Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2016, 23:22   #13201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Well I guess Abhi's point came across in a way it was not intended to!
Well, had to re-read my post and I understand that, that was not how i intended to put my points, so apologies!

Obviously generalizing anything was not my point! Heck, my dad drives alone to his office!
Point is, even if people have ideal conditions to initiate a car pool, they don't and my argument considering them was to take those few extra steps!
Anyways, most of us get scared literally when trying to imagine the future, so lets see where it takes us. Time will tell.
Old 26th November 2016, 23:30   #13202
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think infrastructure can't grow beyond a point. To match the number of 15 or 20 floor apartment complexes, we might need 3 or 4 levels of roads.
On that same logic, how are these builders/developers getting permission to construct more and more residential and office buildings? Before permitting new construction, there should be a mechanism to check whether underlying infrastructure can support it. Looking at the number of buildings (residential and office) coming up on the ORR Marathahalli - Sarjapur section, another few thousand cars will be added shortly.

ORR has 6 lanes plus 2 lanes each on service roads. Are we sure, we are using these 10 lanes properly? Can there be some better planning to de-congest the ORR? These days I see regular traffic jam from Bellandur towards Marathahalli and mostly the culprit is couple of buses parked haphazardly in front of the Prestige Tech Park, Kadubeesanahalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Charge a hefty sum if there are less than 3 people in a car. Implementation is difficult though.
Even if it is implemented, people can opt for cab services, where instead of one person, two persons will go to the same place and practical gain will be zero. Secondly, while trying to stop couple of violators for penalizing, might itself lead to a traffic jam.

Instead of penalizing someone for driving alone, encourage people who are car pooling by providing car pool lane, priority parking, reduce toll (wherever applicable) etc. Oh wait, we don't have resources to enforce more serious/dangerous traffic offences, who will enforce lane discipline?
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 07:17   #13203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
We all know how the government is.
So why not enforce (buses, not Volvos and Innovas) public transport on all government babus and netas? And also commandeer any vehicle for public use, that displays "EXCISE", "ARMY" "MLA", "INCOME TAX" and other such stickers?
Old 1st December 2016, 16:39   #13204
BHPian

I need to travel to Eagleton resort, Bidadi tomorrow morning from Hoodi. I was planning to start at 8am and go through the city so I can reach by 10am. Is this realistic? I was also thinking of going via Silk board/Hebbal -> NICE road. However, the poor traffic situation on outer ring road doesn't really encourage me. What are the best options?
Old 1st December 2016, 17:06   #13205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I need to travel to Eagleton resort, Bidadi tomorrow morning from Hoodi. I was planning to start at 8am and go through the city so I can reach by 10am. Is this realistic? I was also thinking of going via Silk board/Hebbal -> NICE road. However, the poor traffic situation on outer ring road doesn't really encourage me. What are the best options?
Use the NICE road. You should reach Eagleton by 9:30-9:45am. Your route will be Hoodi -> ORR -> Silk Board -> Hosur Road -> NICE road -> Mysore road.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 1st December 2016 at 17:07.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:14   #13206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Use the NICE road. You should reach Eagleton by 9:30-9:45am. Your route will be Hoodi -> ORR -> Silk Board -> Hosur Road -> NICE road -> Mysore road.
But on a working day, wouldn't be the ORR silk board and elevated road scene be very bad? I would also need to wait in queues for paying toll.

Also what do you feel about Hebbal -> Goraguntepalya -> NICE road option?

Last edited by rohanak1 : 1st December 2016 at 17:15.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:19   #13207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But on a working day, wouldn't be the ORR silk board and elevated road scene be very bad? I would also need to wait in queues for paying toll.

No idea about the Hebbal -> Goraguntepalya route. There are other threads where this part of town is discussed to death.

Don't use the electronics city elevated tollway, stay on the main road below. It isn't bad, traffic will be smooth flowing at that time.
You can also avoid Silk Board and Bommanahalli signal by cutting through HSR layout at Agara and joining Hosur Road through the Mangammanapalya Main Road.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:27   #13208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
KP Puram, Nagawara, Hebbal, Railway Crossing - These are the 3 Big bottlenecks on a weekday morning.

The Railway crossing is a real pain and there was ways to avoid that but I would say stick to Hosur Road and NICE Road option and take Mysore Road Exit.

If you take ORR - Hebbal - Goreguntepalya, you still don't have to take NICE Road and can take the usual ORR from Goreguntepalya that is signal free all the way to Nayandhalli (Mysore road intersection).

However, stick to the option KiloAlpha as advised.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:40   #13209
Senior - BHPian

Not really an accident, so not posting it on the “Accidents Thread”, instead it is more of a Bangalorish thing, thought of posting here-

A biker skidding in front of my car. Happened at Karthik Nagar, Marathahalli (On service road from Jeevika hospital to Karthik Nagar bus stop).

Let me know your thoughts on whose fault it is. I have to agree that it is partly mine because, I could have been driven a bit slower on this service road or could have stopped completely, watched and proceeded.

However, I will blame the biker who was in such a speed while approaching that junction and did not care to watch out whether anybody is cutting across. He was banking purely on his luck. Luckily he braked, else he would have flung on to my windshield. The second thing is that tempo traveler parked on the right side which completely blocked the view of both of us.

I parked and checked on them. They only had a couple of bruises but some good amount of damage on the bike headlight part. They did not pick up any argument as I think they were sure that it is more or less their fault.

Feel free to accuse me if you think it is my fault

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st December 2016 at 17:48.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:55   #13210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not really an accident, so not posting it on the “Accidents Thread”, instead it is more of a Bangalorish thing, thought of posting here-

A biker skidding in front of my car. Happened at Karthik Nagar, Marathahalli (On service road from Jeevika hospital to Karthik Nagar bus stop).
It is sad that he skid, but it is actually quite hilarious. He panicked way more than necessary. You were to your extreme left and he was actually going left (I believe so) and not straight. He could have easily completed it. He over-reacted seeing you. It's not like he skid and fell in front of you
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 17:57   #13211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts on whose fault it is.
You are too harsh on yourself. You have the right of way at that junction (I think your's comes second, after those who are turning off the ORR). The bikers have to stop and proceed at the intersection; the Traveller, though it does create a blind spot, is immaterial in this.

Having said that, a good defensive driver will anticipate such a scenario and be prepared for that bike. :-)

Btw, isn't it a dead end beyond that junction? You live there, is it?
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 18:08   #13212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Having said that, a good defensive driver will anticipate such a scenario and be prepared for that bike. :-)

Btw, isn't it a dead end beyond that junction? You live there, is it?
Yes, defensive driving. That is the first thing came into my mind once I got back into the car. In fact I had an instinct that somebody for sure will pop up behind that tempo and I was ready for a hard brake and could stop. Just that I did not slow down.

It is dead end after a few meters into that layout. Yes, I live there.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st December 2016 at 18:12.
Old 1st December 2016, 18:10   #13213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feel free to accuse me if you think it is my fault
People coming on cross roads should watch out for vehicles coming on the main road before taking a turn
Unfortunately this habit seems to have gone down the drain. In this case, you are not to be blamed for the bike skidding. It is his fault entirely. He should have known that there is a main road so he has to slow down at the intersection.
Nowadays it is the other way round. People going on the main roads should be ultra cautious whenever they see a cross road in their path. Reason being you never know when a moron will come in your way.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 19:30   #13214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
On that same logic, how are these builders/developers getting permission to construct more and more residential and office buildings? Before permitting new construction, there should be a mechanism to check whether underlying infrastructure can support it. Looking at the number of buildings (residential and office) coming up on the ORR Marathahalli - Sarjapur section, another few thousand cars will be added shortly.
I have thought about these things too. But if you look at the laws, all it says is given the width of the road and the zone, your built up area can be so much.

Now for someone who has empty plot of land to be denied this right with reasons that others built buildings and traffic is too much would not be right (within the current system)

We have not thought about these things or what systems we need to develop, to make sure these things dont happen. We are just going ahead with the thinking that we will see later.

Last edited by srishiva : 1st December 2016 at 19:31.
Old 1st December 2016, 19:59   #13215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your best option is like mentioned in one of the earlier post. Silk board - elevated road - Nice road.

You may even bypass silk board and go via Sarjapur road - Jail road. A few months back we had a day outing at Eagleton , and our bus took this Jail road while starting from Marathalli.

By the way, is Eagleton still open? They had a case earlier on encroaching government land to build their golf course.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st December 2016 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks