Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 07:59   #61
BHPian

re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Excellent thread guys!!

I've been trying to sell my Ducati 848 EVO from quiet sometime and honestly never found the right buyer. Everyone either is a dealer, enthusiast with no interest in actually buying or a low baller! And now a new trend of "Dudes" has come up - influencers!!

As a seller for a used bike there are quiet a few problems one might face.
1. You can never be too sure who is coming up to check out the bike.
2. People want to "Test-Ride" it - which makes me immensely uncomfortable as I am not sure about the riding skills of the guy who has come to check out the bike.
3. Then there is another issue of "full cash" buyers. People don't seem to understand that if I am the first owner - I have paid for the bike with a cheque which reflects in my accounts. How would I as a seller adjust the cash is something which very few people understand?
4. People want all the details over WhatsApp. No problem in sharing the details but I've been offered my own bike from some dealer sometime bike. Needless to say the price was up by about a couple of lacs. And the dealer claimed that he has the bike parked with him. Ever since then I stopped sharing the pictures of the bike or full registration details with people on WhatsApp.
5. My earlier bike - a Honda CBR600RR was an import by a person who shifted his base back to India. He had paid all the relevant duties and also had the bill of entry which he shared. Unwittingly I had shared the bill of entry with someone only to find out later - people were selling their grey market bikes with that bill of entry!!

I completely understand that everyone wants a great deal while buying a used vehicle - but people also need to understand there is a lot of money involved in the upkeep of these bikes, especially the italians. I strongly second the expert suggestions here that one should always go and check out the bike in person and preferably with someone who understands these bikes better than you. But until then please refrain from commenting on the expected price. No two bikes are usually the same - the condition, the way they've been ridden, etc. everything decides the price. While one can get a ball park figure of the prevailing market rate for any vehicle, I urge everyone to first go and see the bike and then consider giving an offer.

Just in case anyone is interested in an immaculately maintained 848 EVO, do look up my bike in the classifieds - I have republished the advt. and should be approved by moderators anytime now.

Hello Samyak,

Glad to hear about your ad for the 848 evo. Out of curiosity, is your Ducati 848 evo the Arctic White one and 2011 - 2012 year?

I have been on the look out for buying a 848 and wanted to share something that you may find strange or funny. I approached some of my contacts in Delhi NCR region asking if anyone has a Ducati 848 for sale.

Several used bike dealers and "influencers" told me about a "seller" based in Delhi who is looking to sell a white Ducati 848. Pics of the Ducati were sent to me through Whatsapp, but whenever I asked for details or wanted to know who the seller was, I was told to deal with the dealer or the influencer as the middle man.

The dealers / influencers claim that they are representing the end seller as the bike is in Indore and will be shipped from Indore on payment.

The pics being distributed are only of the side profile of the motorbike - no pics of the license plate or the dashboard.

Obviously these are scams and I did not follow through, but wanted to let you know that some unscrupulous individuals are probably using your bike pictures and passing themselves off as the seller.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:14   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Hello Samyak,

Glad to hear about your ad for the 848 evo....... off as the seller.
Hi

Yes my bike is a 2012 model 848evo, which was the last 848 Evo sold in the country while precision motors was still Ducati's partner.

Just to clarify - I have no representative anywhere who is handling selling my bike. Yes I'm in indore and I'm not aware of how many people are actually "helping me" sell my bike.

This is a very good example of what happens when anyone uploads their bike on olx or any such platform. Before you know it - the entire world claims rights on your steed and simply diminish the value of the vehicle, while keeping their margins the same.
Another reason why I don't share pictures of the number plate and odometer on whatsapp to people I do not know. There are few people who are interested in the number of the bike more than the bike itself - to them I share the 4 digits while mentioning it is indore registered.
I am the first owner and to the best of my knowledge my bike is the only one which is still with the first owner and not changed hands.

On a different note - not entirely sure whether I should put up pictures of my bike here considering it would be available on the classifieds section.

Thank you so much brothers for being understanding and supportive while I showcase the other side of the coin.
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:20   #63
Team-BHP Support

Reading all this really makes me think. When uploading pics for sale perhaps one should watermark across them with some text like "only owner authorised to sell" or anything similar. Also worth it to blur out number plate and only show that to serious buyers who visit in person. If its a dealer he should not be allowed to take pictures at all. Chances are anyway they will not come to see in person if indulging in such practices.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:43   #64
BHPian

Samyak,

Thanks for the clarification. Its good to know the details and the background. There is another white Ducati 848 Evo here in NCR with a RJ license plate, but it was recently re-painted and not in the best condition. I initially thought that was the bike being peddled by the scammers but later found out that it was a different one (yours).

I don't see your ad here in the classified section yet, but will look out for it.
Old 6th April 2021, 17:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Reading all this really makes me think. When uploading pics for sale perhaps one should watermark across them with some text like "only owner authorised to sell" or anything similar. Also worth it to blur out number plate and only show that to serious buyers who visit in person. If its a dealer he should not be allowed to take pictures at all. Chances are anyway they will not come to see in person if indulging in such practices.
That usually never deters the scamsters. The detailed advt. on OLX also doesn't warrant people asking ridiculous questions about the bike.
We as a community are a bit different than the people we generally come across usually.

Quote:
Samyak,

Thanks for the clarification. Its good to know the details and the background. There is another white Ducati 848 Evo here in NCR with a RJ license plate, but it was recently re-painted and not in the best condition. I initially thought that was the bike being peddled by the scammers but later found out that it was a different one (yours).

I don't see your ad here in the classified section yet, but will look out for it.
The advt. has been uploaded it seems. Here is the link : https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...cati/848.html/

As far as I know there were only 3 848 Evo in arctic white sold in India during those times. One was with a Bollywood star - which eventually got sold at throw away price, another one was in Jaipur and mine was the third one.
I did come across a couple of white 848s which tried passing off as Evo - and infact one of them did get sold off to some unsuspecting buyer (the bike was resurrected from a bad crash and then sold off with evo claddings)

you seem to have quiet an interesting bike collection in your garage. The 1198 SP was earlier owned by a dear friend (I am assuming it's the same one as his was the only one in the country if my memory serves me right)

Last edited by samyakmodi : 6th April 2021 at 17:58.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been trying to sell my Ducati 848 EVO from quiet sometime and honestly never found the right buyer
My post may not be particularly helpful for a seller, but sharing some thoughts from a buyers POV, especially the probability of buying an used SBK (or any automobile in this country)
  • First thing is, the specific model should be available
  • The bike should be registered in the same state as buyer
  • Papers have to be clean
  • The vehicle has to stand for what it's being sold (and there're many subpoints here from history to known circle to...)
  • The buyer has to be convinced that there will be no immediate expense
  • Finally, the buyer has to like that specific vehicle
  • Then comes the price & bargain

Let's keep the question whether the buyer has to source or loan from the bank away from the above possibility. I guess this is nearly (or slightly better) the same plight even for a dealer as well.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:

As far as I know there were only 3 848 Evo in arctic white sold in India during those times. One was with a Bollywood star - which eventually got sold at throw away price, another one was in Jaipur and mine was the third one.
I did come across a couple of white 848s which tried passing off as Evo - and infact one of them did get sold off to some unsuspecting buyer (the bike was resurrected from a bad crash and then sold off with evo claddings)

you seem to have quiet an interesting bike collection in your garage. The 1198 SP was earlier owned by a dear friend (I am assuming it's the same one as his was the only one in the country if my memory serves me right)

Awesome!! I was not aware of this history of the Arctic White 848 Evo in India.

I have seen the Jaipur registered one, it comes for servicing at the Naraina DelhiDucati. This one is for sale also, mileage around 26k, from what I remember and underwent a full servicing recently and a re-paint.

The Bollywood 848 is languishing in Kolkata in someone's garage. I had gone to Kolkata over Holi and inspected the bike. Its truly in sad and heart wrenching shape. However the owner quoted a ridiculous sum and I was not interested. Attached a pic to show the current condition.

There are a few red 848 evos and a few matt black ones here in NCR and in the South.

Yes, the 1198SP is the only one in India. I came upon it very randomly at a used bike shop at Gurgaon. I know the previous owner by name and I heard about his collection including the Bayliss 1098R and the 1198SP. I was very surprised to see the 1198SP on sale. I heard he even sold the 1098R.

I enjoy riding the 1198SP but its a bike that demands the most out of the rider. I rode the 848 when I lived in the US and I found it to be more fun and easy to handle.

BTW sorry to come back to your previous reply, but some of the influencers who approached me to sell your 848 told me that you worked and lived in Delhi and moved back to Indore during the lockdown to be with family. Hence the bike was in Indore and you had put the bike up for "park and sale" with them.

The lengths that scammers go to make up stuff. The pictures you posted on the classified - I got the 2 or 3 of them which are the exact same.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India-img20210326wa0016.jpg  

Last edited by no_fear : 6th April 2021 at 21:15.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the 1198SP is the only one in India. I came upon it very randomly at a used bike shop at Gurgaon. I know the previous owner by name and I heard about his collection including the Bayliss 1098R and the 1198SP. I was very surprised to see the 1198SP on sale. I heard he even sold the 1098R.

I enjoy riding the 1198SP but its a bike that demands the most out of the rider. I rode the 848 when I lived in the US and I found it to be more fun and easy to handle.
I think I know this 1198SP. Was the previous owner in Chandigarh? If yes, I have ridden this bike.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I think I know this 1198SP. Was the previous owner in Chandigarh? If yes, I have ridden this bike.
Hi bigron. I am not sure if it's Chandigarh or Ludhiana. The previous owner is currently at Delhi but the 1198SP is a Punjab registered bike. I think some of the members on this forum and on xbhp have rode this bike. Just joking but I think more strangers and forum members rode the bike than the previous owner.
Old 6th April 2021, 21:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

This is the same bike. The previous owner is part of the same riding group. I know him personally. I took this for a spin on one of our weekend rides many moons ago.

He kept the bike very briefly. He did also have the MV Augusta F4 and the Aprillia Factory.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 01:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome!! I was not aware of this history of the Arctic White 848 Evo in India.

I have seen the Jaipur registered one, it comes for servicing at the Naraina DelhiDucati. This one is for sale also, mileage around 26k, from what I remember and underwent a full servicing recently and a re-paint.

The Bollywood 848 is languishing in Kolkata in someone's garage. I had gone to Kolkata over Holi and inspected the bike. Its truly in sad and heart wrenching shape. However the owner quoted a ridiculous sum and I was not interested. Attached a pic to show the current condition.

There are a few red 848 evos and a few matt black ones here in NCR and in the South.

BTW sorry to come back to your previous reply, but some of the influencers who approached me to sell your 848 told me that you worked and lived in Delhi and moved back to Indore during the lockdown to be with family. Hence the bike was in Indore and you had put the bike up for "park and sale" with them.

The lengths that scammers go to make up stuff. The pictures you posted on the classified - I got the 2 or 3 of them which are the exact same.
Most of the red 848 evos were quite badly used and changed quite a few hands. One in indore had crashed and refurbished by the second owner. If not wrong there were only a couple of dark editions that came to India, and quite a few people repainted their red bikes to matte black.

The ex owner for the sp had the Bayliss - not sure whether he sold it or not. Will check with him soon. 1198 is quite a handful itself - I can just imagine what the SP would be like.

As per the dealers and influences are concerned I might even be residing on Mars - and to be honest I never stayed in Delhi and indore has always been my base. The pictures that you see are of my residence

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th April 2021 at 06:25. Reason: quite > quite.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:
This is the same bike. The previous owner is part of the same riding group. I know him personally. I took this for a spin on one of our weekend rides many moons ago.

He kept the bike very briefly. He did also have the MV Augusta F4 and the Aprillia Factory.
Very small world indeed!! Happy to hear that you got to ride the bike. I know he had a Ducati 999S, the MV F4 and the Aprilia. Not sure what happened to the bikes. I don't think the owner comes out riding anymore. I guess the Mrs keeps him under lock and key.

Quote:
Most of the red 848 evos were quite badly used and changed quite a few hands. One in indore had crashed and refurbished by the second owner. If not wrong there were only a couple of dark editions that came to India, and quite a few people repainted their red bikes to matte black.
Yes, I have heard the same and seen the condition of the few 848s that are here. Saw a matt black 848 a few months ago but it was clearly repainted. Getting the service history and ownership records of these bikes is a tough job. Most are non existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My post may not be particularly helpful for a seller, but sharing some thoughts from a buyers POV, especially the probability of buying an used SBK (or any automobile in this country)
  • First thing is, the specific model should be available
  • The bike should be registered in the same state as buyer
  • Papers have to be clean
  • The vehicle has to stand for what it's being sold (and there're many subpoints here from history to known circle to...)
  • The buyer has to be convinced that there will be no immediate expense
  • Finally, the buyer has to like that specific vehicle
  • Then comes the price & bargain

Let's keep the question whether the buyer has to source or loan from the bank away from the above possibility. I guess this is nearly (or slightly better) the same plight even for a dealer as well.
Aargee, very good points. If you may, I would like to share my views on some of your points.

[*]First thing is, the specific model should be available - This one is tough, after BS4 / BS6 some of the bike models are no longer available in India. But should still make for good purchases if the bikes are taken care of.

[*]The bike should be registered in the same state as buyer - Is this a deal breaker? I do not mind buying out of state vehicles as long as the service records, owner history and all other information is available.

[*]The buyer has to be convinced that there will be no immediate expense - I whole heartedly agree with you.

Along with used bike dealers, influencers and scammers, there is now a new epidemic - wrapped bikes.

In the past 1 year I have come across several examples of wrapped bikes being passed off as limited editions or one of a kind. Each of the wrap bikes had either 1) accident history 2) engine trouble 3) fairing damage

One bike had its engine block / case cracked signifying major damage. The owner welded the engine block, put on wraps on the fairing and sold it. Only after the fairings were taken apart was the discovery made.

I have now made it a point to remove fairings of a wrap bike I inspect before I decide to buy anything. Best to be cautious. However if an owner objects, then I walk away.

Lesson I learned - if the bike has been wrapped, either it has an accident history or the owner is hiding something. I personally find wraps to be juvenile and detract from the look of the bike but I guess this is the new trend.

Last edited by no_fear : 7th April 2021 at 08:26.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very small world indeed!! Happy to hear that you got to ride the bike. I know he had a Ducati 999S, the MV F4 and the Aprilia. Not sure what happened to the bikes. I don't think the owner comes out riding anymore. I guess the Mrs keeps him under lock and key.
The owner has picked up a BMW R 1250 GSA Pro variant. But he still has a few other bikes lying around.
Old 7th April 2021, 09:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
The owner has picked up a BMW R 1250 GSA Pro variant. But he still has a few other bikes lying around.
Nice. Thanks for the info bigron. I guess owner is now with the ADV crowd. Do you know what other bikes he still has lying around and is he looking to sell any?
Old 7th April 2021, 10:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice. Thanks for the info bigron. I guess owner is now with the ADV crowd. Do you know what other bikes he still has lying around and is he looking to sell any?
Ironically everyone in my small riding group has migrated to the BMW GS. I think there are 8 now in a group of 12. Blame it on age, pouting bellies, creaky bones but an undying passion for riding. The Busas, ZZR1400s and the R1's were getting too extreme. So you do what you got to do too keep on riding.

I will ask him when I see him next if he has anything he is looking to sell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks