Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 11:17   #3271
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A piece of advice on disk skimming.
So once you skim, make sure you check the disks periodically for rust.
In addition to all the discussions that's happening here about disk skimmimg, my real worry is this: what happens to the design strength of the disks after skimming?

Can that component take on the same stress (at very high speeds that I normally drive) for which it is designed?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:28   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof

In addition to all the discussions that's happening here about disk skimmimg, my real worry is this: what happens to the design strength of the disks after skimming?

Can that component take on the same stress (at very high speeds that I normally drive) for which it is designed?
Do not think that skimming affects the design strength in any manner. I understand that the skimming process basically smoothness the surface by shaving off or polishing the undulations. Since the portion skimmed is very very small I don't think it will affect the design adversely. One reason why skimming tolerances are very low and any further means discs need to be replaced.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 12:01   #3273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Recently when I had to leave the car unattended for 7 weeks, a thick layer of rust formed on it. Compared to that, the rear disks that were not skimmed didn't rust at all.

So once you skim, make sure you check the disks periodically for rust.
Discs are mild steel (definitely not SS). So rust is quite normal if the car is not driven for some time. The front wheels pick up most of the muck and water so they rust quicker. As soon as you do a few tens of km the rust will be gone.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:42   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

I do not think the rust is a because of skimming, as i see a thin layer of rust in my Baleno as well (that too after overnight, or maybe a day of not driving). A thin layer of rust is to protect the metal, gets formed even when the discs are new.
How will the rust protect the metal. Is it not degrading the metal rather?
Old 25th April 2012, 14:56   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Sent my car for a MEGA 40K service yesterday to Whitefield Honda.
Will keep you posted...
Went to collect the car...but, alas, when the car came out of the garage, I noticed a big dent on the LHS bottom skirt (beneath the two doors), which was NOT there when I gave the car for servicing.

After some back and forth arguments, the car is taken back to the workshop by the HASS folks - will get it tomorrow (but already bill paid; disks replaced, 40K servicing done; and all the garnishing that I had requested done)
Old 25th April 2012, 15:08   #3276
BHPian

Quote:

Went to collect the car...but, alas, when the car came out of the garage, I noticed a big dent on the LHS bottom skirt (beneath the two doors), which was NOT there when I gave the car for servicing.

After some back and forth arguments, the car is taken back to the workshop by the HASS folks - will get it tomorrow (but already bill paid; disks replaced, 40K servicing done; and all the garnishing that I had requested done)
This post just raised my blood pressure. My car is at the A.S.S for regular service and fixing a dashboard rattle. It's scary when I hear such experiences. How will denting and painting be finished within a day? Which service center was this at?
Old 25th April 2012, 15:24   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
How will the rust protect the metal. Is it not degrading the metal rather?
Corrosion
Corrosion is generally not a problem with rear drum brakes.
Initial, light corrosion can be cleaned off under reasonably heavy braking, but if left, this light corrosion gets worse and can lead to surface pitting which is acceptable as long as it does not seriously weaken the discs.
Source : Brake wear, corrosion and other problems | The AA

Apologies, but cannot find it now. Read somewhere that the light corrosion protects the discs so as they do not get into heavy Corrosion.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 25th April 2012 at 15:27.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:40   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
This post just raised my blood pressure. My car is at the A.S.S for regular service and fixing a dashboard rattle. It's scary when I hear such experiences. How will denting and painting be finished within a day? Which service center was this at?
Whitefield Honda, Whitefield, Bangalore.

BTW, this type of dent in the skirt can be repaired and repainted in a day.

To be fair, I should also add here, that with my experience with this HASS for the past 7 years, this is the first time this is happening.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:46   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Corrosion
Corrosion is generally not a problem with rear drum brakes.
Initial, light corrosion can be cleaned off under reasonably heavy braking, but if left, this light corrosion gets worse and can lead to surface pitting which is acceptable as long as it does not seriously weaken the discs.
Source : Brake wear, corrosion and other problems | The AA

Apologies, but cannot find it now. Read somewhere that the light corrosion protects the discs so as they do not get into heavy Corrosion.
That would be a very interesting read indeed. Please do share whenever you can. So if cars are left standing of a few weeks then maybe this rust can develop into a worrisome thing.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:08   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engineer called me this morning and told me that the front brake discs need to be replaced as they have worn out unevenly - if they are not replaced, there will be agitating vibrations while braking at over 100 kmph.

Any experience from users here? When is this normally replaced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
One when suddenly hard braking from speeds of about 120 the car shuddered a little and it felt as if the brakes were struggling to bite. This did not happen if the braking was slow and smooth. Looks like as its mentioned above need to get the brake discs checked under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal
That is a little too early for brake judder to start I think. You should definitely check with the Honda A.S.S. Mine started at around the 28K mark.
I don't drive too hard too often and I'm definitely very gentle on the brakes where I can afford it.

Everything was fine until my relocation drive from Hyd to Ggn in August last year. The car was just over a year old and had ~18k on the odo when the drive started. Because it was raining and certain sections on Hyd - Mum - Surat were no better than slush pits I think something got lodged between the pads and discs and I started hearing a loud, pulsating sound on applying brakes hard from 100/120+ speeds (from the 2nd day on). If brakes were applied gradually, the sound was either much lower in volume or practically non-existent. There was very little vibration and I couldn't sense a real drop in braking effectiveness. It's just that I tended to not hit the brakes too hard out of fear because of the sound.

I showed it to Ring Road Honda in Gurgaon and they cleaned the discs and/or pads (INR 400) and the sound reduced considerably after that. It's still there but not as scary as it was during that drive.

Was in two minds about asking for a warranty replacement. If the sound hadn't reduced after a cleaning, I would have pushed for it. At the back of my mind was the thought that I did drive through slush pits and roads where the top layer was easily coming off, so it just didn't feel right to blame Honda and ask for replacement under warranty.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 11:51   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix

I don't drive too hard too often and I'm definitely very gentle on the brakes where I can afford it.

Everything was fine until my relocation drive from Hyd to Ggn in August last year. The car was just over a year old and had ~18k on the odo when the drive started. Because it was raining and certain sections on Hyd - Mum - Surat were no better than slush pits I think something got lodged between the pads and discs and I started hearing a loud, pulsating sound on applying brakes hard from 100/120+ speeds (from the 2nd day on). If brakes were applied gradually, the sound was either much lower in volume or practically non-existent. There was very little vibration and I couldn't sense a real drop in braking effectiveness. It's just that I tended to not hit the brakes too hard out of fear because of the sound.

I showed it to Ring Road Honda in Gurgaon and they cleaned the discs and/or pads (INR 400) and the sound reduced considerably after that. It's still there but not as scary as it was during that drive.

Was in two minds about asking for a warranty replacement. If the sound hadn't reduced after a cleaning, I would have pushed for it. At the back of my mind was the thought that I did drive through slush pits and roads where the top layer was easily coming off, so it just didn't feel right to blame Honda and ask for replacement under warranty.

Regards,
spadix
I had a chat with the Peninsular Honda service chaps regarding brake wear sometime back and they were of the opinion that the brake wear is largely dependent on driving styles and that AT cars tend to have greater break wear than MT cars. They had apparently tended cases which needed brake pa replacement at the 10k mark. On MT cars that are driven under normal conditions and not abused much you should not have any issues till 25-30k km is what they were saying. My brakes started juddering around the 28k mark only. Am getting them skimmed and am changing brake pads at the service that is happening today.

Front brake pads have become more
expensive, I was quoted around 6400 for a set.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 01:28   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a chat with the Peninsular Honda service chaps regarding brake wear sometime back and they were of the opinion that the brake wear is largely dependent on driving styles and that AT cars tend to have greater break wear than MT cars. They had apparently tended cases which needed brake pa replacement at the 10k mark. On MT cars that are driven under normal conditions and not abused much you should not have any issues till 25-30k km is what they were saying.
I would tend to believe them.

Mine's an MT, and the brakes were absolutely fine before that long trip, and there's been no degradation after the service immediately after the trip (odo nearing 26k kms right now). So I'm pretty sure whatever caused the noise was just some debris picked up by the wheels. If not for that, things would've been almost as good as new now.

Regards,
spadix
Old 27th April 2012, 10:05   #3283
BANNED

Quote:
... that AT cars tend to have greater break wear than MT cars.
Normal since an AT car in D has no engine braking. In fact some vendors used to provide uprated brakes in the AT vis a vis the MT. Also, while the i20 AT has all round discs etc the corresponding MT does not. The consensus about the AT pads seems to be more like 30-40k, on AT as well. I may add that my Santro AT runs through its pads in about 15-20k.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:58   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys.

My Civic's AC has some problem.

Earlier I used to keep it on 25-26 depending on requirement. Now, I get the same effect if I keep it on 34-24. What could be the problem ?

BTW, My car will be 6 years old in August and it has been driven 68000 kms. Never got any AC related work done in the car.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:30   #3285
Senior - BHPian

If you have never got any AC work done, I strongly recommend you get a complete service done. Otherwise if the lubricant in the gas goes, you will be looking at compressor replacement, which will really hurt your wallet.

On all my cars I get AC servicing done every 3 - 4 years.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks