Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:27   #46
r.K
BHPian

re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

All you Daytona owners - are you still hanging on to your rides or have sold/upgraded them?
Old 10th March 2021, 11:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

The Ninja Z1000SX is a personal favorite. Just the right bike between say an adv and and supersports. Does best of both worlds. Here's a nice one on our classifieds:

Delhi Ninja

The cheapest adventure / tourer money can buy has to be the Versys 650. Nice example on the block:

Versys
moralfibre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 10:20   #48
Team-BHP Support

Very recently a bhpian and I went on hunting to find used Triumph Tigers for sale. We were looking at the road versions so the choice was limited to pick between an XR and XRX. However, despite ringing all bells and chasing all biking groups, the number of bikes we came across was a net zero! I am surprised people are holding on to their bikes for this long. Makes the Tiger a sticky favorite with owners I presume.

Here's a nice one that is on the block in Pune. Shame that it did not come in a few weeks ago when we settled for a VStrom 650:

Triumph Tiger For Sale - Pune
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 12:23   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Very recently a bhpian and I went on hunting to find used Triumph Tigers for sale. We were looking at the road versions so the choice was limited to pick between an XR and XRX. However, despite ringing all bells and chasing all biking groups, the number of bikes we came across was a net zero! I am surprised people are holding on to their bikes for this long. Makes the Tiger a sticky favorite with owners I presume.

Here's a nice one that is on the block in Pune. Shame that it did not come in a few weeks ago when we settled for a VStrom 650:

Triumph Tiger For Sale - Pune
Where did you hunt if I may ask. I have actually seen a reasonably regular flow of options come on my adventure riding groups.

You should also track a page called motomartindia on Insta run by some passionate motorcyclists themselves. They usually have some options available and usually its through known channels then.

Having said that, personally I do see a lot of sense in holding on to my own tiger. I am not sure I have the purchase price or upkeep cost appetite for a GS given a motorcycle is really just a weekend toy really. And there are some aspects of the 800 engine that I actually prefer over the 900.

Given how most Tigers are really built like tanks and can easily cross a 100k clicks I only see myself selling it for want of something else and not need.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 12:38   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Where did you hunt if I may ask. I have actually seen a reasonably regular flow of options come on my adventure riding groups.
Usually via friends and family channels. Official brand whatsapp groups, etc. Came across maybe one or two stray examples.

Quote:
You should also track a page called motomartindia on Insta run by some passionate motorcyclists themselves. They usually have some options available and usually its through known channels then.
Totally. In fact discussing on a tank bag they've advertised for sale ;-)
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 14:46   #51
BHPian

I bought an HD Sportster because I guess I am of the breed that buys big bikes because:

1. We can afford it
2. Access to easy superbike loans
3. Going through a mid-life crisis
4. An illusion of passion for bikes without realizing that it's just an infatuation

We finally realize that most of the biking groups comprised of riders much younger than you and may sometimes not be able to connect. Not being able to connect with the riding group means the best part of weekend rides is taken away. Because of #3 above, refuse to join older biker' groups.

Our breed finally decides that riding is not for them and gives up and puts up the bike for sale. These are the bike specimens that need to be picked up as they are of low mileage, prompt maintenance, good accessories (because of #1 above).

After a few months of weekend rides, decided that this was not for me. I am not someone that enjoys being solo, so solo rides were also ruled out.

Finally, I decided to sell my "passion". When posted the bike on platforms like Olx, I mostly got responses from people who were either not serious about buying and looking for a free ride on an HD in the guise of a test drive or looking for a cheap deal. This is the reason there are postscripts on ads like "Only serious buyers", "Don't waste my time, etc."
Again, because of #1 above, I was not ready to give away the bike at a lower than the market rate and prepared to let it depreciate further. I am yet to come across a buyer who wanted a bike because he is passionate about riding.

I now use the bike to ride to my office sometimes in the crazy Bangalore traffic and get my legs and thighs fried by the time I reach the office instead of the comfort of my airconditioned luxury German sedan.

I guess the bike goes into my will for my son.
patron is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 19:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
We finally realize that most of the biking groups comprised of riders much younger than you and may sometimes not be able to connect. Not being able to connect with the riding group means the best part of weekend rides is taken away.
I can somewhat relate to that. I wanted to buy a Superbike for years but not earning enough money kinda made that task very difficult. Fast forward to now I am nearly 40 and I bought a Z650 with dreams of joining other riders on group breakfast rides.

My first ride with the local kawasaki group kinda became my last ride with them. I would ride around 100-120 on the 6 lane highway and they would ride at 200+. By the time I would reach the breakfast point the rest of the group would be almost done and ready to leave. I decided there is no way I would be comfortable riding at their speeds and that such group rides would be pointless.

Fast forward again and a friend invited me to a ride with Jawa owners. Here it was the reverse. They were riding too slow for my taste and after a few 100 kms of matching their pace I got fed up and opened the throttle and left them far behind.

So with the lack of like minded people to ride with I end up doing solo rides where I can ride at my own pace depending on my mood but I don't go too far because riding alone can get boring!

Another issue is that with age my capacity to handle long distances have reduced quite a bit. I have gone on a 3000 km round trip on my 150cc bike no problem when I was younger. Now I ride 350 km and my back hurts, my shoulders hurt and even my feet hurt!

Thankfully I do love riding even if it's for a short stint. Just need an empty road and a tank full of petrol and that's all it takes to put a big smile on my face. But its definitely not everyone's cup of tea and I don't know if in hindsight I would have bought my bike knowing how much I would be riding it.
bf1983 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 00:38   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

What I decided to do one fine day was quit all riding groups. I am now part of one single riding group and we are all pretty much same age group, round about 40 with a few exceptions on both sides. We only add people who are close to our age group, and majority of us have same riding styles, no matter what bike we own, which are Varied. No show offs, no super fast riding, and everyone pretty much reach destination at the same time, it's so relaxed.

In addition to this I have two close friends and this is where majority of my rides happen, meet up, switch on Sena have a great ride and catch up on life on the way, it's what makes me look forward to those rides. So best solution is don't give up on bikes, just twist your choices a bit about who you want to ride with, and all will fall in place.
AtheK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
What I decided to do one fine day was quit all riding groups. I am now part of one single riding group and we are all pretty much same age group, round about 40 with a few exceptions on both sides. We only add people who are close to our age group, and majority of us have same riding styles, no matter what bike we own, which are Varied. No show offs, no super fast riding, and everyone pretty much reach destination at the same time, it's so relaxed.

In addition to this I have two close friends and this is where majority of my rides happen, meet up, switch on Sena have a great ride and catch up on life on the way, it's what makes me look forward to those rides. So best solution is don't give up on bikes, just twist your choices a bit about who you want to ride with, and all will fall in place.
This sounds exactly, what I have yearning for!

After going through multiple posts, ads over OLX / FB etc, gave up my plan for a 2nd hand. Then one fine Sunday, after a good lunch at a nearby restaurant, we were driving by the Royal Enfield showroom, and wifey said why don't you check this out (pointing at Meteor)! Now, I already have a Thunderbird (celebrated its 12th birthday recently), I was prompt to say its just 350cc, there's hardly any element of change. Having nothing better to do, walked into the showroom and in about 10mins, I was riding an Interceptor 650. A ride of about 5-6kms and I was sold. The pull it had was amazing and the looks part (i always liked it - absolute classic). So, finally on 16th Feb, brought home a brand new Ravishing Red Interceptor 650.

Now once the bike was home, I was itching for weekend rides. So the first Sunday, I was at Hoskote at about 5.30am, breaking in my engine. Doing about 80kph, and then i see groups of bikes zipping cross.

Off late, with 500kms done, it smoothly goes over 3k rpm and happily cruises at around 100kph with the engine about 3.6k rpm in 6th gear. The feeling is a bliss!

Will DM you separately and I would be happy to tag along for rides, if feasible!
Thumping Soul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:38   #55
BHPian

Because this is a used superbikes thread, I might as well post here!

This thread started out just around the time I was looking out for a 'new' old bike. A brief background would be necessary here I guess.

I started riding bikes 'late' into my 20s. The Ninja 300 was my first bike ever and in my head, probably my last bike. The bike had enough go and show and honestly, that smooth high revi'n twin made me feel happy from the first moment I looked at her. I parted with her 6 years later (last year). She found a good house with a friend of mine. Reason for selling was mainly the brakes / ABS.

Why the brakes though? Well the answer is simple. And for that simple answer, we must go back a bit in time.

Getting the 300 introduced me to a lot of passionate bikers. These bikers loved bikes (duh!). I once found myself in a Triumph showroom with them. Test rode the tripple. Test rode the Daytona. Both were reasonable unmemorable for me. But then, we went to the perhaps the game changer. Ducati.

DUCATI!! I've been obsessed with their bikes ever since I went to the showroom. One quick test ride of the panigale 899 was enough to convince me that I could never get it. Hard clutch. But Ducati, you cant escape it. It's not something that you can forget. Two years later, I took delivery of the Scrambler Icon. Took it to Ladakh. Made a lot of Ducatisti friends. Took the Bike to Delhi where I have set up base the last two years. Life was good.

But I couldn't take the Ninja on long rides in Mumbai anymore. The brakes, after using the scrambler regularly, felt wooden. The lack of ABS made me worry. So the Ninja found a new home. And I was happy. Sort of . Needed a bike. I looked for a lot of bikes, almost got a street tripple. But I knew what I wanted. Ducati. But the amount of riding I do has gone down exponentially. Didn't have the heart to spend a bike load of money on her. So, decided to go pre-owned.

I've just landed myself a 2017 Ducati Supersport S. Oh she's gorgeous! Didn't sell much, but she's the one I wanted. And now I have her. In red. It took almost 4 months of searching High and Low. But she's here now.

FYI, Ducati is love.
redeff is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:35   #56
Team-BHP Support

A beautiful Tiger is on the block from none other than our mod - Jaggu:

Link .

Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India-tiger.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 14:12   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A beautiful Tiger is on the block from none other than our mod - Jaggu:

Link .

Attachment 2136761
I didn't realize when the new owner mentioned I saw your ad in TeamBHP and it was at the right time. Thank you #immoralmybrother

The bike has been sold to a TeamBHPian and at the expected price. Would be pulling the ad out.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th March 2021 at 14:14.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:17   #58
BHPian

Excellent thread guys!!

I've been trying to sell my Ducati 848 EVO from quiet sometime and honestly never found the right buyer. Everyone either is a dealer, enthusiast with no interest in actually buying or a low baller! And now a new trend of "Dudes" has come up - influencers!!

As a seller for a used bike there are quiet a few problems one might face.
1. You can never be too sure who is coming up to check out the bike.
2. People want to "Test-Ride" it - which makes me immensely uncomfortable as I am not sure about the riding skills of the guy who has come to check out the bike.
3. Then there is another issue of "full cash" buyers. People don't seem to understand that if I am the first owner - I have paid for the bike with a cheque which reflects in my accounts. How would I as a seller adjust the cash is something which very few people understand?
4. People want all the details over WhatsApp. No problem in sharing the details but I've been offered my own bike from some dealer sometime bike. Needless to say the price was up by about a couple of lacs. And the dealer claimed that he has the bike parked with him. Ever since then I stopped sharing the pictures of the bike or full registration details with people on WhatsApp.
5. My earlier bike - a Honda CBR600RR was an import by a person who shifted his base back to India. He had paid all the relevant duties and also had the bill of entry which he shared. Unwittingly I had shared the bill of entry with someone only to find out later - people were selling their grey market bikes with that bill of entry!!

I completely understand that everyone wants a great deal while buying a used vehicle - but people also need to understand there is a lot of money involved in the upkeep of these bikes, especially the italians. I strongly second the expert suggestions here that one should always go and check out the bike in person and preferably with someone who understands these bikes better than you. But until then please refrain from commenting on the expected price. No two bikes are usually the same - the condition, the way they've been ridden, etc. everything decides the price. While one can get a ball park figure of the prevailing market rate for any vehicle, I urge everyone to first go and see the bike and then consider giving an offer.

Just in case anyone is interested in an immaculately maintained 848 EVO, do look up my bike in the classifieds - I have republished the advt. and should be approved by moderators anytime now.
samyakmodi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

I've been trying to sell my Ducati 848 EVO from quiet sometime and honestly never found the right buyer. Everyone either is a dealer, enthusiast with no interest in actually buying or a low baller!
Good luck with flipping your 848 Evo.

Superb post and all so true. The low ballers are really annoying and the last thing you want to do is give any of these jokers a test ride. And so called influencers are quite a pack of clowns too very often.

When my friend and I went to buy a used Tiger for him, we actually paid the exact price the seller asked for. If you ask me, it could perhaps be negotiated within a 15-20k range of being fair price. But he quoted a bang on fair price and we just didn’t feel it would be right to negotiate him down for 15-20k. What mattered to us was that he was a guy we could trust, known through multiple points of common contacts. Papers had to be transferred with full lockdown in play so we valued that we were dealing with a counterparty who could be trusted to do the needful even after full payment and bike ownership had changed hands. And he also knew from hearing of me / us that we would not try any funny business and would genuinely transfer the bike on to our name (a concern any prudent seller also has).

Hope we find similar buyers whenever we are in the market to sell our respective steeds.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:17   #60
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good luck Samyakmodi, I agree with your views. Once your ad is live on Olx, people start hounding you with ridiculous offers. The best option is to ignore such people. I normally do that. I do not encourage long discussion on these platforms - So what I do is I make sure the ad has all the details available so no one has to ask me anything. I alow posta link to my Team-BHP thread if anyone wants to take an effort in reading it.

Please be very careful when you are offering aanyone a test ride. You never know the person test riding could bea deader or a You Tuber just taking it for a ride and a quick shoot. Dealers may then post your bike pics in their ads.

Fortunately both my bikes ( Z 800 and V650 ) got sold thanks to a close knit Team BHP community so I had no problems.

You could try posting a few pics on this thread too - I an sur a lot more members are bound to see the post here than in the classifieds

All the best and hope your 848 finds a good home.

Axe77 - I had a Similar experience when I bought my used Tiger in 2019. The price quoted was exactly as per my expectation and budget and I had no reason to bargain. However I did bargain a bit only when I had to finalise the deal since I did not get the expected price for my V650. But it was an amazing experience overall.

Trust is the only factor you need to pay need to.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks