Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:04   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968chensaro View Post
Generally I refill my Fiesta TDCi up to the brim and also only after the low fuel indicator starts glowing.

Refilling upto the brim consumes approximately 46-47 litres. Assuming that 3-4 litres of fuel inside the tank, I can confidently say that the tank size is 50 litres when fuel is filled till brim level.
+

Fuel tank capacity -45 litres, thats what Ford confirms.

If one see the owners manuel, following warning regarding refuelling has given:

''Stop refuelling after the fuel nozzle stop the second time. Additional fuel will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank which could lead to fuel overflowing..''?
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:05   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations, you are the first Ford owner to claim a 55 ltr tank. DTE showing 80, fresh filling showing 38 ltrs, auto-cut-off potential of another 5 ltrs empty space, all put together, its defenitely not a 45 ltr tank.
I guess I should be happy then.
External filling: 38 ltrs
DTE (80-60): 5 ltrs
Filled fuel lines: 2-3 ltrs
Total: 46 ltrs approx.
Approx kms run till next refuel: 550 min
Avg km/l: 550/38=14.5 approx.
I am loving it. Go fida.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:39   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I dont know whether to agree with you or not. I normally fill when the low fuel indicator comes on i.e DTE reading below 80. I ask the attendant to go for tank full. The nozzle latch gets unlatched when the meter reads around 38+ lts. Thats it, stop refueling & close the fuel lid and when I switch the engine on the DTE reads 580. Now does this qualify for a 55 lts tank, I dont know.
I generally used to get a reading of 480 on the DTE while tanking up. But after my long trip to Bombay 2 years back, I got a reading of 620 or so after tanking up, soon after my return. I suppose that was correct as I was driving mostly without AC at speeds of 90 to 110.

From around year 2 of ownership, the DTE showed 500 to 520. But after my recent trip abroad, it never showed more than 480. I am curious to see the DTE when I tank up tomorrow,as I've had a few high speed runs to the airport and office in non-peak hours.
The reading last evening was 120 after reaching home, and remained the same after reaching office today, though it had gone down to 105 while nearing my office. I guess driving without AC at speeds around 60 to 90 bumped it up.
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:29   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess driving without AC at speeds around 60 to 90 bumped it up.
Yes, average mileage without the AC would be definitely impressive (may be 14 within the city). I dont remember driving more than 2 kms without AC at any given time or climate, it remains ON even in the heavy rains to avoid the fogging on windscreen.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:22   #440
Senior - BHPian

I felt overall the FE of Fiesta is very good.
I too used to get 15/16 kmpl in highway with 100pct a/c (maintaining a speed around 80/90kmph). When I was driving from Krishnagiri to Chennai ( couple of months back) I was averaging a speed of 120kmph but I realised the FE around 11/12 kmpl with A/c knob on 1. So higher the speed, lower FE?
Old 6th July 2010, 09:10   #441
Senior - BHPian

The FE's I am able to achieve are with AC operating for 50% of my drives. I normally go for blower speed 2 initially and once it starts to chill switch to speed 1. Also make it a point to switch off AC when idle at signals or picking up in first gear.
I think it helps a lot to contribute for the FE.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:03   #442
BHPian

One query here. In an Automatic AC, of course a thermostat would kick in every once in a while to regulate the temperature. But in manual ACs like we have in Fiestas, does the compressor ever switch itself off? I have never noticed it happening (I know because when the compressor is off it becomes fairly clear from the not-so-cold air that the blowers pump out). Like today it was raining all the way during a 45 min trip and the car got quite cold, but the compressor never switched itself off.

So is that where that dial comes in handy, which has gradations from Dark Blue to Dark Red? Would the thermostat kick in if we put that dial at say, medium blue?
Old 6th July 2010, 10:07   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also make it a point to switch off AC when idle at signals or picking up in first gear.
I think it helps a lot to contribute for the FE.
+
I think, switching Off and On A/c often consume more fuel than normal?
Dont you think so?
Old 6th July 2010, 10:11   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
One query here. In an Automatic AC, of course a thermostat would kick in every once in a while to regulate the temperature. But in manual ACs like we have in Fiestas, does the compressor ever switch itself off? I have never noticed it happening (I know because when the compressor is off it becomes fairly clear from the not-so-cold air that the blowers pump out). Like today it was raining all the way during a 45 min trip and the car got quite cold, but the compressor never switched itself off.

So is that where that dial comes in handy, which has gradations from Dark Blue to Dark Red? Would the thermostat kick in if we put that dial at say, medium blue?
The compressor does not automatically switch off and does only when you switch off the AC. Once done when the temp inside drops you feel the "not so cold air". To switch the compressor ON again you have to switch the AC button again.
The markings on the AC dial indicate the level of coolness of the air inside the cabin and moving it from extreme blue to medium blue just decreased the coldness of the air but would advise from using it. Better to use the AC switch and the blower speed switch to regulate the coldness. The steps to get an effective AC has been mentioned in the Fiesta Owners thread started by Nair sir. Would suggest to follow that method, have been doing so since purchase and never had any issues.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:19   #445
BHPian

Thanks for pointing out ghodlur! Found that post, very useful Nairrk, thanks for that. I myself couldn't figure out why the defogger wouldn't work quickly. Guess moving away from recirculate mode will help.

But I am still confused about the dark blue - dark red knob.

Quote:
-'Heater Control Lever' should be kept at lower (extreme left position).
Even with one notch towards right, hot air starts mixing with cool air,
and reduces the cooling effect.
But I use the AC in recirculate mode. So how will any hot air get mixed?
Old 6th July 2010, 12:06   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Thanks for pointing out ghodlur! Found that post, very useful Nairrk, thanks for that. I myself couldn't figure out why the defogger wouldn't work quickly. Guess moving away from recirculate mode will help.

But I am still confused about the dark blue - dark red knob.

But I use the AC in recirculate mode. So how will any hot air get mixed?
Hot air will mix only if you turn the temperature control knob from blue level (cold) to Red level(Warm). Otherwise (maintaining always in cold level) you will get only cold recirculated air.
Keep the temperature control knob always in blue (minimum)level, unless you drive to a place where the outside temperature is very low, then you may need some warm condition inside the car and that time you can change knob to red (warm). In this condition, you need not to put the a/c on, instead just switch on the blower and then the red level - you will get the hot air from engine.?
Old 6th July 2010, 12:57   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Hot air will mix only if you turn the temperature control knob from blue level (cold) to Red level(Warm). Otherwise (maintaining always in cold level) you will get only cold recirculated air.
Keep the temperature control knob always in blue (minimum)level, unless you drive to a place where the outside temperature is very low, then you may need some warm condition inside the car and that time you can change knob to red (warm). In this condition, you need not to put the a/c on, instead just switch on the blower and then the red level - you will get the hot air from engine.?
Nair Sir,
In that case instead of the rotary dial, a two position switch should have been there, This would have taken care the requirement of either cold or hot. Since the rotary dial is provided, I too have experimented a lot on the temperature setting but nothing beats the settings you have provided. I am very much comfortable with that. Instead of blower postions of 2, 1, off there should have been 2, 1.5, 1, 0.5, off for better controls.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:23   #448
Senior - BHPian

That blue/red knob is sometimes helpful when it rains. Normally the windscreen gets foggy on the inner surface in rains, and switching the AC on gets rid of that fog on the screen.

But as the AC in the Fiesta is super-effective, it sometimes leads to mist on the outer surface of the windscreen--it happens when the AC runs for a long time in rains. Wiperd generally dispose of that fog, but sometimes we would need to equalise the temperature inside the car with that outside. This is when turning the red knob a wee bit towards red will help, though how much to turn would vary from case to case.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:59   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That blue/red knob is sometimes helpful when it rains. Normally the windscreen gets foggy on the inner surface in rains, and switching the AC on gets rid of that fog on the screen.

But as the AC in the Fiesta is super-effective, it sometimes leads to mist on the outer surface of the windscreen--it happens when the AC runs for a long time in rains. Wiperd generally dispose of that fog, but sometimes we would need to equalise the temperature inside the car with that outside. This is when turning the red knob a wee bit towards red will help, though how much to turn would vary from case to case.
Thats it. I was wondering why there was mist formation on the outside windscreen which was seen whenever the wipers used to operate, particularly when there was a slight drizzle and the wiper speed kept at intermittent level. Did want to look stupid by putting the query on forum, I guess Vnabhi's answer solved it.
BTW I normally move to blower speed no 1 from 2 within a very short span of time. I guess in blower#1 also the AC is so powerful that it causes mist on the outside screen.
To get better rear view during the rains on the rear wind shield, I normally keep the AC on till the mist is formed on the rear winshield and then switch off the AC putting the de-fogger on for a few secs. The rear view improves by a good 50%. Words for me, has anyone tried this.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:10   #450
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi - yes, the heater (red knob) has also the function/use as explained by you
(to get rid of the mist forming outer surface of the windscreen and also the window glasses).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks