Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 07:34   #4981
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

I have closed a deal on 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG. It has hardly run 7k km in 2 years. It does not have extended warranty. It does have standard 4 year warranty of the 2019 batch. I know I should be prepared for DQ200 issues. I have had a DCT on my Kia which also gave a lot of trouble.

Kerala roads are smooth. I am not happy with good years that come with Skoda. Would like to upgrade to 17 if possible. A lot of owners here are against this upgrade. I dont mind a bit of stiffness in the ride, but I do hate body roll. Is there any source for VRS 17 inchers in BLR / COK.

How expensive can be a DSG failure? I dont think sourcing DQ200 wont be an issue as all new Taiguns, T Rocs, Kushaqs and upcoming Slavia are going to come with the same gearbox. This is a relief.

Remapping would void warranty potentially, but I got info from tuners round here that if a proper TCU remap is done, life of DSG gearbox wont be affected. I am not sure of this.
sandygordon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 07:35   #4982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Thankfully, they agreed to do the job under warranty without any hesitation this time.
Good they are doing the thermostat under warranty. However, formally ask them to check the water pump and whether the dripping coolant has affected the timing belt or not. Just as a precaution!

In other news, I had a CEL on my MY16 Octavia TSI since yesterday morning (no reason as such), and when I hooked up my VLink & Torque OBD Pro combo, found it was:
https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0141/

Anyway, I cleared it and restarted multiple times + a short spirited drive and all is well now. It does intermittent office commutes in BLR city only.

Can the experts guide me? Anything to rush to the A.S.S. for?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:11   #4983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I have closed a deal on 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG. It has hardly run 7k km in 2 years. It does not have extended warranty.

How expensive can be a DSG failure? I dont think sourcing DQ200 wont be an issue as all new Taiguns, T Rocs, Kushaqs and upcoming Slavia are going to come with the same gearbox. This is a relief.
First of all, many many congratulations . There is nothing that can match the Octavia TSI at this price point.

The DQ200 DSG + Mechatronics unit costs around 1.5 lakhs as per this latest thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...=Mechatronics& (Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure)
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:47   #4984
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Kerala roads are smooth. I am not happy with good years that come with Skoda. Would like to upgrade to 17 if possible. A lot of owners here are against this upgrade. I dont mind a bit of stiffness in the ride, but I do hate body roll. Is there any source for VRS 17 inchers in BLR / COK.
Body roll doesn't come from "tyre sidewall squidging in corners" alone. Harsher ride doesn't mean lower body roll. Lateral stiffness of chassis is what decides body roll. The asymmetrical flexing of tyre sidewall due to lateral loading in corners is just 'damping' on the lateral body roll that is already present - a smaller sidewall will dampen it a bit better, but you will still feel body roll, if the chassis has it. The only way to reduce body roll, IMHO, is from stiffer ARBs, springs, dampers etc.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:37   #4985
BHPian

Quote:
I have closed a deal on 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG. It has hardly run 7k km in 2 years.
If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it?
Old 21st October 2021, 16:50   #4986
Senior - BHPian

Been thinking about writing down my ownership experience but did not get time earlier.

So I am in the 6th year of the ownership of 2016 Octavia 2 TDI Manual and what a journey it has been. Love this car to every bit of it. As most here was confused between Jetta and Octavia and finally settled for Octavia as it was faster than Jetta in stock form and I could connect this car better than Jetta. Though even now when I see a Jetta, I keep starting at that.

Now coming to the car it has been serving me really well and is super reliable (touchwood). The car has run 63k kms. Not even once the car left me stranded, other than the regular repairs (battery, clutch replacement). Definitely had few niggles like ac vent and steering controls breaking, other than that absolutely no issues. Otherwise the car has aged really well and interiors still look great

With the desire of owning a new car, last year around this time I had almost booked a 320d, but was not convinced to pay 50+ big ones considering the depreciation. Also the practicality was taking a hit with that small usable boot (being used to Octavia's) and the fact that its a 2 litre engine still. And being in Bangalore the used cars did not make sense.

That's when thought of rejuvenating my car (thanks to Team Bhp thread) and since then series of modification as below -

Pete's ECU Stage 1 Remap: : Claimed power figures of 190 BHP and 400 torque though haven't dyno'd. But the way the car behaves now, I do not have much to suspect the claim numbers. Octavia TDI MT in stock itself was a faster car with 0 to 100 in 8.6 seconds. Have not checked the 0 to 100 post remap but can say the car picks speed very well. The 4th gear cleanly pulls to insane speeds. Also changed to K&N air filter
Bilstein B6 : This is the best ever mod done on my car. The slow speed ride is slightly bumpy on uneven roads and stiff, but it shines on highways. The expansion joints or broken patches doesn't effect at all. I should not have waited for 5 years to get this done
17 inch Alloys: : Upgraded to MSW by OZ 17 8J alloys coupled with 225/45 Conti SC5. Though stiffer ride, the high speed stability and cornering is amazing. The car ride like from a segment above. This along with the B6 gives the feel of car being glued to the road at any speeds. I would have still preferred for PS4, but Michelin was not in stock.
Brakes : Upgraded to Brembo dotted rotors and Brembo Xtra pads in the front. For rear only changed the pads to Brembo in stock rotors. This is still bedding in, need to see how it performs post few kms.
Sports Pedal : Installed Razo GT Spec aluminum pedals, this is a drilled one
Lights upgrade: Bi-xenon with projector for headlights, HID for fogs, LED DRL and all interior lights to LED. The ambition variant came with dual barrel halogen lamps. Now the issue is the high beam unit in stock is H15 which is a rare model with both high beam and halogen DRL in single bulb. This set up is good as I rarely drive in high beam, and in conditions where it is required I have both bi-xenon and halogen high beams. But whenever the headlights are on, halogen DRL glows too in yellow and its an eye shore. Need to find an alternative as H15 lights are difficult to procure.
Android Headunit : Now the stock headunit was looking outdated in otherwise a very well laid out cabin. Upgraded to 10 inch android head unit (4/64) with wireless apple car play and also integrated reverse camera. The cabin is now very modern and matches the new cars. Works seamlessly.

Thanks to Team BHP for the valuable contents, advises and ownership posts based on which I had done most of the mods. The good thing about aftermarket mods is you research things and learn quite a lot - before I got in to it I did not know most of the aspects on suspension brands or components, wheel brands and cost / other technical things but you started learning things and that journey is very exciting. Only thing is you burn a lot of money, but you save a lot by not buying a new car too.

Now with all these upgrades, I am planning to keep the car for another 3 to 4 years (hopefully). The car is fast, high speed stability and handling is amazing, very practical, has quality interiors and for me very reliable too. Challenge is finding a right replacement for this - neither 320d, or C class or A4 feels like a right upgrade now. Being a die hard fan of BMW only car I can think of is 330i, but still don't feel worth spending that money yet
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:09   #4987
BHPian

Battery of my Octavia 2 Tdi gave up one fine morning without any warning signs. Luckily, the car was at home. The car is two and half years old and run about 26k kms. Both old and new battery is Varta. Tafe Access, Mangalore took 7 days to get and install the new battery
Old 25th October 2021, 10:20   #4988
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Battery of my Octavia 2 Tdi gave up one fine morning without any warning signs. Luckily, the car was at home. The car is two and half years old and run about 26k kms. Both old and new battery is Varta. Tafe Access, Mangalore took 7 days to get and install the new battery
My 1.8TSI just had its second service (2 years) and the service centre (Brite Skoda) warned of slightly discharged battery (lower voltage) and then they charged it manually. I guess this is sign enough (2 yrs old is 1st sign, lower voltage, second sign). But otherwise the battery is perfectly working, who changes a perfectly working battery? And yet one fine day it'll completely stop working.

Service centre says new battery is close to 12k. I'm sure Excide/ Amaron will be much cheaper, but will they fit perfectly with all the fabricated connectors is the question!
Old 25th October 2021, 11:10   #4989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Battery of my Octavia 2 Tdi gave up one fine morning without any warning signs.
VAG Dead Battery Society .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Service centre says new battery is close to 12k. I'm sure Excide/ Amaron will be much cheaper, but will they fit perfectly with all the fabricated connectors is the question!
No fabricated connectors in the 1.8TSI's battery luckily. The Exide DIN60 version fits perfectly and cost me around 6K in 2019. BUT Skoda will record it as a non-standard fitment in their service records. Having said this, it should not be an issue though unless you have modded the electrical-related bits in your car, and Skoda conveniently blames you for any warranty-related issues.
Old 25th October 2021, 11:43   #4990

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Android Headunit : Now the stock headunit was looking outdated in otherwise a very well laid out cabin. Upgraded to 10 inch android head unit (4/64) with wireless apple car play and also integrated reverse camera. The cabin is now very modern and matches the new cars. Works seamlessly.
Hi, could you share more details about the head unit upgrade you carried out? Have been exploring this upgrade to add CarPlay functionality.

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2021, 12:16   #4991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfu67 View Post
Hi, could you share more details about the head unit upgrade you carried out? Have been exploring this upgrade to add CarPlay functionality.

Thanks.
Got it done from Evo Bangalore. Check this link, its review of my car upgrade.
Happy to help with any further query

Old 25th October 2021, 12:19   #4992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

Service centre says new battery is close to 12k.
My final bill after installation was 11969. Battery cost is 11,110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
BUT Skoda will record it as a non-standard fitment in their service records. Having said this, it should not be an issue though unless you have modded the electrical-related bits in your car, and Skoda conveniently blames you for any warranty-related issues.
That is what I was told on non quotable basis. Non Skoda battery of the correct specification should not be a problem. But for automatics, if at all there is a problem with the DSG, the first thing company will go around looking for is non-standard fitments.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:15   #4993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But for automatics, if at all there is a problem with the DSG, the first thing company will go around looking for is non-standard fitments.
Usual scaremongering by Skoda . They changed my DSG free of cost at 4 years & 55K km.
Old 1st November 2021, 20:54   #4994
BHPian

Bought a used Black 1.8 TSi DSG 2019, which has run only 7k km
Sort of a lateral upgrade from the Kia Seltos. I have not sold the Seltos yet. Had a blast with it on the highway. Should have bought the car in 2019.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy1.jpg
Black would be difficult to maintain, but I am ready for it.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_3455.jpg

I am sure this question has been asked a million times and there has been discussion in the thread about the same. However asking for the sake of an updated discussion taking in to consideration the currently available options.
The quintessential question - "Tyre upgrade"

The Goodyear Eagles are doing okay. It does feel a bit insecure at speeds. Alignment has been checked, and it is perfect. They have already done 7k km, so I wont be getting anything on exchange. I would like to retain stock alloys and dont want to mess up the warranty. Moreover I would like the ride to be a bit on the softer side. Would have loved more grip from the 16 inchers. Discussed with a few friends

Options are
225/55/R16 on stock L & K rims - Is that possible ? - No much options - Continental / Bridgestone Turanza / Hankook Ventus. I would like this as the Octavia looks a bit too "meek and flat" on 205/55. There is a huge gap between the tyre and the wheel arch as well.
215/55/R16 on stock rims - Pirelli vs Michelin Primacy 4 (difficult to source)
205/55/R16 - Stock size on stock rims - Michelin PS4 vs Primacy

Another option is to run another 10k in the stock tyres, upgrade the rims to 17" (the superb sport / VRS / MOMO etc. ) and shod them with PS4 / Primacy 4ST.
I would prefer to stick with the stock alloys though.

Last edited by sandygordon : 1st November 2021 at 21:04.
sandygordon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 22:55   #4995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought a used Black 1.8 TSi DSG 2019, which has run only 7k km
Sort of a lateral upgrade from the Kia Seltos.

Another option is to run another 10k in the stock tyres, upgrade the rims to 17" (the superb sport / VRS / MOMO etc. ) and shod them with PS4 /
Congratulations, you have found a very well maintained car. The first photo is drool worthy. Octavia is clearly a segment above Seltos, in all the parameters.

On tyre upsize 225/55/16 is wrong and 215/55/16 will make your ride more softer than stock. If you want to upsize and maintain the stock rim 225/50/16 is the right upgrade but the challenge is getting tyres in this size and also Octavia wheels are 6J which is smaller for 225. I had run 225/50/16 for couple of years in PS3 but had early tyre damage due to 6J rims. And did not get a replacement tyres when I wanted and went back to stock.

Another option is to stay with stock and go for PS4. You will still find a lot of improvements over Goodyear.

But the best option is to upsize the wheels to 17 inches. Octavia begs for 17 inch with 225 which will totally transform the looks. Also you will find a lot of difference in the cornering and high speed stability. Also I feel the stock Octavia alloys are pretty boring.

Though I had done my alloys upgrade after warranty (mine has only 4 years warranty), but if I was buying one within warranty now, I would have straight away upsized the wheels and upgraded the suspension
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks