Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 17:24   #8716
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Thankyou guys for your inputs, next week I will check it with Ford guys to know that whether the absent feature is a mistake or have they removed the feature altogether.
Old 4th November 2013, 22:11   #8717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Can anyone with stock Goodyears comment on the life of the tires. A friend has a Figo with OEM Goodyear Tires and his car has done 18,000 km only. The tires seem to be good for another 5,000 km only.

I was of the opinion that the stock tires should be able to run safely till 35,000 km at least.
Mine is a March 2010 car with stock Goodyears, its done about 33K. The tyres gets really noisy after 15-20K and also gets weak. A lot of punchures off late. SA advised to change them as part of the 30K service considering the thread depth and wear, but I haven't done it yet.
Old 5th November 2013, 00:51   #8718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Mine is a March 2010 car with stock Goodyears, its done about 33K. The tyres gets really noisy after 15-20K and also gets weak. A lot of punchures off late. SA advised to change them as part of the 30K service considering the thread depth and wear, but I haven't done it yet.
Same as my 2010 march figo same tyres but our car has got only 2 punctures and the tyres seem good for another 15,000 - 20,000 KM
Old 5th November 2013, 11:32   #8719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Same as my 2010 march figo same tyres but our car has got only 2 punctures and the tyres seem good for another 15,000 - 20,000 KM
Mine is a April 2010 one and have had 3 punctures to date. Have clocked in 20k on the ODO. Moreover the tyres looks OK to me. Any thumb rule in how to gauge the tyre is good or needs replacement?
Old 5th November 2013, 15:50   #8720

Hi!
Given the number of posts, I think this is the best place for my query.
I have a FIGO Zxi 1.4 TDCi (2011 MAR) which recently completed 40k service. The ownership has largely been hassle-free and easy on the pocket barring the adventures of an over enthusiastic SA at Chennai Ford.

Now I have a very peculiar problem. The AC shuts down if the car goes above 100 kmph for a long time. The blower simply doesn't work and there is condensation at the vents. This happened for the first time at around 28k. I promptly took it to the dealer and he diagnosed & replaced a faulty thermostat.
Now we didn't take her out for a long trip till a friend borrowed it for a drive to Kerala and this happened again. At around 35k. I changed service stations at 40k where the same "faulty thermostat" was replaced. And on the first long drive-out after service it repeats.

I have heard first hand account from a SX4 owner who had such a problem-whose AC got repaired- and finally had an engine seizure mid-drive. Maruti attributed it to overheating and a faulty part. This person warned me that AC is the first thing to get "cut-off" in case of engine overheating.

Now Ford simply says that the thermostat maybe out again and has asked me to go change it under warranty. Before that I thought of reaching out to you all and find out if anyone had a similar experience/ hearsay.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:30   #8721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
+1
With the extended warranty option, your regular servicing costs are very very reasonable. Many a times, it takes more money and time to service my bike than the Figo. You just can't go wrong with the Figo. It's a brilliant car made for brilliant people
What is your regular service cost? I am kind of surprised with my 60K service which costed 9.5 K without Wheel Balancing and Wheel Alignment. My 50K service costed around 5.5K.

It did not require any additional repair or replacement other than the routine ones.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:03   #8722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepauperprince View Post

I have heard first hand account from a SX4 owner who had such a problem-whose AC got repaired- and finally had an engine seizure mid-drive. Maruti attributed it to overheating and a faulty part. This person warned me that AC is the first thing to get "cut-off" in case of engine overheating.
Figo has a warning light for overheating of engine. Did it light up? I don't fully believe in what SX4 guy said. That car should have had engine temperature gauge. He could have monitored that for overheating. Only after that seizure would happen.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:55   #8723
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
I have a FIGO Zxi 1.4 TDCi (2011 MAR) which recently completed 40k service. The ownership has largely been hassle-free and easy on the pocket barring the adventures of an over enthusiastic SA at Chennai Ford.

Now I have a very peculiar problem. The AC shuts down if the car goes above 100 kmph for a long time. The blower simply doesn't work and there is condensation at the vents. This happened for the first time at around 28k. I promptly took it to the dealer and he diagnosed & replaced a faulty thermostat.
Now we didn't take her out for a long trip till a friend borrowed it for a drive to Kerala and this happened again. At around 35k. I changed service stations at 40k where the same "faulty thermostat" was replaced. And on the first long drive-out after service it repeats.

Now Ford simply says that the thermostat maybe out again and has asked me to go change it under warranty. Before that I thought of reaching out to you all and find out if anyone had a similar experience/ hearsay.

Thanks in advance.
A few days ago my friend's Diesel Figo had a similar problem. His radiator fan fuse had blown off.. He observed loss of cooling from the AC and noticed that the radiator fan was constantly running on full speed since a couple of days before the fuse finally gave way. So in his case the problem was:

Radiator Fan Speed Controller died> Radiator Fan running on full speed all the time> Radiator Fan fuse Blown off> Vehicle Over-Heating

As a result of which his car was overheating. Overheating not till the point where the lamp in the instrument console came on but he checked it in the "Additional Feature" mode of the digital MID (Trip Meter). His engine at standstill was heating up to 92 degrees whereas when moving it was running around 82 degrees. He got the fan speed controller and the fuse replaced to get it running the way it normally should.

So in case your AC is cutting out try to notice if this was at slow speeds or high speeds. It could be the car's way of taking off unwanted load from the engine when it is running hot.
Old 5th November 2013, 20:17   #8724

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Figo has a warning light for overheating of engine. Did it light up? I don't fully believe in what SX4 guy said. That car should have had engine temperature gauge. He could have monitored that for overheating. Only after that seizure would happen.
No Shipnil, the warning light did not light up.

And as far as the sx4 guy goes, he repeatedly took it to maruti who assured him it was an AC fault until it went kaput. I am not sure about the engine temp gauge. I will find out more details if you are interested to know. It was a diesel by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
A few days ago my friend's Diesel Figo had a similar problem. His radiator fan fuse had blown off.. He observed loss of cooling from the AC and noticed that the radiator fan was constantly running on full speed since a couple of days before the fuse finally gave way. So in his case the problem was:

Radiator Fan Speed Controller died> Radiator Fan running on full speed all the time> Radiator Fan fuse Blown off> Vehicle Over-Heating

As a result of which his car was overheating. Overheating not till the point where the lamp in the instrument console came on but he checked it in the "Additional Feature" mode of the digital MID (Trip Meter). His engine at standstill was heating up to 92 degrees whereas when moving it was running around 82 degrees. He got the fan speed controller and the fuse replaced to get it running the way it normally should.

So in case your AC is cutting out try to notice if this was at slow speeds or high speeds. It could be the car's way of taking off unwanted load from the engine when it is running hot.
Thanks Tgo. I need to find out more on the "additional feature" mode.

In my case, it always happened after she was running above hundred for like an hour or two. I always shift up and reach 100 smoothly. But i realised that my jackass-of-a-friend got way too excited (he drives a getz petrol) and floored it like there is no tomorrow. In fact I asked him to show "what-exactly-he-did".

anyway, no troubles at all inside the city or for short 200km rides. And this is exactly what the ford senior tech said:"this will happen only if u drive the car with AC on "2" fanspeed for long periods of time. the coil gets frozen and this is a problem with all figos (and fiestas)". I was taken aback. I was driving around on a Fiesta TDCi for such a long time and never had this. Anyway keeping my options open and planning to contact Ford directly. Good idea? anyone?

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2013 at 23:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " (MULTI-QUOTE) when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 6th November 2013, 02:07   #8725
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks in advance.
IMO a/c cut-off is usually due to engine overheating. This used to happen on my 2002 Zen mpfi as well. Initially i thought it was an a/c issue but later realized the radiator had a leak due to which all coolant had drained out, resulting in engine over-heating. Once i fixed that the issue never reappeared.
I suggest you try to replicate the issue again and when the problem actually happens, check the engine temperature by going into diagonastic mode (i think you need to keep the trip-meter stalk pressed and turn the key into ignition-on position) (fellow BHP'ians plz correct me if I'm wrong. Meanwhile I'll check this on my Figo in the morning)
Old 6th November 2013, 09:49   #8726
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Tgo. I need to find out more on the "additional feature" mode.
To put Figo into diagnostic mode, please follow the instructions give in the post below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2415920
Old 6th November 2013, 13:54   #8727
BHPian

Replaced the stock MRF tyres after 52000 km with Yokahama. 4 tyres cost Rs18000 with an additional Rs.1000/- for valves and balancing
Old 6th November 2013, 16:26   #8728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
I will check it with Ford guys to know that whether the absent feature is a mistake or have they removed the feature altogether.
Hi guys, today I checked with my SA about the absence of 6 speed intermittent wiper speed selector and he confirms that the feature is indeed no longer available.
Old 6th November 2013, 21:31   #8729
Team-BHP Support

The 6 speed intermittent wipe timing was a boon. All the 6 modes worked like a charm, especially in mode 1 and 6, it was like my wipers were in auto mode.
Old 6th November 2013, 23:20   #8730
BHPian

Guys, could you please let me know how long it will take for the RTB replacement and if we have any deadline to get this done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks