Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:06   #7966
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post

Even though it was replaced under warranty, what surprised me was its actual cost - Rs 1382/-

Seeing the cost of these small parts, I was a bit terrified and enquired about the 4th year warranty - and another surprise! I was expecting it to be around 5900/- as told by everyone. But, according to the dealer - 5900/- is for Petrol and for diesel it costs 9000+
Glad to know your issue was settled.

Was it only the switch or also the stalk? And where is that switch located?

I paid Rs 1021 for replacing my Fiesta's reverse gear switch (details on my LTO thread), but since it lasted nearly six years, I did not take it to be too much.

As regards EW, does it cost 9000 even for customers with a new Figo? I am asking because I got mine in Oct, and at that time there was no 4th-year warranty. I paid Rs 3550 for 3rd year EW.
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:14   #7967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Glad to know your issue was settled.

Was it only the switch or also the stalk? And where is that switch located?

I paid Rs 1021 for replacing my Fiesta's reverse gear switch (details on my LTO thread), but since it lasted nearly six years, I did not take it to be too much.

As regards EW, does it cost 9000 even for customers with a new Figo? I am asking because I got mine in Oct, and at that time there was no 4th-year warranty. I paid Rs 3550 for 3rd year EW.
No, not the switch(that is just the name of the part from the Bill ) - it was the lever on the left side of the steering wheel which was replaced. The one which has the High Beam/Low Beam and the turn indicator control. I hope I am more clear?

4th year warranty - I am not sure, but I supose it would be same for all customers irrespective of time you bought the car. I got my 3rd year extended warranty complimentary at the time I bought my car in Mar 2011.

Last edited by dhinchak : 23rd March 2013 at 22:15.
dhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:20   #7968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, not the switch(that is just the name of the part from the Bill ) - it was the lever on the left side of the steering wheel which was replaced. The one which has the High Beam/Low Beam and the turn indicator control. I hope I am more clear?
Got you. If it is for the entire stalk, then what they charge seems normal. If you check out the i-20, the AC louvers at the extreme end cost Rs 1500 each. They are very delicate, and the projection to hold while changing the direction of air flow is susceptible to breaking within a few months. One needs to replace the entire louver kit due to that.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:48   #7969
BHPian

Need Advice:

I think the sound from the brakes in Figo is a pretty common issue. Not sure about the newer batches, but it has been a issue with my March 2011 1.4 ZXi Figo. I have done areound 35K and the noise forom the brakes has been persistent since the first month of ownership. After multiple complaints and the inability of Ford to provide a solution, I have accepted to live with it. The sound is more pronounced when the Brakes/discs are dirty.

On a recent visit to the Service station, like usual, I reported the issue and like everytime their solution was to clean the brakes and the sound would disappear for a few days only to return back. But, this time they showed me 'lines' on the discs. According to them, these lines are due to the particles that stick between the discs and the pads (and cause the noise too). Their advice to me was to get the discs and the pads both changed. Apparently, the pads still have some life in them and the 'lines' one the pads would result in the pads wearing out faster.

Now, i am not sure if the lines one the discs are normal and what exactly are the consequences of driving like that. Someone, suggested to get 'turning' done on the brake discs. When I consulted a local mechanic, he advised totaly against it. His advice - as soon as I told him the car is 'Figo', "Dont get it done. The problem is common in this car, and turning would not help, but would just increase my problems." A friendly SA at Ford also to not get it done, as I may experience issues such as jerks while braking. The new discs apparently cost somewhere around 4K. Another thing to note is, the braking is normal - I dont feel any loss in braking capacity of the car.

So, here I am asking for advice from Team-BHP!

1. Turning or no turning?
2. Consequences of drving without doing anything?
3. Do you have similar issues with your Figo as well?
4. How long do the discs generally last? I say generally - considering sedate city driving.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th March 2013, 22:24   #7970
BHPian

I guess this issue isn't common only with the Figo. My Indica had severe lines and the pads were changed thrice and the discs once during 50k kms. I would say that get the discs turned and use them for couple of thousand kms with the existing brake pads. Later, get the entire set of discs and pad changed.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:28   #7971
Senior - BHPian

I have an 81K clocked Alto without any change of pads nor the discs. No sound from a 45K clocked Swift too.
One thing is definite please don't machine the discs as any improper setting by local machine shops could make things much worse.
Have you ever complained to Ford ever. I am getting worries as I am falling for the Figo next month.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:29   #7972
BHPian

Get these things checked in the following order:

>Wheel alignment
>Front Disc
>Brake Pads

The noise will occur if either is not within threshold. Surprisingly, i have test driven a pre-facelift figo of one of my friends and there was not a hint of any sort of noise. It had 43k on the odo as of March 12th.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:29   #7973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need Advice:

So, here I am asking for advice from Team-BHP!

4. How long do the discs generally last? I say generally - considering sedate city driving.

Thanks in advance!
1. NO-Not advised at all. Its pointless. The problem is with the pads and not the discs.
2. Noise, Noise and more noise.
3. My figo had this issue back in 2010 when we purchased the car. 6 months later and after numerous complaints to the SA (they must have got fed up with me) they replaced the pads under warranty at 9,000KM or so.
After that there too much noise, A little noise is normal.
5. Depends on your driving/braking pattern but generally discs should easily last 60-80K KM.

Ask the SA to replace the pads form a TD car or some demo car just to check.
This should help.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 24th March 2013 at 22:31.
Old 25th March 2013, 19:31   #7974
BHPian

I drive a March 2010 1.4 Guys ! Odo is around 48K .

ISSUE 1 :

What is the Mileage i should be expecting Guys ? I'm getting around 11-12Kpl though its a 60-40 mix between City and Highway !

ISSUE 2

I too am facing the brake noise and yes only reaming of the disk can solve it . My A.S.S says it might be something with the brake Caliper though .
Old 25th March 2013, 23:24   #7975
BHPian

just got a Figo Exi Petrol a week back
as of now done 452kms first tank full gave mileage of 8kmpl with 100% Ac is this normal or will it go up till 10 or so after 5k kms?

is this a low mileage ? should it be reported to Ford?
Old 25th March 2013, 23:51   #7976
BHPian

Fourth year extended warranty for the diesel Figo is around 9600/-. Is it worth it?
Old 26th March 2013, 01:30   #7977
BHPian

Had been complaining about the calliper noise from the front wheels. Spent almost whole of the last 2 Saturdays at Fortune Ford, Hyd. First they replaced the calliper pins, not solved. Then replaced the entire calliper assembly, not solved. Finally they changed the front suspensions, and now the sound is gone. Drove for 500 odd kms during the tbhp mega drive meet and realized that the humming noise which was kind of low key before, suddenly had increased ten folds and was making quite a racket. Called up the A.S.S. today and they promptly sent a technician to pick up the car from my office. Got a call from the SA confirming the left rear bearing has gone for a toss and needs replacement. The car was picked up at 4:30 pm and returned to me by 7:30 pm after replacement (though I had said it was ok if the car could not be returned this evening). All the above said items were replaced in warranty and I only had to pay 100/- today for wheel hub, which was not covered. Currently the car is running smooth and the whole noise has died down and I just get to hear the TDCi purrr and the customary slight rattles which the Figo is (in)famous for.

I understand that the shocks, bearings etc. are wear and tear parts and should not be ideally covered in warranty. But I'm happy that all the replacements done in my car was covered. But I must tell you I had a totally out-of-control day 2 weeks back when I first went in and I was made to wait at the A.S.S. from 9am to 5pm only to be told at the end that the part was not available. I had to vent out my anger and that too pretty loudly. But after that incident they have been dealing in a much better way and trying hard to keep me updated on how things are going while my car was in for repair/replacement. But really the number of cars is too much to handle for Ford A.S.S. and they really need to increase their number of Service centres. And with parts being constantly replaced on the car, hmmm, puts me in a dilemma whether to go for the 4th year warranty or not. It's 9.5K and seeing the kind of parts failure on a 2.5 year old car, it makes a strong case for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
as of now done 452kms first tank full gave mileage of 8kmpl with 100% Ac is this normal or will it go up till 10 or so after 5k kms?

Yes Jatin, mileage should be hovering around 10 kmpl with 100% AC after the first couple of services. But do keep in mind that the Figo petrol was never known for it's efficiency, in fact, it's one of the worst for a 1.2 petrol manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Fourth year extended warranty for the diesel Figo is around 9600/-. Is it worth it?
Like I just said in my experience above, it's a risk worth taking based on your experience. But would I take it, I still do not know, have 6 more months to decide. Sumatindra has posted an image showing the parts covered, and parts not covered in the 4th year term.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:51   #7978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Guys, any answer to the question above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Does cost of 4th year EW depend on age of vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
And with parts being constantly replaced on the car, hmmm, puts me in a dilemma whether to go for the 4th year warranty or not. It's 9.5K and seeing the kind of parts failure on a 2.5 year old car, it makes a strong case for itself.

But would I take it, I still do not know, have 6 more months to decide. Sumatindra has posted an image showing the parts covered, and parts not covered in the 4th year term.
Fords are not Toyotas when it comes to reliabilty, though they make up on other factors like fun-to-drive, handling, etc.

If you think it is worth it, go for it. I am not sure of what is covered and what is not.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:52   #7979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

8kmpl seems a bit low. Probably since its a new engine and running on 100% ac.
Should increase as it runs more to give you around 10-11 kmpl (with ac,in city). Don't expect more.
Old 26th March 2013, 18:10   #7980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need Advice:

Mate,
Would the sound be emanating from both the discs or the problem is with only one of them? I would not suggest you to do the turning as it will affect the braking capabilities with one disc being turned in and the other not.
You have also mentioned about lines on the pads, if this is a perennial problem with Figo then suggest you to live with it. Changing them will not solve the matter as a lot will depend on the pad build quality. On the long run once you have changed the discs you can look up elsewhere and try to get brake pads from abroad if they are economical and more importantly of the same specifications.

I do not have a figo but am planning to pick up one for Dad. The swift that I have has run a good 125K kms without the discs being changed till date.

Would lay my money on the figo discs lasting for a good 80 to 100K with proper application.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks