Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 16:27   #11176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Okay. Even I felt the number of vehicles on the road to be lesser, but I thought that the schools have closed and Ugadi is around the corner.
Another side effect or benefit is cool breeze blowing due to less pollution. Overall temperature throughout the day was lesser than yesterday.
Looking forward to commute back home in pleasant weather and traffic today
Old 5th April 2016, 16:40   #11177
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Strike has been called off. Petrol supplies to bunks in Bangalore will resume in a couple of hours.

Quote:
Relief is in sight for vehicle users in Bengaluru with the strike by the association of petrol tanker cleaners and drivers being called off.

Speaking to The Hindu soon after the conclusion of the crucial round of talks with the association, in which officials of the oil companies as well as the State's Home Department are said to have participated, a representative of the Bangalore Petroleum Dealers' Association said supply to petrol bunks would resume in less than two hours.

By Tuesday morning, several petrol bunks had put up barricades as they had run out of stock. Those which were open were supplying only high-end varieties of fuel, which most people do not usually opt for as they are more expensive. Many vehicle users were even armed with empty bottles to reserve fuel in case there was no breakthrough in the talks.
Source: Hindu

Makes me wonder as to how fragile the life we lead is. A small strike is sufficient to start crippling the City and creating panic. Wonder what would have happened if this extended 2-3 days.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th April 2016 at 16:45.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 17:09   #11178
Senior - BHPian

It was scary, when I saw the news in the morning, first thing I did was to drove to the nearest pump and filled up the tank. Better risk management in future may be to refuel when half of the tank is utilized

Last edited by airbus : 5th April 2016 at 17:17. Reason: Removed duplicates as same news link was posted earlier
Old 5th April 2016, 18:43   #11179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Strike has been called off. Petrol supplies to bunks in Bangalore will resume in a couple of hours.

Source: Hindu
Slightly sloppy reporting there. The headline calls it "Dealers' strike", but the article itself says "strike by the association of petrol tanker cleaners and drivers" which is what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Makes me wonder as to how fragile the life we lead is. A small strike is sufficient to start crippling the City and creating panic.
Precisely the reason these sort of services are called "essential services" and we have a law called Essential Services Maintenance Act which constrains such service providers from striking work.
Old 5th April 2016, 19:42   #11180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not sure of the basic amenities, but I remember seeing small food stalls just outside the complex gate and nothing else apart from that. It is almost like in the middle of no where.
The main reason for the strike is for the bad approach roads from Hoskote .It is around 5 kms from the Hoskote-Malur road to the depot and all the times I have done that stretch, it was in bad state with huge craters for potholes and the road most of the way is wide enough for one truck to pass. Everytime there are two trucks crossing, one has to give way by stopping. If I remember right, this is the second such strike for the same reason.
You are very right Tharian. DKN even though located so close to Bangalore suffers from hellish roads for the last 5/6 km. There are stretches where I personally have seen multiple accidents between heavily laden tankers / dumpers because their rear wheels have touched while crossing each other; this results in catastrophic damage to both rear axles and the road being closed for hours at a time.

There are also local villagers which oppose such heavy traffic and are ready to create trouble at any opportunity.

There are also pitifully few amenities for these tanker drivers/cleaners as they have to wait hours before their turn comes up to fill up. All in all, a strategically crucial installation totally neglected for many years. In a way I am happy for this being exposed, but distressed that a strike by a few hundred tanker operators can expose the very shaky infrastructure in KA. There is a scope to upgrade the Soukya Road but needs a flyover/underpass at the level crossing which is very busy due to the Bangalore-Chennai main line

First time I visited the area and realized the true strategic importance of the pipeline stations (Petronet etc.) plus all the OMC tankages, I was amazed at how the state government has neglected the area. Most other governments would have built much better infrastructure. This is what comes after GoK runs only after (much easier) IT money rather than build basic infrastructure!

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th April 2016 at 19:54. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 22:05   #11181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
Makes me wonder as to how fragile the life we lead is. A small strike is sufficient to start crippling the City and creating panic. Wonder what would have happened if this extended 2-3 days.
I am not totally negating your point. But perhaps these small incidents would also make us realise what a "true emergency" is and what is a false one. By nature I am a kind of person who maintain a Plan Alpha, Plan Bravo and at times even a Plan Charlie. What I also realise is that drawing up all these plans also force me to be permanently on a "high alert" mode. So now I am trying to think a bit differently. Fine, the strike continues for 2-3 days. What happens? BMTC would still operate, they have their own fuel pumps in place. The police also would have their own schemes to get fuel (or else their top brass would get s-crewed big time). The railways any way have no connection with this at all. Trains would continue to operate.

All that is going to happen is that schools etc. would try to use that as an excuse to get some extra money, or would be forced to cancel classes for a few days. 2-3 days break from a school (be it any fancy "international" school or other wise) is not going to make a difference. A few managers in IT companies may try to bulley a few employees and ask them to report to work, even if that involves walking 10kms. It may work with a few people, but would not work out with all. They too would have to either shut down operations, or operate in a "disaster situation" mode. A lot of "self important people" in private companies may find the going a bit tough during this time, as they may not get every thing at their beck and call for the next 2-3 days.

So all it would happen is; the city would behave normally for 2-3 days with every one "adjusting" with each other. People who can avoid using their vehicles would just avoid it. People who can take leave or work from home would take appropriate measures. Companies if they truly have got various certifications and DR plans approved would put it to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus
Better risk management in future may be to refuel when half of the tank is utilized
If you are a regular vehicle user, I feel refuelling when the fuel tank is 1/2 or at least 3/4 empty is a good move. It is never going to be a waste any ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
This is what comes after GoK runs only after (much easier) IT money rather than build basic infrastructure!
To slightly rephrase it, GoK is only after money (whether it is from IT or from other sources). My intention is not to hurt any one's feelings. But the attitude is more like that of a "land lord", who only has his land up for sale/rent. The "land lord" does not plan to do any "value addition", but hopes that the the "tenants" would continue to pay any exorbitant rate which they demand. Yes, this would succeed for some time. But the "tenants" also can pull the plug by taking some simple decisions like cancelling the "tenancy" agreement and moving else where. The current situation is pro-"land lord", but perhaps in another 5-6 years, it would change. Good governments of states and cities do not think like a "land lord", but as more of "co-owners". Other wise it would be a case of a few greedy land lords and a group of tenants who have no loyalty and would jump ship at the opportune moment. A "land lord" getting back his land pretty much raped by every single person for the last 15-20 years is not going to gain much (in the long run).

Last edited by sachinpk : 5th April 2016 at 22:14.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:04   #11182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So all it would happen is; the city would behave normally for 2-3 days with every one "adjusting" with each other. People who can avoid using their vehicles would just avoid it. People who can take leave or work from home would take appropriate measures. Companies if they truly have got various certifications and DR plans approved would put it to use.
That is, in my view, a neophyte's assessment. In case of a prolonged fuel shortage, the first to feel the pinch would be those who rely on vehicles to earn their income - drivers (of auto/taxi, pickup trucks, buses, construction equipment etc.), others (cleaners, loaders, puncture shops/garages etc.), delivery staff (courier, e-commerce, food), field technicians of telecom/cable/ISP etc., service staff of consumer and business durables... I can go on. Anyone who earns on the basis of number of trips or visits or kilometres, essentially.

For the middle-class, the first signs of trouble would be shortage and consequent price rise of perishables - milk, veggies, poultry etc.

The industries in Bangalore (there are a few; apart from HAL/BEL etc there are several SMEs in Peenya, Mahadevpura and elsewhere within and just outside of Bangalore city limits) will find tough to move finished goods or acquire raw material. Some might even have to halt production, resulting in wage loss for employees.

Vehicles abandoned on the roads after fuel ran out would choke our roads that are already beyond redemption. Moving around will become even more painful.

Sooner or later, the shortage will hit public transport (BMTC). White collar workers would start finding it difficult to reach their workplace. Productivity at IT/ITES, BFSI etc. firms will be hit.

Eventually, emergency services will be hit. Police, fire, ambulance etc. will be grounded due to lack of fuel.

As per some references, a third of Karnataka's GSDP comes from Bangalore. So something like the above will be quite disastrous for the whole state. But we needn't worry; after all the above the VIP vehicles will also run out of fuel and then we will see some concerted action to restore supply.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 10:08   #11183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is, in my view, a neophyte's assessment. In case of a prolonged fuel shortage, the first to feel the pinch would be those who rely on vehicles to earn their income -
Point taken. But I did not consider a strike of 2-3 days to be under the "prolonged" category.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:29   #11184
Senior - BHPian

Folks. Posting it here as this thread gets the maximum attention. Can any one help me by getting a picture (positions marked on the map) of the famous "junctions" at Whitefield area? Especially the ones gets the maximum traffic jams.

So far I have been able to figure out what is Hope Farm Jn. But where is Hoodi Jn, Graphite India Jn, Big Bazar Jn etc.? Kundalahalli Jn., I presume it to be the one on Varthur Rd.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:43   #11185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So far I have been able to figure out what is Hope Farm Jn. But where is Hoodi Jn, Graphite India Jn, Big Bazar Jn etc.? Kundalahalli Jn., I presume it to be the one on Varthur Rd.
Since I travel through these junctions everyday, I can give you this info, but what kind of information do you need? Just the marking on the map or the description too?
EDIT: Here are a couple of hot-spots(I would call it so)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.jpg

1. Not sure what it is called but this is the Entrance to EPIP zone opposite Graphite India. People coming down from north have to either take a left or a U turn. The U turn opposes traffic coming from south. Its like going head on. People coming from East have to take a compulsory left southwards which is a bottleneck since the road is pretty narrow and there was a bus stop right after the turn.

2. People who have taken the left turn at 1 take a U turn here. Hence another hotspot for a long holdup of traffic.

3. Vydehi Hospital Junction - At this point, majority of the traffic flow is southwards who take a right turn towards Doddanekkundi Indl. Area. This is another bottleneck and a frequent gridlock since buses stop after the turn and by the time the bus gets moving people from all sides would have rammed into whatever gaps were present in the traffic.

4. Prestige shantiniketan signal - Obvious reason for holdup. Traffic builds up like anything in all three directions.

5. There is a U turn here and some people travelling westwards will take a right turn here which builds up a decent amount of queue on both sides. Actually there is no traffic jam in Hoodi junction because the traffic will be held up here, and people rush like crazy once they pass the U turn area
Only risk factor is a bus stop at hoodi junction which temporarily blocks traffic

6. Graphite india junction: Usually slows down traffic wanting to take a U turn upwards. Reason is obvious, no disciplined turning. Cabs from the left most lane coming from Hoodi cut across the turn and block the traffic coming from south thus creating some temporary ego-gridlocks and by the time this gets sorted a bus driver decides its time for people to get in or out and stops the bus at a 45 degree angle to the road.

7. This is a junction near Airbus where some traffic enters the main road from the side roads and that causes some build up of traffic on the main road. Sometimes this would reach graphite india junction also

8. The turning handles too much traffic which causes slowdown. However, they have ensured a free flow by implementing a circular traffic system in these roads. Has worked well except for some illiterate morons who cant read road signs.

9. Opposite brookfields where traffic coming from junction 8 will enter the main road and vice versa which builds up traffic on the main road to a considerable extent.

Last edited by audioholic : 6th April 2016 at 12:05.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:57   #11186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since I travel through these junctions everyday, I can give you this info, but what kind of information do you need? Just the marking on the map or the description too?
Marking and descriptions (on when traffic pile ups happen - from your experience) . But if it is major hassle, then marking on the map is more than enough.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:53   #11187
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday evening there was a huge traffic pile up, extremely slow moving from Whitefield Honda/ORR junction all the way till Tin factory junction - turned out to be the long queue of vehicles outside the HP Petrol pump next to Tin Factory was causing this slowness!
Old 7th April 2016, 07:02   #11188
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Slightly OT: The petrol price in BP bunk in Bommanahalli is Rs 66.27. Does anyone have the idea as to what is the comparative price in Hosur and which bunk is the best to fill fuel out there?
Old 7th April 2016, 08:07   #11189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The petrol price in BP bunk in Bommanahalli is Rs 66.27. Does anyone have the idea as to what is the comparative price in Hosur and which bunk is the best to fill fuel out there?
Depending on location in TN, the difference usually is in the range of Rs. 3 - Rs. 3.50 (TN price is lower than KA price).

In my experience, most of the pumps in Hosur on NH7 primarily cater to truckers who want to fill up before entering KA, or who have been postponing their fills till after they exited KA. I generally wait till I reach Shoolagiri HPCL outlet which is about 50 km from the interstate border.
Old 7th April 2016, 08:14   #11190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Depending on location in TN, the difference usually is in the range of Rs. 3 - Rs. 3.50 (TN price is lower than KA price).

In my experience, most of the pumps in Hosur on NH7 primarily cater to truckers who want to fill up before entering KA, or who have been postponing their fills till after they exited KA. I generally wait till I reach Shoolagiri HPCL outlet which is about 50 km from the interstate border.
The difference is between Rs 3 - Rs 3.50 between KA and TN. After April 1st, due to increase in salex tax in KA alone, I guess the price difference between KA and TN will be close to Rs 6.
Near TVS nagar on the Hosur-Thally Raod, we have a TVS BPCL bunk. Does anyone have reviews about this particular bunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks