Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 18:00   #1921
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I usually upshift at 3000 in the city in a 1.6S. It gets quite noisy at 3000 RPM in the TDCi.
Nah. It gets noisy after 3000 rpm & at 3500, the TDCi gets very noisy.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:16   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Visually, FIGO with 175mm width 14 inchers is the best tyred stock car to look at. Swift looks so rickety and punto gets wider rubber only in higher variants. The i20 too is properly footweared but not exactly a VFM product.

Last edited by ramzsys : 12th April 2010 at 18:17.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:27   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Going by your logic, you can invest the entire amount and travel by public transport. That will make your investments grow even more.
Absolutely. That's the most sane advise posted by you here. Am just waiting for the Chennai Metro Rail to be completed..will love to use the same instead of personal vehicle whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn
Did you mean to say that since you invested 1 lakh more in the Swift that 1 lakh should double to 2 lakh at the end of 5 years. I'm sorry buddy, the Swift is not a money doubling machine, but it won't be a dud in the market 5 years down the line.
You have got it all upside-down! What I meant was the 1 lakh saved if one goes for Figo now, as per current difference in price between Figo/Swift. This 1 lakh saved now will double in 5 yrs. Comparatively, since one has to invest 1 lakh more in Swift now, the resale value difference between Figo/Swift 5 yrs hence should be at least 2 lakhs, to even things out. So, would you want to save 1 lakh today or wait for 5 yrs and hope the resale value difference will be 2 lakhs 5 yrs from now?

Are you getting it now?

Quote:
LOL ! Looks like Ford went to the same crystal ball gazer which is why customers opting for squeeze are being squeezed like a lemon and Ford is starting a second shift on a newly commisioned plant.
While this comment was more in jest, but now since you are bringing it up, let me say, at least Ford is thinking on its feet and taking corrective action within the 1st month of its launch. On the contrary, the waiting period of months for Swift has been for years...so there.

Quote:
I guess Ford fans are feeling bad when the negative aspects of the Figo are being pointed out. All cars have their positives and negatives so learn to take them in your stride. I'm not blinded by love for the Figo so I tend to see both sides of the coin.
Not at all. In fact, going by your various posts either you are pointing out only about the FE (which will depend a lot on one's driving style & other factors) or the resale value (which cannot be predicted with any degree of surety for a 5 year horizon)..other features you are neglecting. What I am just trying to say is any product with a VFM tag, needs to be seen in an overall perspective, which includes its target audience & usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
@sanjayc : Fast Forward to 2014/15

Too difficult to see what happens in 2014/15. To speculate that Swift will have more resale value than Figo in that timeframe, is very presumptive. ...
So, dont expect any of the Petrol / Diesel cars bought today to have much resale value in 2014/2015 timeframe... They would still be on the roads for another 10-15 years.. But reselling them wont fetch too much money....
I guess I am OT, because if I really wanted to buy a Figo (or Swift) I would go ahead and buy it, without worrying too much about 2014/15 timeframe.
Exactly. You just re-emphasized what I tried to point out (pls see my reply above). Even if one neglects the battery-driven cars aspect, the one aspect which drives Maruti resale value is its reach. With other car maker fast catching up and their volumes growing, that advantage will diminish over a long term.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:53   #1924

I have a question here, about Lumbar support for front seats. From the review and a TD, understand that, there is no natural support avl in the front seats. Whereas in the rear seats, they curve out @ the lumbar region.

How are the Figo owners feeling about it... have u felt any discomfort while driving long hours in traffic & highways?

I am anticipating my squeeze to get delivered by this monthend, so if something culd be done to patch tht up, like additional seat covers / padding which can be done, it will be much appreciated.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:23   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
What I am just trying to say is any product with a VFM tag, needs to be seen in an overall perspective, which includes its target audience & usage.
For me, VFM = Value (pricing) + Features + Maintenance/Mileage. I understand that it is difficult for any car to have all these features, but the car that scores highest marks in this formula is my choice of vehicle. In 2008, I purchased the Alto as it was my VFM vehicle. Now, my VFM vehicle would be the Figo (diesel) and Eeco (petrol).
Old 12th April 2010, 19:28   #1926
BANNED

Quote:
Upshift at 2200-2400 if you are a sedate driver. But whatever you do, don't lug the engine.
In my Fiesta 1.4 Duratec (Petrol), I used to upshift at 1800-2000 rpm. But lately, I realized it is a lot more fun to drive if I upshift at 2500 rpm.

A question ---> Will lugging the engine cause any damage (FE drop, etc)?
Old 12th April 2010, 19:50   #1927
BHPian

Jerks while idling

I own Figo TDCi and I have observed that when the engine is idling, after every 10-13 secs it jerks mildly. Is this normal ? If not anything to worry about ?
Old 12th April 2010, 19:52   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesk007 View Post
I have a question here, about Lumbar support for front seats. From the review and a TD, understand that, there is no natural support avl in the front seats. Whereas in the rear seats, they curve out @ the lumbar region.

How are the Figo owners feeling about it... have u felt any discomfort while driving long hours in traffic & highways?

I am anticipating my squeeze to get delivered by this monthend, so if something culd be done to patch tht up, like additional seat covers / padding which can be done, it will be much appreciated.
Prior to Figo I did most of my driving on Accent and lower back pain occurred within an hour. But with Figo I didn't have this problem, at least, not so far.
I would certainly like to add some lumbar support, though.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:56   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
In my Fiesta 1.4 Duratec (Petrol), I used to upshift at 1800-2000 rpm. But lately, I realized it is a lot more fun to drive if I upshift at 2500 rpm.

Hmm, I think I am upshifting a bit early from 1st to 2nd. May be too much worried of not crossing 2.5K RPM during the very early run in stage. Now that I have crossed 250 KM, should try shifting at higher RPMs.

In the T-BHP thread which talks of run-in period, it says that lugging engine is more harmful than going to higher RPMs during the initial period. May be guru's can explain !
Old 12th April 2010, 19:59   #1930
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
I own Figo TDCi and I have observed that when the engine is idling, after every 10-13 secs it jerks mildly. Is this normal ? If not anything to worry about ?

This happens in cold diesel engines. We call it self-correction. It prevents the cold engine from stalling. Nothing to worry.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:18   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lugging definitely causes an FE drop in my 1.6S and lugging is not good for the transmission in the long run as well. I don't know why lugging causes an FE drop and I hope someone with technical knowledge can enlighten us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
This happens in cold diesel engines. We call it self-correction. It prevents the cold engine from stalling. Nothing to worry.
I have noticed slight variations in RPM while idling in the 1.6S as well. I attributed that to AC compressor switching on and off. There is no jerk of any sort though.

Last edited by Gilead : 12th April 2010 at 20:21.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:55   #1932
BANNED

Quote:
Lugging definitely causes an FE drop in my 1.6S and lugging is not good for the transmission in the long run as well. I don't know why lugging causes an FE drop and I hope someone with technical knowledge can enlighten us.
Same here, my Fiesta 1.4 P gives slightly lower FE (about 0.5 kpl) if I upshift at 1800-2000 rpm, instead of 2500 rpm.

Guess, if I upshift too early (say at 1800 rpm), then the engine ends up outside the power-band in the higher gear (around 1400 rpm in the higher gear); and until the speed increases to reach the power band, you are burning fuel without making as much distance as you would have made if you had upshifted at 2500 rpm and ended up straight in the power band in the higher gear (around 1900+ rpm). Does this make sense? PS: I am not an expert, just writing down my own reasoning.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:08   #1933
BHPian

figo manual mentioned to keep the rev at 1500-1800 for the first 500km and vary the speeds for the tires to set. okay from now onwards will shift at 2500.

A question regarding suspension, when the back seat is loaded , even with a single person, the height of the car goes significantly, when i mean the height the gap between the wheel and the wheel arch. when it is fully loaded, the gap between the wheel arch and the wheel goes down even further. is this normal for all figos?

Last edited by scorpio07 : 12th April 2010 at 21:17. Reason: additions
Old 12th April 2010, 21:21   #1934
BHPian

@mustang, this is a bit OT, but a question which i had asked sometime back-in those places where euro 4 norms are not being followed,do they sell the euro 4 compliant or euro 3 fiestas?
Old 12th April 2010, 21:45   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
all figo diesel owners: What rev band do you keep your car and when do you upshift?
I keep the car at 1500-1800 rpm and upshift above that.
See what you mentioned below. I think that a good idea. And its in the manual too. After your first 500km increase the revs slowly.Keep it under 2.5K for around 1500km and then try to maintain 1500-2500 rpm. Just my opinion. And thats what i am doing. Diesels cars seems to give better mileage when you are in the Turbo range. And on this engine it comes "on" at around 4500rpm.

To make it more simple. Dont lug her and dont rip her. Dont overdo either.

And dont forget to give her the weekly workouts. Maintain close to 3K rpm for around 30 seconds once in a week. I guess it keeps the exhausts clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
figo manual mentioned to keep the rev at 1500-1800 for the first 500km and vary the speeds for the tires to set. okay from now onwards will shift at 2500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
It is the a/c compressor coming "on" and "off". I also noticed this. Its there even after the car is hot. Not only when engine is cold. I noticed that the compressor comes on for a few seconds and then goes off and then again it comes on for a few seconds and goes off. This is when the jerk happens. I think the "BIG" compressor is overdoing the job.

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th April 2010 at 21:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks