Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 17:42   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
That's just wrong implementation, goes against the order. Or it may be a "bug".
Hopefully it is a bug and they sort it out. Even I found it ridiculous. But, I saw it on the system and selected the various options myself. Since they need to enter the vehicle number, the web portal does a verification and throws an error. So, I am sure that the operator was not trying to cheat me since I know him very well and have been going to him over the past many years to get the PUC done for all the vehicles in home.
Old 13th March 2022, 12:42   #437
Senior - BHPian

Got the Pollution check certificate done today for my SCross 1.6. It's a BS4 vehicle, but there was no option to choose 1 yr validity option.
It was preselected based on the registration number. According to the operator, 1 year validity is only applicable for cars which are less than 5yrs old.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 21:01   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Got the Pollution check certificate done today for my SCross 1.6. It's a BS4 vehicle, but there was no option to choose 1 yr validity option.
It was preselected based on the registration number. According to the operator, 1 year validity is only applicable for cars which are less than 5yrs old.
In Delhi PuC certificate is valid for 1 year for all BS-4 vehicles (manufactured post 31 March 2010). From my humble knowledge the PuC system automatically assigns one year validity for such vehicles. I hope I've got this right - would request BHPians especially from Delhi / NCR to validate.
Old 16th March 2022, 16:43   #439
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, when's your next test ? Can you check it then ?
Just got it done today, previous one expired the day before yesterday so I was a day late in getting it renewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Today went to the ladies operated IOC petrol pump Pollution checking center near BDA Complex Indira Nagar Bangalore. Rates for Diesel cars have gone up to 160. I was surprised when they issued me a 6 months valid certificate for my BS4 car. Normally they issue me 1 year validity. On asking them they said rules have changed since some time.
I went to the same place (haven't got it done anywhere else in the last 2 decades actually!).
I was watching what the operator was doing on screen and there were no changes made to the data which was already there in the system from earlier transactions.
The operator did mention the rule has changed and it is 1 year validity only for 2019 and later manufactured vehicles.

Here's a Side x Side comparo with my previous certificate (1 year validity) and current one (6 months validity).
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-pucold-vs-new.jpg

At the top notice that the second line isn't there anymore which used to clearly mention BSIII and earlier get 6 months validity and BSIV and later get 1 year validity.

I don't have any reason to believe it is a scam at the test centre end, it could be a software bug or the government has really updated the rule, but what beats me why isn't it clearly mentioned as it was done earlier ? That raises some doubt though.

**For all earlier renewals for this car, the operator was not selecting the validity anywhere, it was generated automatically based on the data for the vehicle which was taken from RC Card the very first time.

Last edited by NPV : 16th March 2022 at 16:46.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:28   #440
Senior - BHPian

I went and got the PUC renewed for my 2016 scross 1.3 which obviously is a BS4 vehicle. The agent asked me if it is BS4 and I confirmed. They asked for a copy of the RC and I showed the one from digilocker and mparivahan, and they wanted a copy of the original RC. Puzzled and not wanting to argue, I asked the agent to get it done, while I called home to get someone to Whatsapp me the copy. Showed it to the agent and said, sir this is not a BS4 car. Upon further probing, the agent said, it should mention BS4 in the RC else it is considered as a BS3 car. Whatever. Just give me a 1 year RC and we will see about that later as there are no BS3 scross ever built in India. Got a 1 year PUC.

PS: mparivahan also now shows the updated 1 year validity for PUC when I checked after about 20 minutes.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:44   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Please check this circular by Karnataka Transport department which notifies the rate increase as well I think it tells something about the applicability of 1 year validity for in the last page. People who know Kannada can read and provide the translation.

https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...nt%20order.pdf
True, this order looks like a rate card revision only and does not talk about the BS IV vehicle year of manufacture. In fact the point 5 mentions about the 1 year validity of BS IV vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't have any reason to believe it is a scam at the test centre end, it could be a software bug or the government has really updated the rule, but what beats me why isn't it clearly mentioned as it was done earlier ? That raises some doubt though.
The govt cannot change the CMV rules regarding the PUC, so it is status quo. I think the only thing that KA RTO did was to remove the manual intervention at the testing center in choosing the validity. Now, the issue is that the RTO records does not maintain the BS classification in a uniform way. It is usually part of the Vehicle Model information. So the easier path taken was to classify all vehicles post 2019 as BS IV. Though the BSIV deadline was 2017 and all manufactures have complied with it, some as early as 2010-11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I went and got the PUC renewed for my 2016 scross 1.3 which obviously is a BS4 vehicle. The agent asked me if it is BS4 and I confirmed. They asked for a copy of the RC and I showed the one from digilocker and mparivahan, and they wanted a copy of the original RC. Puzzled and not wanting to argue, I asked the agent to get it done, while I called home to get someone to Whatsapp me the copy. Showed it to the agent and said, sir this is not a BS4 car. Upon further probing, the agent said, it should mention BS4 in the RC else it is considered as a BS3 car. Whatever. Just give me a 1 year RC and we will see about that later as there are no BS3 scross ever built in India. Got a 1 year PUC.

PS: mparivahan also now shows the updated 1 year validity for PUC when I checked after about 20 minutes.
This again points to the lack of BS information present in the RTO database. And it is left to the operator to decide based on the information in the RC card.

It is just a matter of time that this issue will be pursued by someone and media. My little birdie says that it is already in the works.

Last edited by bejoy : 16th March 2022 at 17:46.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 21:55   #442
BHPian

Have a query here. Got my new car a week back. The dealer told I need to get PUC done after 6 months. I didn't check this earlier but today I saw that in glove box, there is the green "Non Polluting Vehicle" sticker. I haven't applied that on windshield. Do I need to do so?
Old 28th March 2022, 00:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Have a query here. Got my new car a week back… Do I need to do so?
No, it’s not mandatory. Congratulations for your new car
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 10:49   #444
Senior - BHPian

Fees for PUC certificates hiked in Karnataka (news report in The Hindu)

Quote:
Old prices in brackets

Two-wheelers ₹65 (₹50)
Autos ₹75 (₹60)
Four-wheelers(petrol, LPG, CNG) ₹115 (₹90)
All diesel vehicles ₹160 (₹125)

Transport Commissioner N. Shivakumar said that the fee was revised after receiving requisition from the owners of the emission testing centers. “The fee for pollution under control certificates was earlier revised in 2015. The department has not revised fees for close to six years. The new revised fee order was issued in January,” he said.
Old 21st April 2022, 13:15   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Isn't the parivahan portal supposed to be a centralized database?
Yes, it is a centralised database and theoretically you can get your vehicle's pollution checked and certificate issued from any PUC Centre in any place in India, provided that place has subscribed to the parivahan database.

Now in reality what happens, at the time of new vehicle sale, the dealer or the RTO has to fill in each and every vehicle detail on the Parivahan portal. This includes a drop-down menu which has ALL the emission norms listed, starting from BS3, BS4 and also other segment specific emission norms such as Tractor Emission norms listed as TREM-IV etc, etc.

Now the person entering your new car details, has to enter your new car's Emission Norms also as specified by the manufacturer and printed on Form-20, into this data field on Parivahan, check-mark the radio button and save it. Then your vehicle goes live on the PUC website.

Sometimes these guys do not populate this field and the emission norms field is left blank. Then you have unending problems especially if you take your car on a road trip and want to get a PUC done in another state - the online system will simply say - "incomplete vehicle data" and will refuse to recognise your vehicle's registration plate!

To overcome this, some states, run a parallel local software, independent of Vahan, where they capture the PUC data. This is not linked to Vahan.

I discovered all of this, much to my chagrin with my TN registered vehicle, when i took it to West Bengal. For some strange reason most car owners in TN do not get a PUC done on a REGULAR basis, unlike WB where police are very strict about PUC certificates.

The registration plate of my TN registered car would not get recognised by Central PUC database because of the above mentioned input gaffe.
And it can ONLY be corrected at the ORIGIN RTO whereas I was in WB when all these shenanigans were on!
Eventually, I had to send a soft copy of my TN reg certificate to my friend in Chennai who went to the concerned RTO and updated the emission norms field in Vahan portal.
Now I can get the PUC issued from anywhere. As I travel frequently between WB and TN by car, I have got my PUC done from WB, Orissa, even Andhra, as it falls on my drive route.
Validity is for a year as it is a BS-4 petrol model.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:44   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Fees for PUC certificates hiked in Karnataka
Has been in force for the past 12 weeks now. Another change is BS4 vehicles now get a 6 month certificate, and not a 1 year cert that we used to get earlier.
Old 28th April 2022, 10:47   #447
Senior - BHPian

The rates of Vehicle Pollution Control Test (PUC) in Maharashtra will be increased from today, Thursday. Now you have to pay Rs 50 instead of Rs 35 for a two-wheeler. There will be a charge of Rs 125 for petrol cars and Rs 150 for diesel vehicles. The Transport Commissionerate issued the order on Wednesday.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91130025.cms
Old 18th June 2022, 17:15   #448
Senior - BHPian

What is with the pollution testing center for testing Diesel vehicles? Today was the 3rd center that I visited and hearing that their system is not working for Diesel vehicles.

Why is it so different from petrol vehicle testing and prone to be NOT working.
Old 19th June 2022, 10:43   #449
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I received this message from VM-VAHAAN :

Quote:
Kind Attention ******** PUC Certificate of Vehicle No. MH******* has expired on 11-Jun-2022. Now you are liable to pay delay fee additionally as per law. Please get it renewed fast to avoid further penal actions. Thanks. MUMBAI (WEST) MoRTH
Has any law been changed with regards to PUC? AFAIK, there were no delay fees charged for PUC and fine would be imposed only if the vehicle is plying on the road without a PUC.
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:52   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It's a BS4 vehicle, but there was no option to choose 1 yr validity option.
I was told the same thing by the operator for my 2017 registered Alto 800. Got a certificate valid for six months. Till last year I got one-year validity.

Today I happened to check the car details on the Vahan portal and there it shows Bharat Stage III prominently. Do they downgrade the emission category after 5 years? Also, the emission norm category is not available in physical RC and in Digilocker. Does anyone know how to get it corrected or if it is even possible and worth the effort?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks