Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2013, 00:55   #7771
Senior - BHPian

Strange noise/vibration when making a U-turn

Hey everyone,

I have been noticing this strange sound & mild vibrations whenever I am making a U-turn. Its more prominent in the 2nd gear (say, when one makes a U-turn normally after braking near the turn & shifting to a lower gear), but far less prominent when I am stationary (say, at a red signal) & then start off in the 1st gear.

Its been there for quite a while but I didn't think much of it, but lately, it seems to have increased & I am sure that I am not lugging the engine. I have driven a friend's Figo as well to ensure this & his car didn't make any noises like mine.

I am supposed to go in for my car's 2nd service at the end of this week & thus, would request urgent responses so that I can accordingly take it up with the ASC.
Old 28th February 2013, 17:17   #7772
BHPian

Re: Strange noise/vibration when making a U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I have been noticing this strange sound & mild vibrations whenever I am making a U-turn. Its more prominent in the 2nd gear (say, when one makes a U-turn normally after braking near the turn & shifting to a lower gear), but far less prominent when I am stationary (say, at a red signal) & then start off in the 1st gear.
Are you sure it's coming up when you take a U-turn, or have you noticed it while driving over rough patches in the road too? If the sound resembles a bassy metal to metal "trrrr" striking noise, it can be the brake calliper vibration. It's a known issue in the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks guys for your prompt response. I'm not sure if it is a bearing sound, as I don't regularly use the Figo. I'll check and report again in a week.

Could it be the hum jayded reported at a particular rpm? Let me check and get back.
Even I get a humming sound while cruising above 60-70 kms and I i turn off the fan. I was thinking it was due to the tire noise since my stock MRFs are on their last legs. Not sure if it's something else.

Last edited by jayded : 28th February 2013 at 17:23.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 18:59   #7773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
...Even I get a humming sound while cruising above 60-70 kms and I i turn off the fan. I was thinking it was due to the tire noise
Could be the turbo? If you drive in the non-turbo zone, you should be able to verify it, based on what rpms does the turbo start spooling.
Old 1st March 2013, 00:55   #7774
Senior - BHPian

The brake calliper noise is there in my car, but this just seems a lot more prominent. The sound appears as if the engine is vibrating a lot, or something inside the engine bay is vibrating (maybe some plastic thing), but not sure. In fact, it is because of this nature of the sound that I first ensured the correctness of my driving style (so that I am not lugging the engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Are you sure it's coming up when you take a U-turn, or have you noticed it while driving over rough patches in the road too? If the sound resembles a bassy metal to metal "trrrr" striking noise, it can be the brake calliper vibration. It's a known issue in the Figo.
Old 1st March 2013, 07:35   #7775
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could be the turbo? If you drive in the non-turbo zone, you should be able to verify it, based on what rpms does the turbo start spooling.
Are you referring to the turbo whistle or speculating an issue with the turbo? It's definitely not the former, since this is not the pleasant whistle, but more of a sad hum. I hope it's just a tire noise and nothing big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
The brake calliper noise is there in my car, but this just seems a lot more prominent. The sound appears as if the engine is vibrating a lot, or something inside the engine bay is vibrating (maybe some plastic thing), but not sure. In fact, it is because of this nature of the sound that I first ensured the correctness of my driving style (so that I am not lugging the engine).
I too used to get the same sounds. I even asked the guy at the A.S.S. to check the engine mounts, but he insisted that was not the problem. Next time the vibration pops up, I am trying to push for calliper replacements. Better to do it before the warranty expires.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:26   #7776
BHPian

A question for current figo owners:

Does the tdci engine develop noise after 1L+ kms like other engines?
Old 1st March 2013, 10:50   #7777
BHPian

The most used Figo i know (from FB Figo Owners Club) is 70000+ kms old & as per the owner is running like new without any issues in driveline.
Old 1st March 2013, 14:54   #7778
Team-BHP Support

Akshay4587's friend's Figo has done over 1L and as per him, its running like it used to. No issues/niggles to report of. I am tagging him here (via FB) hope he responds.
Old 1st March 2013, 15:42   #7779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
A question for current figo owners:

Does the tdci engine develop noise after 1L+ kms like other engines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
The most used Figo i know (from FB Figo Owners Club) is 70000+ kms old & as per the owner is running like new without any issues in driveline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Akshay4587's friend's Figo has done over 1L and as per him, its running like it used to. No issues/niggles to report of. I am tagging him here (via FB) hope he responds.
The Car(June 2010) is 1.04L on odo today,and it just returned from a 1200 Round trip.Just before this trip,the car went through cooling coil replacement,as gas had leaked,and some parts were replaced in the front suspension.Not to mention,this car goes through a lot of abuse,as my friend never slows down for potholes and is always revved hard,and the engine still feels good for another 1L.I will confirm,but timing belt\Chain was recently replaced as a part of preventive maintenance.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 16:05   #7780
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's the link to watch the Figo Special Edition unveil.

4th March, 1330 hours.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 16:54   #7781
BHPian

Yesterday after driving 10-12 kms, I observed an unusual kind of noise when the revs were exactly @ 1000 RPM. At first it thought that it might be some stick or bush entangled to the wheel but when i stopped and observed, found that the sound was coming from the engine itself. The sound is a sort of friction/rubbing kind, As if a bearing is running without any grease. Its emanating from the area near the pulley/belt/power steering pump. When I started the car today morning, I could not hear the sound. May be it would reappear when the engine heats again. What could be the Issue? I cleaned the engine bay with half bucket of water day before yesterday. Could it be the reason?

Its a 2010 1.4 TDCI done 19000 kms. Last service was carried out @ 15k kms. I have decided to get the service done every 5k kms, owing to extreme dusty and bad roads here. Will take the car for 20000 service as soon as it completes the 20 k mark.

Should I go for the diesel filter change? What is the cost and time involved?

The car is frequently stalling when the clutch is pressed to down shift. Last time I missed a turn and went on a wrong side, as the car died just before the turn. Will get the ECU flashed this time.

Also, the left brake caliper noise is another fly in the ointment. Should I go for change in caliper? Greasing is not helping for more than 500 kms.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 1st March 2013 at 17:03.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:49   #7782
BHPian

Talked to a person who is employed in ford regarding the figo anniversary edition and he didn't tell me much except that it may not sport rear power windows. A new paint/decal and a small badge is one of the few features that will differentiate it from the other versions it seems. There may be other changes as well, but he wouldn't tell me about it.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 2nd March 2013 at 12:52. Reason: added some stuff
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:14   #7783
BHPian

This is what I received in my mail today. It's like a teaser/invite for the launch of the special edition Figo on 4th. While it gives some hints about what we can expect, I just hope it just doesn't be one of those crazy artwork-ed cars like the cheetah XUV Edition.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-ford-mailer.jpg
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:35   #7784
BHPian

Found this online on the ford figo page.

Not much in the way of unveil, but its clear the anniversary edition figo will sport some decals(pretty obvious) and i did notice the door handles had a subtle difference in the sketch the guys were doing.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 3rd March 2013 at 01:38.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:31   #7785
BHPian

Got the front right Link rod replaced, as there was some noise from it and it had developed 'Play' as per the SA.

Cost ~ 1300/-

They refused to do it under warranty, as my car had done 35K, and the warranty of the link rod is only till 20K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks