Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th September 2018, 11:33   #601
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A weird ignition problem in the 2 year old Wagon R with stock battery in the last couple of weeks:

Sequence 1:Gear lever at neutral, clutch depressed, key is turned and for a couple of seconds the battery sounds like it's weak so there's just that reluctance to start the engine and then it cranks and all is well.

Sequence 2:When I try a slightly different sequence (Gear lever at neutral, key is turned without depressing clutch) - the car starts normally with the first crank, this time the battery seems perfect and no reluctance or symptom of battery being weak.

I have tried these a few times in the last few days and the pattern is still there. After a successful start with sequence 1, I did not switch off the engine and immediately try sequence 2.
Sequence 2 was tried after a few minutes of driving and switching off the engine for a few minutes.

What could be wrong ?
Battery is slightly weak.

When you press the clutch, you are creating a slight load on the drive train
- with clutch left alone the engine drives the gear box, which in neutral will not connect further.
- with clutch depressed, there is slight slippage between the engine and gearbox which is a load, though small.

With a failing battery and a tight clutch (which does not dis engage fully) the starter motor will falter.

If you drive for a few minutes, the battery will get charged sufficiently to start, even with clutch depressed.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 16:04   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
- with clutch depressed, there is slight slippage between the engine and gearbox which is a load, though small.

On the contrary, engaging the clutch takes away the slippage load of gearbox and helps you crank better.
That is why it is advised to depress the clutch while cranking so there is minimal load on the starter/battery.
This is what I know - could be wrong.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 16:27   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A weird ignition problem in the 2 year old Wagon R with stock battery in the last couple of weeks:

Sequence 1:clutch depressed, the battery sounds like it's weak

Sequence 2:without depressing clutch) - the car starts normally with the first crank, this time the battery seems perfect

After a successful start with sequence 1, I did not switch off the engine and immediately try sequence 2.
Sequence 2 was tried after a few minutes of driving and switching off
With clutch depressed, load on the engine is less as the gear box N shaft is disconencted. It is just the engine with flywheel. That's all.

You are seeing a normal start up in seq 2 because that is after the engine is fired and run for a while.

Try seq2 under the same conditions as seq1 and you'll find the cranking as bad or maybe worse.

First thing in the morning, check battery idle voltage with a multi meter. Anything less than 12V and your battery is weak.

Last edited by vigsom : 10th September 2018 at 16:40. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 20:42   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sequence 1:Gear lever at neutral, clutch depressed, key is turned and for a couple of seconds the battery sounds like it's weak so there's just that reluctance to start the engine and then it cranks and all is well.

Sequence 2:When I try a slightly different sequence (Gear lever at neutral, key is turned without depressing clutch) - the car starts normally with the first crank, this time the battery seems perfect and no reluctance or symptom of battery being weak.

What could be wrong ?
Gearbox idling loading engine normally comes from cold environments where gear oil can become treacle like in consistency. Normally not so here.

Here, in your case the two additional thrust bearing loads are more than the gearbox load.

Anyway, this discussion is academic. Something is wrong with your starter system, most probably a battery on its way out.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote