Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 13:08   #3661
BHPian

Mkh,

Well, i am blown by the way you guys have made your cars so Gorgeous!!

If i was you, i wouldn't have taken the car out for few days.

what are you doing about the engine bay? I remember seeing someone's posting here about the engine bay treatment. I was blown seeing it. It was so clean.

About Swirls

I was just wondering if this exercise will have any effect on the paint surface, i mean, will all these reduce the thickness of the paint done by the factory.

This doubt is because : If any scratch has to dissappear, you need to scrap the scratch that much deep reducing the paint surface thickness.

Would you educate me on this. Is this thinking right or wrong ?

Waxing is fine, since we are only going to add an additional layer to the paint surface.

What do you have to say ?
Old 19th October 2010, 14:35   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
We have to park our cars under the sweltering Chennai sun in our office campus
I can only imagine the torture the paint job must be going through on a daily basis. Does waxing the car help protect the paint from the sun?
well in largish qtys wax is sticky, what you do in waxing is you apply a micro layer of wax which adheres to the paint surface thereby creating a protective coat, since wax is reapplied every few months- it any damage/disintegration happens to the wax coat then the painted surface.
Old 19th October 2010, 18:34   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, Where did you get Megs or Flex polisher. If its brought in US it must be almost 1000 watts and with 110v converter will cost a lot, and if converter is not good, it might destroy the polisher. I was thinking of getting these polishers from US when my sister comes next month, but worried about that 110V. Are these available in india with 230V support? Please let me know where you got these and what kind of converter you are using ?

Last edited by shamanth : 19th October 2010 at 18:35.
Old 19th October 2010, 19:09   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Flex sells a 230V international version in the US - FLEX XC 3401 VRG 230 Volt Orbital Polisher, international model FLEX XC3401 Buffer
(loads of kits to choose from at the bottom of the page!)

Also the Megs unit that Notorious got is G220(220v)

Congrats notorious!

Hope you don't mind telling me the source!

--------------------------------------
OT- Any idea why he was banned?
--------------------------------------

btw got me a swirl finder light!

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th October 2010 at 19:12.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:47   #3665
BHPian

Notorious - Congrats !!! Lovely packing the DA comes in ! Please can you share with us the prices ? Did you get it from the UK ? What make of pads are those ?
Looking forward to pics before & after post your treatment !
Btw, i contacted Gamutauto about the Eagle one chrome wadding polish which they have on their website. Its out of stock & expected only after 45 days.

MKH
- We will run another few passes on the panels to get a show car finish ! A few trials will make the entire finish swirl free, considering that only 205 has been tried till now.

Guys, the shimmering effect on MKH's ride in the sunlight was amazing once he applied a layer of Blackfire ! its something which we need a professional photographer to capture ! The metallic flakes were popping out & these photos cant really convey the effect in bright sunlight !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post

About Swirls

I was just wondering if this exercise will have any effect on the paint surface, i mean, will all these reduce the thickness of the paint done by the factory.

This doubt is because : If any scratch has to dissappear, you need to scrap the scratch that much deep reducing the paint surface thickness.

Would you educate me on this. Is this thinking right or wrong ?

Waxing is fine, since we are only going to add an additional layer to the paint surface.

What do you have to say ?
Nandan- you're right, complete removal of deeper scratches would involve polishing down to a considerable extent. That's why professional detailers asses the surface with a paint thickness gauge first to understand how much paint thickness they have to play around with. Below a certain level its not advisable.
its quite common to see cars buffed down to their base coat around us by hack detailers !!

Sealants & waxes do a good job of filling in the smaller scratches & unless one is looking for a show car perfect finish, its advisable to hide the few scratches !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Hey guys, Where did you get Megs or Flex polisher. If its brought in US it must be almost 1000 watts and with 110v converter will cost a lot, and if converter is not good, it might destroy the polisher. I was thinking of getting these polishers from US when my sister comes next month, but worried about that 110V. Are these available in india with 230V support? Please let me know where you got these and what kind of converter you are using ?
Shamanth - have sent you a PM with the prices i paid ! In the link posted by Sohail you will get the options of various 230V flex combo kits. You can order them online & have them delivered to your sister;s address in the US.
If you become a member of the Autogeek forum you will get free shipping on orders above 500 USD too ! The Flex is the only 230 V option available.

Do get yourself a clay kit & some good sealant & waxes too (if you don't already have)

Black Asta - Any updates about your kit ?

Sohail - Pics of the swirl finder light and prices of the Megs items you picked up from Dubai please ! I got a Daytona speed master brush & used it the last weekend to clean the wheels. The inventor deserves an award, awesome product, am also getting a Sonax wheel cleaner from Gamutauto for the alloy cleaning of the Beemer wheels, the brake dust is driving me mad !!

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 19th October 2010 at 21:57.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:59   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Black Asta - Any updates about your kit ?

well I am sitting pretty in US, without a clue about when I get to return to India (which is not happenning before Jan 2011 end anyway) - so no buying for me at this moment. But I have planned for the flex 230V and the menzerna kit (suggested by sid a.k.a garipagol), alongwith california duster.
Till I return - its bye bye detailing, and welcome weekend rentals! (Going to start a thread on the rentals soon)
Old 19th October 2010, 22:51   #3667
Senior - BHPian

^Lol! Thats even better!!
you can train yourself on those rentals and then come home and detail your car to perfection without a learning curve!

----------------------------------------------------

@Nirmal
Anyways here is the swirl finder I got!

Its the 'Marine' version available at amazon(a lil' cheaper than the black/silver over at autogeek.net! Everything else is the same!)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0008.jpg

Caught some swirls on some household stuff!!(Damn! piano black finished pick swirls like crazy! lol!)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0009.jpg

Here's a lil' something something I got for my refinishing project.
Its like a wool pad for a DA polisher but finishes better. (Main purpose is to remove lower grit sanding marks after sanding the repainted panel and finishing to a near high gloss)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0011.jpg

Here's the stuff I got from Dubai
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0374edi.jpg

Its like super expensive there!!! (I could've gotten double the stuff had I ordered it via autogeek!!)

Here's the Megs counter at the Ace hardware store!! I had never in my life seen megs, TW and other detailing stuff stacked like that so I took a pic!

ppl around were thinking I'm crazy! lol
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0362edi.jpg

Hope to see such megs stacked aisles in India soon!

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th October 2010 at 22:53.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:22   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Here's the stuff I got from Dubai
Attachment 441104

Its like super expensive there!!! (I could've gotten double the stuff had I ordered it via autogeek!!)

Megs counter at the Ace hardware store!!
ppl around were thinking I'm crazy! lol
Attachment 441105

Hope to see such megs stacked aisles in India soon!
@Notorious : The DA comes in a really nice box for storage away from DIRT and GRIME.

Please do share with us the source. I will wait for your feedback and before and after pics before deciding whether it is a Flex or Meguiars

@ Sohail : I would say we are one car crazy bunch of folks. I would have done the same thing too.

Tell us more on what else did you buy from Dubai to make your beautiful ride better looking (if at all it is possible)

I also seriously hope the Meguiar folks address our needs

Regards

Sateesh
Old 20th October 2010, 10:15   #3669
Nos007

Some Answers on behalf of notorious

@Sohail , Thanx bhai it that consignment was carried for me by my grandfather from uk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Notorious - Congrats !!! Lovely packing the DA comes in ! Please can you share with us the prices ? Did you get it from the UK ? What make of pads are those ?
Looking forward to pics before & after post your treatment !
Btw, i contacted Gamutauto about the Eagle one chrome wadding polish which they have on their website. Its out of stock & expected only after 45 days.
Thank you sir , the price was 129 pounds for da. total comes at approx 270 pounds. Pads a re yellow polishing pads 7" from megs only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@Notorious : The DA comes in a really nice box for storage away from DIRT and GRIME.
Yup , but you will have to wait for results as i only have next week free.

waiting to do my cars asap

Old 20th October 2010, 10:48   #3670
Senior - BHPian

Did my first trial with Mothers Clay bar on my car and the results has been excellent. There were many embedded dirt and grime on my car which came off completely and now it feels completely smooth to touch. Did not get time to wax it. Have to work with Nxt 2.0 in this weekend.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:54   #3671
Nos007

^^ sir i think it would be good to clay and wax at same time !!!

@sohail ; whats the approx hike in % of the megs products in dubai compare to usa ???

Last edited by Nos007 : 20th October 2010 at 10:56.

Old 20th October 2010, 11:29   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos007 View Post
^^ sir i think it would be good to clay and wax at same time !!!

@sohail ; whats the approx hike in % of the megs products in dubai compare to usa ???
Dont think it is mandatory to wax immediately after claying. Of course waxing does help to protect the smooth finish. If I am using some abrasive compounds or polishes, then yes, waxing should be followed.

The best way to get Megs stuff is to order online through shopyourworld.com at Amazon. You will get good discounts as well. I ordered the entire Megs car care kit, Mothers clay bar kit, a big pack of MF clothes and other stuff from them. The total cost was less than Rs 5000.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:07   #3673
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Dont think it is mandatory to wax immediately after claying. Of course waxing does help to protect the smooth finish. If I am using some abrasive compounds or polishes, then yes, waxing should be followed.

The best way to get Megs stuff is to order online through shopyourworld.com at Amazon. You will get good discounts as well. I ordered the entire Megs car care kit, Mothers clay bar kit, a big pack of MF clothes and other stuff from them. The total cost was less than Rs 5000.
waxing after a gap will mean that bonding will not be that good as it will once u do it after claying, that is the reason why its suggested to do asap.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:08   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Btw, I need one clarification on the black plastic surfaces on my car. There is fairly large part of black plastic around the wiper assembly on the front of my car and they look pretty dull now. What is the best way to make it look dark and clean?
Old 20th October 2010, 12:18   #3675
Nos007

^^ Megs ultimate protectant/ stp sun of gun/waxpol dashboard polish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks