Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 13:28   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

I went to the showroom yesterday but unfortunately the test drive car was gone for servicing! tough luck then. But was able to see the car and sit in it. Front seats were pretty much ok and quality was pretty good on the dash board. But the rear seats were disappointing, the rear middle passenger will undergo torture with those bulging centre arm rest and the lack of under thigh support, which gets amplified in that particular positin. A great 4 seater car maybe then
Old 29th May 2011, 13:59   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
4. Rear seats: Rear seats are set low, and they lack under-thigh support. Rear leg room isn't too great either. Initially I thought the rear leg room was OK, since my front who is nearly 6-foot tall had just enough room at the rear even though the front seats were pushed all the way back. When I got into the front seat, I found that even with front seats pushed all the way back, I could still reach the pedals easily - and I'm only just shy of 5-foot-8 (no way that's happening in my Punto) - so I concluded that front seat travel is possibly limited. In that context, it would be interesting to know how the 6-foot+ guys would find the front seats during long journeys (especially if they like driving with seats pushed back). In terms of shoulder room, the rear is strictly for 2, a third person is a very tight fit. My friends were not impressed, since the same set of guys had test driven the Vento with 4 guys at the back (admittedly not comfortable, but 4 guys still fit in. Whereas in Verna, we couldn't imagine having a 4th guy in the rear seat).

In the end, both the guys who were looking to buy the car were not very impressed with what they saw. Both are a bit closer to buying the Vento now, but still waiting for the Fiesta.
Well, if rear seat comfort is what your friends are banking on, then even the New Fiesta will disappoint them. There is hardly any increase in rear space when compared to the current Fiesta.

But if they are looking at other criteria like driving dynamics, etc, then it might be worth the wait.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:06   #813

Hey Guys....

I booked vento 1.6 Diesel last month and recently happened to see the Fluidic Verna. A bit of history of past one is about a swift LXi and I drive home (Bangalore - Kerala) once in 2 months and really enjoyed highway cruising in swift. I am quite a passionate driver, enjoys engine braking, fuel efficient driving at highways. The goodies like parking sensors, electric mirrors, AUX/USB i/p doesnt drive me crazy to choose a car.Hence I chose Vento. But after seeing the new verna, its cost of the 1.6 diesel SX and *** specs, I am slightly confused.

The most important question is if i choose the verna, will i feel terrible driving it on highways compared to my swift? (Because in many reviews i heard about soft suspension, lack of stability, poor steering feedback etc of the verna).

Need help from you seniors!!!!!!!
Old 29th May 2011, 16:28   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijojackson View Post
I am quite a passionate driver, enjoys engine braking, fuel efficient driving at highways. The goodies like parking sensors, electric mirrors, AUX/USB i/p doesnt drive me crazy to choose a car.
Mate, the Verna scored on the "goodies". If those aren't important for you and are looking at highway driving, you must atleast Test Drive the Optra Magnum Diesel. (LS at about 9L+ On the Road Delhi)

More on that at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sx4-manza.html
and at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html
Old 29th May 2011, 16:37   #815
Senior - BHPian

Can someone who has driven the verna comment on the steering feel and feedback - I hearing conflicting commments on this - how does it compare to i20, is it very similar or a little better?
Old 29th May 2011, 18:19   #816
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijojackson View Post
Hey Guys....

The most important question is if i choose the verna, will i feel terrible driving it on highways compared to my swift? (Because in many reviews i heard about soft suspension, lack of stability, poor steering feedback etc of the verna).
Need help from you seniors!!!!!!!
All said and done a Sedan will definite handle better than a hatch. Even the Dzire handles better than the Swift. This is because of better distribution of the weight between the front and back. To keep it simple the Verna will handle better than your Swift Lxi. Where you will have to be care is to learn to handle the power of the Verna properly. Whether the Verna or the Vento, I would suggest that once you TD both the cars just go with which car feels better in your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Can someone who has driven the verna comment on the steering feel and feedback - I hearing conflicting commments on this - how does it compare to i20, is it very similar or a little better?
I own a i20 CRDI which I have just sold since I am upgrading to a Verna CRDI. The steering feel and feed back is similar to that of the i20. It is just a matter of getting used to. The light steering is boon for city driving though. You cannot have the best of both worlds.
Old 29th May 2011, 18:38   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

All said and done a Sedan will definite handle better than a hatch. Even the Dzire handles better than the Swift. This is because of better distribution of the weight between the front and back. To keep it simple the Verna will handle better than your Swift Lxi.
I have serious doubts about this statement.

IMO, its all about a capable chassis, suspensions dynamics and engine state of tune. If you compare handling of a swift with previous gen verna, anyone would tell you, verna handled like a boat, while swift is a sure footed hatchback.

And who says that the dezire handles better than the swift?
Old 29th May 2011, 18:51   #818
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I have serious doubts about this statement.

IMO, its all about a capable chassis, suspensions dynamics and engine state of tune. If you compare handling of a swift with previous gen verna, anyone would tell you, verna handled like a boat, while swift is a sure footed hatchback.

And who says that the dezire handles better than the swift?

^ This guy(sids911) is 100% correct. There is no science on which drives better but mostly the case is that hatches are better handlers than their respective sedans as the all the 4 wheels are at the 4 corners of the car.
Old 29th May 2011, 21:06   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Even the Dzire handles better than the Swift. This is because of better distribution of the weight between the front and back.

To keep it simple the Verna will handle better than your Swift Lxi.
Dzire handling is not at all good. Nowhere in the league of swift. Swift is planted at 130. Dzire is nervous.

Are you comparing Swift's Handling with Verna's. Swift has one of the better handling capabilities in its segment. (Although Punto/Polo/Figo are better)
Verna has the worst (old one). No comparison. Cant comment on the new one.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:01   #820
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Dzire handling is not at all good. Nowhere in the league of swift. Swift is planted at 130. Dzire is nervous.

Are you comparing Swift's Handling with Verna's. Swift has one of the better handling capabilities in its segment. (Although Punto/Polo/Figo are better)
Verna has the worst (old one). No comparison. Cant comment on the new one.
Guys we are talking of normal driving not rally driving in stock cars (I know WRC cars are AWD Hatches). Though people talk of 130/140 as normal speeds on the highway it just your luck that things have not gone bad with the driving culture we witness on the highways.

Most people drive mainly in the cities and you will find the ride quality of the sedan to be better than a hatch in the city especially when we have speed breakers all over the place like in Bangalore. On the highways driving at the 100-120 zone you will be fine. I have just returned on a old Verna CRDI (ABS) from Coorg last afternoon and we (4 people) were quite fine though the Madikeri-Bangalore road is one of the few roads in Karnataka in good shape. For me personally the braking power is more important than speed. My i20 CRDI Asta which is with ABS + EBD was a pleasure to drive on the highway as I was always spot on my braking. I have driven the i20 for 23000 kms with around 65% in the city (previous car Accent CRDI for 82000 kms) and would never like to judge these cars based on 130/140 speeds handling experience, which in the South highways is limited to some short runs. By the way I never enjoyed the i20 suspension in the city

You may not agree but your premise that 130 is a normal speed is wrong in the first place. The highway speed limit even in the US with excellent roads and substantial better road discipline is 70 miles approx 110 kmph.

Handling of the ANHV may not be great on the highway with its urban suspension set up but the large population will buy because of the overall package and will learn to live with its short comings

This my personal opinion
Cheers
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 08:58   #821
BHPian

After going through the passionate discussion between KPS, Sid and other people here regarding dynamics of the ANHV, here is my first hand experience with the car.

Having completed 2650 kms to-date with my New Verna in 14 days, here is what I have to say about the car and living with it:

- Steering : It is incredible to note how light it is, in a good or a bad way. As mentioned by someone else here, it is an absolutely boon in the city. Clubbed with the slick gearshift, I would rate it to be one of the best cars in the city, of course, putting in to picture its engine capabilities, lack of turbo lag, great air-conditioning and very supportive front seats. In continuation with the steering discussion, on the highways it sure feels lifeless and non-responsive. I do not know how other's like their car to be, but for me it is perfectly fine to drive a car with a non-responsive steering on the highway @ 120 kmph, as long as it does not misbehave or sends 'wrong' responses! Steering feel, for me overall, would be 8.5 / 10

- Handling : Is it not as sure-footed as some of the better handlers - Absolutely. Does it handle like a boat - No! I have said this before, but let me emphasize - Up to 120kmph, I see no difference in its handling when I compare it to my Innova or Dzire. I know I am comparing orange with tomatoes, but I have lived with the other two cars for 100,000 + kms each! Now, let me add to this statement. With the two trips I have taken to Ahmedabad from Surat (600 kms round), the first one was just two people on-board, and the next one was with five on-board. The ride is extremely bouncy at speeds over 110kmph with five people, and it does jump quite a bit over slightly uneven roads or bumps. We have been blessed with some of the best highways in Gujarat, and hence the average speed is 100+ all the time.

I understand such cars were not meant to be driver's cars, but yet, I was disappointed with its ride with 5 people in it. Is there something that can be done to reduce the bounciness? Something with the suspension? Maybe under-inflate the tyres?

Finally - for me, my car has to be a complete package. We have been blessed with decent choices in India recently, but none among them is perfect. Some of them have roomy interiors, the others have great dynamics, a couple of them are very fuel efficient and some are great lookers. To choose the best among the worst (or to pick the best mix), I don't see any other car this price or even slightly higher to have such a great bundle of positives - awesome looks, great interiors, very loaded, stonker of an engine, very fuel efficient (Read - 18.7 kmpl over 2650 kms) and Hyundai service network. Oh, and did I mention, great safety features? Braking is top-notch.

My two pence.
mathranik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 09:32   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
A site called ecardlr.com lists 0 - 60 and 0 - 100 timings for the Verna Crdi in a comparison between SX4. Times seem reasonably correct. I did not see these times in the review so I'm posting it here.

Car Comparison Between SX4 ZDI Leather vs Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX (D) on ecardlr.com
What is it with Hyundai and brakes. Remember Hatch back comparision by Smartcat IIRC i20 was having one of the worst 100-0 kmph breaking distance, after Indica that is. And now its sibling also on 4 discs is taking a good 11 mts extra (50 percentage more) than Sx4 as per data provided by above link.

As per data provided weight of both cars are same, both comes with ABS/EBD and only Verna comes with all discs. However a 80- 0kmph braking distance of 32.88 mts compared to SX4 ZDi's 21.47
Old 30th May 2011, 09:50   #823
BHPian

Did a quick 7-8 km TD of 1.6 CRDI SX yesterday ay HMP Delhi. Some quick thoughts that came to my mind after the TD:

1. Engine is super silent, probably one of the most silent diesel I have ever driven.
2. It did not feel as powerful as the specs indicate on paper. May be due to linear power delivery or the silent nature. It was quick but with ~125 bhp under the hood I expected it to blow me away. I once drove an Optra and the engine of that car was a blast with similar bhp numbers. But then it had ~70 nm torque and ~400 cc extra
3. EPS equipped steering is super light. It's same at speeds of 0, 40 and 80. No feedback at all. I went to HMP in my 6 year old santro and it's HPS felt much better after driving Verna. First one km took me to adjust to the feel of verna steering as lane changes were quick due to no feedback. I am sure one would get used to it with time but I think none of us would be happy with this steering.
4. Ride quality was good but handling was not. There was decent body roll when I was coming off a flyover using a loop type exit at speed of about 40-45. I felt the ride quality and handling was similar to my Manza.
5. As mentioned by all, car looks really good, interiors felt good, and it's full of features. Rear seat comfort was a let down, as mentioned by many.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 30th May 2011 at 09:51.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:35   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
What is it with Hyundai and brakes. Remember Hatch back comparision by Smartcat IIRC i20 was having one of the worst 100-0 kmph breaking distance, after Indica that is. And now its sibling also on 4 discs is taking a good 11 mts extra (50 percentage more) than Sx4 as per data provided by above link.

As per data provided weight of both cars are same, both comes with ABS/EBD and only Verna comes with all discs. However a 80- 0kmph braking distance of 32.88 mts compared to SX4 ZDi's 21.47
I don't know too much about the site whose link I provided. To tell you the truth I hadn't even heard of the site until I did a web search for "Hyundai Fluidic Verna 0-100". To me the 0-100 and 0-60 timings seemed reasonably correct, but other stats could be wrong.

Mathranik who bought the Verna Crdi recently has said his brakes are very good.

Its unfortunate no review that I've seen so far has done any 0-60 or 0-100 timings for the Verna Crdi. If someone does come across any pl do post the link. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:16   #825
Senior - BHPian

The 0-100 and ingear accleration numbers are available on the video comparison between verna and vento diesel from the autocar website. If i recollect it right, the 0-100 was around 10.5x - few seconds quicker than the vento and in gear acceleration timings were much better for the vento D. Do check the autocar website for these details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Its unfortunate no review that I've seen so far has done any 0-60 or 0-100 timings for the Verna Crdi. If someone does come across any pl do post the link. Thanks in advance.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks