Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 13:07   #991
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Kudos to you Shashi JI

MSIL COULD NOT IMPLEMENT YOUR AUTO DIMMING IRVM IN NEW XL6 !!!

You XL6 still remains one of its kind in India (Probably Globally)

Last edited by MAKMADDY17 : 21st April 2022 at 13:37.
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:41   #992
BHPian

Hey Shashi!
Any plans on upgrading your XL6 with parts/features from the new one?
umohan98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:21   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Hey Shashi!
Any plans on upgrading your XL6 with parts/features from the new one?
Lol, I was expecting someone to come up with this question. TBH, I'm interested in 16 inch alloys, but not changing anytime soon, because I wish to use my current Michelins till end of their life. I'll do that swap around the 3-4 year mark as a mid life facelift.

And, the front windshield is already chipped at many places, if and when it cracks, I'll get it changed with the IR cut stuff the new XL6 gets.

Thus no upgrade from new XL6 in near future.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 20:00   #994

FYI, I am using Motorola MA1 for wireless Android Auto in my XL6 . And it is working great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PQ95GY4...roduct_details

Sadly it is not available here
sachin__ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:25   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin__ View Post
FYI, I am using Motorola MA1 for wireless Android Auto in my XL6 . And it is working great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PQ95GY4...roduct_details

Sadly it is not available here
Hi Sachin,

Thanks for sharing this information. Just wanted to know - What is the connection lag time & are you using Android Auto or Apple Car Play ?

Thanks
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:56   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
Hi Sachin,

Thanks for sharing this information. Just wanted to know - What is the connection lag time & are you using Android Auto or Apple Car Play ?

Thanks
Intial connection time is around 30sec. After that it is smooth operation. I am using Android auto with pixel 6.
Old 25th April 2022, 15:37   #997
BHPian

Hi Shashi,

My XL6 Alpha AT is 1 year old and driven around 6000KM. I am getting a mileage of around 9KM/L.
My driving is 75% in the city with 100% AC on. I am usually a single person in the car and my driving style is sedate.

Please help to suggest if this is the right range of the mileage or some measures can be taken to improve it.

Thanks.
Old 27th April 2022, 20:21   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Hi Shashi,

My XL6 Alpha AT is 1 year old and driven around 6000KM. I am getting a mileage of around 9KM/L.
My driving is 75% in the city with 100% AC on. I am usually a single person in the car and my driving style is sedate.

Please help to suggest if this is the right range of the mileage or some measures can be taken to improve it.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I have very limited experience of that gearbox, but my brother who drives it in Durgapur which has very well managed traffic, gets close to 12-13kmpl max. On highways, it easily returns 18-19kmpl. So if it gives 12kmpl in a city like Durgapur, for Delhi's traffic, 9kmpl seems to be in line. I'd request BHPians like sierrabravo98 who own AT XL6s to pitch in with tips for good FE, if any.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:04   #999
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Hi Shashi,

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
So if it gives 12kmpl in a city like Durgapur, for Delhi's traffic, 9kmpl seems to be in line. I'd request BHPians like sierrabravo98 who own AT XL6s to pitch in with tips for good FE, if any.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Smooth, I am no expert but I would generally concur with Shashi's opinion that 9kmpl is absolutely conceivable(and acceptable) in New Delhi's traffic(I have seen <5kmpl a lot of times). That being said, if you don't mind, I do have a few questions regarding your driving style and route that would give us some insight into the actual situation and help us help you.

1.) What does your typical city commute consist of? Is it the dreaded Central Delhi red-light every 300m type commute or the more free-flowing ring-road/Delhi-Noida/Delhi-Gurgaon type commute? If it is the former, then please tell me how you get 9kmpl In peak office hours, my father's vehicle delivers 5-6kmpl in the stop-go route.

2.) City roads of Delhi are littered with speed-cameras with a speed-limit of 50kmph (the situation has eased a bit on some major routes with speed limits increased to 60kmph). The problem with the XL6's 4AT is that it shifts into its 4th gear (OD) only at 54-55kmph (light throttle). If your vehicle spends majority of its time in the 45-50kmph band, then your FE is bound to suffer a lot (I observed a 3-4kmpl drop over 10km drive when I inadvertently pushed OD OFF button once). So do try do drive above 53kmph wherever possible.

3.) The XL6 AT's FE is very sensitive to the type of throttle input you use. The trick of the game is to gain speed VERY VERY leisurely (no point in racing in Delhi's traffic anyways). Feather the throttle as much as possible while gaining speed.

4.) Out on the highway, if you follow the above style and don't cross 90-95kmph (and are lucky with traffic), you ought to easily get 19-20kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Damn. I'm getting a mileage of 8KMPL in Mumbai and 14KMPL on highways. How do u manage to get these figures? Any tips? Should I get my car checked?
Hi Nitesh, quoting your post on Shashi's thread because you had a similar question. I don't have much experience about Mumbai other than that it's traffic is generally (and I may be wrong so please feel free to correct me) not as free-flowing as Delhi. That being said, other points I wrote above ought to be valid for every XL6 4AT so I hope they prove to be of some help to you.

P.S: Attaching a few frame-grabs (video taken more than an year back) to illustrate my point about the wildly varying FE of the AT (the 10.4kmpl figure is from a red-light every 300m drive). I have configured the FE meter to reset after every tank-fill and I find those figures to be very accurate and similar to those obtained via tank-full to tank-full calculations (within 0.1/0.2kmpl).
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-xl6fe.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20210513_181137825-1.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-xl6fe2.jpg  

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 27th April 2022 at 22:21. Reason: Adding something
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 18:32   #1000
BHPian

I own a XL6 4AT since Aug 2021 and have never crossed 9.7kmpl on the display nor by calculation ( I do full tank to full tank check). My driving is mostly within city with AC on, in Bangalore, and the traffic at the moment is not as bad as Delhi/Mumbai, also because of the time of my drive and the route. I'm also baffled by some of the fuel consumption figures posted on this forum and I've always wondered why I'm not able to achieve those kind of figures. Will try the 55+ kmph technique whenever possible.
Is this normal is still my question?
B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 23:58   #1001

Hi,

I own a XL6 Zeta MT since Sep 2021. My daily commute is normally limited to 5-10 kms as my office is very near to my home.

In the winters... I used to get around 14kmpl on my office commute which is filled with mostly heavy traffic and annoying e rickshaws. However, on longer streches of 15-20 kms the mileage used to go up to 16kmpl.

Its a different story in summer with AC on and the figures are 10kmpl on smaller commute and 13kmpl on longer ones.

I happened to go on a highway trip in the past week and got a FE of 15kmpl.

PS: I have gone for a 6 month regular checkup at MASS and since then the mileage has gone south. I dont know whether they can screw up the mileage during check up or using the AC has affected the mileage.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th April 2022 at 00:37. Reason: Extra smiley
Old 29th April 2022, 04:31   #1002
BHPian

I have Ertiga AT petrol 2019 and i have posted my word on FE here earlier. Where i used to get nearly 9kmpl in city traffic has dropped to 7.2kmpl after firmware update. I try to maintain speed so that the FE bar is above the Current FE indicator as much as possible. If I get good stretches then by this method the FE increases by 0.2. All said and done, this 7kmpl is really eye watering with current petrol price in Bangalore hovering around 111. Should I raise a formal complaint directly with Maruti customer care? If anyone has any contacts, please do share. Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 29th April 2022, 08:06   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

^ If you have noticed a change in vehicle's performance post a software update you should check however here is some perspective.

While driving my relative's Honda Brio recently I noticed that the mileage is showing up as 13 kmpl which to me is not possible for an ivtec given its poor city driveability. I realised that the trip meter was not reset in the last 8000 kms or perhaps 5 years of its use which was mostly outstation trips.

After I reset the trip meter we got the real mileage for Hot summer , Bangalore traffic, 5 adults and some luggage - 8.3 kmpl. There is nothing wrong with that car at all.
Old 29th April 2022, 16:20   #1004
BHPian

Thanks Shashi and sierrabravo99. Good to know that I am not alone with these mileage figures. There are so many high figures posted everywhere that make me confused that what wrong I am doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Hi Smooth, I am no expert but I would generally concur with Shashi's opinion that 9kmpl is absolutely conceivable(and acceptable) in New Delhi's traffic(I have seen <5kmpl a lot of times). That being said, if you don't mind, I do have a few questions regarding your driving style and route that would give us some insight into the actual situation and help us help you.

1.) What does your typical city commute consist of? Is it the dreaded Central Delhi red-light every 300m type commute or the more free-flowing ring-road/Delhi-Noida/Delhi-Gurgaon type commute? If it is the former, then please tell me how you get 9kmpl In peak office hours, my father's vehicle delivers 5-6kmpl in the stop-go route.
My usual commute is from West Delhi to Gurgaon so it is a mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic and some free flow stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
2.) City roads of Delhi are littered with speed-cameras with a speed-limit of 50kmph (the situation has eased a bit on some major routes with speed limits increased to 60kmph). The problem with the XL6's 4AT is that it shifts into its 4th gear (OD) only at 54-55kmph (light throttle). If your vehicle spends majority of its time in the 45-50kmph band, then your FE is bound to suffer a lot (I observed a 3-4kmpl drop over 10km drive when I inadvertently pushed OD OFF button once). So do try do drive above 53kmph wherever possible.
Very aptly said that with so many speed cameras in Delhi it is difficult to do any spirited driving as well. Thanks for the valuable tip I will try to stay in around 55kmph speed range.

19.1 km/l Amazing stuff...
Old 29th April 2022, 17:46   #1005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
I have Ertiga AT petrol 2019 and i have posted my word on FE here earlier. Where i used to get nearly 9kmpl in city traffic has dropped to 7.2kmpl after firmware update. I try to maintain speed so that the FE bar is above the Current FE indicator as much as possible. If I get good stretches then by this method the FE increases by 0.2. All said and done, this 7kmpl is really eye watering with current petrol price in Bangalore hovering around 111. Should I raise a formal complaint directly with Maruti customer care? If anyone has any contacts, please do share. Any suggestions are welcome!
I have XL6 MT

During 3rd free service, they updated ECU firmware. Since then, the fuel economy dropped by around 1.5 to 2 kmpl (previously 13-14 kmpl in city, and now 11-12 kmpl in city)

I did take the car to the service centre. They connected the scanner for diagnostics, and everything was fine in the scan.

The one visible sign I have seen is that since the ECU update, the SVHS battery rarely charges up to 4 blocks in the information display. And never to 5 blocks. Before the ECU update, it was common for the battery to charge up to 4 blocks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th June 2022 at 02:04. Reason: Typos, please proofread before posting.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks