Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 20:49   #10216
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Hi,

My figo in May/Jun 2015 started making a "sheesshh" kind of noise from the AC vent. It starts when I start the AC and ends when I switch it off. So, during my service in July 2015, I had asked the Ford dealer, where I got all my previous annual services done, to check for it. They said that A/C OH needs to be replaced and it costs around 9K+ and instead suggested that I top-up the gas. I did so and for a while, the sound has reduced.

Of late, I do hear that sound and I asked them to check it again. They were trying to hurry me off (it was a saturday was most of them being busy) and asked me to continue this way until that sound becomes way too frequent. I was also told it will cost around 12K now (jump of about 3K in 4 months time). I simply came back without doing anything to that.

I have limited knowledge with technicals and I am not sure if I should believe these guys. I am trying to understand the implications of this sound and if it is OK to continue with that sound from AC for longer time. Also, what would be the approximate cost of that? The intensity of the sound and the frequency is definitely less than what it was back in June/July. AC is working fine as of now. It is cooling the compartment fairly well so far. It is just me and my wife who travel in that most of the times and a direct cool air from the vent is good enough for us.

What is this sound? Should I get this worked quickly? Any issues if I continue with this for some more time as the dealer suggested?

I am not very happy with their service these days. A lot of confusion amongst themselves and not meeting my expectations. Now, that my car is out of warranty, can I simply go to someone else?

Please help!!

Regards,
Sri Harsha.
Hi harsha,
same problem was there with my figo(2010/tdci). leaking cooling coil is the culprit.filling refrigerant may temporarily solve the problem but with time gas leaks and compressor refuses to start.work was carried outside asc and costed me around 9k including gas filling.cooling coil is the weakest link in figo/fiesta's ac.
Esu Junior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 13:10   #10217

Re: Issues post servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
As I remember, the city mileage used to be in the range of 15-17 kmpl (averaged out over B2B traffic, early morning office drives, evening shopping rush etc). The tire pressure is 30psi since there are max two people in the car most of the time.

HTH
Wow not bad! I am getting a city mileage of 11.8 kmpl despite rarely driven in b2b peak hour traffic. During first service at 2500 km, Chennai Ford service center said that is the expected mileage and it may become better after 10000 km, I dont agree with that. At wits end on how to turn this around to better figures.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:02   #10218
BHPian

Re: Issues post servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jselvan_BluOval View Post
Wow not bad! I am getting a city mileage of 11.8 kmpl despite rarely driven in b2b peak hour traffic. During first service at 2500 km, Chennai Ford service center said that is the expected mileage and it may become better after 10000 km, I dont agree with that. At wits end on how to turn this around to better figures.
City mileage of 11.8 kmpl is definitely on lower side.

Here is a quick summary of practical tips on driving a diesel Figo for better fuel efficiency. I usually upshift at ~2K RPM and downshift at ~1.5K RPM thus keeping RPM within 1.5K-2K range as far as possible (by choosing appropriate gear for a given speed). Gentle acceleration and use of engine braking for slowing down also helps a lot.
RishikeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 15:43   #10219
Senior - BHPian

Noticed this kind of rusting and paint bubbling on my July 2013 Figo. I am now into my 3rd year and running on extended warranty. Showed this to the MPL Ford guys here and they acknowledged it is a paint defect. They have re-painted the whole quarter panel under warranty, but I find there's a shade difference, where this rear quarter panel looks a shade lighter that the doors.

While I was mighty impressed with their coming forward to address the problem, the work itself is not as good. Got to give it back and get it redone now.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20151027_160928695.jpg
Old 18th November 2015, 10:45   #10220
Senior - BHPian

A question for Figo owners:

My son was stuck in a jam for an hour today, and found the AC to be working on and off today. And when he finally reached his office, the red light for engine overheating had come on. He re-started after an hour and that light is no longer on.

I guess it has something to do with the infamous AC fan motor, so I'll get it checked tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've advised him to drive home this evening without the AC on.
His colleague, who's a Figo owner, suspects it is a weak battery, as he'd had similar issues some time ago. I do know the battery needs a change, but wonder if that could be the culprit.

Any clues?
Old 18th November 2015, 13:57   #10221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

My son was stuck in a jam for an hour today, and found the AC to be working on and off today. And when he finally reached his office, the red light for engine overheating had come on. He re-started after an hour and that light is no longer on.

I guess it has something to do with the infamous AC fan motor, so I'll get it checked tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've advised him to drive home this evening without the AC on.
His colleague, who's a Figo owner, suspects it is a weak battery, as he'd had similar issues some time ago. I do know the battery needs a change, but wonder if that could be the culprit.

Any clues?
It has to be the radiator fan motor. This thing stops working intermittently for some time before giving up totally. Check the connector contacts.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 15:00   #10222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
It has to be the radiator fan motor. This thing stops working intermittently for some time before giving up totally. Check the connector contacts.
Is that the same as the AC fan motor? I remember having that item changed under EW when my Fiesta was 2+ years old. If yes, then it has lasted 3 years 1 month on the Figo. Looks like Ford has planted some kind of booby trap that screws up that part just after warranty is over.
Old 18th November 2015, 15:54   #10223
BHPian

Quote:

My son was stuck in a jam for an hour today, and found the AC to be working on and off today. And when he finally reached his office, the red light for engine overheating had come on. He re-started after an hour and that light is no longer on. ...
Mentioning the obvious but have you checked the water level in the radiator? More often than not, it is this simple.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:21   #10224
BHPian

Quote:
Is that the same as the AC fan motor? I remember having that item changed under EW when my Fiesta was 2+ years old. If yes, then it has lasted 3 years 1 month on the Figo. Looks like Ford has planted some kind of booby trap that screws up that part just after warranty is over.
Yes, it is the same. There is only one fan in TDCI.
Figo diesel needs periodic inspection of the AC evaporator coil,drive belt and the fan motor.
Other common complaints are the stabilizer link rod noise and sticking ignition key barrel.
That's it. Engine and suspension is robust and can take a lot of abuse.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:30   #10225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any clues?
AC Fan motor !!
Same symptom observed in my car 2 months back. Got it replaced and its all fine so far.
However, this happened to me after driving through water logged roads.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:33   #10226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
AC Fan motor !!
Same symptom observed in my car 2 months back. Got it replaced and its all fine so far.
Same to same in my swift also. Waterlogged road = conked off AC fan motor = Replaced at an FNG
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:59   #10227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Mentioning the obvious but have you checked the water level in the radiator? More often than not, it is this simple.
All fine on Sunday, when I did my routine check. I clean the engine bay with a cloth every weekend. The car was serviced last month, just before the EW was expiring. I made a trip to Bangalore too on it. Everything was fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Yes, it is the same. There is only one fan in TDCI.
Figo diesel needs periodic inspection of the AC evaporator coil,drive belt and the fan motor.
Other common complaints are the stabilizer link rod noise and sticking ignition key barrel.
That's it. Engine and suspension is robust and can take a lot of abuse.
Well listed. Even the petrol Fiesta (Classic) has issues with the AC fan motor and the Evaporator, but the latter went kaput only after 8 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
AC Fan motor !!
No water-logging here on Hyd roads. Nonetheless, it is a part that is known to fail in Fords. I think it costs around 5 K. I wonder if I can get it done at an FNG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Same to same in my swift also. Waterlogged road = conked off AC fan motor = Replaced at an FNG
It is a rare failure in a Maruti. My WagonR's AC is running on the original gas for the past 14+ years. However, the mechanicals are more prone to failure than a Ford.
Old 19th November 2015, 14:59   #10228
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update to yesterday's issues with the AC not working at times, and the engine overheating lamp turning on.

As advised, my son returned last night with the AC off, and everything seemed normal. I checked the coolant reservoir this morning, and it was at normal level.

I then took it to Vibrant Ford and explained what had happened yesterday to the SA. He opened the bonnet and asked me to switch the engine on, and then the AC. He placed his hand behind the radiator and said the fan was indeed working, but appeared to be a bit weak, going by the wind behind it. He said it could be the culprit, and would set me back by Rs 7500.

I agreed to his suggestion to have the battery replaced also for Rs 4900 (after 500 discount for the old one). I do know Amaron is available for around 500 INR less, but the SA told me no batteries sold outside will have the correct reading of 390/63 V. And that difference could cause issues. Not sure if he was bullshitting, but I agreed to his suggestion. He estimated 45 minutes for both jobs, so I kept waiting.
But when i peeped into their service bay afterwards, the technician said the fan seemed to be fine. They could not replicate the issue, despite keeping the AC on for nearly 25 minutes. He said the temperature remained within normal range. He suspects a faulty thermostat valve, that would cost 5000 INR. But he advised me to use the car for a few days and return to them if the issue comes back again.

So I returned with the new battery in the car, and with the AC in position 2. Everything worked like the charm during the 7 km drive to home. Keeping my fingers crossed.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 15:04   #10229
BHPian

Quote:

I then took it to Vibrant Ford and explained what had happened yesterday to the SA. He opened the bonnet and asked me to switch the engine on, and then the AC. He placed his hand behind the radiator and said the fan was indeed working, but appeared to be a bit weak, going by the wind behind it. He said it could be the culprit, and would set me back by Rs 7500.

I agreed to his suggestion to have the battery replaced also for Rs 4900 (after 500 discount for the old one). I do know Amaron is available for around 500 INR less, but the SA told me no batteries sold outside will have the correct reading of 390/63 V. And that difference could cause issues. Not sure if he was bullshitting, but I agreed to his suggestion. He estimated 45 minutes for both jobs, so I kept waiting.
But when i peeped into their service bay afterwards, the technician said the fan seemed to be fine. They could not replicate the issue, despite keeping the AC on for nearly 25 minutes. He said the temperature remained within normal range. He suspects a faulty thermostat valve, that would cost 5000 INR. But he advised me to use the car for a few days and return to them if the issue comes back again.

So I returned with the new battery in the car, and with the AC in position 2. Everything worked like the charm during the 7 km drive to home. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Which battery did you get from the A.S.S? I really doubt if what he said is really true. I replaced my Figo's battery few months back with Amaron FLO and I haven't faced any issues so far.
Old 19th November 2015, 16:45   #10230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Which battery did you get from the A.S.S? I really doubt if what he said is really true. I replaced my Figo's battery few months back with Amaron FLO and I haven't faced any issues so far.
Motorcraft Race with a 2-year warranty. I'm not sure of what he said, but I'd replaced my Fiesta's battery with an Amaron 3 years back. No issues so far. But the only minor issue is that the rectangular red clip does not sit tight on the positive terminal.

In my previous visit to Vibrant Ford, one of the SAs showed me another Figo that had an Amaron procured from outside, like mine. He said that because most of the parts in the area around the battery were made of plastic and rubber, sparks from the battery could ignite them, leading to fire. He said there were a few cars that had caught fire all over the country, and this was one of the primary suspects. He said if the plastic cover sits tight, the spark would be arrested there itself.

Not sure how true that was, but I did not want to take any risk with my Figo's electricals for a meager 500 bucks. And yes, I am aware that Amaron would have given me 3rd year warranty too.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks