Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 20:48   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

After nearly a decade on Team BHP, I landed on this thread for the first time. Why? Well I just went through a saga to get the PUC renewed for my BMW X3 20d. (And it is still not done)

I usually get my PUC done from one of the random Omnis parked on the streets - there is one in Parel close to home, but there were also plenty near BKC which is where my office is located. I last did this in October last year.

With the Covid saga leading me to shift to work from home, I completely forgot that something called PUC exists until about 3 weeks ago. As lockdowns have been relaxed, I started using my cars more frequently and decided to get the PUC done. Went to my usual guy near home with my Petrol Vento, and he told me that his link to the online server (what’s that?) had crashed and hence he could not get the PUC done. Drove down Ambedkar Road towards Sion, and surprisingly none of the petrol pumps had working PUC machines until the one just before Sion station - a good 8-9 km from home. The guy asked me whether the car was a petrol or diesel - when I asked why, he said he could only test petrols. I had never heard of this, but took what I got in terms of a test for the Vento and then went home. Stepped out the next day - my usual guy wanted to connect something to the X3’s battery terminals to test the PUC levels. I told him the battery was in the boot - but there was a positive terminal connection in the bonnet - he tried that, but it didn’t work. He next called someone who said they need some kind of probe to test my car, and he could not do it. Over the next few weekends, checked most pumps between Worli and Mahim, and till Sion - but none of them could test my diesel car.

Was zapped - and started Googling, and was surprised to find the complex process for testing diesel cars. That has never happened with me before - my car has always had a probe inserted at idle, and then I had been given a hand written certificate. Obviously, the guys had not been testing my car as per norms - and giving a certificate with random readings.

So whatever change took place in the last year is good - but strangely, for diesel cars, I am yet to find someone nearby who can do the proper test.

If any of the Central / South Bombay BHPians knows where this can be done, would greatly appreciate a lead.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:27   #287
BHPian

Diesel cars have always had PUC tests done this way as far as I know.

Battery terminals are connected with something like a 'jump start' cable and the readings are noted at different RPMs with the A pedal gunned down repeatedly.

So that means somebody will occupy your driver's seat for a few minutes at least 😊. You know what I mean!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 22:57   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
If any of the Central / South Bombay BHPians knows where this can be done, would greatly appreciate a lead.
Hi, please use the link given below to find out if there's a PUC centre in your area that tests diesel vehicles.

https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...nterList.xhtml
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:08   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, please use the link given below to find out if there's a PUC centre in your area that tests diesel vehicles.

https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...nterList.xhtml
Thanks. Had checked this link (it was posted on this thread) but a number of the centres shown as having the ability to test diesel cars don’t have that ability any more - and some of them have no PUC at all. But yes, there are 75 of them shown here - so there must be some that still work.

Last edited by Hayek : 22nd August 2020 at 23:12.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:31   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Had gone for PUC renewal today but an issue cropped up. My car was bought pre-owned and was previously registered in Kolkata. However, it was subsequently registered in Ranchi years ago when I bought the same. I have a valid Ranchi RC and all this time I was able to get PUC done without any hassles except today. They have connected the vehicle details to some database and now it says my car is registered under ‘more than one Rto’ and hence they cannot proceed.
I’m in a fix over this new system which has brought a lot of difficulties and possibility of being fined due to no valid PUC despite paying all the road tax and going through the hassles of registering the car in the new state.

I believe some members have gone through the same. How were they same to solve this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginWheels View Post
Hello Team,

Subject - PUC renewal in Kolkata for
As per a new directive from the West Bengal Motor Vehicles department the PUC testing personnel are looking up for the vehicle information in a website to find the emission details.
Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks in anticipation of advice.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd August 2020 at 14:33.
Old 23rd August 2020, 22:40   #291
BHPian

Facing the same situation in Delhi for Diesel vehicles, all the PUC centers (actual booths in Petrol Pumps) are declining to perform the check on Diesel vehicles. They are claiming that the server is down, however it does not sound very convincing.
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:33   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Facing the same situation in Delhi for Diesel vehicles, all the PUC centers (actual booths in Petrol Pumps) are declining to perform the check on Diesel vehicles. They are claiming that the server is down, however it does not sound very convincing.
Have you checked with your car ASC?
When the fine amounts for all vehicle/traffic offenses were increased last year, there was a big rush in all the testing centers across Bangalore and most resorted to refusing Diesel vehicles since diesel testing takes longer. At that time, I managed to get the PUC done from the Hyundai service center. Might take more time than the petrol pumps but it is an option.
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:35   #293
BHPian

I did the PUC Test for my SX4 Diesel and it was incorrectly (I'm guessing on purpose) entered as BS3 by the previous tester. The validity for a BS3 Vehicle is 6 months and BS4 is 1 year. This time there was no option to change to BS4 as the details were already in the system and I got issued a PUC Certificate for 6 months only . Any guidance on how to change the same? As in whom/where to contact, etc?
Old 24th August 2020, 16:27   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
They have connected the vehicle details to some database and now it says my car is registered under ‘more than one Rto’ and hence they cannot proceed.
Quick update:

This went off rather smoothly. I just shot an email to the concerned Kolkata RTO citing the NOC number issued a few years ago requesting them to deactivate the vehicle under their RTO as the same is under Ranchi RTO now.

Got a pleasant reply today morning from them that the same has been processed at their end. I checked the vahan website and it was good to go. Sent them a thank you mail acknowledging their speedy resolution.

And yes, I got the PUC done smoothly today.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:34   #295
BHPian

Is this true? Views? Credible or BS?

Looks like they themselves are not sure and are asking us.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-screenshot_20200824161514.jpg  

Old 24th August 2020, 17:08   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
I got my tucson's PUC done in greater noida - even noida guys refused - it was updated on Vaahan also, with a proper certificate being given by the guy.
Old 24th August 2020, 19:00   #297
BHPian

BLR folks,

Which PUC centers are providing 1yr validity for Diesel BS4 vehicle? I stay near Whitefield and many of the centers around are providing only 6 months validity. I don't mind driving to any other center around Bangalore if they are providing me 1yr validity. 6 months validity is too much of a hassle and with the new Insurance circular it will be a pain to keep renewing every 6 months.
By the way is this (varying validity) a technical issue or a big racket that is going on?
Old 24th August 2020, 21:03   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
BLR folks,

Which PUC centers are providing 1yr validity for Diesel BS4 vehicle? I stay near Whitefield and many of the centers around are providing only 6 months validity. I don't mind driving to any other center around Bangalore if they are providing me 1yr validity. 6 months validity is too much of a hassle and with the new Insurance circular it will be a pain to keep renewing every 6 months.
By the way is this (varying validity) a technical issue or a big racket that is going on?
Check my old post here-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4811979 (PUC - Pollution Under Control ?)
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:36   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

So I had to do a PUC for my car & bike. Took the car to the Indian oil pump on LB Road, near the Adyar bus depot. The assistant was upfront about the Rs.200/- charges and I said ok to get it done, especially since I was about to get the ownership transfer process initiated.

Now since most people refer to this guy for anything on PUC, I wanted to see alternative options. I was told about a PUC centre near Mandaveli but since I stay at Adyar, was more interested in some options closeby.

Someone suggested me that the first fuel pump on ECR after the Thiruvanmiyur RTO does PUC so I went there to see the shop closed and was told the guy hasnt xome after lockdown lifted in Chennai. Spoke to the attendant and he told me there is a shop opp Jeppiar college in OMR / Sholinganallur.

Pushed off to Sholinganallur via ECR itself and took at a right at the signal at Akkarai (?) and took the ECR - Sholinganallur link road - stopped right after the toll to enquire and I was told about a PUC guy before the toll (when you come from ECR).

Found the shop and got it done only to realize he charged me Rs.100/- while the actual rate is Rs. 40/-. Got into a heated discussion and the owner said they need to pay the 'cut' to RTO guys and hence the added rate. He also complained that if they dont pay, they are made to close the shop and harassed by the RTO guys.

PS : So, now it seems there are atleast 2 PUC centres near Adyar and 2 more near Sholinganallur. If anyone has more details of the centres in Chennai, please do list it.
--------

On the other hand, am reading in Malayalam dailies that a BS4 vehicle (post 2012) are supposed to be given a 1 year valid certificate instead of the current 6 months validity. Seems Kerala RTO has already issued a note to all centres to this regard and is such a welcome change. Any other state where its (1 year validity) already implemented?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th September 2020 at 20:39. Reason: added PS section
Old 13th September 2020, 21:18   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
BLR folks,

Which PUC centers are providing 1yr validity for Diesel BS4 vehicle? I stay near Whitefield and many of the centers around are providing only 6 months validity.
Try in HP (MATS) near Brookfield mall. While doing force him to select BS4 in the software. If required, tell him that you will talk to the Manager.

Initially the attendant was adamant saying that diesel automatic will get 6 month only, but once I talked with the manager, he had to give me one year validity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks