!
Yeah, i know they just might laugh it off and ridicule the letter itself. But heck it just might be worth it. You never know another of our sorts may think it will actually be good and probably like a fire drill and safety measures, this too may be taken up as a part of good practise.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:34   #987
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned previously, the key point is to instill the fear of breaking the law. The traffic police today in BLR is utterly powerless and thats what is the issue.

As mentioned earlier, the police guy in Madras broke lights, the same needs to be done here. Thats the only way people will learn. One thing is for sure. Rules cannot be taught politely. They need to be strictly imposed.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:40   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As mentioned previously, the key point is to instill the fear of breaking the law. The traffic police today in BLR is utterly powerless and thats what is the issue.

As mentioned earlier, the police guy in Madras broke lights, the same needs to be done here. Thats the only way people will learn. One thing is for sure. Rules cannot be taught politely. They need to be strictly imposed.
Valid point, but with so much of political power around, any cop who tries to do such things will either end up getting suspended or shunted elswhere.
If the entire Police force were to implement such things, then nothing should (technically) stop things from improving.
Here's where the 'If I were made CM/ PM for 1 week' (or something on the same lines) would be ideal!
Old 9th October 2009, 23:47   #989
Team-BHP Support

Also is there any logistics available on how many traffic guys we need in Bangalore and how many are actually available?

I suspect the city is highly understaffed on the traffic front.
Old 10th October 2009, 00:44   #990
BHPian

Quote:

What is it because of?

I see lots of BHP'ians here saying that it is 'someone' else's mistake , would you ever take time to put down mistakes you have made?. I am sure all of us think we are great drivers, but are we really ?

Not to be sounding like a patriotic Bangalorean , if there is something like that , but every state has it's own set of people making mistakes. I think the number of vehicles from out of state drivers/riders is the most in Bangalore.

Take some time out when each of you are going to work and check the number plates of vehicles from out of state. They all contribute to the MESS , so I dont feel 'Bangalore' is at fault at all like the thread is made out to be.

I dont think it is right to have everyone having a GO at the Bangalore traffic scene , every place is as bad or some are even worse.

Yes , Bangalore traffic is bad , but if you cant do anything about it , might as well shut it.
RP, in this thread no one is bashing bangalore but ranting the bangalore traffic.

You have mentioned something regarding the out of state vehicles .. so do you mean to say out of state vehicles should not be driven to reduce traffic ?? I would request you to get into any road of Delhi and lookout for number plates and I am sure you will change your opinion. As long as out of state vehicles pay the road tax they have all the frredom on earth to drive on bangalore roads of course within the limits of the traffic rules.

My point is lets not curse the IT boom for anything and everything. Due to IT so much revenue is also generated, but do we see better roads ?? I was taking one of my american friend towards ITPL from Vaidehi hospital .. Just infront of the big bazaar there was a huge pothole and i felt ashamed taking him through that (Tried telling him the road is under repair ) ... It makes me think where the tax goes which I pay ???

Now your last question what do we do to clear this mess ?? I believe all of us here follow lane discipline and try not to break any rules ( the day every one will follow the same, this thread will be marked closed in this forum) and also pay the road tax and income tax regularly. So we have the right to mention the negative side ...No hard feelings please !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks