Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 12:41   #2761
BHPian

Re: 1,00,000 kms Milestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You ran the mineral oil too for 10K ?
Yes it was mineral-oil at 10K, 20K and 30K (actually I did not know about synthetic-oil before that).
It was forced upon me by the A.S.S at 40K.
I was reluctant at first since the cost was around three times more.
But now it is going to be synthetic always, since longevity of the engine is important to me.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 13:32   #2762
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I have had to have 3 engine mounts replaced in as many as 3 years. First 2 they did under warranty, last they refused, even though I had extended warranty and I had to pay for. Now while there is a slight noise, it has lasted 2+ years, so am hopeful the issue is mostly resolved. It seems there is a rubber bit which gives way in our climate and as per Honda policy there is no warranty for rubber, so it becomes a 'consumable'.

Same problem for the lower arms - the rubber bit is gone so it make a bit of noise once in a while. Again - sorry sir, rubber only cannot be replaced or part is not under warranty, entire assembly you have to replace at your cost.

As I said earlier, I am simply living with some of these noises, just turning up the music a bit as otherwise it simply is a very nice car to drive.
How long can the engine mount issue be left unattended? The dealer says he is waiting for the parts before it can be rectified but cannot confirm when the part will arrive! Will it cause any serious damage if it is fixed after a month or two.My car is having this problem for almost 5000 KM.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:35   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
How long can the engine mount issue be left unattended? The dealer says he is waiting for the parts before it can be rectified but cannot confirm when the part will arrive! Will it cause any serious damage if it is fixed after a month or two.My car is having this problem for almost 5000 KM.
Other than the 'clunk' sound which occurred over some types of bumps / potholes, the engine mount never indicated any other type of problem for me. The last time the dealer advised to change so I did, but only at next service.

Probably once it keeps clunking, the metal portion could shear? No idea. Maybe some other people with more experience / knowledge can help here.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 13:40   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The front engine mount, the one on top of the alternator goes kaput in most Civics.
Quote:
I have had to have 3 engine mounts replaced in as many as 3 years.
How much does it cost replacing these engine mounts?

The rubber parts on the lower arm are never replaced, they just replace the complete arm and it costs anywhere between 2-5K. Even in Maruti/Suzuki its a problem.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:09   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
How much does it cost replacing these engine mounts?

The rubber parts on the lower arm are never replaced, they just replace the complete arm and it costs anywhere between 2-5K. Even in Maruti/Suzuki its a problem.
I think I paid about 8k about 2 years ago. No idea now.

Lower arms in civic I think are much more than 2-5k, total cost around 12-15k if I remember, but again not sure.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:35   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the engine mounts are a problem, get them replaced immediately. It can increase with every km and lead to horrific vibrations and other issues. If it breaks and lets go, God forbid. Not a good idea to ignore even for a few kms. And you say the car is having a problem for nearly 5000 km. Any serious vibrations while lifting off or changing gears? Well id suggest change all the mounts together. Engine as well as Gear mounts and do it quick. Re will it do considerable damage? Well lets just say dont even think of planning a road trip without getting this done.

If they are really gone bad, you would feel and hear the clunk when you suddenly rev or brake. Broken/bad mounts will result in the movement of the engine when suddenly stopping or stepping on the gas.
Conduct the following test;
Seated in a started car, engage the hand brake. Then put the car in gear and let the clutch go, only so much as to let the car try to move but keep it at one place. Carefully listen for any clunks from the engine bay. If there is a sound, check your mounts. 9/10 chances are, they are broken.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 15:40   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If the engine mounts are a problem, get them replaced immediately. It can increase with every km and lead to horrific vibrations and other issues. If it breaks and lets go, God forbid. Not a good idea to ignore even for a few kms. And you say the car is having a problem for nearly 5000 km. Any serious vibrations while lifting off or changing gears? Well id suggest change all the mounts together. Engine as well as Gear mounts and do it quick. Re will it do considerable damage? Well lets just say dont even think of planning a road trip without getting this done.

If they are really gone bad, you would feel and hear the clunk when you suddenly rev or brake. Broken/bad mounts will result in the movement of the engine when suddenly stopping or stepping on the gas.
Conduct the following test;
Seated in a started car, engage the hand brake. Then put the car in gear and let the clutch go, only so much as to let the car try to move but keep it at one place. Carefully listen for any clunks from the engine bay. If there is a sound, check your mounts. 9/10 chances are, they are broken.
Thanks.Mine is an A/T model.Clunk noise comes from Driver side front only on Potholes/Bumps.Steering vibrates (persistently) at speeds over 100 KMPH while running.Otherwise there is no noise/any movements while braking.

Last edited by ramanak : 25th January 2012 at 15:42.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:53   #2768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.Mine is an A/T model.Clunk noise comes from Driver side front only on Potholes/Bumps.Steering vibrates (persistently) at speeds over 100 KMPH while running.Otherwise there is no noise/any movements while braking.
Steering vibration at high speed is wheel balancing issue, nothing to do with engine mounts. You need to get wheel balancing done asap.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:25   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Steering vibration at high speed is wheel balancing issue, nothing to do with engine mounts. You need to get wheel balancing done asap.
Yeah. Stock Tyres having done 36 K Kms are due for replacement.Will change tyres and check if it sorts out the steering vibration issue.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:55   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.Mine is an A/T model.
I realized something was wrong when there was increased engine noise and there was some amount of feedback from the accelerator in my A/T. I also feel that it is better to get the replacement done as early as possible.

Regards
Vijay
Old 27th January 2012, 13:11   #2771
BHPian

60k Service done @54.5k at Deccan Honda Pimpri (First service post purchase) 15 days back
Labour Cost 1500
Engine Oil(3.7l) 1050
Automatic Transmission Oil(4l) 1527
Oil Filter 202
Air Filter 944
Washer Plug Drain 20
Consumables 180
Motor Care (??? Please explain what is this supposed to do ???) 380

Total Rs.6046/-

Did not get brake fluid changed here since it was changed for free (charged only for the Brake Fluid) by Mahindra First Choice SVC only a month back.

Effects felt: The gearshifts are a lot smoother. Shift points have been slightly lowered i.e. it was impossible to reach top gear before hitting 75kph. Now the tranny shifts to top gear even at 66-67 if I keep a light foot. No positive effect on FE though. Thats still a dismal 7.5/7.7 kmpl. Even though the running is extremely low at approx 700km/month, these kind of FE is not something we are very used to seeing on the other cars so it is a bit alarming. I guess it should be better on the Highways, but still the highest I have ever managed is 11.8(on a 2-lane highway).
Old 27th January 2012, 13:45   #2772
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Motor Care (??? Please explain what is this supposed to do ???) 380
Thats the engine bay treatment job. They clean up / polish the components in the engine bay. If you check, the bay should be all shiny now.

Quote:
No positive effect on FE though. Thats still a dismal 7.5/7.7 kmpl.

still the highest I have ever managed is 11.8(on a 2-lane highway).
Considering Pune traffic it is a bit low. Lets meet sometime and see why your car is giving so low FE.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 13:46   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Effects felt: The gearshifts are a lot smoother. Shift points have been slightly lowered i.e. it was impossible to reach top gear before hitting 75kph. Now the tranny shifts to top gear even at 66-67 if I keep a light foot. No positive effect on FE though. Thats still a dismal 7.5/7.7 kmpl. Even though the running is extremely low at approx 700km/month, these kind of FE is not something we are very used to seeing on the other cars so it is a bit alarming. I guess it should be better on the Highways, but still the highest I have ever managed is 11.8(on a 2-lane highway).
There is something wrong with your shift points. My upshift points are:
1st - 2nd - 16 kmph
2nd - 3rd - 30 kmph (maybe 28 kmph)
3rd to 4th - 40 kmph
4th to 5th - 55 kmph

Rest is fine. In city you are getting 7.5+ which is fine. Highway should be higher, about 13-14 at least. If I hypermile, my RPM shows about 1,700 at around 85-90 kmph, which is very good. Check your tires - changing from the OEM bridgestones (they were slipping like crazy and ABS kept kicking in on the slightest of hard braking) gave me instant +10% better FE.

AT fluid must be changed every 2 years in our conditions.
Old 27th January 2012, 14:00   #2774
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it was impossible to reach top gear before hitting 75kph. Now the tranny shifts to top gear even at 66-67
Quote:
There is something wrong with your shift points. My upshift points are:
1st - 2nd - 16 kmph
2nd - 3rd - 30 kmph (maybe 28 kmph)
3rd to 4th - 40 kmph
4th to 5th - 55 kmph
antz.bin your car has an AT? Missed that.
Yeah, in that case the upshift point from 4th to 5th is way too high.

Sandeep108, is your car AT too? Which year? In your case the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd also seems to be occurring at a higher speed. Are these in S mode using paddles?

Have a look at this post for the numbers I get.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...indicator.html
Old 27th January 2012, 14:22   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Sandeep108, is your car AT too? Which year? In your case the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd also seems to be occurring at a higher speed. Are these in S mode using paddles?
No, normal mode. I am fine with these points. Remember there is also some speedo error. 16 kmph actually feels more like 12-13 to me. 2nd to 3rd could be around 26 kmph also, not too sure/remember.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks