Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 13:22   #7996
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhil_18 View Post
I really don't know how this floor mats related to seat rail rusting. help.
I dont agree that this is due to floor mats issue, had it in my Spark and still it is fine, looks like Ford wants to carry forward their reputation for rusting cars, as dhinchak has said, remove them and then take it any other Ford service station, let them find the root cause, sometimes it is better lying for your own well being.

Last edited by deehunk : 29th March 2013 at 13:23. Reason: typo
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 14:06   #7997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhil_18 View Post
My Figo is around 2.11 years old and its 3 years warranty cover is going to end soon. I have noticed some rusting in seat rails and I took my car to MPL ford in pallikanai Chennai, But this guys just denied it cant be covered under warranty since I have installed the floor mats. Even after pushing them further they finally took pictures of it and after a week they replied Ford has rejected my request. I really don't know how this floor mats related to seat rail rusting. help.
Well, my suggestion is the same as others mentioned. Remove the floor mat, take the car to someone else and try to claim warranty. Infact, rather than taking the pics the first time, you should have removed the floor mat and then ONLY clicked the pics. Now even if you remove and take pics, Ford might have your request already in their system and they could deny the claim easily.

Incase you don't get warranty honoured, please make sure you do some anti-rust treatment or re-painting of those portions (after sanding it or removing the rust) and then continue to use the car. This will make sure the rust doesn't spread and the health is longer, even if you need to pay something from your pocket.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 20:10   #7998
Senior - BHPian

Longtime guys!!

Was abroad for 3 months, so did not drive the car. Just wanted to give a quick update.

Upgraded to 185s at 40K Odo.

Mileage is a consistent 18 kmpl in the city.

Brake noise is there and yes, the in cabin noise is a tad bit high. a/c does great as usual.

Currently at 45K. For uninitiated, mine is a July 2010 1.4 titanium.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 22:16   #7999
BHPian

Guys what is the permanent solution of the caliper noise? I am simply fed up of the rattling noise from the front left wheel over undulated/potholed roads. Greasing shuts the noise for 200-300 kms only. I have observed that the noise disappears for 20-30 kms after washing the car/wheel thoroughly. I will take the car for 20k service in a month but I know they will insist on greasing. I got the greasing done @ 15k kms and 18k kms at the FASSC. If there is any solution apart from greasing/replacement; I would look out for a local garage to carry out the repairs. How much does a new caliper/assembly cost? The car is out of warranty since its Sep 2010 make.
Old 30th March 2013, 11:46   #8000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
These bad experiences are sending shivers down my spine as I have already booked one. I am losing sleep on the sleepless nights ahead.
Rajeev, please don't have such apprehensions! The car is wonderful! Just hook up with some people at a service centre and i am sure most of your apprehensions will be put to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Guys what is the permanent solution of the caliper noise? I am simply fed up of the rattling noise from the front left wheel over undulated/potholed roads.
Is the noise similar to the one in this video BHO?

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 30th March 2013 at 11:49.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 13:30   #8001
BHPian

A question to tdci or in general, diesel engines:

1. Is stalling bad ? Stalled her thrice while negotiating a big bump right in the morning.

2. Even when parking, should the "idle for 30 s" rule be followed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Longtime guys!!
Was abroad for 3 months, so did not drive the car. Just wanted to give a quick update.
Welcome back Anil! By any chance did you upload a video on youtube regarding the diagnostic mode of the figo?

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 30th March 2013 at 13:32.
Old 30th March 2013, 18:09   #8002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
A question to tdci or in general, diesel engines:

1. Is stalling bad ? Stalled her thrice while negotiating a big bump right in the morning.
May be its driver's error. Check for few more times, while taking a road hump, Figo's tdci engine asks 1st gear on very low speed.

Quote:
2. Even when parking, should the "idle for 30 s" rule be followed?
Yes. The turbo should stop before you turn off the engine.
Old 30th March 2013, 21:35   #8003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Yes. The turbo should stop before you turn off the engine.
Turbo will stop as soon as you switch the engine, it does not take time to stop.

The reason for idling is for the oil in the turbo to cool down. The oil gets heated in the turbo if you drive with heavy foot or on a long drive. If you turn off the engine the hot oil cannot cool down using the oil cooler since circulation is stopped. The hot oil may damage the seals in the turbo.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 06:29   #8004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Turbo will stop as soon as you switch the engine, it does not take time to stop.

The reason for idling is for the oil in the turbo to cool down. The oil gets heated in the turbo if you drive with heavy foot or on a long drive. If you turn off the engine the hot oil cannot cool down using the oil cooler since circulation is stopped. The hot oil may damage the seals in the turbo.
Ah. This is the reason why oil cooled turbos are at a risk. Also, it is due to oil coking off at points within the turbo which restricts its oil circulation and thereby leads to a premature turbo failure.

Also, regarding the borgwarner kp35 twin scroll turbo in the figo, how well does it compare to vgt ? Also, my question was if move the vehicle even a little, as in parking it, does the idling rule apply? After I drive her for a while I do idle her.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:26   #8005
BHPian

Quote:
Also, my question was if move the vehicle even a little, as in parking it, does the idling rule apply? After I drive her for a while I do idle her.
Just make sure you don't use the A pedal while moving and diesels due to their torquy nature, it can be easily managed. This practice though not harmful, must be avoided as much as possible. Hope that helps.
Old 31st March 2013, 11:00   #8006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Guys what is the permanent solution of the caliper noise? I am simply fed up of the rattling noise from the front left wheel over undulated/potholed roads. Greasing shuts the noise for 200-300 kms only. I have observed that the noise disappears for 20-30 kms after washing the car/wheel thoroughly. I will take the car for 20k service in a month but I know they will insist on greasing. I got the greasing done @ 15k kms and 18k kms at the FASSC. If there is any solution apart from greasing/replacement; I would look out for a local garage to carry out the repairs. How much does a new caliper/assembly cost? The car is out of warranty since its Sep 2010 make.
Try Pushing for a warranty replacement, if that doesnt work then the only option is to put a caliper shimm to reduce or stop the noise. A local garage will know how to do this but remember doing this will void your warranty.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 17:15   #8007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I took my Figo for its first highway trip last Sunday to check how it compares with the Fiesta 1.6 that I own. I must say I was very thrilled. All the hullabaloo about the tdci losing grunt after 120 kmph was put to rest.

I could even touch 160 on a few empty stretches, but 140 was very comfortable, moreso with the 185/75 profile Michellins. The only difference was that if I braked at that speed and came down to around 80 kmph, then moving back to the original speed without dropping from 5th gear took some time, when compared to the free-revving and over-eager 1.6 L petrol engine.
Did close to 1000kms in the past 2-3 days. And today, spent some quality time with the Car alone.

I have always said, none of the diesel hatches (save for the i20 D) can run away from this.

I am on stock tires & it is really heartening to note, the tire not squealing even one bit with corners taken at a good clip (in fact, after the corner gets over, I think I could have been at least 10kmph faster here). No need to brake for a corner, lift-off & start accelerating mid-corner. The same antics on a SUV would have it cornering on their door handles. It is so sure footed.

Spent extended time on the E-W corridor as well. The Car can be faster than most of the traffic around if asked for. Still got 20+ FE.

Did you feel a slight variance in engine behavior at ~110kmph? Like a turbo getting activated? Anybody?

Quote:
One feature that really pleased me and the other occupants of the car was the hazard lights. I was overtaking a lazy and obstinate Innova from the left at triple digit speeds, when I suddenly spotted a road barricade ahead, causing me to slam the brakes. There was tire screech for about 3 to 4 seconds, followed by ABS pulsations, and I could fall behind the Innova without any drama.
And all the doubts on brake's competency is thrown to rest. You actually have to watch your back for the fear of being rear-ended.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st March 2013 at 17:16.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 10:39   #8008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Did you feel a slight variance in engine behavior at ~110kmph? Like a turbo getting activated? Anybody?
I've not noticed anything at that speed. I've noticed two turbo kicks in city driving: one around 1400 rpm and another at 1700 rpm. Some others also have had similar things to report, though most only talk about the 1700 rpm boost.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:56   #8009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Longtime guys!!

Upgraded to 185s at 40K Odo.

Mileage is a consistent 18 kmpl in the city.

Brake noise is there and yes, the in cabin noise is a tad bit high. a/c does great as usual.

Currently at 45K. For uninitiated, mine is a July 2010 1.4 titanium.
Hi Anil,

Can you share some more info on the tyres? Which make, where did you get it and at what price?

I am getting a feeling that my mileage has gone down after the firmware update. I got it at my 40k service a month or two back and I am getting a mileage of around 15 kmpl with all city drive. I could be wrong as well because these days the car is running with A/C on almost 95% of times. Has anyone else experienced that?
Old 1st April 2013, 12:08   #8010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Find below the details of parts:
I cross-checked with my colleague's bill. In his case, the part costs are identical, plus minus 5% in some cases.

Total bill was for Rs 22646 of which Rs 11022 was parts cost. Service tax and VAT was around 2700 extra.

The labour cost in his case was Rs 8922, which includes Rs 2898 cost of painting charges of dickey.

But he got the car within 2 days.

What concerns me is the 100% variance in labour charges. He saw the pictures you've posted and said the damage looks similar to his car's.

And what also concerns me is why the door and bumper could not be repaired instead of being replaced.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st April 2013 at 12:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks