Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 08:49   #76
BHPian

DI Rocks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
As a DI Turbo owner I too vote for the DI. But then i haven't driven the CRDE yet. Just came back from a pleasant 2000 Km trip. My cruising speed was 90-100kmph. The overtaking is not that bad as long as you don't overtake like those cabbies and bus drivers. Keep it in the powerband and you'll enjoy it.
I'll choose the DI any day over the VLX, its proven ruggedness n robust engine are the plus'es u'll never ever find in these CRDE engines. CRDE engines do have an edge of smoother sounds n low harshnes, but are a delicate lot. They require good quality fuel, adultrated fuel will ruin them. Advantages of DI engine

1). No heater/glow plugs - no tension of getting them replaces if they screw up
2). No timing belt like those in crde engines - no tension getting them replaced every 50,000 or so.
3). No complicated system like that in crde engines, too much fuss about ECU n all that, its a good honest basic engine which will deliver no matter what n absorb whatever u throw at it.
4). Avilability of spare parts n a mechanic at every nook n corner, repair cheap n easily available.

I could have gone for the crde had i wanted as when i bought the SLX, the VLX was about to be launched soon, but i reasoned that VLX still was going to be new n could have some issues which normally the company solves later on, while the M2DI has proven itself doing years of service without ever groaning. And i bless my common sense n wisdom that i selected the SLX. Its a gem, no doubt it doesnt match the softness of CRV or higher end crde engines, but it was never meant to compete with them. Its a simple honest machine, which will never let u down evn in the middle of night. I like to take control of my machine, so when i pump the acc. pedal , it goes, but in the crde, the computer does the acceleration 4u, no matter how hard u push the accelarator, it will accelerate slowly. plus it kinda dies in low gears n low speed. Ask me today n i'll evn pay more n again get the SLX instead of VLX if i have to. And its not all that bad too on the highway too as all say, u just have to drive it in its power band, thats all. It takes a bit getting used to but after u drive it a couple of times on the highway u get the hang of it n then on its smooth n easy.
DIE HARD FAN OF THE BOLERO N THE DI ENGINE !!
Old 13th March 2009, 09:31   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
OK Guys - am getting 8kmpl in city and 11 in highway. Completed 2200km. Hopefully it will improve a bit after 1st service (5000km). Another thing I have noticed is - its using more engine coolant compared to my older one. Is it a CRDe feature or new engine?
8 kmpl? Thats a bit less. In my old IDI i still manage 10 kmpl in city with AC.

Another VLX owner has the same complaint of lesser mileage then his earlier IDI Bolero. But it has been getting better as the miles are getting logged in.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:36   #78
BHPian

Who is he? Is he here in team-bhp? Can I contact him?

Yes - I used to get 10kmpl in city on my IDI too. But I have noticed is - within city when the daily commute (home - office) was longer say 30km I get better mileage. When my daily commute is less - say 9km I get less mileage. Add to that traffic jams. And my engine is continously on with A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Another VLX owner has the same complaint of lesser mileage then his earlier IDI Bolero. But it has been getting better as the miles are getting logged in.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think its too early to judge on the mileage part, the engine is still new and i think you still have to get used to this vehicle.

Quote:

Yes - I used to get 10kmpl in city on my IDI too. But I have noticed is - within city when the daily commute (home - office) was longer say 30km I get better mileage. When my daily commute is less - say 9km I get less mileage. Add to that traffic jams. And my engine is continously on with A/C.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:35   #80
BHPian

Yes - almost got used to it - already done 3400km. Lets see how it behaves after 1st service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I think its too early to judge on the mileage part, the engine is still new and i think you still have to get used to this vehicle.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:47   #81
jp1
BHPian

Precise to the point, Overtaking on a busy highway is difficult with IDI engine.
Quote:
Hi desertfox

I had a Bolero GLX with IDI engine. I won't call it "gasping for power or out of breath " but.. say a slow truck at 40 - 50kmph. I approach it at 80kmph - slow down - tail it - let the opposite vehicle pass thru - and then I wanna overtake - but there is one more vehicle approaching . In this scenerio I found the Bolero slow. even down shifting does not help

Or say the approachin vehicle is at visual distance but fast - I don't feel confident overtakin the truck.

No offence to you or anyone with Bolero - but I feel even Maruti 800 is faster then my older Bolero in overtaking.

But now with CRDe - I can do it easily and confidently.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:28   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately no. I just spoke to him. Heavy user, already clocked 10k+ kms. City - 40% Highway - 60%.

Highway mileage - tankful to tankful - 14 kmpl - 100% highway - Bangalore - Mumbai trip done at night/day - 50% AC.

Bangalore/Mumbai City with AC on gets around 8-10 kmpl. Not seen going beyond 10 kmpl.

Driveability on the highways is much much better - managed to shave off about 2 -3 hours off his time compared to an IDI before. Used to 90-100 kmph before now increased to 120-130 kmph. Speedo ofcourse.

The vehicle is stock - stock tyres, stock rims. No modifications.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Unfortunately no. I just spoke to him. Heavy user, already clocked 10k+ kms. City - 40% Highway - 60%.

Highway mileage - tankful to tankful - 14 kmpl - 100% highway - Bangalore - Mumbai trip done at night/day - 50% AC.

Bangalore/Mumbai City with AC on gets around 8-10 kmpl. Not seen going beyond 10 kmpl.
Sounds good. Came to reserve today. Got 8.90kmpl in city. Will wait for 1st service to check out the highway mileage

[quote= Driveability on the highways is much much better - managed to shave off about 2 -3 hours off his time compared to an IDI before. Used to 90-100 kmph before now increased to 120-130 kmph. Speedo ofcourse.
[/quote]

This is exactly why I bought the VLX. Highway cruising time as come down comfortably.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:57   #84
BHPian

Hi Maheep

I agree with most of the points but not sure about the "delicate" part. CRDe has been doing duty in the Scorpio for long enuf time now.

Secondly any Bolero will need replacement of some parts at 50,000km if not the timing belt. So to each his won.

I had a Bolero GLX - with IDI engine - sold it at 53,000km. so this new one needs some time getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Its a simple honest machine, which will never let u down evn in the middle of night.
I agree. Will keep you updated if my CRDe lets me down.

Quote:
I like to take control of my machine, so when i pump the acc. pedal , it goes, but in the crde, the computer does the acceleration 4u, no matter how hard u push the accelerator, it will accelerate slowly.
Philosophically it sounds OK but technically its the reverse. In my older Bolero (IDI) and new DI - if the push the acc - specially in highway - it does not move but the new CRDe moves.

In fact get hold of the older IDI (72bhp) and test drive it - It was much better than the present DI but mileage was low

Earlier in this thread I also commented that olbder Bolero was more jeep like and this one is more car like.

Quote:
plus it kinda dies in low gears n low speed.
Yes. happened to me in initial 1000km but now its much better and i have also got used to it. The gear ratios are very different on CRDe. They are much more taller.

Quote:
I'll choose the DI any day over the VLX, its proven ruggedness n robust engine are the plus'es u'll never ever find in these CRDE engines. CRDE engines do have an edge of smoother sounds n low harshnes, but are a delicate lot. .
DIE HARD FAN OF THE BOLERO N THE DI ENGINE !!
Old 13th March 2009, 19:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maheep

I agree with most of the points but not sure about the "delicate" part. CRDe has been doing duty in the Scorpio for long enuf time now.

Secondly any Bolero will need replacement of some parts at 50,000km if not the timing belt. So to each his won.

I had a Bolero GLX - with IDI engine - sold it at 53,000km. so this new one needs some time getting used to.

I agree. Will keep you updated if my CRDe lets me down.

Philosophically it sounds OK but technically its the reverse. In my older Bolero (IDI) and new DI - if the push the acc - specially in highway - it does not move but the new CRDe moves.

In fact get hold of the older IDI (72bhp) and test drive it - It was much better than the present DI but mileage was low

Earlier in this thread I also commented that olbder Bolero was more jeep like and this one is more car like.

Yes. happened to me in initial 1000km but now its much better and i have also got used to it. The gear ratios are very different on CRDe. They are much more taller.

Rocky, when i said delicate i dint mean too much delicate, but in comparison to the DI, they are. The Hyundai Accent CRDI had major issues with its Common Rail engine, saw too many of them standing in garages with their hoods open n engine blocks apart, reason? According to the mechanics these common rail engines are better suited to the clean fuel available in other countries, in a country like India, where finding a good quality non adulterated diesel was an issue in itself, these common rails succumb finally after a time to Diesel mixed with kerosene & water etc. At 50,000 or even before if any car needs some spares its understood, any car will need those in normal running. But the thing is, this 1 will need after standing more abuse than others, body/suspension (mostly same in SLX & VLX), plus excellent engine n drive train of DI. And when it needs it, they are available at any spare parts shop, and any mechanic can fix basic things, which are not more than occasionally tightening some belts or maybe some suspension repair/replacement etc, major damage such as engine will happen at 50,000 only if its ur fault/negligence, such as overheating or not changing engine oil etc. When its a basic engine, many things can be fixed by a normal enthusiast like me at home only, everything is so neatly laid there under the hood, each part u can see individually, if theres any leakage its so easily visible, i mean just its so simple!! Unlike when u open these complicated crde's, there a big plastic cladding covering the engine, hiding all the details under it, n even if they were visible, u would'nt be able to know anything, as its not a job of a layman or an ordinary mechanic to handle any kind of complication, u'll have to, or u would preffer to go to the agency/ authorized dealer to get it fixed !! Thats all i mean, unnecessary complications. I might be wrong, every one has their perspective, thats how i see it. IDI was also good, but i think mileage was an issue, and pickup problem was in that1 too, plus it was a regular engine with glow plugs and timing belt, so in DI all these maintainable things too were eradicated. Overall i'm a satisfied customer of the Bolero SLX. The things they do need to work upon though are absence of a front defogger, a little increase in power in the DI itself, better utilization of interior space, less leg space in back and non existent space at end 2 seats. Other than that love they way it handles (very low body roll), excellent power steering, i dont feel it being over assisted at higher speeds, maybe i'm used to it. At the end of the day if i want a jeep, i want it to behave like a jeep, not a car. Well enough said now, will wait 4ur response
Old 14th March 2009, 01:47   #86
BHPian

@maheep007, pretty much the thoughts i had when i decided on the SLE.
Like you mentioned earlier, it was NEVER meant for racing.

Old 16th March 2009, 15:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yup I buy your point.
I would be wary of fording streams or mid-deep water in my scorp crde but I have done so without a care in my old gen XD3PU Bolero,only taking care to keep my engine revs higher than normal and in First gear only.
Crde is all very well but theres a lot to be said for that basic Diesel chugger of an engine.
With all those frekin sensors i'd be afraid to push it in any unusual circumstances myself, and if u talk about actual old time diesels (non crde), u would not care or give a damn if u push it to its limit, in deep water/whatever, all u rem is to keep the air filter n exhaust above water level, or if the exhaust is under water then drive it in low gear but RPM'S should be high so that wather does not enter the exhaust. Thats all there is to it, nice n easy , tough n hardy, is there a comparison between these 2? Forget about the sissy alarms n n a sissy low noised "silent engine", is this what ur looking 4 ina rugged jeep/Uv??? Personally i like the grunt and noise of the DI, its a kind of masculine thing about it, naked hinges, engine clatter, its a jeep!!!! What ru looking 4??? a smooth, soft , sophisticated thing?? Go 4a a car, ur not worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th March 2009, 18:36   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Personally i like the grunt and noise of the DI, its a kind of masculine thing about it, naked hinges, engine clatter, its a jeep!!!! What ru looking 4??? a smooth, soft , sophisticated thing?? Go 4a a car, ur not worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Passionate no doubt but slightly misplaced.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:41   #89
BHPian

Hi there, I was searching all the Bolero-related threads to post my gripe and this one seemed like the closest match.

I'm a small-car guy who's just had a Bolero Crde forced down his throat. And as I had feared, after reading this thread it's become clear to me that folks who drive Boleros are usually the hard-core jeeper dudes. So what I want to know is how does a guy like me get upto speed on the technicalities of driving a bolero?!! I would prefer a ten commandments-like list of dos & don'ts.

My previous ride is an Estilo with alloy wheels, tubeless tyres and Green Cotton filter - which I like revving & ripping on my long drives to Calicut. By the way, I've been given the Bolero because I need to travel every weekend from Bangalore to Gudalur (Tamil Nadu). I don't have the vehicle as yet since it is still in Calicut for registration and will be picking it up this weekend. It's a new one costing Rs.6.78 Lac (on road).
Old 16th March 2009, 20:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you will like whats forced down your throat...ahem!

Most Viewed