Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2014, 09:42   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
I'm more than a little worried by the growing trend of first-time bikers getting on machines like the 750. Even a RE bike is fine for a learner, but the 750 has potential for serious trouble built into it.

It is heavy, it can pull clean and clear all the way through its rev range, and the brakes aren't up to very much. Add one inexperienced biker to that mix and you've got yourself a recipe for (potentially) a very bad day.

The broader picture is excellent though. If someone would have told me 10 years ago that we would be seeing bikes like the 750 and the 390 made and sold in India at these kinds of prices, I'd have laughed it off.

The only way forward is for proper sport category licensing. It is required to weed out the posers from the bikers and to keep the roads safe for everybody on them.
Quoting you since you own one. The local HoG community here at Trivandrum has a 750 guy. Odo read 16,000 He does Tvm-Blr now and then is what I have heard and is respected by hog dealers for using the bike properly!

I can ask for specific info if anyone needs from him.

I rode the Street few months back and like you said, felt sad about the brakes. It does pull better/faster than its bigger bros. Street also looks big like its bigger bros.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 10:03   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I can ask for specific info if anyone needs from him.
I'd love to hear his long term report on the bike. Maintenance, reliability, wear and tear, niggles, that sort of thing. Thanks!
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 11:05   #318
BHPian

Quote:

5. The brakes have very little feel to them. Front feels pretty wooden with little feedback unless I use two fingers and squeeze. The rear is iffy. Overall, probably the weakest link on this bike.
Any mods or upgrades possible to fix this? A friend of mine is facing the same dilemma.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:44   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Any mods or upgrades possible to fix this? A friend of mine is facing the same dilemma.
I'm sure there are, but I don't have any specifics. Our bike is still on the stock brakes, might look at replacing them after the next service.

I'd be very surprised if some 750 owners have not already replaced at least the front disc with a bigger one. As things stand, the stopping power provided in stock trim just isn't good enough for a bike that weighs this much, especially in emergency braking situations.
Old 8th November 2014, 12:35   #320
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure there are, but I don't have any specifics. Our bike is still on the stock brakes, might look at replacing them after the next service.
I agree this is quite an issue. I've scared myself many times in panic situations thanks to fools that use our roads too.

My solution is to start with brake lines. Replace them with steel braided ones and then look at discs and calipers.

However, some blame does go to the tyres. They're just not good enough. Wheelspins on gravely roads are easy thanks to all that torque. Wet surface fishtailing happened a couple of times but the bike's manners and low CG got me out. Also locked up the rear brake under panic a couple of times.

So... Yes. Lines first. Better calipers next and finally new bakes. That's my plan.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 12:52   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
My solution is to start with brake lines. Replace them with steel braided ones and then look at discs and calipers.
Thanks, that's helpful advice, and the first I've heard from a 750 owner.

Just for my own learning - any particular reason you suggest starting with the brake lines first before the discs and calipers?
Old 8th November 2014, 13:11   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Just for my own learning - any particular reason you suggest starting with the brake lines first before the discs and calipers?
That's easy to answer. An hour's research will also give you same answers.

First, better brake lines don't void warranty. I checked on this with the Seven Islands HD here in Mumbai. They should have their own diamond black steel braided lines shortly.

Second, this is a cheap and easy DIY fix if you know how to bleed brakes properly.

Third, existing lines not only look bad but also flex. You can test this by holding the line and giving the levers a sharp hard squeeze. This flex in rubber lines means that all the pressure doesn't go to the calipers and therefore pads aren't putting enough friction onto the discs.

Fourth, the look issue. All the brake lines, clutch, throttle cables and the wiring is a smoking pile of mess (more on that in my ownership thread soon) just replacing and correctly routing it will help the look a bit but also help keep the clean and trouble free for a longer time.

If you look at Spiegler USA, you can order steel braided brake lines in any colour you want. This will help you put in some of your own into an otherwise alright machine.

I'm not sure if this is happening to other threads but the Street 750 thread has been dry as all the new owners (possibly not on Team-BHP) are super active on Whatsapp and some on Facebook. Not that folks here are missing anything at all as all those discussions are on rides, louder exhaust and cosmetics.

This leads me to a very curious conclusion that Whatsapp style snacking maybe the flavour of the season over in-depth nature of a proper forum. What it does do is takes the wind out of excitment that we are used to seeing around a new bike here.

Facebook Rooms maybe the next place to do this snacking as I'm not the types who can keep up with Whatsapp groups.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th November 2014 at 10:14. Reason: Back to back posts.
adrena is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 13:27   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
First, better brake lines don't void warranty. I checked on this with the Seven Islands HD here in Mumbai. They should have their own diamond black steel braided lines shortly.
Nailed it right there. Thanks so much for the heads up!
Old 17th November 2014, 14:09   #324
BHPian

2200 km update

The bike has just completed 2200 km and change, so I thought I'd put up an update here.

The motor is juicy as ever, gearbox has settled in nicely and feels really smooth compared to before the 1600 km service. You can still slip a gear at times, and sometimes neutral plays hide and seek with you, but by and large, it is well behaved.

The front shocks have developed a small squeaking noise from the left when taking dips or bumps on the road. I can hardly hear it over the motor when I have the helmet on, but it is more audible when testing with the helmet off. Will get it checked at the SC this weekend.

No other niggles to report right now. I'm looking into replacing the brake lines with braided steel as advised on this thread to get them to bite better, though that's not likely to happen until the second service is done. I can live with the brakes for now.

I'll be riding the 750 a little more regularly for the next couple of weeks, so I'll update this thread a little more often.

Safe riding everybody!
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 18:14   #325
BHPian

I have been routinely noticing a couple of street 750's here in bareilly since august , one is owned by an army captain who lives within the cantt . Today while riding , this bike pulled up in front of me and I rode behind him for about a kilometer . He was riding quite slow(cantt. has strict speed limit but one can normally cruise at 60 without the guards signalling you to slow down ) and his bike has screaming eagle exhaust - damn does that sounds good at that speed . Just loved the exhaust note , it was not loud and brash like some harley's make but the rumble (brrr brrr brrr brrr ) was distinct and a joy to listen to . The other harley I have noticed sports this exhaust too.

Made another observation yet again , this bike under medium/large built males around 6 ft. height appears small , not saying it is a small bike because it is big but the low fuel tank which results in the knees hunched above the tank appears odd .

ps: When harley sells their bike , do they provide a basic jacket or one has to purchase it ? both owners whenever I come across them wear the same jacket ( red horizontal stripe with HD printed across the back ) and this man also had HD helmets and think HD gloves too , like watching an advertisement board when kitted up like that .

Last edited by basuroy : 18th November 2014 at 18:15.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:29   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Just loved the exhaust note , it was not loud and brash like some harley's make but the rumble (brrr brrr brrr brrr ) was distinct and a joy to listen to . The other harley I have noticed sports this exhaust too.

ps: When harley sells their bike , do they provide a basic jacket or one has to purchase it ? both owners whenever I come across them wear the same jacket ( red horizontal stripe with HD printed across the back ) and this man also had HD helmets and think HD gloves too , like watching an advertisement board when kitted up like that .
The screaming eagle exhaust does wonders to Street's exhaust note, much more than it does to any other HD model. During my weekend HOG ride, we had around 30-40 Streets in the group and none of them had the stock exhaust.

And no sir, you dont get anything with the bike, not even a keychain
Old 19th November 2014, 06:38   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
And no sir, you dont get anything with the bike, not even a keychain
Yes and no. I got two things that made me happy. The HD backpack which has that clever helmet pouch and a full tank of gas! I thought that was perfect and way better than jacket, helmet & gloves with HD all over it.

But yes... You don't even get a free service.
Old 19th November 2014, 09:14   #328
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rohit Sharma shares the following experience via email:

Quote:
I would like to draw your kind attention towards the problems I am facing with my brand new Harley Davidson Street 750. Out of the total ownership time of close to 180 days - half of its time the bike has spent at your dealer - Seven Islands (Turbhe) Workshop. I have no idea the kind of damage it has sustained internally and have no clue as to what R&D they are doing on the bike to make it work. Everytime it goes for a problem their - it takes them close to a week or more to assess it first and then they work on it. The first time it went for three weeks followed by one week each and the fourth visit has already gone beyond 2 weeks and is still at the workshop as I send you this email.

I would like to draw your attention to my little story too - if you have ten minutes to spare.

May 23rd was an iconic day for us as that day one of the longest cherished childhood dream came true - of riding a Harley Davidson. Unfortunately we had no idea then that where it was heading. Not so long ago we were proud to be the very first of the lot waiting for the Seven Island Dealership to take bookings on March 1st and I wasn’t shocked when we were told that I was the 18th owner of their brand new "Street 750" model.

The first month as were instructed by the dealership was the run in period that we spent riding the bike below 60-70 KMPH - it was way too hard to ride a bike of that calibre at that speed for the first 1000 KMs but somehow we still managed as it was a dream come true for us to ride it and show around to our friends and family - almost everyone was in shock / awe of the bike - there wasn’t one person who was known to us who would not only ask to ride the bike but will take some parting shots with it as well.

Unfortunately the dream lasted only one month as the nightmare started right after the first service (precisely 1600 KMs on Odometer) was done. First problem with the bike started right after the service as my cousin started to go on rides with his friends (Owners of other Street 750 bikes) when a friend noticed that something inside the exhaust was way too red (hot) more than it should've been on 26th July 2014. Immediately we called up the Harley helpline and were told that it wasn’t something abnormal but was a usually problem with this segment - it took them a little more than 3 weeks to fix up the issue. Although they were kind enough to pick up the bike from my place in Kandivali West to their service station in Turbhe (New Mumbai). It was quite a sight for my apartment people when the tow truck came in and the bike was loaded on the mini truck. I wasn’t sure if it was a proud or a sad moment for me.

The Bike came back after spending 21 days at the workshop and were told that the problem was rectified and there wasn’t anything that we should worry about and go on with our rides. As it was the rainy season at our part of the world - we decided not to take chances with the new bike and took it slowly - during all this time it was used as a city ride - to the office and back.

But it developed another set of problem after a month and a half - this time the problem was unique - that the moment it will hit reserve - the bike will conk off - it was all good till we kept it above the reserve mark. Again the same exercise - call to Harley Customer Service and bike was picked up yet again - although this time it was an embarrassing experience for us in the society as people weren’t that dumb to accept that the bike was going for a usual service as they knew it had developed some serious issue. This time it was picked up on 11th October but returned after a week's stay at the workshop. The rider who rode it back to my place ran out of fuel mid ways - he was kind enough to put 200/- petrol so we could test if it conks off again after hitting reserve but it didn’t, so we took as sigh of relief that finally our ordeal seemed to be over.

Unfortunately by this time a lot of other friends who used to join me for rides started backing off thinking - what if someday my bike conks off mid ways on a ride?? how are we going to tow it away to a safe place. Hence we filled it up this time with 500/- worth of fuel and ride it locally to check if the problem is sorted out. Bingo!! it conked off again precisely on hitting reserve and will not start even after filling it up to the brim. Hence Harley's towing vehicle picked it up yet again for the third time after first service on 29th October and I am was told today that is 18th November that they are still trying to detect the problem which as per them is some wiring harness issue and they are replacing the whole wiring which is going to take another 10 days or more.

So far, Harley Davidson / Seven Island has out rightly rejected our request of replacing the defective bike - also no temporary replacement is provided yet for the third time in last three months. I have no idea as how to proceed in this matter and who to approach to know what exactly is wrong with the bike and how long they are going to take it to repair it?

Best regards
Rohit Sharma
Model: Harley Davidson Street 750
Regn: MH02DM7808
Regn Date: 22-5-2014
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 09:32   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm stumped as to why it should take so long and so many trips to the service center to figure out the problem especially since Harley's are pretty low on all the techno-wizardry gizmos.

I hope Rohit does get his bike back soon with a permanent fix.

Just the other day, I was suggesting the 750 to a buddy of mine and was telling him about the brilliant engine and handling capabilities of this bike.

This may be a one off case but nevertheless needs proper intervention to resolve customer issues on priority.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 12:47   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing this, GTO, and thanks to Rohit Sharma too.

Our HD750 has run a little over 2200 km, and I haven't seen this problem crop up yet, touch wood. I normally only tank up after the warning light goes on, so no idea why he is having so much trouble with it.

If this is happening only when fuel drops to a certain level, there's a couple of things that come to mind:

1. Fuel pump location: If the fuel pump had been dislodged and is now not able to pump fuel through below a certain level, might that cause this problem? Only thing is I don't know why it would take so long to diagnose and solve if this is the case.

2. Fuel deposits: Could the grade of petrol used be leaving deposits in the tank, which are then interfering with the pump/injectors when the level is low enough for the deposits to clog the system? Against, seems simple enough to diagnose.

Any other thoughts on this, gearheads on here? I'd love to see if crowd-sourcing on Team-BHP can beat official HD service to the solution. That would be a proper blow to their premium service claims.

PS: If Seven Islands HD is not even entertaining Rohit's request for a replacement after recurring problems, he should seriously consider hauling them to a consumer forum. I'm attaching a document with basic information on how and when to do this, if GTO can pass on the information to Rohit.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CONSUMER PROTECTION .doc (32.0 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by Silverflash : 19th November 2014 at 12:54. Reason: Added consumer protection document

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks