Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 06:36   #12391
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Traffic Alert

Road laying work in progress at Silkboard Signal (BTM towards sarjapur). Already caused me 10 mins delay.

The left turn towards madivala is also closed for now.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 07:24   #12392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Traffic Alert

Road laying work in progress at Silkboard Signal (BTM towards sarjapur). Already caused me 10 mins delay.

The left turn towards madivala is also closed for now.

Regards
And for a big surprise, the bad patches atop Silkboard flyover have been patched up pretty well, especially those huge ones as you get down from the flyover towards EC. This has eased the flow of vehicles considerably too.

Of course, at this stage, till a completely fresh layer sits on the existing one, those block joints will remain a bad experience to pass if you are a newbie to the city.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 10:37   #12393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Road laying work in progress at Silkboard Signal (BTM towards sarjapur). ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And for a big surprise, the bad patches atop Silkboard flyover have been patched up pretty well, especially those huge ones as you get down from the flyover towards EC. This has eased the flow of vehicles considerably too.

Of course, at this stage, till a completely fresh layer sits on the existing one, those block joints will remain a bad experience to pass if you are a newbie to the city.
I take the Silk Board flyover every day, and I was pleasantly surprised this morning at the patchwork repair.

However, I must admit to being mildly disappointed at this repair. The potholes gave me a massive speed advantage (since I drive a S-Cross), which is now lost
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 17:04   #12394
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for being slightly with this post, but you do not get such chances often.

Finally!
So happy to see this news. Let us make them famous.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg

Quote:
OFFICERS’ MESS

CM suspends 13 BBMP officials who 'let encroach-ments happen'; another seven who have already retired face action too

After razing the illegal structures built upon storm water drains in the city, the axe will now strike on officials who allowed these encroachments to take place. And to start with, the state government has identified 20 officials who allegedly colluded with realtors to illegally take up drain space.

The report prepared by additional chief secretary (urban development department) Mahendra Jain was tabled before chief minister Siddaramaiah on Monday.

Sources from within the chief minister's office confirmed that a recommendation had been made for immediate suspension of these officials and for the filing criminal cases against each of them.

Of the 20 officials named, five belong to the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) and the remaining are from the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP). Seven have retired.

"Diversion of the storm water drain was the main reason for south Bengaluru getting flooded. Avani Shringeri Layout, Duo Enclave, Shubh Enclave, Central Excise Layout, Silk Board junction and KAS Colony were among the worst hit," said an officer, who was part of the investigative team.

A source in the CM's office said: "We have received the report from the urban development department. The immediate suspension of these officials, launching criminal prosecution and disciplinary inquiry against them is being recommended."

BDA officials have been held responsible for issuing development plan for builders to take up the project, which also got the nod from their legal department,
explained an official in the know. "The BBMP officials were held responsible for granting permission to take up construction (building sanction plan) and then issuing commencement certificate, and at a later stage, the occupancy certificate, after inspecting the spot and still failing to see the violations," said the official.

An excerpt from the report reads, "Nala was diverted sharp at 90 degree angle at two places to accommodate a few buildings. These buildings were found at the edge of the Nala." The properties belonging to EAPL Sri Tirumala Splendor, Ansal Forte, and an individual named Vivan, among others, have been held responsible. All these properties are located near Silk Board junction and close to the Madiwala Lake.

In THE Line of fire

1 SC Karigowda - town planning member (retired), BDA
2 GJ Nayak - town planning member (retired), BDA
3 D Satyanarayana - Engineer member (retired), BDA
4 MN Shankar Bhat - lawofficer, BDA (retired)
5 Guruprasad - BBMP assistant engineer
6 Shashidhar - BBMP assistant executive engineer
7 BT Mohan Krishna - then deputy director, town planning (south)
8 Govindraju - then joint director (south), now chief engineer (west)
9 Chowde Gowda - additional director, town planning (retired)
10 K Veerandranath - retired additional director, BBMP town planning
11 Mohammad Abdulla Azeem - asst exec engineer
12 G Gurumurthy - assistant exec engineer, town planning
13 Vijaykumar D Patil - assistant director, town planning
14 DS Sarvotham Raju - assistant executive engineer
15 S Mrithyunjaya - assistant engineer
16 T Nataraj - joint director, town planning (north)
17 Sunita - assistant engineer
18 Gangappa- assistant executive engineer
19 Liakath - assistant executive engineer, town planning
20 Munikrishna, BBMP chief engineer (retired)
Source: Bangalore Mirror
balenoed_ is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 10:39   #12395
BHPian

They have shut down the U-turn at RxDx hospital again on ITPL Road. Been two days. Have to take 1.5kms detour from Ginger Hotel circle to reach my office at RMZ Centennial. 😐
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 10:49   #12396
BHPian

At the Ramamurthy Nagar signal, they've blocked the road coming from Banaswadi to Ramamurthy Nagar and directing traffic to take left onto the service road towards Tamarind. Not sure why.
Old 11th August 2016, 10:56   #12397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
They have shut down the U-turn at RxDx hospital again on ITPL Road. Been two days. Have to take 1.5kms detour from Ginger Hotel circle to reach my office at RMZ Centennial. 😐
This was open yesterday morning but today morning was closed. Given your handle and your work location, I think we work for the same company. Pm me

I take old airport road to work and have been experiencing bad traffic between HAL police station and Yamlur signal. This was not the case for the last few months but this week has been bad in this stretch. Not sure what has changed.
Old 11th August 2016, 14:19   #12398

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
This sudden opening and closing of u-turns at key junctions needs to stop automatically. I used to come to Shell and after I faced the issue twice, I just came from ORR side instead of Kundalahalli. Ofcourse you won't be able to do this if you stay the other side of RMC Centennial.

People have no patience on the roads, neither do they have lane discipline. There's a U-turn near Abaran Jewellers on WOC road and the right turn(into Mahalakshmi Layout) and U-turn (back towards Yeshwanthpura) jams up almost every time. People moving from Big Bazaar/Orion who need to take a Right or U-turn take up 2 or sometimes 3 lanes thereby blocking straight lane traffic as well. To make matters worse, there are some (xyz) who will be on right most lane and go straight blocking the ones on the middle lane from going right.

Another newly creeping up problem is the manual control of junctions/traffic lights by police everywhere. I just fail to understand why can't they let the timers on and leave the police people to catch/book/record offenders instead of doing the boring traffic light control

Old 11th August 2016, 16:04   #12399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pai.pradeep View Post
Another newly creeping up problem is the manual control of junctions/traffic lights by police everywhere. I just fail to understand why can't they let the timers on and leave the police people to catch/book/record offenders instead of doing the boring traffic light control
They do this, not because they love to do this . The timer control on these signals have not been fine tuned to work along with the vagaries of Bangalore traffic flow. This is a place where the traffic pattern changes pretty much once an hour. So during certain times, the vehicles just gets queued up on all directions and the control room or the local Traffic Inspector decides to switch of the signal lights and put men to do the signalling manually.

PS: I strongly believe that traffic lights also only work with a very self-disciplined society. Which I am sure we Indians are not.
Old 11th August 2016, 16:31   #12400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sorry for being slightly with this post, but you do not get such chances often.

Finally!
So happy to see this news. Let us make them famous.

Attachment 1540395

Source: Bangalore Mirror
This order has not reached the BBMP commissioner yet and no FIR are lodged yet. I still think a team should accompany the BBMP team doing the demolitions to ascertain the drain locations. You can still have them defining the drains the way they want.
Also, I will believe in this operation when tech parks, big commercial complexes and apartment complexes are demolished.

Last edited by srishiva : 11th August 2016 at 16:33.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 16:52   #12401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
They do this, not because they love to do this . The timer control on these signals have not been fine tuned to work along with the vagaries of Bangalore traffic flow. This is a place where the traffic pattern changes pretty much once an hour. So during certain times, the vehicles just gets queued up on all directions and the control room or the local Traffic Inspector decides to switch of the signal lights and put men to do the signalling manually.
Agreed, but that situation is not an "always" situation and, by personal experience, the traffic sorts out after sometime. But with manual control, if they allow one side for a long time, it automatically piles up vehicles on the other sides. I believe they're monitoring traffic lights by CCTV cameras and therefore they can temporarily adjust timers during peak (for. e.g office) hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
PS: I strongly believe that traffic lights also only work with a very self-disciplined society. Which I am sure we Indians are not.
Again, 100% with you on this, but this is a different matter altogether. Having said that, we can't say "what difference can I alone make?" and do nothing (and by do, I mean, follow lane discipline and traffic rules). Moreover, ironically, the traffic lights which are left open are least congested..!lol
Old 12th August 2016, 00:52   #12402
Distinguished - BHPian

In the midst of all these assorted madness, media trials, blame-shifting, framing, and constant hounding of what Bangalore has become.. I can't help but take a deep breath in lugubriosity.

To me this city means my childhood, whether its climbing the hillocks of Cubbon Park, enjoying the cool evening breeze of the city or the glorious sunshine of the summers when we didn't have to worry about carbon-monoxide emissions or global warming. This life meant everything to me, sure we were always called a sleepy city, or a Garden City.. we were not known much for a world-famous economy but that is ok I thought. Its ok to be slower and watch the life go on.. for its those subtle, quiet moments in life that nourishes one spiritually. As I became a teenager I boasted about how the city is catching up, as a true metropolitan city.. a global community and a location which quite literally, the whole world respects.

Somehow as a spectator of the petty competition of the clash of the metros, I quite didn't realise what Bangalore would become in the years to follow. No city is defined by man-made partitions, maps, or boarded territories. We chose to bifurcate, partition, name and sequentially destroy each city, town or village, one by one. In the end Bangalore was a beautiful stretch of land, approximately 800 sq.kms in size and at a height of 1km above land level, a land where the flora thrived.. where during the season of spring one could see the boulevards lined with Gulmohars burst out into their red glory and the exotic Tabebuia trees competing with their pink or yellow. Fruits and vegetables were fresher than I've ever known, even when brought by the humble cart-pusher and we never had a water purifier until the 2000's.. just fresh boiled natural water.

Fast forward 16 years and what are we focussing on? Foaming lakes, overflowing drains, garbage spewing, fleecing autos, loutish motorists and that mish-mash of tar, red mud and farraginous debris that we call a road. Money is the be all and end all, the ultimate reward for losing the essence of living. For the rest, hey we can as well blame the city coz duh.. it don't talk back.

- A still faithful Bangalorean with no faith in any of the circuitous, irrational and hyped up systems, checks & measures. It all makes for a good newsday in the end.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 08:55   #12403
Distinguished - BHPian

For no one's fault?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-puncture.jpg

Source: Deccan Herald

And few days before when one of my ex-colleagues had parked her car in a no parking zone, this is what she had to pay for:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-13925211_10154429325659532_3088263233117001023_n.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th August 2016 at 09:04.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 10:14   #12404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For no one's fault?

Attachment 1540819

Source: Deccan Herald
Clearly the fault of the cyclist. If someone has o be fined, it has to be him.
If the cargo or luggage is not secured, isn't it his fault?

But the traffic police will only catch the poor car guy who is an easy target.
The car guy can shout all he wants but will have to pay up finally!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 10:23   #12405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Clearly the fault of the cyclist. If someone has o be fined, it has to be him.
Exactly and then the Traffic cop fining a cyclist for a violation is always a distant dream

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks