Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 14:47   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The stock disk pads on my 2005 Baleno are still good at 85k kms. Last week had them checked, but still has life for 10k kms as per the mechanic. And to think that MASS had suggested replacing these at the 30k service. 😳 Bunch of crooks.
The car just completed 90K kms last week during a Kerala - Chennai drive. During the long drive, at certain occasions I felt like the braking wasn't as great as usual. Will be looking at replacing the disc pads after a check-up with my FNG.
Old 11th September 2017, 15:06   #287
BHPian

30,000 Kms. On a long drive, there was a constant metallic sound we could hear from the front. The sound rose if I throttled. Showed this to a nearby local mechanic. He said brake pads wore out and need to be replaced. Had to drive to the nearest town with Maruti workshop and get the pads replaced
Old 10th October 2017, 14:46   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is for Skoda Laura, right?
Yes sorry polo no isF002H23828-8F8
PLZ EXCUSE a newbie

saju
sajurchristy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 18:43   #289
BHPian

In our '09 Innova the front brake pads were replaced at 62k kms and the rear brake shoes were replaced at 110k kms service. The front brake discs are still good and till date have not had any sort of scoring on them and have never had to be machined.

Even though my car sees an equal 50-50 usage between highway and city driving. I guess it is because I use engine braking and brake gradually most of the times, the brakes have worn out slowly. Currently the car has 114k kms on the ODO and at last service the front brake pads measured at 8mm. Which means I will mostly be getting the same life as the OE set.

Also a side note on Toyota service: The front brake pads are quite expensive at roughly 6k including labour in 2014. The rear brake shoes costed 3.8k including labour in 2017. I had been pestering the various SAs since 80k kms service to check for the rear brake shoe thickness and even once asked him to change it at the 95k kms service but every time they refused citing it unnecessary and showed me the thickness values to reassure my worry. Quite happy to have found such honest people.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th October 2017 at 18:46.
Old 10th October 2017, 18:46   #290
BHPian

My OE Swift ZDI brakepad lasted 50K. The replacement pads (MGP) lasted only 20K. Had to changed the rotors as well due to scoring
Old 13th November 2017, 21:47   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

The OE brake pads of my WagonR were replaced at 38k with TVS Girling ones (which my FNG says are Maruti OEMs). After 14k kms, I started getting lot of screeching sound and brake fade when the pads became hot (frequent braking at very short intervals). My FNG inspected the pads and agreed that one set looked rusty and brittle/powdery (rubber should be soft). We got another set of TVS Girling and replaced them. Now after less than 4k kms the screeching is back.

These pads are cheap @550 bucks a set. They perform very well on most occasions until they start screeching and fading. I am looking for better and quieter long term performance. Is there any better alternative for WagonR?
Old 13th November 2017, 23:04   #292
Senior - BHPian

I have driven only two cars beyond 30K km's, changed the brake pads on Hyundai Accent(used car, bought at 26K on odo) at 51K km. I did not change the brake pads on my Skoda Rapid until I owned it, the second owner changed the pads at 48K km.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th November 2017 at 23:06.
Old 13th November 2017, 23:22   #293
BHPian

Brake pads on my Fiesta still good after 54000 kms. What is the experience of other Fiesta 1.6 owners ?
Old 14th November 2017, 07:13   #294
BHPian

On my 2010 i10 Auto, brake pads averaged about 8,000 km. Just changed my last set at 23,000 km. The wear is more probably because it is an Auto box. On the change before the last, Trident Hyundai tried to tell me that the rotors had to be changed. Luckily my SA called a senior mechanic and he confirmed there was absolutely nothing wrong with the rotors. Again a case of the dealer trying to make extra money in the wrong way.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 07:52   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Santro brake pads were changed at 30K, I was not there and dealer changed it saying it's gone kaput. The brake pads on WagonR are still fine with 36K on odo. I was asked to change them at 25K by the service center so I told him to show me the reason for change, they couldn't. The brake pads still have about 40% of surface left. The brake pads of Ritz were changed at 53K after I insisted them to be changed. The service center people said that it'll last another 5K or so but I wanted them to be changed as there was some brake fade felt.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:44   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Our Santro brake pads were changed at 30K, I was not there and dealer changed it saying it's gone kaput. The brake pads on WagonR are still fine with 36K on odo. I was asked to change them at 25K by the service center so I told him to show me the reason for change, they couldn't. The brake pads still have about 40% of surface left. The brake pads of Ritz were changed at 53K after I insisted them to be changed. The service center people said that it'll last another 5K or so but I wanted them to be changed as there was some brake fade felt.
This is a usual scam at the Hyundai service. Replace brake pads pre-maturely. It is easy way to make good money. Because , pads cost around 3K. This is rampant across all Hyundai service centers in Bangalore.

For example, in i20 diesel, the pads last around 35K kms. However the service center always says the pads are shot at around 20K mark and replace it. Unless you are present physically at the service and check the condition they will continue to do this.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 19:37   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

24k kms for rear brake pads and the front brake pads are yet to be replaced but expected to last for about 40-50k kms as per the service advisor. My car sees very low mileage annually and I am particular about anticipatory braking and using the tranny (it's a MT) to slow the car as much as possible.
Old 12th July 2018, 20:29   #298

Hey guys,

Going slightly off-thread. I own an Octy 2007 - Rider 1.9 TDi.
The ODO is going strong at 140000.

Last time I replaced my Disc Rotors, it was still being cared for by the ASS, but ever since I have found Mr. Ganesh, I haven't gone back to the ASS.

My Front Disc/Rotors are due for a change now, and I was wondering what make/brand of Rotors to get onto the car now, considering the ASS does not sell parts over the counter?

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thank you

Note from Support: Post fixed. Please avoid cross-posting. Thank you!
Old 12th July 2018, 20:46   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This is a usual scam at the Hyundai service. Replace brake pads pre-maturely. It is easy way to make good money. Because , pads cost around 3K. This is rampant across all Hyundai service centers in Bangalore.

For example, in i20 diesel, the pads last around 35K kms. However the service center always says the pads are shot at around 20K mark and replace it. Unless you are present physically at the service and check the condition they will continue to do this.
I fully agree with your statement. Hyundai service specially all their dealers in Bangalore are fleecing customers . I was also been repeatedly recommended to replace my brake pads for my Getz at a price of almost INR 3750 , but I refrained from doing so and ran it for almost 10000 Kms.

I had got the brake pads from Brembo earlier and again got the same this year too. These were way to cheaper compared to the Hyundai ASS.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:38   #300
Senior - BHPian

Swift ZDi is still going strong after 46k km! Stock tyres almost have no life left and brake pad has outlasted the OEM tyres. Considering my driving style I think OEM pads are harder than they need to be, just to extract more life out of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks