Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:29   #8581
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys I want your inputs on this one:

I had driven to Chail in my Figo over the weekend. Over there, the sump was hit by a stone resulting in the fuel pump breaking up leading to engine seizing. I have got the vehicle towed back to town from Kufri .

1) Is this kind of damage covered by insurance?
2) What we be the cost of an engine rebuild if a) the engine is rebored and there is no damage to the Turbo b) the turbo also has to be repaired/ replaced.

In case the repairs are not covered under insurance, I would like to get this done at an independent garage as the costs at Ford A** are prohibitive .

c) Is it advisable to get the engine rebored or have the half block replaced?

The car has 48 K Km on the odo. It is a titanium TDCI.

I hold a Zero Dep policy from Tata AIG.
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:44   #8582
BHPian

i own a figo 1.2 petrol. Done 30000 km is there any way to bump up my power and do you recommend any tuning chips or anything? even though i get almost 15 sec 1-100 times, i feel slow
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:30   #8583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
An issue pops up in my 2 year old FIGO.

Yesterday I noticed that car gave me 3 chimes when I was driving down on a slope. Hoped that it will be fuel warning, but when I checked for low fuel warning sign, it was not there. Ignored the chime and drove.

Today, I noticed that car gave me chimes when I break hard or while taking curves in around 30 to 40KM. On closer inspection I could see that Handbreak warning sign comes on, along with the chime and went off when the chime goes off.

I guess, its the break fluid. I didn't get time to check fluid level, but there must be some leak. Plans to visit A.S.S in couple of days and get this fixed. Do you guys have any Idea?
Handbrakes do not work with hydraulics, so the fluid levels wouldn't affect it. The chimes you are hearing is most probably due to the shut down of the engine caused when you depress your clutch, which you might have performed while braking hard/going down a slope etc. Both times the engine came back to life when you lifted your foot off the clutch, hence your car never stalled. The lights on the instrument cluster will be lit up when this happens, and most probably the yellow "engine check" light also should light up.

Please take your car to the A.S.S. and check if the ECU firmware is the latest version, if not, ask them to update it. This should solve the problem. If my guess is right, your car is affected by the infamous stalling issue that lot of us faced, and which later, was fixed by ECU firmware upgrade.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:47   #8584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
i own a figo 1.2 petrol. Done 30000 km is there any way to bump up my power and do you recommend any tuning chips or anything? even though i get almost 15 sec 1-100 times, i feel slow
Replacing the stock air filter with a cold air intake will help in better driveability and better low end torque. It won't bump up the power, but will lead to smoother and a bit faster acceleration.
Tuning box will not help this engine much .

0-100 in 15 will be the speedo indicated time. In reality , it will be 17-18 s.

Regards
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:00   #8585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Handbrakes do not work with hydraulics, so the fluid levels wouldn't affect it. ... was fixed by ECU firmware upgrade.
Thanks Jay.

May be you are right, but I still believe this has something to do with Brake/Clutch fluid. Following are my reasons.

#1. I will know if the car stalls. Suppose the car stalls, every lamps on the instrument console will lit up, this do not happen and neither I could feel stalling.

#2. Only break warning light comes up, no other warning lap lits.

#3. In the manual, it says that Break warning light comes up if the Break/Fluid is low.
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-wp_000364.jpg

I am gonna vist service people today, will let you know.

Again, thanks for your input.
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:45   #8586
BHPian

My Figo TDCi's (TITANIUM) routine 40K service is coming up in a week or so. What kind of cost should I expect (I read that it is in the range of 5K) ? There is nothing unusual to be taken care of; just a routine service ritual.

Also as I read about hissing sound, I would like to point out that I always hear a couple of HISS sounds (or rather something like a short air-sucking sounds) when I turn on the music system (it is the stock one on TITANIUM). There are no issues in functioning of the car in any which way because of this sound though. Has anyone experienced this ? Should I be worried about this for any probable future trouble ?
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:45   #8587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

I had driven to Chail in my Figo over the weekend. Over there, the sump was hit by a stone resulting in the fuel pump breaking up leading to engine seizing. ....
Sorry to hear about this. I don't have answers to your queries, but you have mentioned the fuel pump broke. I assume the engine seized because the sump broke and all the oil drained out and the engine was still running. I don't think a fuel pump failing can cause an engine to seize.

Since this is a kind of an accident, insurance should cover the damage. What does the dealer say ?
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:08   #8588
BHPian

Badboyscad, catalyst and sameer. touche! I too am feeling the wierd pulsations on the clutch pedal. As time goes on, the clutch begins to pulsate (i didnt feel them when the car was new) i believe you guys have given the car for the first service too. No issues other than this. Except my ride has borne the mark of traffic and idiots :@
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:59   #8589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
My Figo TDCi's (TITANIUM) routine 40K service is coming up in a week or so. What kind of cost should I expect (I read that it is in the range of 5K) ? There is nothing unusual to be taken care of; just a routine service ritual.

Also as I read about hissing sound, I would like to point out that I always hear a couple of HISS sounds (or rather something like a short air-sucking sounds) when I turn on the music system (it is the stock one on TITANIUM). There are no issues in functioning of the car in any which way because of this sound though. Has anyone experienced this ? Should I be worried about this for any probable future trouble ?
My TDCi Figo underwent 40K service last month and the bill was INR 4260/-
This included just routine servicing and I had asked them not to do wheel alignment and balancing since I always get it done from outside.

The short hissing sound is normal and nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if it's the power steering system or the AC that makes that hiss, but it wouldn't be the music system.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:15   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had driven to Chail in my Figo over the weekend. Over there, the sump was hit by a stone resulting in the fuel pump breaking up leading to engine seizing. I have got the vehicle towed back to town from Kufri .

2) What we be the cost of an engine rebuild if a) the engine is rebored and there is no damage to the Turbo b) the turbo also has to be repaired/ replaced.

In case the repairs are not covered under insurance, I would like to get this done at an independent garage as the costs at Ford A** are prohibitive .

I had a stone hit the oil sump, and had to replace the sump, oil filter & oil pump recently. See this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3131357

Insurance should cover it - the SA offered to kick start the process as soon as the damage was assessed. Although, in my case, I stopped as soon as I knew I was losing oil, so engine did not get seized.

In your case, the question will be - why did the engine get seized? As soon as the oil warning light comes on, you know you are running low on oil so you pull over and stop to check, right? Did you not notice?

I think the insurance company is definitely going to ask the same question, and quite possibly deny the claim for replacing the engine/engine rebuild.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:11   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it is covered but the engine damage won't be.

Quote:

In case the repairs are not covered under insurance, I would like to get this done at an independent garage as the costs at Ford A** are prohibitive ..
Cost of engine rebuild should be north of 50k.
Turbo would add another 20k

I'm not aware of the exact cost @ Ford service center.

1st you take quote from service center then try aftermarket.

Quote:

Its an unfortunate incident.
My 2 cent practical advise would be to get it repaired and sell or sell it in the current state itself (if you can find some buyer)

CRDi setups are very sensitive and once messed around, its almost impossible to get the original tuning back.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:43   #8592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I had a stone hit the oil sump, and had to replace the sump, oil filter & oil pump recently. See this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3131357

Insurance should cover it - the SA offered to kick start the process as soon as the damage was assessed. Although, in my case, I stopped as soon as I knew I was losing oil, so engine did not get seized.

In your case, the question will be - why did the engine get seized? As soon as the oil warning light comes on, you know you are running low on oil so you pull over and stop to check, right? Did you not notice?

I think the insurance company is definitely going to ask the same question, and quite possibly deny the claim for replacing the engine/engine rebuild.

In my case the sump did not break and there was no loss/ leakage of oil. I stopped the car and later on it did not start. I got the vehicle towed to a mechanic who opened up the sump and found the pump broken. The engine has seized. Photo of the broken part attached
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-001.jpg  

rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:04   #8593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case the sump did not break and there was no loss/ leakage of oil. I stopped the car and later on it did not start. I got the vehicle towed to a mechanic who opened up the sump and found the pump broken. The engine has seized. Photo of the broken part attached
Interesting. Did the oil warning light not come on? I thought that the oil warning light is for low oil pressure, which will come on if the pump breaks, if the filter clogs up, or if the oil level drops.
Is the oil warning light only for low oil level?
Old 3rd October 2013, 20:11   #8594
Senior - BHPian

It came on and that is when I stopped the car. however it was too late by then and the damage had been done. There is a possibility that I may have noticed the light a bit late as I was concentrationg on the hilly road.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:59   #8595
BHPian

Had taken my Figo to the Vadapalani MPL this morning for the RTB check. It just took about 5 minutes for them to do the inspection. The car was hoisted and a screw like gauge with threads on it used to check the RTB. And was declared fine. I recollect reading elsewhere that the inspection involves spraying the RTB and looking for signs of defect. Is this not done anymore? Can anybody who went in for a RTB inspection recently throw some light?

On a side note, I hit the infamous stalling issue a couple of weeks ago, while on OMR. Was doing around 60 on the odo and in the process of overtaking another car. Had to abandon the attempt since a barricade came up. Depressed the clutch to slowdown/downshift and the car went limp. Steering went tight as well. Luckily it was later in the night and not too much of traffic. Used the momentum of the car to bring it to a halt on the sidelines. Was a scary moment. Got the ECU firmware upgraded this morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks