Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 15:45   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere

quite shocking, honestly....
This looks like a used TD vehicle.. its impossible for a 'factory fresh' car to have ANY of the above 4 niggles. Did you check the VIN# and find out which month this car was manufactured ? or you can even ask the sales manager (not the salesperson) point blank "was this a TD vehicle? "
I strongly suggest you do the above and find out the truth.
This wasn't a td vehicle... I had made sure of that. Vin # check was done and this is a Jan 2013 manufactured car. Bad luck, I guess.
Old 20th March 2013, 15:55   #7922
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Please do not blame the car's braking abilities for what is basically a big mistake by the driver. Pulling the handbrake at that speed will result in total loss of control and rear wheels locking up. It will be the same result in a Mercedes or a Ford. It's one of the most biggest mistakes one can make.

I've had the car for more than 2.5 years and driven it on highways but never found anything to complain about the brakes.
Thanks Vidyut, I have never been in such situations, as been lucky earlier & slower these days, but it was the narrative as has been reported in the FIR as well. These guys are the ones who have breakfast in Delhi, only to have lunch in Jaipur or Chandigarh, i.e. munching hundreds of kms in a day, & I guess are much better driver than Average Joes like me.

They had bought the car recently & this incident has completely shaken the families. They had bough the Titanium variant because it was equipped with ABS & airbags, but in the accident nothing helped because the engine just slid in. I guess it was because of bad day, & may be because of the brakes as few earlier posts have indicated so have just brought the same to notice of all in the forum.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:13   #7923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
These guys are the ones who have breakfast in Delhi, only to have lunch in Jaipur or Chandigarh, i.e. munching hundreds of kms in a day, & I guess are much better driver than Average Joes like me.
Absolutely no offence to your family friends but even taxi drivers drive 100kms in a day yet most of them have no clue on vehicle dynamics and driving experience. Driving many kms is one thing, car control is something else.

Quote:
They had bought the car recently & this incident has completely shaken the families. They had bough the Titanium variant because it was equipped with ABS & airbags, but in the accident nothing helped because the engine just slid in.
No point in having ABS on a car if you pull the handbrake and lock up the rear tyres on your own. Your not even letting ABS do it's job.

Quote:
I guess it was because of bad day, & may be because of the brakes as few earlier posts have indicated so have just brought the same to notice of all in the forum.
There's no chance of even a maybe due to the brakes. They would have escaped if the driver had not pulled the handbrakes. Pulling the handbrake will result in loss of control and result in rear swinging out. Even if that Figo was equipped with Formula 1 carbon fibre brakes, pulling the handbrakes would have resulted in the same accident.

Bad brakes are what you would call for a Swift LDi or VDi.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 16:19   #7924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No point in having ABS on a car if you pull the handbrake and lock up the rear tyres on your own. Your not even letting ABS do it's job.

There's no chance of even a maybe due to the brakes. They would have escaped if the driver had not pulled the handbrakes. Pulling the handbrake will result in loss of control and result in rear swinging out. Even if that Figo was equipped with Formula 1 carbon fibre brakes, pulling the handbrakes would have resulted in the same accident.
Thank you Vidyut, I got your point, as this explains the real reason for the accident/ loss & will bear in mind for self & helping out to others (with reference to your posts).
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 17:38   #7925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Hi,

My Figo TDCi is hit by a Fiesta from the back. I gave it for repair and the total cost estimation given by the workshop (MPL chennai) is 41K approx. The labor charge is 25K and parts cost is 15K. The damage is on back door, bumper and the panel inside the bumper.

I felt the cost is in a higher side. Want to check if any of you came across similar repair work and estimation.

You can see the pictures of the damage in the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3056188

The car is 1.5 years old now. Is labor charge is covered 100% by insurance?

Regards
Deva
Update:
I got the car last week Saturday. It took 8 working days by the service center, which i feel very high. I was expecting 3 or 4 days for the total repair.

The final cost is 35K with Labor 17.5K, Parts 14K plus taxes. Insurance claim is 28K and i paid 7K from my pocket. Labor cost is covered 100% by the insurance.
Old 20th March 2013, 17:41   #7926
BHPian

Issues With Brake/Clutch Cylinder?

My diesel Figo TDCi Titanium will soon be 3.
I have driven 42000 km thus far.

Suddenly the clutch/brake cylinder broke and the oil leaked on to the floor mats.
I was unable to apply the gears.

I called Ford Assistance.
I was initially quoted Rs 4500.
Then 400, as I had extended warranty.

Are others experiencing frequent issues with the parts.
I already had the clutch plates replaced last summer.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:05   #7927
BHPian

When you need to brake you only downshift gears and press the brake. The handbrake is only for cases where you need to stop and remain there. Even though the ABS would have come into action, the handbrake would have just locked the wheels up leading to a loss of control. Titanium edition has bigger front disc brakes from what i can infer. The mistake was the handbrake alone.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 20:46   #7928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The driver of the Figo who had a Swift VDi earlier, & might have come out unscathed from similar situations .
I compromised on looks of Swift and bought Ford Figo due to its handling, stability, ABS & Airbags in 7.3L price braket. I feel so much confident on 100+ in a Figo than driving a ddis VDi. Though I have driven old gen VDi <2k kms, brakes are good but not as good as Titanium's.

But I noticed that my tenant's Figo Zxi's brakes are not as good as Titanium's, even in low speed of 30kmph.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:31   #7929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
But I noticed that my tenant's Figo Zxi's brakes are not as good as Titanium's, even in low speed of 30kmph.
Only the Titanium gets larger dia meter discs and drums. Titanium has 258mm front discs and 203mm rear drums. Below Titanium it's 239mm front and 180mm rear.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 21:55   #7930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Update:
I got the car last week Saturday. It took 8 working days by the service center, which i feel very high. I was expecting 3 or 4 days for the total repair.

The final cost is 35K with Labor 17.5K, Parts 14K plus taxes. Insurance claim is 28K and i paid 7K from my pocket. Labor cost is covered 100% by the insurance.
Can you post details of parts changed? I'm asking because a colleague was recently charged 23 K for similar damage. He was fortunate to get 5 K from the Swift owner who rear-ended him. I guess with that money, there was no monetary loss to him at all.
Old 21st March 2013, 02:15   #7931
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to know from a friend & Figo owner that there is some scheme going on in Cochin A$$. He said they are doing some free services / check ups and even brake pads are changed free of cost. Could NOT dig the details, if anyone is interested, please check.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:08   #7932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010
My diesel Figo TDCi Titanium will soon be 3.
I have driven 42000 km thus far.

Suddenly the clutch/brake cylinder broke and the oil leaked on to the floor mats.
I was unable to apply the gears.

I called Ford Assistance.
I was initially quoted Rs 4500.
Then 400, as I had extended warranty.

Are others experiencing frequent issues with the parts.
I already had the clutch plates replaced last summer.
Clutch plates changes so fast? How many kms have you done on the car? Clutch plates is dependent on driving and usage - but lasts atleast 1L in modern cars if driven well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

Only the Titanium gets larger dia meter discs and drums. Titanium has 258mm front discs and 203mm rear drums. Below Titanium it's 239mm front and 180mm rear.
I think this is the more under publicized featured of the titanium variant.

The handbrake discussion is very enlightning. Can the handbrake have enough bite to lock your wheels? I would love to understand this in more detail.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st March 2013 at 08:18. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:36   #7933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I think this is the more under publicized featured of the titanium variant.

The handbrake discussion is very enlightning. Can the handbrake have enough bite to lock your wheels? I would love to understand this in more detail.
I do not have any real-time experience of trying this out, but a little OT, back in those days when I used to play NFS Porsche Unleashed, as a test-driver, this was how you could pull a 180° or 360° spin maneuver on the test-track. Will leave it to the experts to explain this.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:19   #7934
BHPian

Quote:

Clutch plates changes so fast? How many kms have you done on the car? Clutch plates is dependent on driving and usage - but lasts atleast 1L in modern cars if driven well.
I doubt if it was a clutch plate change. Then the quoted price would have been very high.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:02   #7935
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely no offence to your family friends but even taxi drivers drive 100kms in a day yet most of them have no clue on vehicle dynamics and driving experience. Driving many kms is one thing, car control is something else.
Correct. I know many people who spent a lot of time out on the road, but when faced with a panic situation, most of them cannot react to it properly. In India, our driving license tests just see that you can identify clutch, brake, accelerator and steering and sometimes, not even that. Many of the people on Indian roads are still alive because of God's grace and not because of their driving skills.

Quote:
There's no chance of even a maybe due to the brakes. They would have escaped if the driver had not pulled the handbrakes. Pulling the handbrake will result in loss of control and result in rear swinging out.
In the mentioned situation, I would tell that the car behaved exactly as it is designed for. In rallying, you pull the hand brake and counter steer to slide the car sideways (you upset the rear wheels and spin the car on it's front wheel which acts as the axis) to get a quicker turn in and from the description, this is exactly what the car did. Pulling the hand brake overrides the ABS as the hand brake is a direct mechanical linkage and the car just slid off.
Unfortunate, but if the driver had not pulled the handbrake, in all probability, he would have been able to steer the car away from danger. This can happen in any car and there is no point in blaming the car for a driver's mistake.
Quote:
Yes, the handbrake can lock the wheels as I mentioned earlier. How easily you can do this depends on the surface, the tyre and the speed of the car. On a gravel track, where the traction is less, you can do it at a lower speed and it takes real skill to control the car once it starts sliding (steering and throttle inputs)

Last edited by A350XWB : 21st March 2013 at 10:10.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks