Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 14:36   #226
BHPian

Re: Innova Brake Pads Replacement Suggestion: West Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehargags View Post
Thanks Samba, I was pretty sure Toyota uses Bosch as its an international OEM brand.

While I researched, the aftermarket dealers also "vouch" for RANE, they say all trucks/buses and commercial vehicles use RANE pads. But seriously, I've never heard of RANE ever.

Now the Second Challenge is to find a Genuine Dealer selling Genuine Bosch and other Toyota Parts, and not just Stamped (Thappu) ones.
Please do tell me where to buy them, and also a good reliable mechanic / Workshop to get it fitted.

Thanks.
Just beware of Bosch aftermarket brake pads. I had terrible 2 years with them on my Swift for the screeching sound they make, will make you feel like metal coming off your brake discs. Other than that, the cost is quite low & performance good enough.
Old 30th March 2015, 14:55   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

I changed Innova's brake pads for the second time at the time of 85k check up service. Roughly the average lifespan has worked out to be 42k kms for me. Which is about 10-15% more than my previous vehicle Tata Safari.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:32   #228
BHPian

32K and the front brake pads on my X1 are showing due for replacement in 600kms while the rears have another 8K kms left
Ordered the part (Pads and sensor) from a Delhi based store for 3200 + 1000 + shipping vs the 27K (part + labor) quoted by the ASC
Old 30th March 2015, 16:44   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
32K and the front brake pads on my X1 are showing due for replacement in 600kms while the rears have another 8K kms left
Ordered the part (Pads and sensor) from a Delhi based store for 3200 + 1000 + shipping vs the 27K (part + labor) quoted by the ASC
With a 8x price difference, I guess the pads are not OEM ?
Old 30th March 2015, 16:49   #230
BHPian

They are OEM - Textar to be precise which are quite well rated on all online stores
I believe there are 3/4 different OEM suppliers to BMW including Textar, Pagid and Jurid
(well, can only comment on the authenticity of the part once I receive it)
Also, its not really a 8x price difference - The 27K cost would include Brake oil change and labor which at the ASC inflated rates would be close to 8-10L
Third party workshop would be approx 2-3K

Last edited by abhi182 : 30th March 2015 at 16:51.
Old 30th March 2015, 17:24   #231

Guyz -- can anyone recommend which ones to buy ? -- Rane or Bosch.

Asethi... even the Mechanic said Bosch are not as good an RANE or TVS.
Checked some more Worskhops, they said TVS and Rane are both better than Bosch!

Anyone successfully using Rane or TVS Pads and Shoes on Toyota Vehicles ?
Old 17th April 2015, 23:56   #232
BHPian

BHPians,
I just went in for a check up for my Innova after the right side (both wheels) plunged into an open drain . After the mud washed off, the A. S. S. continued their regular check up and finds everything ok. Later the SA calls up to tell me that the break pads are at 2MM and needs replacement. The odo is at 32500 and I was taken aback to hear this, as the last regular service at 31200 recorded the break pads at 3.5MM. It was unbelievable that I became such an horrible driver after the last service, that I burnt out a full 1.5MM off the pads in 1000 odd run . Surprisingly, the rear break shoes are at consistent 4MM right from 25K service (Ref: Service logs). S. A. says that this would run another 2K (Obvious Q - then why change now? Ans: To save your disks)
Question: Should I be suspecting some scam as the pads and the discs appear much older than they went in? Can't confirm this as I wasn't ready for this, else would have kept a snap or made some identification marks. Is there any markings on these parts like a stamped manufacturing date by which we can verify? Any one experienced similar situation? Any suggestions?
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:43   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
After the mud washed off, the A. S. S. continued their regular check up and finds everything ok. Later the SA calls up to tell me that the break pads are at 2MM and needs replacement. The odo is at 32500 and I was taken aback to hear this, as the last regular service at 31200 recorded the break pads at 3.5MM. It was unbelievable that I became such an horrible driver after the last service, that I burnt out a full 1.5MM off the pads in 1000 odd run
What was the distance driven after the dip in the drain, and the wash.
Sand or mud between disks, and pads can wear them off in a jiffy.

Rahul
Old 24th April 2015, 12:34   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
What was the distance driven after the dip in the drain, and the wash.
Rahul
Well, hardly it was a 2 km ride to the service center. Also, the left side has not gone into the mud. That side was on solid tarmac all the while; but those break pads are also worn out to the same level, if that helps.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:57   #235
Senior - BHPian

Going through the posts on this thread, it seems to me that the average life of the front brake pads in somewhere between 35-50K KMS. I got mine replaced around 35K but the rear ones are still going fine. It costed me around 3.2K (only the front ones) at Honda ASC.

Also, it seems the Maruti cars' brake pads seem to last the longest and the replacement cost is ridiculously low compared to any other brands. Can anyone please shed some more light on this? Is Maruti supplying cheap brake pads which lack bite and/or feel? Or, the other brands looting us? Just curious!

Last edited by adimicra : 24th April 2015 at 12:58.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:09   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Bosch....screeching sound they make, will make you feel like metal coming off...
IMHO this could happen with any make if during the pads change they do not apply enough molybdenum grease on the corners and the mating face (of course not the disk side ) towards the caliper sides. It damps out the acoustic resonances. You might want to do this, and retry!
Old 24th April 2015, 13:31   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
IMHO this could happen with any make if during the pads change they do not apply enough molybdenum grease on the corners and the mating face (of course not the disk side ) towards the caliper sides. It damps out the acoustic resonances. You might want to do this, and retry!
I didn't try that but this sound completely vanished when I replaced the Bosch pads with OE pads.
And both of them (Bosch & OE pads) were replaced at same MASS.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:53   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
Well, hardly it was a 2 km ride to the service center. Also, the left side has not gone into the mud. That side was on solid tarmac all the while; but those break pads are also worn out to the same level, if that helps.
Well the service center might have done a mistake while measuring it the first time and may have wrongly read it as 3.5mm instead of 2.5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Going through the posts on this thread, it seems to me that the average life of the front brake pads in somewhere between 35-50K KMS. I got mine replaced around 35K but the rear ones are still going fine. It costed me around 3.2K (only the front ones) at Honda ASC.

Also, it seems the Maruti cars' brake pads seem to last the longest and the replacement cost is ridiculously low compared to any other brands. Can anyone please shed some more light on this? Is Maruti supplying cheap brake pads which lack bite and/or feel? Or, the other brands looting us? Just curious!

Yes , Maruti brake pads are designed towards longevity. The swift has wooden brakes mainly because of the hard brake pads. My friend replaced his first set @ 50K kms even though moderate driver.In i20 diesel, average life is 20-25K kms. Besides i have noticed that the Maruti brake pads do not dust much at all compared to i20.Now high end brake pads(ceramic) also do not dust. But Maruti's is not high end and this less dusting is a sign that brakes designed hard
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 17:39   #239
Senior - BHPian

At close to 45000 I'm still using OE brake pads in my Polo, my previous Innova had front pads changed at about 80,000 first time, and they had suggested a change during next service when it was 1,60,000 but I sold the car before that.

Rahul
Old 12th August 2015, 12:59   #240
VKM
BHPian

BMW 530d brake disc and pad replaced at 13000kms

Hey Guys
Need your expert inputs. Recently started hearing a noise from the right wheel especially in the 10-30kmph speeds, vehicle computer check showed nothing but anyway went to the service centre.
upon inspection found that the right disc & brake pad were totally damaged other discs fine, rear brake pads were a little worn out.
so they changed the front discs and all four brake pads and for good measure the sensor cable was changed too.
what are the possible causes of one disc getting damaged, how can it be avoided?
is it necessary to have changed the sensor cable too? (sorry if these are noob questions)
here are the pictures:

What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-dsc01471.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-dsc01488.jpg  

What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-dsc01470.jpg  

What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-dsc01480.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks