Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 10:17   #8911
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Traffic alert!!

Haralur road is at a stand still. Can't seem to figure out why as yet. Probably the manhole which opened up ( reported earlier ) or campaigning, what ever it is it's going to be a long wait.
At harlur vilage where the road is narrowest, one of the drain covers has broken resulting in a big hole. The road is effectively one way now and leading to a massive massive jam as there's no other alternate route exit point.

It's a huge mess. I just posted in BTP page.

Yesterday evening I saw the jam from harlur to springfields and it had not moved at all.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:49   #8912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Traffic alert!!

Haralur road is at a stand still. Can't seem to figure out why as yet. Probably the manhole which opened up ( reported earlier ) or campaigning, what ever it is it's going to be a long wait.
I use this road everyday towards Sarjapur road, but luckily I sensed something wrong, as there was a pileup very early. Checked google traffic and realized it is standstill. Took the hosa road and in fact reached a bit early to office.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:34   #8913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Even I work at PTP. That makes us half a dozen strong !
I too work at PTP. I usually take the road behind PTP to connect to Yemlur and onto Old Airport Road as I stay at Kaggadasapura.
Old 19th August 2015, 18:33   #8914
BHPian

Observed a new thing yesterday.

After having a traffic (cop) signal on top flyover, after having bus stops at intersections and beginning and end of flyovers, Bangalore has taken new bold step.. yes, a bus stop ON the flyover!

(Place: ORR flyover at Tin Factory towards Hebbal, found BMTC stopping to pick passengers!).
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:38   #8915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post

.. yes, a bus stop ON the flyover!
This is not new . BMTC buses going towards Majestic from Kengeri stop on the Sirsi circle flyover for the convenience of passengers heading to K.R.Market. This practice is followed from past many years.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 19:05   #8916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
I too work at PTP. I usually take the road behind PTP to connect to Yemlur and onto Old Airport Road as I stay at Kaggadasapura.
Then you must be very familiar with Off-Roading in Mud Slush whenever it rains . There is no road. All there exists is a path created by MAN/SCANIA trucks that seem to use this road 24x7.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:15   #8917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post

After having a traffic (cop) signal on top flyover, after having bus stops at intersections and beginning and end of flyovers, Bangalore has taken new bold step.. yes, a bus stop ON the flyover!

(Place: ORR flyover at Tin Factory towards Hebbal, found BMTC stopping to pick passengers!).
On the opposite side of the flyover you're talking about, the KR Puram railway overbridge has been used as a bus stop for quite some time now. Stopping of buses on that narrow bridge is the root of Tin Factory mess, but does the traffic police care? Do the city planners care? Does this city even have planners?

Tin Factory is not a bus stop now, its a full fledged bus station rivaling Majestic !!!
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 20:22   #8918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Tin Factory is not a bus stop now, its a full fledged bus station rivaling Majestic !!!
Is there any specific reason why the cable stayed bridge is so long? Could it have been made shorter so it would not start right at Tin factory? May be then we would have a common bus stop for all buses (towards ITPL and towards KR Puram). After a certain distance the flyover could start and be much shorter.

On Whitefield main road, the stretch between ESI/ABB junction and Hoodi junction is a one way. But the condition of the road on either sides is horrible. One lane on each side is completely destroyed. Yesterday night I was returning on this stretch on the right lanes and there was heavy traffic moving on the wrong side with only a single lane available for vehicle movement. i get so angry seeing these vehicles moving on the wrong side. It just seems so normal for them to do this.

Last edited by rohanak1 : 19th August 2015 at 20:27. Reason: more information added
Old 19th August 2015, 21:39   #8919
JD1
BHPian

Who would board and alight from bus on top of flyover? Where would they go?
Old 19th August 2015, 23:07   #8920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
This is not new . BMTC buses going towards Majestic from Kengeri stop on the Sirsi circle flyover for the convenience of passengers heading to K.R.Market. This practice is followed from past many years.
Even on the elevated highway leading to E city, I have seen Tempo Travellers stop at the point where the elevated highway starts to pick passengers who find it convenient to wait there.
I suppose people have to be reminded about the fact that one should not stop on a flyover.
Old 20th August 2015, 08:18   #8921
Senior - BHPian

The bus stop near HQ command, Air force, Mehkri circle on Airport road towards Hebbal has been shifted to the newly built bus bay a few meters ahead of the existing bus stop. This should come as a huge relief to daily commuters on this road. The earlier bus stop being on a narrow stretch created a huge bottleneck on this very busy road during peak hours.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 10:06   #8922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
I usually take the road behind PTP to connect to Yemlur and onto Old Airport Road as I stay at Kaggadasapura.
If it is not too late - this road is best avoided today. A water tanker has toppled in front of Yemalur SBI blocking three-quarters of the road. The resulting pileup is horrendous.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:14   #8923
Senior - BHPian

Spent 30 mins in front of the CGI office where a tanker/trailer has overturned. Yemlur road is clogged.

OT, I still think that tankers are a lesser evil than the rampant BWSSB digging.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 11:23   #8924
Senior - BHPian

The ITPL road from Hope Farm to ITPL seems to be blocked. My team mate was not allowed to take the ITPL road from Hopefarm junction as it was blocked. She tried coming via borewell road but since that was also blocked, decided to take a day off.

Any idea what is the reason?
Old 20th August 2015, 12:03   #8925
BHPian

An observation I'd like to share:

With all the one-ways, signals that BTP have thrown on and around ORR, there is no single traffic jam at the EMC-junction or in front of RMZ Ecospace. There are multiple mini traffic-jams all along

I commute from Malleswaram to Kadubeesanahalli and have been doing so for a couple of years now. Save for the odd day where a bus breaks down on the ORR stretch etc, the traffic pileups used to start at around 5PM.

However, ever since the new one-ways etc were introduced, one cannot beat the traffic unless you leave work at 4PM.

Endgame: No matter what stop-gap arrangements are made by BTP, we're at a juncture where limiting the number of vehicles on the road (congestion charging, Paris' registration-number based banning of cars on certain days) appears to be the only solution.

Namma Metro, Monorails and what-have-you will take the best part of another decade to be fully implemented. Congestion charging can certainly be implemented in a matter of months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks