Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 11:33   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I lost around half an hour on my morning commute due to this today. Hoping this doesn't continue everyday.
Ever since the pipeline work started, I have been using this route:

Varthur Rd to Old Airport Rd - Google Maps

This is about 3km longer, and the road is a bit narrow, bumpy and pothole ridden in parts, but you can do the off-Airport Road stretch in about 15 minutes (compared to 45 minutes to 1 hour via the main road).

Now, if they open the Challaghata-EGL-IRR road for traffic, I will save a further 30 minutes that I lose due to the two signals at Wind Tunnel Road junction and Manipal Hospital.

Last edited by binand : 21st June 2012 at 11:34.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:43   #3497
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

The spot in front of the IOC pump at Bellandur is a mess during mornings. Cars entering the ring road from service road takes the U-turn immediately causing traffic snarl (towards Marthahalli side). The cut in service road and the next U-turn should be spaced at least 300-500m, to allow the traffic to merge smoothly and then take the U-turn. Also, the speed breaker should be removed and the bus stop should be shifted a little before the current location.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:13   #3498
Senior - BHPian

i'm wondering when will BTP grow some spine!! people blatantly break the traffic rules and just get away with it!!

Etios taxi taking a illegal turn in front of EGL and driving in the wrong direction all the way beyond Dell office!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_6819.jpg

company cab (Kangaroo brand) driving on the wrong side to get ahead! called their travel desk and complained!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_6826.jpg

here's a Indicab going the wrong way on 14th main Indiranagar, which is a one-way!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_6830.jpg

aah! here we see a cop managing traffic, allowing them to drive on the wrong side!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_6829.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 11:23   #3499
BHPian

Could someone please enlighten me? Are the service roads on either side of OMR, just after one crosses KR Puram one-way or two-way? I ask this question because though I find vehicles going in either direction on the service roads, somehow most vehicles insist on keeping right as if it is a one-way.

Thanks,
Rajan
Old 25th June 2012, 13:19   #3500
Team-BHP Support

The signal at Forum Mall / Big Bazaar joining Hosur road is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Traffic from forum mall turns right to go towards St. Johns / Madiwala. Simulataneously, traffic coming from Raheja arcade signal is allowed to merge into this Forum mall traffic. Some vehicles coming from Raheja want to keep straight towards Total mall. Some vehicles from Forum side want to turn left towards St. Johns at the same time (there is some divider there separating the two sides), resulting in total mayhem in the mornings and evenings. I was turning left towards St. Johns, and almost got rear ended today by a civic guy who was driving like a maniac coming from Raheja arcade signal and heading to Total mall.

doesn't BTP have the common sense to avoid giving green signal to intersecting directions of traffic simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
aah! here we see a cop managing traffic, allowing them to drive on the wrong side!
Attachment 945782
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during peak office-returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th June 2012 at 13:30.
Old 25th June 2012, 13:37   #3501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during peak office-returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.
For a brief period of time they placed dividers in between so no vehicles could use the 'wrong' side lane to take the right to go towards Hoody, at this signal. End result? Traffic jams which stretched all the way till TCS office and Vydehi hospital in the evening during rush hour.

After widespread public mayhem, they removed the divider barricades and vehicles are allowed to use the right lane under police supervision.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 13:39   #3502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during office peak returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.
this is not the right thing to do! maybe they think they're easing the traffic congestion but all they're are doing is shifting the problem from one signal to the other!

when a signal goes green, there are x number of vehicles that may pass though the signal before it goes red. however, if more vehicles are let through (twice or thrice the number), it creates chaos and that's exactly what's happening in Bangalore!!

sparing few cops, the rest have no clue about traffic management! on the NGEF bypass signal, the cops allow free-left-turn for the traffic from BEML road when the traffic from OMR is moving! this just adds to the chaos!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 13:53   #3503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is not the right thing to do! maybe they think they're easing the traffic congestion but all they're are doing is shifting the problem from one signal to the other!

when a signal goes green, there are x number of vehicles that may pass though the signal before it goes red. however, if more vehicles are let through (twice or thrice the number), it creates chaos and that's exactly what's happening in Bangalore!!

sparing few cops, the rest have no clue about traffic management! on the NGEF bypass signal, the cops allow free-left-turn for the traffic from BEML road when the traffic from OMR is moving! this just adds to the chaos!
I agree, its not the right thing to do. In this spot though, half of the traffic turns left, and another half turns right. The roads here are very broad on either side, so it doesn't actually cause any jam at adjacent junctions in this particular place. Problem here is, like benbsb29 said, employees and cabs of all companies here use this single road to disperse out of whitefield area (no other route), so the SAP labs road although quite broad, will not be able to withstand this density of traffic at rush hour. Perhaps they should have planned multiple exit routes from this area right from the beginning. Wishful thinking
Old 25th June 2012, 14:12   #3504
BHPian

And irresponsible cabbies get on the wrong side and then decide to turn left at the signal, causing problems.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 14:16   #3505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ever since the pipeline work started, I have been using this route:

Varthur Rd to Old Airport Rd - Google Maps

This is about 3km longer, and the road is a bit narrow, bumpy and pothole ridden in parts, but you can do the off-Airport Road stretch in about 15 minutes (compared to 45 minutes to 1 hour via the main road).

Now, if they open the Challaghata-EGL-IRR road for traffic, I will save a further 30 minutes that I lose due to the two signals at Wind Tunnel Road junction and Manipal Hospital.
I tried this route yesterday and today, and have to admit there is hardly any congestion here. It is mostly a free ride all the way from IRR / Manipal hospital to Marathahalli and vice versa. Thanks to you, I now take 1 hour from Jayanagar to ITPL, compared to 2 hours I used to take till yesterday.

I went by car one day and bike on another day. Looks like the route is more suitable for bikes than cars. At stretches it is quite narrow and overtaking tractors/other village vehicles here was quite a task in the car. At one point there is some kind of small concrete wall passage where only 1 car can pass. Even 2 way traffic with cars is a bit troublesome in stretches. With the bike, it is a superb route where we can slip away in and out of potholed stretches.

P.S - Although the detour route is only 3km more than the usual HAL road, I got the feeling that I am doing some countryside drive for very long, like ~10km. It was only when I saw the odometer at Manipal that I realized the extra distance was just ~3km more. .
Old 27th June 2012, 09:01   #3506
BHPian

I noticed this while driving through Jaynagar 4th Main Road, which is that straight road all the way to lalbagh. It has construction going on for the Metro so there are patches of narrow bad roads, where only one car can fit through (space for 1 and a half cars)

So while driving over these patches of road, normal driving behavior is to slow down to say 10-20 kmph and negotiate the bumps, which most of the time results in zig zagging. Now what happens is these bikes and sometimes autos think I am giving space for them to overtake when I am going to one extreme end to avoid a bump. End result they try to squeeze in and I am forced to 'shut the door' on them.

The point is that its very dangerous and I need to keep looking into all the mirrors installed on my car apart from negotiating those bumps as well.

Why is everyone fascinated with squeezing everyone else! It's almost like they aren't even aware they are doing it.

Last edited by superutp : 27th June 2012 at 09:03.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:28   #3507
BHPian

Hi, not sure if it is the right thread but feel you guys might have an answer. Is there any public transport available on NICE road that will take me to NH4 (Mumbai side) directly from Electronic city or the other way round? The reason I ask is, if I come from Mumbai in Volvo, can I skip the city and directly come to Electronic City?
Old 27th June 2012, 09:42   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi, not sure if it is the right thread but feel you guys might have an answer. Is there any public transport available on NICE road that will take me to NH4 (Mumbai side) directly from Electronic city or the other way round? The reason I ask is, if I come from Mumbai in Volvo, can I skip the city and directly come to Electronic City?
No bus service along the NICE corridor at-least for now from what I know. Your best bet is to take the VOLVO from the city bus stand.Else you can always avail the VOLVO service along the ORR and get off at Silk board junction. From Silk board take a VOLVO again to E-city.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 09:58   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
The point is that its very dangerous and I need to keep looking into all the mirrors installed on my car apart from negotiating those bumps as well.

Why is everyone fascinated with squeezing everyone else! It's almost like they aren't even aware they are doing it.
Coming to Bangalore has been the best decision for improving my reflexes, as well as sharpening my observation power! Also, my anticipatory powers have increased multifold, as I expect that at every small street cutting into the main road, the world's next big World Drifting Competition champion to grace the side of my car (and, fortunately, even my bike) with an autograph, if not the front or the back!
Old 27th June 2012, 10:38   #3510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Now what happens is these bikes and sometimes autos think I am giving space for them to overtake when I am going to one extreme end to avoid a bump. End result they try to squeeze in and I am forced to 'shut the door' on them.

yeah, superb point. This whole problem comes due to lack of patience I guess. Everyone wants to be ahead of everyone else, as though its a race. Even a metre gained over another vehicle is assumed to be a victory.

If there is a gap created, they squeeze in and go ahead. Bikers, indicabs, merus and TTs are the main culprits usually. The worst part is they have no judgement about their vehicle's size v/s the gap, and end up damaging our rides.

The road you are referring to, is Nanda theatre road I think, with parks on both sides. We see this squeezing problem everywhere- at a signal, stop next to the divider with 2 feet of gap between your car and divider. Hundred 2 wheelers will go past you with a sense of victory, with at least 30 of those hitting their handlebars to your car mirror .

Worse still, at a signal, when we keep 3-4 feet of gap with the car in front, these morons will squeeze between the 2 cars, often scraping their footpegs or crash guards against our bumpers. I usually maintain gap with the next car especially on an upward incline, just in case the driver ahead is a newbie who doesn't do the brake release/ de-clutch + accelerate quickly and slides down backwards. Before he/she does this, a few bikers will have squeezed through *lol*. Impatience is everywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks