Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 20:18   #7726
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

In case of a minor top-up you can very safely add some distilled water, without diluting the existing coolant mix. Ford uses a long life coolant which need not be replaced frequently, a top up is just fine.

Also never add or mix different grade/type of coolant other than OE, adding distilled water is a safer option than mixing different grades of coolant.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:21   #7727
Senior - BHPian

A very valid point indeed & I would like to stress further on it in case of India. The reason is that most after-market coolants available OTC are actually Inorganic while most manufacturers have moved to at least HOATs & no longer employ IATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
In case of a minor top-up you can very safely add some distilled water, without diluting the existing coolant mix. Ford uses a long life coolant which need not be replaced frequently, a top up is just fine.

Also never add or mix different grade/type of coolant other than OE, adding distilled water is a safer option than mixing different grades of coolant.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:54   #7728
Team-BHP Support

Figo owners, if your front bumper has the black grill portion fading and looking whitish, do give this a try. I got the CF wrap done on the front bumper from 3M and it makes a world of a difference in the front looks. The pic below is before the number plate was put back on.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figocf1.jpg

More details on the work here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...ml#post3047533 (3M Car Care (HSR Layout, Bangalore))

Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:03   #7729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Figo owners, if your front bumper has the black grill portion fading and looking whitish, do give this a try. I got the CF wrap done on the front bumper from 3M
Or you could use something like a Trim restorer or rubber/plastic protectant to restore the blackness. I used Meguiars Hyperdresser to get it back in its original dark colors. Just saying so cause even the cf wrap will lose some of its lustre after a while being exposed to the sun and all pollutants, so you will need to maintain that as well.

I shall post a few pictures of my recent engine bay cleaning to show the effectiveness of Hyperdresser.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_152540.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_152610.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_152616.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_152625.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_161741.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_161800.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-120130220_161824.jpg

After a day it turns even blacker as I checked out yesterday. haven't clicked pics of that. It was effective even for my front bumper and mudguards. I used at 1:4 dilution. At a higher concentration, it would have given a more glossy black appearance.

Please excuse if its not 100% perfect as this was the first time I did such a thing.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 22nd February 2013 at 11:16.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:05   #7730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Or you could use something like a Trim restorer or rubber/plastic protectant to restore the blackness. I used Meguiars Hyperdresser to get it back in its original dark colors. Just saying so cause even the cf wrap will lose some of its lustre after a while being exposed to the sun and all pollutants, so you will need to maintain that as well.
Yes but problem is a dresser needs to be applied regularly and you need to maintain it. The wrap lasts much longer and even if it gets dirty or loses the lustre, we just change the wrap. If you can maintain it then nothing like it.
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:40   #7731
BHPian

Quote:

Yes but problem is a dresser needs to be applied regularly and you need to maintain it. The wrap lasts much longer and even if it gets dirty or loses the lustre, we just change the wrap. If you can maintain it then nothing like it.
But wont putting the wrap again be costlier than just using dresser? I bought just 250ml of dresser@ 275 rs diluted it to a litre and still have used only 50ml of the diluted solutoon including my bike and car.

All Im saying is even if you have cf wrap, do maintain it with a dresser as replacing again and again can become costly. Plus a dresser is a durable stuff. Especially this Megs one. Ive put it on my cars tyres and its almost a week and no fading yet. Drove some 300kms with it on.

Just recommending a cost effective option. Although cf wrap will give a new look to it but then you should even wrap the trim on the rear bumper and on the doors panels so that its uniform.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:16   #7732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
So if this is the case and your amp has this kind of option, you can give it a try! Do post the details of the project and change in output quality.
After some thought process and digging up in team-bhp, Fixed the Infinity Reference components on my Figo. The trusty accessory shop guy suggested Reference series over Harman.

Here is the setup,
Sony XPLOD two-channel amp driving the front components, getting speaker level input on its 'high level input' port. Clipped the speaker wire, so no tampering with OEM wires to take care of the waranty issues.

The output is welcoming, yet to see the full effect after some run-in.

Amp goes under the front passenger seat and hidden. Tweeters over the dash. To a normal eye nothing is visible, except one can feel some clear music. It seems i need to tweak the amp as i feel that it over assist the comps.
Will post my feedback after some run in.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:20   #7733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But wont putting the wrap again be costlier than just using dresser? I bought just 250ml of dresser@ 275 rs diluted it to a litre and still have used only 50ml of the diluted solutoon including my bike and car.

All Im saying is even if you have cf wrap, do maintain it with a dresser as replacing again and again can become costly. Plus a dresser is a durable stuff. Especially this Megs one. Ive put it on my cars tyres and its almost a week and no fading yet. Drove some 300kms with it on.

Just recommending a cost effective option. Although cf wrap will give a new look to it but then you should even wrap the trim on the rear bumper and on the doors panels so that its uniform.
I've already wrapped the trims around the outer mirrors. Still contemplating the rear bumper area. This CF wrap does not need any dressing, only wipe during regular wash.

I have the dressing with me as well but never have the time to dress it every week. Ideally to maintain the black look on the plastic panel you need to dress it every week. If your car is parked in the sun it gets even worse. Also I hate the shiny or artificial look the dressers give. I prefer no gloss and no grease dry look.

CF wrap used on the front was barely 3 feet by 1feet @ of Rs.350/sqft with lifetime warranty. If it peels or faded 3M will replace it.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:54   #7734
BHPian

Quote:
CF wrap used on the front was barely 3 feet by 1feet @ of Rs.350/sqft with lifetime warranty. If it peels or faded 3M will replace it.
One of my friend who has Aquarium shops gets 3M's 3D Carbon Fibre film around Rs.30/- per sq feet in JC Road, Bangalore.
But Rs.350/- for 3 sq feet is bit exhorbitant. We can get the film there and DIY will be good option.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:01   #7735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
One of my friend who has Aquarium shops gets 3M's 3D Carbon Fibre film around Rs.30/- per sq feet in JC Road, Bangalore.
But Rs.350/- for 3 sq feet is bit exhorbitant. We can get the film there and DIY will be good option.
Yup you can get it locally also for much cheaper. I just preferred to go for branded 3M and wanted it installed perfectly by professionals. I doubt 3M in JC road is original although it will look the same.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:25   #7736
BHPian

Quote:
I've already wrapped the trims around the outer mirrors. Still contemplating the rear bumper area. This CF wrap does not need any dressing, only wipe during regular wash.

I have the dressing with me as well but never have the time to dress it every week. Ideally to maintain the black look on the plastic panel you need to dress it every week. If your car is parked in the sun it gets even worse. Also I hate the shiny or artificial look the dressers give. I prefer no gloss and no grease dry look.

The 3M material is good, no doubt. And with the lifetime warranty, definitely makes sense to go for it. I had no idea about the warranty on the vinyl hence suggested just the dressing.

About the dressing, which one are you using? If you notice the pictures Ive posted, that of the engine, you can see its a satiny finish and not the glossy one. Im also not a fan of the gloss. Earlier I had the 3m one and it gave only glossy looks. Although one can get the glossy finish with the hyperdresser by concentrating it more. And this Megs dressers seems to be lasting long enough even on my bikes tyres and plastics. Its been a week since I washed my bike. All it takes is just a wipe to get that look back.

Autogeek - Meguiars Hyperdressing D170

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 22nd February 2013 at 16:27.
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:12   #7737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

May I ask how you applied that diluted dresser on the engine bay? Did you use a paint brush? Was it not difficult to apply it on the hose pipes, that have grooves all over them?

I'm asking as I have plans to dress up my Fiesta's engine bay, which looks similar to yours (I assume yours is a petrol Figo).

And I suppose the same dressing can be applied to the radiator honey comb grill on the Fiesta, apart from the black portions on the ORVMs?

I'd have given the CF wrapper a shot, but the bumper on the Fiesta is body-coloured. And I'm not sure how much it costs for the Figo, as someone has only quoted Rs per sft.

Another general question I have for Figo tdci owners is when is the 3rd service due? I do know the 2nd is at 10000 kms or 12 months. And is the 3rd service free?

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd February 2013 at 20:30.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:00   #7738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
May I ask how you applied that diluted dresser on the engine bay? Did you use a paint brush? Was it not difficult to apply it on the hose pipes, that have grooves all over them?

I'm asking as I have plans to dress up my Fiesta's engine bay, which looks similar to yours (I assume yours is a petrol Figo).

And I suppose the same dressing can be applied to the radiator honey comb grill on the Fiesta, apart from the black portions on the ORVMs?

Sir, mine is indeed a petrol figo. I sprayed the dresser all over the black parts, thus ensuring an even coverage. You can even spread it our with an mf cloth if you like or a foam applicator pad. I did two passes with a sprayer and that worked for me.

I used the paint brush only for working the APC into the nooks and crannies like the nuts and bolts etc. I used the white clothes brush for the majority of the black plastic.

Yes the same can be applied to the outer radiator grille if its plastic or rubber. And also the black ORVMs and door trims if any.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:09   #7739
Senior - BHPian

Third service is at 20k kms and it is not free.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 00:57   #7740
BHPian

Was in a royal dilemma for around 4 months regarding what car to buy, ended up spotting the lovely american damsel, her eyes and footwear had me head over heals and before i knew it, it was love at first sight for me . Went ahead and booked the titanium tdci, delivery will be done in the next month. Hopefully she doesn't come in my dreams and make me lose sanity .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks