Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 21:02   #406
BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Hi Guys,

While getting the PUC done for my Eon (Reg - Dec 2013) which is a BS IV vehicle, it comes out as Bharat Stage 3 in the Certificate.

The PUC guy told me that it needs to be corrected from the RTO itself.

Can anyone here throw some more light on this?
Old 1st March 2022, 11:34   #407
BHPian

I remeber an instance where the pollution check of one of my (superbly maintained) cars failed. This happened in a PuC centre in a prime location in Delhi. The PuC kiosk operator suggested that I pay Rs. 300 to get it sorted instantly - this would entail taking a (mandatory) pic of my car while quickly swapping it with another vehicle (probably belonging to the puC centre owner) in which the emission pipe would be inserted. I politely declined and took the vehicle to the nearest ASS for a thorough check, rectification (if any) followed by PuC assessment. Guess what - my vehicle passed the test without any intervention!

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2022 at 12:30. Reason: Fixed the Typos
Old 2nd March 2022, 20:12   #408
Senior - BHPian

Gents, a friend of mine is not able to get a puc done for his BS6 Wagon R. The tests centers all plead helplessness and say are stuck with procedural delays from the central govt. This is in Trivandrum, Kerala. Has anyone had luck with this?
Old 7th March 2022, 18:07   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Despite this notice, for the last 1-2 years, the certificates were given with expiry dates printed both ways - some centres printed a 6 month validity, and a few printed a 1 year validity. ?
In Jan 2021 I got the emission checked for my KA registered BS4 petrol Figo in Kerala and was issued a 1 year certificate. The PUC details were updated on the Parivahan weblink below.

https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...tificate.xhtml

When it was time to renew the PUC this year I was issued a 6 month PUC when I got it done in Bangalore. Unfortunately I was in a hurry while doing the PUC and checked it after a few days. Strangely the PUC details are not updated on parivahan site and turns out there is another site to check for Karnataka transport.

https://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ReportingUser/Scgr1.aspx

After this I checked the PUC of my BS4 xpulse and it was for 6 months and there are no PUC details in the parivahan or the ETC website at all.

Wonder why this disparity. Isn't the parivahan portal supposed to be a centralized database?

From the parivahan website for my Xpulse
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-parivahan.png
shady is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 19:21   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidjohri View Post
.. the pollution check of one of my (superbly maintained) cars failed. .... I politely declined and took the vehicle to the nearest ASS for a thorough check, rectification (if any) followed by PuC assessment.
Looking at what that guy was doing, it could be his regular act. I would have gone to another center, and if it still failed, then go to the service centre for a check.

One other point - if the FE remains good, and no drop in between the two emission tests, then the new emission test should have been clear too, isnt it ? Or can emission fail even if FE is good ?
Old 7th March 2022, 19:29   #411
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Wonder why this disparity. Isn't the parivahan portal supposed to be a centralized database?
Thanks for the URLs and pointing this out !

I had similar experience too. I had got PUC done in Kerala and I had got 1 year validity for my BS-IV car.

Now, my service center in Bangalore has this PUC center in its premises and they make sure check the validity PUC certificate. They informed me that the PUC is expired. Now, I am sure they had checked in transport department website and found it expired.

Now, I have 2 PUCs, one with 6 months validity and other with 1 year.

There is certainly some disparity between Karnataka transport dept's portal and parivahan portal.
Old 7th March 2022, 19:53   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looking at what that guy was doing, it could be his regular act. I would have gone to another center, and if it still failed, then go to the service centre for a check.

One other point - if the FE remains good, and no drop in between the two emission tests, then the new emission test should have been clear too, isnt it ? Or can emission fail even if FE is good ?
The ASS was not too far from the PuC centre in question. Hence decided to get things sorted there, especially in case any adjustment was required. I did not notice any significant drop in FE before / after this incident. Moreover I should have mentioned in my previous post that the vehicle was serviced (at ASS) around 4-5 months prior to the PuC failure. The representative at the ASS suggested that PuC failure is a regular occurrence in particular models of particular brands. Don't know who to believe here.
Old 7th March 2022, 19:54   #413
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Thanks for the URLs and pointing this out !

I had similar experience too.
By any chance, do you use the mParivaahan mobile app and is it reflecting with the PUC certificate number/validity? I thought all the PUC centers across the country were mandated to go online and hence linked to central database.

Also, did your certificate has a QR code and how many digits of the number visible (I think it is a 16 digit number now )?
Old 7th March 2022, 22:11   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Also, did your certificate has a QR code and how many digits of the number visible (I think it is a 16 digit number now )?
My Figo's PUC has a 13 digit number. The Xpulse's certificate has a 12 digit number. Neither of the certificates have a QR code. There is a hologram sticker that these centers stick on the certificate.
Old 7th March 2022, 22:29   #415
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My Figo's PUC has a 13 digit number. The Xpulse's certificate has a 12 digit number. Neither of the certificates have a QR code. There is a hologram sticker that these centers stick on the certificate.
Ok, it seems Karnataka has not joined the Central PUC Database/project. In the parivahan website that you have shared a screen shot, you can search for PUC center. It does not list Karnataka and few other states. May be that is the reason.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:13   #416
Senior - BHPian

Today went to the ladies operated IOC petrol pump Pollution checking center near BDA Complex Indira Nagar Bangalore. Rates for Diesel cars have gone up to 160. I was surprised when they issued me a 6 months valid certificate for my BS4 car. Normally they issue me 1 year validity. On asking them they said rules have changed since some time.

I was in a hurry so did not push further. This was the only place so far that gave 1 year valid certificates without having to push for it.

If they too joined the scamming bandwagon I don't know. If this is the case then i can get it from my nearby checkers than planning a drive here!

Please let me know if any changes in rule happened or they are also resorting to scams nowadays!!
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:53   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Please let me know if any changes in rule happened or they are also resorting to scams nowadays!!
Looks like a change. Same experience here at a test centre in a Nyara/Essar bunk. He showed me the screen where it wasnt allowing to give a 1 year validity date.
Old 9th March 2022, 17:59   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I was surprised when they issued me a 6 months valid certificate for my BS4 car.
Does the bold text at the top of the certificate still say that validity for BS4 vehicles is one year?
Old 9th March 2022, 18:15   #419
BHPian

I had done my PUC yesterday for BS6 vehicle. The person at the center said the validity is decided by the system, whether it is 6 months or a year.
I got mine for 1 year and was charged 160 for it. I checked in the website http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ReportingUser/Scgr1.aspx to verify the validity of the certificate.
Old 9th March 2022, 18:31   #420
BHPian

A lot of older KA registered vehicles currently show "Not available" under the column "Emission Norms" in their RC cards. Now getting a PUC for these vehicles in KA is not an issue, since it's not linked to the centralized Vahan database. However, a lot of other states do not allow a PUC unless the Vahan database is updated with the emission norms. This shift happened some time in late-2019 in WB, post which I had to get our car's RC updated to reflect "BS-2" from the earlier "Not available".
Now I plan on taking my KA registered bike to WB in a couple of months, where, in all probability, it'll spend the rest of its life. Cannot transfer the registration because WB doesn't allow registration for pre-BS4 vehicles. In that case, how can I continue getting a PUC issued in WB for my bike every 6 months? In WB I had approached an agent who charged me Rs. 700 to get my car's emission norms updated in the database, does such a system also exist in Bangalore? If yes, I want to get it done before I move the bike.

Last edited by boniver : 9th March 2022 at 18:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks