Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 12:55   #8011
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Turbo will stop as soon as you switch the engine, it does not take time to stop.

The reason for idling is for the oil in the turbo to cool down....
From my understanding, the turbo does not stop abruptly when the engine is switched off. As the turbine is suspended on low friction bearings, the inertia keeps it running even after the engine is switched off. This is exactly why we need to cool the turbo before switching off the engine after a spirited drive. Imagine a turbine spinning at 80K to 150K (depending on size, at peak boost) and the engine switched off. Here, the turbo takes time to spool down and if the oil circulation stops during this time, the temperatures in the bearings rise to high levels as the heat is not carried away by the circulating oil and this can cause destructive distillation of oil, creating coke (coking) , which is abrasive. This leads to premature failure of turbo bearings. The idling is gives the turbo, time to spool down (and also cool down due to the still circulating oil), which helps avoid this condition.

If the turbo stopped immediately after the engine was switched off, we would not have this condition at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Ah. This is the reason why oil cooled turbos are at a risk. Also, it is due to oil coking off at points within the turbo which restricts its oil circulation and thereby leads to a premature turbo failure.
As explained above, the coking happens due to the rapid rise in temperature due to the heat created by the high speed turbine and the lack of circulating oil. Many alternative solutions to this problem are in place like keep circulating the oil even after the engine is switched off for a predefined time, use of airfoil bearings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Spot on. I was trying to make it simpler but your explanation is better.
Thanks Vidyut. I just tried to explain it in more words, that's all. Many people forget that the oil actually serves two purposes - 1) Lubrication and 2) As a heat exchanger (or coolant).

Last edited by A350XWB : 1st April 2013 at 13:09.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 13:03   #8012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
From my understanding, the turbo does not stop abruptly when the engine is switched off.
Spot on. I was trying to make it simpler but your explanation is better.

What I was trying to say was that by idling you don't wait for the turbo to stop, but you wait for turbo to cool down using the oil. If you turn off the engine, there will be no exhaust gases to keep the turbo running.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 19:06   #8013
BHPian

Are turbo timers available for the figo ?

Also, people who feel figo will scrape its underbody when loaded don't have to worry about it. Tested it with 5 people and it didn't scrape. This applies to the facelift only.

OT: this isnt an April fools joke
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:01   #8014
Senior - BHPian

Got 13.81 kpl on my Figo's first tankful of diesel. 100% AC usage, mainly city driven with some highway "like" conditions thrown in as well.

I had posted earlier about a squeaking noise that was present from day 1. With the help of a friend I did some troubleshooting and was able to isolate the source of the noise to the RHS rear seat-back locking mechanism (part where the seat back locks in place). Drove around for a long time with the seat unfastened and there was no noise whatsoever. So now that I know the source of the sound, might try some simple DIY options to silence the squeak. Else, will have to bear with it till the first servicing. Oh, and the parcel tray's rattling a bit too on occasion... will need to take care of that as well. And I used to think that the Swift was a rattler!
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:27   #8015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Rajeev, please don't have such apprehensions! The car is wonderful! Just hook up with some people at a service centre and i am sure most of your apprehensions will be put to rest.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I booked it before the state tax hike of 1% effective April 1.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:01   #8016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words. I booked it before the state tax hike of 1% effective April 1.
Don't forget the team-bhp checklist for your PDI! My ride went through a slightly rigorous check done by myself. Needless to say, i did spot minor stuff here and there but its nothing to complain about. i must say, do check and scrutinize each and every bit of the car for your peace of mind. Hope your 4 wheeled maiden reaches home soon.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:54   #8017
BHPian

Quote:
These bad experiences are sending shivers down my spine as I have already booked one. I am losing sleep on the sleepless nights ahead.
On my previous visit to the workshop, I remember asking the SA about the problems in the Steering Rack assembly after reading about it multiple times here on team-bhp. His reply was, "aapki gaadi mein hua kya kharaab?" (Did it get damaged in your car?).

There was a car visiting the Service Station, with a completely worn out clutch and had done just a little over 40K. Apparently, the car was being driven around by a lady with not-so-good driving skills.

Two things -
1. Things depend a lot on how you drive.
2. This pertains to almost all online forums - most of the times it will only be the bad experiences you will read online. People will come and post about only the bad experiences/issues they face. Very few would post about it if they dont face any issues. That is true for me as well.

It's a great car, you'll enjoy her!
dhinchak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 00:06   #8018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Got 13.81 kpl on my Figo's first tankful of diesel. 100% AC usage, mainly city driven with some highway "like" conditions thrown in as well.

I had posted earlier about a squeaking noise that was present from day 1. With the help of a friend I did some troubleshooting and was able to isolate the source of the noise to the RHS rear seat-back locking mechanism (part where the seat back locks in place). Drove around for a long time with the seat unfastened and there was no noise whatsoever. So now that I know the source of the sound, might try some simple DIY options to silence the squeak. Else, will have to bear with it till the first servicing. Oh, and the parcel tray's rattling a bit too on occasion... will need to take care of that as well. And I used to think that the Swift was a rattler!

Same issue with my 2013 Figo P but instead of squeaks, the seat rattles.

Trying a DIY tomorrow will keep the thread updated about the same.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:27   #8019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the temp control knob kept at a low setting? Check this knob position
Yea the temp setting are at a minimum. I had this issue checked by the A.S.S as well. As per them they have a method to check the temp of the air using a temp meter. After a certain level of temp the AC compressor cuts off and then cuts in again after 10 sec or so. This is what is happening in my car as well and is apparently normal since the temp of the air was at the level expected. This thing is apparent only in a very hot car after keeping it parked in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've not noticed anything at that speed. I've noticed two turbo kicks in city driving: one around 1400 rpm and another at 1700 rpm. Some others also have had similar things to report, though most only talk about the 1700 rpm boost.
Even I feel the bump at 1400rpm and its most pronounced in 2nd gear but i dont think thats to do with the turbo boost since its more like a jerk and not surge from boost. My uneducated guess would be something to do with ECU setting that causes it.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 21:50   #8020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
just got a Figo Exi Petrol a week back
as of now done 452kms first tank full gave mileage of 8kmpl with 100% Ac is this normal or will it go up till 10 or so after 5k kms?

is this a low mileage ? should it be reported to Ford?
Perfectly normal for a petrol figo! I get the same mileage even today. Our car has done close to 26,000KM! 3 years +
Old 6th April 2013, 22:13   #8021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Perfectly normal for a petrol figo! I get the same mileage even today. Our car has done close to 26,000KM! 3 years +
I get about 13.8 kmpl on my 2 year old 18k km covered petrol figo. With AC usage about 10% of the time and sometimes a passenger. Compare this with My honda city which gives about 14.6kmpl with 100% AC and 3 people onboard on the same route....
The biggest problem with the petrol figo is it's fuel efficiency... would recommend the car only to people who drive very less and prefer the driving pleasure of a Ford!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 6th April 2013 at 22:23.
Old 6th April 2013, 22:20   #8022
Senior - BHPian

High-speed driving has had its toll my my Figo's F.E. After our 430 km team-bhp drive to Kurnool on March 24th, and using the car for around 170 kms in the city, I tanked up and got a figure of 15.5--the lowest ever.

I'll try to limit myself to double-digit speeds next time, and check again. But I do know if is a tough proposition, given the addictive FTD factor the car offers.

Last edited by vnabhi : 6th April 2013 at 22:22.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 22:50   #8023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I get about 13.8 kmpl on my 2 year old 18k km covered petrol figo. With AC usage about 10% of the time and sometimes a passenger. Compare this with My honda city which gives about 14.6kmpl with 100% AC and 3 people onboard on the same route....
The biggest problem with the petrol figo is it's fuel efficiency... would recommend the car only to people who drive very less and prefer the driving pleasure of a Ford!
We drive with AC on 100% of the time and we get 8!
Old 7th April 2013, 13:21   #8024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

We drive with AC on 100% of the time and we get 8!
8 is very low... the lowest recorded mileage i got was 11.8kmpl with 4 people onboard with ac 100% with mix of highway and inner city driving... i dont think we get traffic here like Bangalore but 8 is very less... how many people were onboard when you got these figures??
Old 7th April 2013, 19:42   #8025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
High-speed driving has had its toll my my Figo's F.E. After our 430 km team-bhp drive to Kurnool on March 24th, and using the car for around 170 kms in the city, I tanked up and got a figure of 15.5--the lowest ever.

I'll try to limit myself to double-digit speeds next time, and check again. But I do know if is a tough proposition, given the addictive FTD factor the car offers.
I too got similar figures for the same drive. But believe me, I've once got as low as 9.5 kmpl during one of our ORR drive meets. The car ran on WOT for a very long time. I might not attempt that again since it's really harsh on the engine. Like you said, it's hard to drive sedately due to fun it offers. I wish to cross the 20 kmpl figure at least once. The best I got till now is 19 kmpl on a drive from Goa to Bijapur in December.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks