Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 04:25   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Sanju, the idle RPM and the changes after some drive is normal. I had the same doubt on the first week I took delivery. You need to worry only if the idle RPM shows above 1.5 mark (which shows a need for tuning). Hope you are also aware that our MPFI cars can move (below 10kmph I think) on the 1st gear and 2nd gear without touching the accelerator pedal.
I posted the illuminated pictures since Gilead requested for it to compare with his S..but he seems to be busy rooting for Figo currently.

Regarding the rpm just wanted to cross check with other Fiesta owners if the ~900 rpm is normal for Fiesta (I guess it varies among diff brands/models/engine types).

Yes..I know about the 1st/2nd gear thing (had posted in our dead thread about the same) and use it extensively within slow moving traffic.
==============

Tanked up yday night..with tankfull-2-tankfull algorithm, FE came to 8.9 (350.8 Kms, 39.6 litres)..fully within city, >100% A/C - 1st 2 minutes with windows slightly open to let in fresh air, 50% fully loaded combined with >2K rpm shifting, ~20-30 secs idling before ignition off..I think my MS is on quite good diet control.
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:09   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

@sanjay:
I notice the DTE and idle RPM changes on our fiesta and galant as well.
The reason for the change in the idle RPM is because when the engine is cold, the RPM stays higher than usual initially till operating temperature is reached. This is to help the engine warm up for optimum drive ability and life.
Also, the DTE fluctuates according to the way the car is driven, given the traffic conditions and everything.
It is the same case with our fiesta and skoda, and is nothing to worry about. Its main function is to tell you how much you can drive your car more till the gas tank empties based on the way you are driving it right now, and should not be used as an estimation of your FE.

Edit: Shaju - It would be a cause to worry if your idle RPM drops below 600-700 when the car is warm, and the engine starts jerking and stalling due to this. However, an injector clean up would solve the issue. Also, if the RPM is around 1.5K when the car is started up, it is normal as well. However, if the engine is warm and the idle RPM is over 1K, then it is an issue.
This also differs from car to car. Our Galant V6 idles at 1.5K - 1.7K when the engine is cold and goes down to 800-900 when warmed, and the engine is in top condition.

Last edited by lamborghini : 2nd April 2010 at 05:12.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:17   #408
Senior - BHPian

Completed 2nd service yesterday.
Odometer reads 4374 kms.

No problems so far hence did not give any list of complaints to the workshop.

The bill reads as:

4.5Litre oil - Rs.1100
oil Filter Rs. 320
Labour for service - FREE

Engine Care - Rs.350 (some treatment done with waxol product and all engine
compartment is now shining. they says that dust/mud will not accumulate because of this treatment and even if find trace of dust/mud which will go with a normal water wash - will have to check it after a drive through bad/muddy roads?!). The engine compartment looks very fresh and new look like.

They cleaned the interior (stain marks on the seat and trim etc).

No complaints !
Old 15th June 2010, 11:25   #409
Senior - BHPian

Bringing back my thread after a long time!

Found some strange behaviour lately.

I have not driven the car for last 20days and the car is just kept idle except that I used to start the engine and keep running it for 5/10 minutes once in every 3 or 4 days.

Its been raining heavily (very heavily and non-stop) for the last 3/4 days.

two days back I started the engine (DTE shown before ignition as 165) and put on the A/C. The DTE started fluctuating heavily (sometime it came down to 80 and gone upto 175). After some time I switched off the engine and DTE came back to 155/156 levels.

Today, again I took the car out of the parking area and washed her (with running rain water). After drying the car body, I started the engine. The DTE shown as 160. I switched on the A/C, the DTE came down to 135. I put on the audio and just watching the DTE reading. at one stage it came down to 65 and in the same time the low fuel indicator also started glowing. I switched off the Audio and A/C and finally the engine. Again moved the key into start position (but did not start the engine), the DTE gone to 160, low fule warning light gone off and other thing that I have noticed was that the fuel gauge needle also going up from the last position (when the dte was 65).

I know that DTE is just approximate reading and it will fluctuate depends on various conditions, but anyone think that the fuel gauge needle also move up and down and may be because of that the low fuel warning light comes up?

Is it because of cold surrounding/cold engine etc??

Any explanations?
Old 15th June 2010, 11:41   #410
Senior - BHPian

Nair sir,

It seems you recently found out the issue which I have been trying to understand since I brought my Fiesta. Even I was zapped when both the DTE and the fuel needle moved in tandem, I had mentioned in one of the post in Fiesta owner thread which you had started. I had asked the Ford guys during the servicing but they said they are two different sensors for the same but somehow I felt thats no the case.
The fluctuating DTE is a pain in the neck and irritates you when the figures start to dance even though you have hardly moved.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:09   #411
Senior - BHPian

I know that the DTE fluctuates and never worried about that, but fuel gauge needle also dancing like which means fuel tank sensor is not working fine or some problem in proper sensing because of rainy/cold weather outside??
Anyway, waiting for more comments from members before discussing the issue with the workshop.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:20   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I know that the DTE fluctuates and never worried about that, but fuel gauge needle also dancing like which means fuel tank sensor is not working fine or some problem in proper sensing because of rainy/cold weather outside??
Anyway, waiting for more comments from members before discussing the issue with the workshop.
I have the same exact problem and its been like this for a month now, sometimes its fine otherwise its absolutely crazy. I had this problem sometime back and it go resolved by itself and now it has resurfaced again.

Both the fuel gauge and DTE fluctuate for me as well. One good thing is that both of them are in tandem, when the fuel gauge is more DTE also shows more.
Old 16th June 2010, 06:40   #413
BHPian

Erratic DTE fluctuation (for 65 to 200 to 80 etc) happened to me when sometime back I let the fuel run almost empty( DTE showing <20) and filled up only with some 10litres fuel...Post that I have done 2 tankfulls, and last 10 days or so, DTE is quite stable..in fact best so far. For last 4-5 days, the DTE+Tripmeter shows a contant value of about 360Kms.

Have never noticed the fuel gauge needle fluctuating..when fuel in filled, it goes up, and then it only starts falling down gradually till the next tank fill.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:48   #414
Senior - BHPian

Yes, as I already admitted that I never worried about the DTE reading, but I always follow the low fuel warning lamp. Once it is started glowing, then I will always very watchful. However with DTE coming down, the fuel gauge indicator also coming down and again going up when the key is turned on ON and Off position. It was never happened before (and ofcourse my DTE reading was almost accurate from the begining).
I dont know whether this is anything related to heavy rain/cold weather and the vehicle has been in idle for more than 20 days?? And the sensor in the fuel tank may not be able to ready fuel level?
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:26   #415
Senior - BHPian

Rains are over now (atleast temporarily) and weather is now warm. My DTE is now back in correct reading. I tried yesterday and today - no flucuation of DTE or fuel gauge indicator.
Vehicle idle for few days, heavy rain, wet surroundings, cold atmosphere - all these factors made the DTE/fuel gauge indicator fluctuate heavily - in my car this seems correct.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:30   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Vehicle idle for few days, heavy rain, wet surroundings, cold atmosphere - all these factors made the DTE/fuel gauge indicator fluctuate heavily - .
I really doubt that nair sir. I have experienced the fluctuations in scorching summers, cool winters and heavy rains too. I dont think outside temperature has any role to play in the fluctuations. Vehicle idle for few days may be, but rest of them - Hmm. I feel the fluctations are due to the fuel level sensor in the tank, maybe some deposits on the sensor head or something.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:42   #417
Senior - BHPian

may be you are correct!
But this is happening to me first time since I took delivery of the car (I never had any problem with this DTE reading). I also doubted about the Sensor in the fuel tank which might have failed to read (or sense) the correct fuel level which resulted such fluctuation?
Old 30th June 2010, 08:01   #418
Senior - BHPian

@nair sir

FYI, On Monday my DTE showed 48 when I moved out of my office. I had never gone to that DTE levels before and was quite tensed whether I could make it to the nearest petrol pump. Luckily I did and reached my usual filling spot in Thane, Majiwade and the DTE read 28. Assuming that there was 4 lts of petrol left in the tank, I asked the attendant to full the tank. Guess what, the meter read 38 ltrs when the filler latch was released which means that there was additonal 5-6 lts left in the tank. the DTE showed values otherwise.
Dont know what to make out of the DTE readings. The DTE when I left the bunk read 645.
The last fill to this fill the Fiesta ran 595 kms for the same amount of refuel of 40 lts which means an avg of 14.875
Old 1st July 2010, 12:31   #419
Senior - BHPian

Do not fully depend on DTE readings.
Always watch the Low fuel warning lamp and once it started glowing then you remember that the fuel left in the tank will come for another about 80kms. It is the indication for filling up fuel at the earliest.
DTE readings are only 'approximate' and it will keep fluctuating depending on various conditions.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:14   #420
BHPian

ghodlur, I have pushed my luck till DTE<20 readings...within city of course but it is not advisable to do so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks