Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 11:31   #271
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Just see the timings if you drive @80 you cross the bridge in 7.125 min
@60 - 9.5 min, @90 - 6.33 min, @100 - 5.7 min, @120 - 4.75 min, now can anyone tell me what the hale someone will achive in 3.8 min, if they cross the bridge @100 instead of 60kmph....please think before overspeeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I don't think racing helps in anyway in city traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Common sense.
We have gone through these things earlier. The folks who do follow the rules and do have some commonsense are branded as saints and Hippocrates (no not hypocrites dont ask me why) and the one's who indulge in such foolhardiness are safe in the thought that everyone is human and its their right to make mistakes.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:18   #272
Senior - BHPian

This elevated tollway is designed to ease traffic congestion, and now we end up debating insane driving. What an irony!!!
Old 12th February 2010, 14:23   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
This elevated tollway is designed to ease traffic congestion, and now we end up debating insane driving. What an irony!!!
that is inter related, if they had make it a 6 lane road most of us would not have complaned, but because its 2 way each side, and vehicles are not going to maintain the speed, thats where the discussion of rash driving is comming.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:26   #274
BHPian

I don't know if it has already been discussed or not, but I found the lanes too narrow on the elevated highway. I felt quite claustrophobic (is it the right term?) driving on it.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:33   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
I don't know if it has already been discussed or not, but I found the lanes too narrow on the elevated highway. I felt quite claustrophobic (is it the right term?) driving on it.
Yes it has been the point of discussion from the D-day, you can go through this thread and will find many ideas and questions that are popping in your mind
Old 12th February 2010, 22:41   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Just see the timings if you drive @80 you cross the bridge in 7.125 min
@60 - 9.5 min, @90 - 6.33 min, @100 - 5.7 min, @120 - 4.75 min, now can anyone tell me what the hale someone will achive in 3.8 min, if they cross the bridge @100 instead of 60kmph....please think before overspeeding
+1
On long drives, we save a couple of minutes by overspeeding and lose hours by taking "breaks" !
Old 13th February 2010, 13:21   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
+1
On long drives, we save a couple of minutes by overspeeding and lose hours by taking "breaks" !
Went onto the elevated road yesterday for the first time. What a time saver, reached EC from Silkboard in about 5-6 mins. Thankfully it was empty for the most part.

But, then it does feel quite a bit unsafe as there were a lot of morons trying do funny stuff which might kill them in the process but in all probablity they would take you along with them in their madness!

In short the elevated road is super fast and super unsafe IMO!
Old 13th February 2010, 23:37   #278
BHPian

I can't believe I missed this thread, but better late than never

My 2 cents to the various debates here... Note that I am yet to travel on this road.
  • Even before the Elevated Road road opened, BETL mentioned that they will not allow lane changes on this road. The road is designed to take vehicles in 2 single lanes in each direction at a constant speed of 80 kmph similar to, if I remember right, the Lincoln tunnel. Of course how this can be enforced on a narrow carriageway remains to be seen.
  • Knowing Bangalore politics, I can almost guarantee that the underpass work will begin this year itself at Kudlu Gate, Garebhavipalya, Bommanahalli and perhaps even Chandapura. Why?
  1. Now that the elevated road has been opened, the BBMP will have no problem digging Hosur Road.
  2. The Bommanahalli MLA, Satish Reddy, lives right there in Hongasandra/Garebhavipalya. I can almost picture a beeline of residents telling him how techies (derogatory) can fly to E-City whereas they cannot even cross the road.
  3. Look at the pattern of governance in Bangalore. Work on the PRR parallel to the BMIC project is going on in full-swing and will in all likelihood be done before NICE is able to get out of their legal mess and recover a fraction of the costs from BMIC.
All this will be good for us Bangaloreans eventually (but not so good for Maytas) because we will have not one but 2 good roads from E-City with proper underpasses and break-neck traffic that will come to a screeching halt at Madiwala.
  • In some sense, the elevated road was somewhat ill-fated from the start. See who gave this idea and you will see some other hare-brained schemes from the same person. The underpasses should have been built a long time ago when there wasn't much traffic on Hosur Road perhaps even before it was widened.
  • Koramangala, HSR Layout, Bommanahalli, E-City is planned to be connected to MG Road via monorail by SCOMI Group and L&T, the same consortium that is due to open the monorail in Bombay this year even though the Koramangala route was the first they had planned to do in India. SCOMI proposed to do this route in Bangalore without any funding from the state government, but still it has has reached nowhere. One reason could the paranoia towards Bangalore being easily accessible to outsiders. A high speed train connecting E-City, Atibele to the city could increase the catchment area for people who could commute to Bangalore for work. Hence the need for high-cost travel on this road, dereliction of the British-built famine line (railway line from Bangalore to Salem via Krishnagiri) and development of the new IT Park in Dodballapur.
  • In places like NYC & London, habitual professional traffic offenders (such as many of our cab-drivers) lose their medallion/license and can no longer drive cabs. Why? Because if they need their job, they have to ensure that are focussed on their job, follow all the rules and drive safely. Regular drivers, being considered amateur, can get away a few times with the points system. Why is this unfair? On the other hand, isn't the system here unfair since the professionals get by with their clout unlike the average Joe?
Regarding the moped guy with the 2 chickens, I couldn't help but . A picture does speak a thousand words and aptly summarizes the daredevil attitude here.

By the way, how come many of you call it "Hosa" Road?
Old 16th February 2010, 16:59   #279
BHPian

@nowwhat? : Hosa road - isn't that the name? I have always seen people referring to it as Hosa road only.

The whole problem of traffic jams on Hosur road could have been avaoided with under-passes at Bommanahalli, Garvebhavi Palaya and Hosa road junctions along with widening of the road to where it is now. The elevated toll-way seems just is a white-elephant.
Old 16th February 2010, 17:52   #280
Senior - BHPian

I am curious to see how many people use it after the introduction of toll.

I think Hosa and Hosur roads are different

Hosa road::hosur road junction = Mico Junction
isnt it?

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th February 2010 at 18:11.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:02   #281
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Quote:
@nowwhat? : Hosa road - isn't that the name?
From what I remember 'Hosa' means new in Kannada.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:09   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

From what I remember 'Hosa' means new in Kannada.
I think so too. But the name just stuck, I guess. Like Pudukkottai (New Fort) in Tamil Nadu

But hey, they can lay a new, wide road there and I'll only be too glad to call it "Hosa" Road with all my heart!
Old 16th February 2010, 18:23   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Quote:
Hosa road - isn't that the name? I have always seen people referring to it as Hosa road only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think Hosa and Hosur roads are different
Hosa road::hosur road junction = Mico Junction
isnt it?
FYI...

The whole Bommanahalli <--> E.City road is Hosur Road.

Hosa Road Branches from it to lead to Central Jail and MICO Plant.

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-hosa-vs-hosur.jpg
Old 16th February 2010, 18:27   #284
BHPian

Oh, I thought someone was asking specifically about Hosa Road. As mentioned by svsantosh, Hosa Road and Hosur Road are indeed two different roads.

Mods: Sorry, did not notice the earlier post had the Edit option still active. Please merge it with the older one if it is appropriate.

Last edited by subhashnm : 16th February 2010 at 18:29.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:25   #285
BHPian

Update: Toll collection will start from March 1st.
Monthly pass of Rs.900/- Any number of entries during the month.
The traffic below the elevated highway has also eased off after the signals are in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks