Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:08   #9721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I am using Collinite 845 and while it is good, it is nothing exceptional, say when compared to Wurth or Amway.

I did get one car wash from Maruti, will update if it is better than the Amway I use. Formula 1 products are average (purchased from Spencer) so will give them a miss.
Are you sure Amway sells wax? Amway has only 3 car care products, Amway Car Wash, Amway Silicon Glaze and Leather n Vinyl Cleaner. Which product you are comparing with Collinite 845?

Assuming you are comparing with Silicon Glaze, it is only more of a filler and I don't think it has any wax in it. At the max, it can act as filler and polisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post

KK, did you every try using the liquid that was left and had an adverse reaction on the paint of your car?

Thanks
Yes, I have tried at least two weeks old dilution and did not find any adverse effect. In fact I have used it quite a few times. But after I heard that it may cause problem, stopped using it. Though not sure of the claim that it causes problems.

KK

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd April 2016 at 07:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:01   #9722
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
When you use a product like Ultima waterless wash plus concentrate or any other rinseless wash or quick detailing concentrate which needs to be diluted in water, can the mixed solution that remains after you use it on the car be stored and reused later some time?

Example if i make a 500ml solution with the appropriate quantity of the concentrate mixed with water and use up say 400 ml.

Can the 100 ml that remains be stored and reused say after 3 weeks?
I have filled in diluted Optimum No Rinse (ONR) in a 500ml spray bottle of Colin. I use it when the car needs a quick clean.
It has been in the bottle for close to 45 days now, and I don't see any visible difference in the performance, colour or fragrance of the diluted solution.

If at all there is really a gradual deterioration in quality upon storage of diluted ONR, I'm actually willing to live with it, rather than diluting it before every use.

I too always spray the diluted ONR when cleaning the car, and stay away from the bucket method. Its not messy and is quicker to clean up with the spray method.
tibby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:05   #9723
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Noob question- How many times can you polish a car before the clear coat is completely striped off?
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:56   #9724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Noob question- How many times can you polish a car before the clear coat is completely striped off?
Sometimes I think that some of the most enthusiastic detailers are heading for an answer to that question, and that a bit of neglect would be better for their paintwork!

But really, unless people use heavy-weight cutting compounds and/or overdo machine polishing, I don't really think it is going to happen.

Remember your basic definitions: Polishing does not mean "make shiny." Polishing means abrasion (however fine) and the removal of material. It does not include waxing or the addition of other protective layers. It is just in loose talk that people include waxing in "polish."
Old 23rd April 2016, 07:37   #9725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Sorry, but I really didn't get this. Does Wurth or Amway got better wax than the Collinite 845? Can you share which ones and the availability in India?
Not comparing the products, but the results. I am using Collinite, almost 40% of bottle is used and I do not think the results are very different.

Collinite might be lasting longer and that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Assuming you are comparing with Silicon Glaze, it is only more of a filler and I don't think it has any wax in it. At the max, it can act as filler and polisher.
Old 24th April 2016, 10:30   #9726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
I use the proklear extreme. I do have slight leftovers, which i mix with fresh and use, since i make the mixture in the same bottle.
There is a difference in odour, but i havent seen it cause a problem as such.
Agree. I also use Proklear CX . I only waterless-wash the exteriors of my car and generally a 500ml bottle gives me two car washes. However I do discard the solution if unused after a week-ten days.

One quick question for those who use Proklear CX(the one with Carnuba wax). After cleaning the car if their are some water drip marks which I dont notice and let them stay for a few days, it becomes very difficult to remove them. No amount of cleaning or wiping with MF cloth helps. I need to rub the marks vigorously with fingers to remove the stains. Some marks on the fenders are not going even with this method. Any suggestions? I clean my car in the basement which does not have adequate lighting so sometimes I do miss the drips.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:06   #9727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
Agree. I also use Proklear CX . I only waterless-wash the exteriors of my car and generally a 500ml bottle gives me two car washes. However I do discard the solution if unused after a week-ten days.

One quick question for those who use Proklear CX(the one with Carnuba wax). After cleaning the car if their are some water drip marks which I dont notice and let them stay for a few days, it becomes very difficult to remove them. No amount of cleaning or wiping with MF cloth helps. I need to rub the marks vigorously with fingers to remove the stains. Some marks on the fenders are not going even with this method. Any suggestions? I clean my car in the basement which does not have adequate lighting so sometimes I do miss the drips.

Use the leftover waterless wash, it does generally come off. Otherwise you can try a quick detailer liquid.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 15:11   #9728
BHPian

We should have a thread that talks about deals on the products that show up in this thread. i.e bulk deals on microfibers, shampoos etc. Have a couple of cars and bikes and the amount of microfibers they eat up is quite high esp since we use separate ones for interiors, exteriors, drying etc.
maverhick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 20:42   #9729
DWC
BHPian

Can anyone here recommend to me a mechanical bufferer cum polisher that I can buy? What are the quality products available in the market? I've got an aunt visiting next month from London, could ask her to get me something from there as well if its not available here. Any leads? Would be great if someone who has used a polisher and bufferer could guide me in the right direction. TIA.
Old 29th April 2016, 22:20   #9730
BHPian

Guys, a quick question (or two):

I use proklear to do a waterless wash on my car. This is Proklear RAW, and does not contain wax. However, the instructions given are the same- spray on one panel, wipe with a microfiber cloth, and then buff with another one. Now, if I am going to wax my car, can I leave the buffing bit out? Say, once I am done with the initial wipe (to get rid of the dirt), I let the car be overnight, or for a couple of hours (my car is parked in basement).

For those who are using, or are familiar with Amway's leather and vinyl protector, I have a practically unused bottle from 2013. Do these things have an expiry date? Could not find anything on the bottle, and wanted to be sure before I use it on my car's leather seat.
Old 30th April 2016, 19:27   #9731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

I use proklear to do a waterless wash on my car. This is Proklear RAW, and does not contain wax. However, the instructions given are the same- spray on one panel, wipe with a microfiber cloth, and then buff with another one. Now, if I am going to wax my car, can I leave the buffing bit out? Say, once I am done with the initial wipe (to get rid of the dirt), I let the car be overnight, or for a couple of hours (my car is parked in basement).
I regularly use proklear RAW, and once a month wax the car after using the RAW. I have never buffed after wiping clean. If the RAW is not diluted enough, then it leaves a whitish layer on the paint. I dilute 2-3 ml of RAW in about 1 liter of water, and have never had the need to buff. Hope this helped you!
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 21:22   #9732
BHPian

Quote:

For those who are using, or are familiar with Amway's leather and vinyl protector, I have a practically unused bottle from 2013. Do these things have an expiry date? Could not find anything on the bottle, and wanted to be sure before I use it on my car's leather seat.
I use Proklear RAW with wax and feel there is no need to buff it after wiping it clean with a dry cloth. What i do is I spray, wipe with one side of the MF and again just wipe once again with a fresh face of MF. I don't buff it.

AFAIK there is no need of buffing in any waterless wash products.

WRT leather and vinyl cleaner and am using it for 2 years. Let me check my bottle once for any date.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 30th April 2016 at 21:38.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:09   #9733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
If the RAW is not diluted enough, then it leaves a whitish layer on the paint. I dilute 2-3 ml of RAW in about 1 liter of water, and have never had the need to buff.
The instructions on my bottle mention using 5ml of liquid with 500ml of water, which is what I have been doing. Have not noticed any whitish layer, perhaps as my car is silver colour. Perhaps I will dilute my proklear solution even further, from now on. Any special tricks to wipe the whitish layer? Or will be taken care of automatically next time I clean the car?

Quote:
WRT leather and vinyl cleaner and am using it for 2 years. Let me check my bottle once for any date.
Any updates on this?
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:45   #9734
BHPian

Quote:

Any updates on this?
I did check and there is no mention of expiry date. Only date mentioned is mfg date. I tried searching on Google also for any more info but in vain. You know even the Amway Car Wash I was using earlier had no expiry date. Should we assume there is none and use it forever?
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:04   #9735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should we assume there is none and use it forever?
Yes, of course!

Some stuff dries up, some stuff separates or otherwise physically changes.

Expiry dates, even on food stuffs, are often there only to cost us money. With only one or two exceptions, I apply the same rule to food as I would to car wash: if it looks good, smells good (food should taste good; not do car wash ) then it is good.

I have some Autoglym glass polish that I bought in UK almost ten years ago. There is nothing wrong with it. Or at least, the only thing "wrong" with it is that the whole technology of cleaning and protecting car glass has moved on by a geological age since then
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks