Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 15:09   #331
BHPian

Toll started from 7th April 2010 4 AM. But pain with smaller toll plaza remains the same. I had to wait for 10 mins to get tickets, many people are not interested to take elevated highway despite huge traffic jams at Bommenahalli, Kudlu and Hosa road. It takes exactly 8 mins to reach Silk board fly over from Electronic city.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:52   #332
BHPian

I guess it will smoothen out in a few days, but when will people learn to be orderly? Always jumping queues and barging in
Old 9th April 2010, 11:10   #333
BHPian

A colleague was saying, "why would people waste fuel (and money) in traffic, rather than pay and use the highway".
Old 9th April 2010, 12:00   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

If Saving fuel(Money) is looked at as the goal by traveling over the elevated stretch for 9.5 kms, the situation near Silkboard/Madiwala has worsened good enough to compensate this so called saving.
For those who religiously travel to EC everyday, the monthly toll amount can get "Utilized" fully but think of those who not only stay in areas closer to Silk Board (Koramangala, Madiwala, BTM and 'et al) and amongst them will be few who would want to work from home a few days in a month. A monthly fee of 900INR isn't justified in that case and they will still prefer paying by cash.
22 working days a month with a return pass everyday sums to990 INR thus helping the user "save" 90 bucks!! Most of the travellers to EC work 5 days a week if they dont use the Elevated stretch for 2-3 days(or more) while on leave they can still save a considerable amount.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th April 2010 at 12:04.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:20   #335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If Saving fuel(Money) is looked at as the goal by traveling over the elevated stretch for 9.5 kms, the situation near Silkboard/Madiwala has worsened good enough to compensate this so called saving.
For those who religiously travel to EC everyday, the monthly toll amount can get "Utilized" fully but think of those who not only stay in areas closer to Silk Board (Koramangala, Madiwala, BTM and 'et al) and amongst them will be few who would want to work from home a few days in a month. A monthly fee of 900INR isn't justified in that case and they will still prefer paying by cash.
22 working days a month with a return pass everyday sums to990 INR thus helping the user "save" 90 bucks!! Most of the travellers to EC work 5 days a week if they dont use the Elevated stretch for 2-3 days(or more) while on leave they can still save a considerable amount.
That true.

Also people travelling in 'Non peak' hours can avoid the toll.

Moreover, 22 bucks for 9.5kms? Isn't that a bit expensive?
Old 9th April 2010, 20:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Yes the toll is on the higher side.

Rs 30 for one way and Rs 45 for two-way (multiple use) is too much to pay for traveling < 10 km.

Surprisingly, the monthly pass is Rs 900. There seems to be no real advantage of getting a monthly pass at the existing rates, it is almost the same as paying toll on a daily basis (45 x 20 = 900).

It takes roughly the same time even if one uses the road below. If you take the road below, you might have to wait 10-15 minutes (total) for the signals. If you take the expressway, you would have to wait similar time to pay the toll.

Also, I find it much safer to use the road below as compared to the narrow expressway.
Over-speeding vehicles running on narrow lanes = recipe for disaster.

The response to the expressway after introduction of toll has been poor. Not even 25% of vehicles are using the expressway.

Rohan
Old 14th April 2010, 03:29   #337
BANNED

Has anyone seen an Interceptor on this road?

I was coming back from Hoganekkal and at around 11 reached Bangalore on Monday. Took the elevated highway and was cruising st 100KMPH. The Speed limit is 80KMPH. The interceptor was as usuall at a hiding spot which I could not see.

Moment I saw the interceptor, my eyes went on the speedometer and Oh God..!! am somewhere around 100. I slowed down my car expecting the cops to jump in my way to stop me and fine me. To My suprise, they did not even wave at me, instead they caught the cars behind me.

Was this because my car is not KA registered? or the speed guns were not working

Even if they had to send a challan to my address, where would they? How will they find my address details, The car is not registered in karnataka RTO.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 14th April 2010 at 03:31.
Old 14th April 2010, 06:13   #338
Senior - BHPian

The road below was also widened and so, in course of time I think people will get used to the roads below elevated road. Unless they reduce the fees for the toll..
Old 15th April 2010, 15:30   #339
BHPian

It is scary sometimes to drive on the elevated expressway. Most of the cars zoom at over 100kmph inspite of knowing the speed limits and that too overtaking from the left. God help the two wheelers if they are hit.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:29   #340
Senior - BHPian

The road is a bit too narrow for my comfort. Add to that cars zooming by at speeds in excess of 100. Almost can feel the drag of air around me as they whizz past. But then that was pre toll days. Now that they are charging, I guess it will be a lot more empty.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:39   #341
Senior - BHPian

I think its a sheer wasteage of money , people don’t have the vision to plan that is the basic problem. They could have increase the width of road , which it is now the case. On all the major intersecting junctions they should have provided flyovers. This could have reduced the mammoth cost of building a long elevated way.

Besides this there are no exit ways on the elevated flyover , which can be potentially hazardous in case of some major accident or natural calamity.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:46   #342
Senior - BHPian

After the introduction of the toll most of the vehicles started using road below. Bommanahalli signal is nightmare now. If you are coming from elecronics city to madiwala 3 lane road narrow down to 2 lane because of the elevated way entry reducing the vehicle flow, problem increases due to driving style also because all are in a hurry!!. Same is the case if you are going from madiwala side to elec city.

Hope they reduce monthly pass cost to Rs.500 soon.

Who decide the toll amount? whom to write our suggestions?
Old 15th April 2010, 18:19   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
After the introduction of the toll most of the vehicles started using road below. Bommanahalli signal is nightmare now. If you are coming from elecronics city to madiwala 3 lane road narrow down to 2 lane because of the elevated way entry reducing the vehicle flow, problem increases due to driving style also because all are in a hurry!!. Same is the case if you are going from madiwala side to elec city.
Bommanahalli is indeed the bottle neck.

While coming from E-City towards Silk Board, I generally try to be in the centre of the road at this signal. It becomes very difficult to merge into the narrower road if you are in the right lane.

Crossing this signal in the reverse direction is relatively simpler since you are moving from a narrower to a wider road. Just look out for pedestrians crossing at free will.

Rohan
Old 15th April 2010, 19:05   #344
BHPian

The elevated expressway is awesome! Drove on it for the first time during a recent trip to Chennai. It is by far the smoothest road I've driven on.
Safety concerns raised in the threads above are very valid. That said, I hope they have more roads like that in Bangalore
Old 15th April 2010, 20:38   #345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
The elevated expressway is awesome! Drove on it for the first time during a recent trip to Chennai. It is by far the smoothest road I've driven on.
Safety concerns raised in the threads above are very valid. That said, I hope they have more roads like that in Bangalore
More roads, with same toll fee?

I will have to buy a bicycle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks