Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 15:35   #8461
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Gentlemen, My 46k kms pre-worshipped Figo Titanium TDCi is giving me a small problem. While the car is in motion, there is a hissing noise behind the dashboard. It sounds a snake's hiss (No, I don't have a pet snake )

I am unable to figure out the cause of this noise. It doesn't happen regularly. What could be the issue ? has any one faced similar problem ?
Are sure it is from behind dashboard and not from outside? If the sound comes only while the car is moving, probably, it is wheel bearing of left or right front wheel. Put the front wheels on jack and rotate the wheels by hand and try to listen for the sound.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:32   #8462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Are sure it is from behind dashboard and not from outside? If the sound comes only while the car is moving, probably, it is wheel bearing of left or right front wheel. Put the front wheels on jack and rotate the wheels by hand and try to listen for the sound.
Quote:
Gentlemen, My 46k kms pre-worshipped Figo Titanium TDCi is giving me a small problem. While the car is in motion, there is a hissing noise behind the dashboard. It sounds a snake's hiss (No, I don't have a pet snake )

I am unable to figure out the cause of this noise. It doesn't happen regularly. What could be the issue ? has any one faced similar problem ?

This can be due to wear and tear of the Tyre too...proper rotation of the tire's can solve the issue. if not resolved then have a check up for ball bearings.
Old 7th August 2013, 17:26   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
While the car is in motion, there is a hissing noise behind the dashboard. It sounds a snake's hiss
It doesn't happen regularly. What could be the issue ? has any one faced similar problem ?
By any chance, this hissing noise is coming when the A/C is running? If not sure, just switch off the A/C and then see whether the noise still comes or not.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 7th August 2013, 18:51   #8464
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
By any chance, this hissing noise is coming when the A/C is running? If not sure, just switch off the A/C and then see whether the noise still comes or not.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Bang on Simple_Car.

Sabareesh, do check running with the A/C off. I had exactly the same issue in my palio. Though it happened intermittently, it did not cause a major issue with the A/C. It happens only when the A/C is switched on and not when the Fan alone is running. Yes it was a bit annoying when we want drive silently with the music off.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:01   #8465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Put the front wheels on jack and rotate the wheels by hand and try to listen for the sound.
Have done it. It's not from the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
This can be due to wear and tear of the Tyre too...proper rotation of the tire's can solve the issue. if not resolved then have a check up for ball bearings.
Haven't had any issues of wear and tear of tyres. I get balancing / alignment & tyre rotation done every 5k kms. Till date, no uneven tyre wear observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

Thanks,
Simple_car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Bang on Simple_Car.

Sabareesh, do check running with the A/C off. I had exactly the same issue in my palio. Though it happened intermittently, it did not cause a major issue with the A/C. It happens only when the A/C is switched on and not when the Fan alone is running. Yes it was a bit annoying when we want drive silently with the music off.
This is a food for thought indeed. My car A/C runs 100% of the time, never though of switching it off and observe. Will do so and update.

The sound doesn't persist continuously. It appears on irregular intervals and is pretty audible even with music on. I really couldn't find out any other symptoms which lead to this noise. Assuming that its coming from the A/C unit, what could be wrong ?

Last edited by Sabareesh : 7th August 2013 at 19:02.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:34   #8466
BHPian

Quote:
Will do so and update.

The sound doesn't persist continuously. It appears on irregular intervals and is pretty audible even with music on. I really couldn't find out any other symptoms which lead to this noise. Assuming that its coming from the A/C unit, what could be wrong ?
Dear Sabareesh sir,

Firstly, just confirm whether the noise is coming from the A/C or not.

Assuming that it comes from A/C, I have not really put my mind into it as yet since the sound comes intermittently and that too the intervals are really very long. On many days, I never hear it at all! I have not been able to replicate the sound in front of any mech till date. That said, my cooling has remained the same. If, your noise is coming at a more frequent interval, just take it to A.S.S. Will be very grateful if you can find any cause. And keep us updated.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 7th August 2013, 19:44   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
This is a food for thought indeed. My car A/C runs 100% of the time, never though of switching it off and observe. Will do so and update.

Yes it happened to me too at somewhat regular intervals only. I was never able to identify it and neither was my mechanic. He said "As long as the cooling efficiency is not disturbed, its no issue, else we may have to change the cooling coil". I never felt any affect to the cooling, so tried to ignore it by increasing the volume, or my Palio had too many other issues, I was never able to concentrate enough on this(forget about fixing it).

My guess is, it might be either lower level of A/C coolant gas or dust in the path of the A/C coolant flow which may be causing this. See when we just blow out air from mouth there is no sound, but when we blow through a hollow pipe we get a hissing sound.
I may be here. But check the level of A/C coolant, and if you do not find any reduction, why not try the cleaning of A/C at 3M or some other place.

Last edited by swami.n : 7th August 2013 at 19:45.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:29   #8468
BHPian

People who are facing this hissing issue, do check if this sound comes when you rotate your steering to extreme locks or quick movements. This is from the hps and it isnt an issue by itself, but i'd rather not have this noise. If this noise appears intermittently, try reducing your blower to a lower level and check.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:02   #8469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
People who are facing this hissing issue, do check if this sound comes when you rotate your steering to extreme locks or quick movements. This is from the hps and it isnt an issue by itself, but i'd rather not have this noise. If this noise appears intermittently, try reducing your blower to a lower level and check.
The steering makes a hissing sound while being turned. Its a known thing to most of the Figo owners. The hydraulic power steering is what makes that noise.

The hissing noise which I am talking about is altogether a different story. It comes even when the car is motion on a straight stretch. The noise appears irrespective of blower speed & fresh air or re circulation mode.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:18   #8470
BHPian

Quote:
The steering makes a hissing sound while being turned. Its a known thing to most of the Figo owners. The hydraulic power steering is what makes that noise.

The hissing noise which I am talking about is altogether a different story. It comes even when the car is motion on a straight stretch. The noise appears irrespective of blower speed & fresh air or re circulation mode.
Well, thats the first suspect ruled out. Try to find where exactly its coming from. If it doesnt appear when the ac is off, i would suspect the moving parts [compressor bearings/ belts etc. Not very sure of the intricacies involved]. If it comes under vibrations, then you have a different problem.
Old 8th August 2013, 17:42   #8471
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I need some guidance with my September 11 Figo done 35 K Km's. It is a diesel Titanium Model.

Of late there are two problems coming up:-

1) While changing the gear when the car is moving there is a click noise. Now when I change gears and car is stationary, that is no clutch used, this sound does not come, however while driving there is a very audible click, when gear is changed. What could be the problem, is it problem with clutch or gear?

2) Of late and existing Figo owners might know this, when you start the car and AC is turned on a constant engine sound is heard inside. My problem is that now when I accelerate, I hear a wroooom noise but it is not very enthusiastic sound but a more dead sound. This goes away when I am decelerating. What could be the problem here.

I am planning to take the car to the service center soon but would like to have some information about the defects beforehand so am not fooled by the service guys.

Thanks for your help.
Old 8th August 2013, 22:45   #8472
BHPian

Quote:

Do you hear the sound increasing while accelerating ?
Stop the car, try revving slowly, if the hissing noise continues to increase with acceleration, try checking the turbo tube!
I had experienced the sound in my scorpio and found the tube had a hole in it.
Old 9th August 2013, 09:57   #8473
BHPian

Has this been posted before?

Figo petrol to be revamped - with ECOBOOST without turbo
Old 9th August 2013, 12:20   #8474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post

I don't think the engine would make a big difference in terms of power and driveability. Probably torque would increase over the current 1.2 engine, but for me, its going a step down. Although they quote 80-90bhp without the turbo, in reality it would feel slightly more powerful than the current 1.2 Duratec due to the three cylinder set up. Same with the Ecosport with the Ecoboost engine. In relaity , it does not feel like 123bhp due to it's 3 cylinders.

There is no 'Boost' in Ecoboost without the turbo. It is another easy way for Ford by dumping an already existing engine by removing a part in it without much R&D just like the current one which is a scaled down version of the 1.4 Duratec from the Fiesta., which in turn is a scaled down verson of the 1.6. (71bhp-86bp-101bhp)

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 9th August 2013 at 12:27. Reason: typo
Old 9th August 2013, 14:08   #8475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
2) Of late and existing Figo owners might know this, when you start the car and AC is turned on a constant engine sound is heard inside. My problem is that now when I accelerate, I hear a wroooom noise but it is not very enthusiastic sound but a more dead sound. This goes away when I am decelerating. What could be the problem here.
Most probably it's the wheel bearing. Mine was replaced 3K kms back, at 37K odo reading, due to a similar sound. It was a hollow-ish booming sound which varies with the speed of the car. Becomes irritatingly loud at speeds above 80 kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks