Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 16:20   #10036
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Folks, couple of months back I got my Figo's 30K service done. After the service the noticed that gradually the mileage has dropped from ~14kmpl in city to ~11kmpl and the engine is not smooth as well. Left the car with Elite ford today. They have informed that ECU shows a EGR fault code. They need to remove and clean the assembly and see if it resolves the problem.

A.S.S is claiming that its a time consuming part to remove and re-install. Wanted to know if EGR issues are common or known on Figo TDCi? Also how much would replacement cost? I have extd warranty so hopefully will be covered if needed.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:15   #10037
BHPian

Did you notice the Engine Check Light? The ECL and sudden loss of power was bothering me since 7-8 months and during the last service the mechanic removed-cleaned-refitted the EGR valve set up in just 2 hours. Later he connected the OBD scanner and found previously registered EGR fault code and few other codes as well. Cleared all the logs and also changed the diesel filter. After this, the engine felt better and touch wood the ECL hasn't appeared again.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:46   #10038
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Left the car with Elite ford today. They have informed that ECU shows a EGR fault code. They need to remove and clean the assembly and see if it resolves the problem.

A.S.S is claiming that its a time consuming part to remove and re-install. Wanted to know if EGR issues are common or known on Figo TDCi? Also how much would replacement cost? I have extd warranty so hopefully will be covered if needed.
After the car was with you post the 30K service, did you notice any CEL or malfunction indicator on the dash? If not then it I doubt the that the EGR error validity OR else they would have found it but without telling they would have cleared to solve the issue temporarily. Now the EGR repair and labour costs are income for them.

EGR cleaning does 8-10 hours to be done. If you are talking of EGR valve replacement then expect the bill to be between 18-25K. If the car is under warranty then peace of mind but I suggest you to look at the extended warranty booklet so that you can get an idea on what is covered and what isn't covered.

Do keep us posted.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 00:06   #10039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Did you notice the Engine Check Light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
After the car was with you post the 30K service, did you notice any CEL or malfunction indicator on the dash? If not then it I doubt the that the EGR error validity OR else they would have found it but without telling they would have cleared to solve the issue temporarily. Now the EGR repair and labour costs are income for them.
Thanks guys. The engine check light never came up on my car. Possible that A.S.S cleared the fault codes last time during 30K service. I got the car back today morning after leaving it over the weekend. A.S.S claimed that they cleaned EGR and replaced, cleared the fault code and drove for 10+kms and again checked but no fault code came back. I test drove the car and it certainly seems more free revving and eager during pick up. However since its not my daily ride I am not the best judge, my wife drives it to work. Ever since I bought the XUV which is my daily ride, figo's TDCi does seem very rough and loud to me in comparison . Main check would be the average of the car. If I get back to 13-14kmpl in the city then certainly things are back to normal, else A.S.S will replace EGR under extd warranty. It would cost about 21K. Unfortunately I dont have lot of trust in Elite FOrd A.S.S. All the known technicians have changed and the new one seem to be doing lot of judge work. Fingers crossed and hoping problem resolves.
Old 25th June 2015, 16:05   #10040
BHPian

I am nearing the the 40K mark and seems i am quite close to changing the tires, I want to know if up-sizing the tires is a good option and what should be the optimum size , if i up-size from the stock.

Planning for Michelin X1 as many have discussed and found it to be one of the best along with Yokohama, but i have found Michelin to be more popular.
Please help me pick between the two and the correct size. I drive a Titanium Diesel.

Moreover, Recently i feel the car a lot sluggish and it does not respond as it used to in second gear, at times i feel i have flat tire but that is not the case, Tires also have optimum Nitrogen in them, The car itself is giving that lag. Any specific reasons for such sluggishness ?

Last edited by ashishmathur14 : 25th June 2015 at 16:13. Reason: sentence correction
Old 25th June 2015, 16:23   #10041
BHPian

Awesome and accurate review.
I owned a Figo 1.4 TDCi (Titanium) for 3.5 years (until I changed to the i20, about month ago). After almost 68000 kms in the little 'big' thing, I can totally agree with everything you have mentioned about the car, upfront.
The only point I thought worth mentioning, was the performance on the highway, I thought, was more exciting than in the cities. Some 10-12 rounds trips between Hyd and Chennai (GREAT Roads !!!), only made me feel wanting to do more! The car was perfectly stable and instilled confidence to go to high three digit speeds... Excellent mileage too - @ 21 kmpl. No signs of the engine tiring at 3200 - 3500 rpm over extended periods.
Old 26th June 2015, 00:39   #10042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
I am nearing the the 40K mark and seems i am quite close to changing the tires, I want to know if up-sizing the tires is a good option and what should be the optimum size , if i up-size from the stock.

Planning for Michelin X1 as many have discussed and found it to be one of the best along with Yokohama, but i have found Michelin to be more popular.
Please help me pick between the two and the correct size. I drive a Titanium Diesel.

Moreover, Recently i feel the car a lot sluggish and it does not respond as it used to in second gear, at times i feel i have flat tire but that is not the case, Tires also have optimum Nitrogen in them, The car itself is giving that lag. Any specific reasons for such sluggishness ?
The ideal upsize is to 185/60/R14, while i ungraded to 185/65/R14 for the little bit extra side wall height. The upsize is still within the recommended variance of 3%. You will love the extra bit of grip these wider tires provide.

I am guessing you are talking about the Michelin XM2+. They are no doubt really good tires with high grip levels. I upgraded mine to Yokohama C-Drives, for their slightly more rugged construction over the softer Michelins. Its close to 30K kms on them now and have not had any issues so far. Excellent grip and comfort levels (though the Michelins would be more comfortable)
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 11:05   #10043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The ideal upsize is to 185/60/R14, while i ungraded to 185/65/R14 for the little bit extra side wall height. The upsize is still within the recommended variance of 3%. You will love the extra bit of grip these wider tires provide.

I am guessing you are talking about the Michelin XM2+. They are no doubt really good tires with high grip levels. I upgraded mine to Yokohama C-Drives, for their slightly more rugged construction over the softer Michelins. Its close to 30K kms on them now and have not had any issues so far. Excellent grip and comfort levels (though the Michelins would be more comfortable)
Thanks for the info Jayded. Does the up-sizing have any impact on FE ?
How does it impact the handling of the car specially at higher speed levels, cornering and driving dynamics ? Any threat to Warranty or car suspensions ?
Old 26th June 2015, 11:57   #10044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Thanks for the info Jayded. Does the up-sizing have any impact on FE ?
How does it impact the handling of the car specially at higher speed levels, cornering and driving dynamics ? Any threat to Warranty or car suspensions ?
The car handles much better on the straights and really grips better on the corners. Basically you'll feel much more confident taking those curves. My stock tires were MRF and moving to Yokos eliminated a lot of the road noise the MRFs were making. No significant drop in FE, but then it might affect the warranty for suspension and related parts. But that depends on your relationship with the A.S.S.
Old 26th June 2015, 12:12   #10045
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
The car handles much better on the straights and really grips better on the corners. Basically you'll feel much more confident taking those curves. My stock tires were MRF and moving to Yokos eliminated a lot of the road noise the MRFs were making. No significant drop in FE, but then it might affect the warranty for suspension and related parts. But that depends on your relationship with the A.S.S.

My current stock is Goodyear and noise levels are fine on Tar roads, but higher on concrete. Handling is good too, may be i am yet to experience that oomph factor after upgrade. Relation with F.A.A.S as of now i don't have, as i have recently moved to another city and yet to get a service done over here, I had a decent relationship with my previous dealership and SA.
Considering FE, it shouldn't much be effected, even if it is should not be more than by 1kmpl max ? I guess !
Old 27th June 2015, 20:19   #10046
BHPian

Hi guys

I purchased a second-hand Figo Titatnium (diesel) four months back. This is my first car and I have very little driving experience before this. I just wanted to know from Figo owners about the gear shifts. Initially, I used to experience a lot of jerks when i shifted gears. I put it down to my inexperience. Over time, the jerks have reduced in frequency and severity, but i still get them sometimes. I usually shift gears around 2000-2200 rpm. But sometimes, it seems to shift flawlessly, while other times, i get a mild jerk. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and would appreciate your inputs on the optimal rpm/speed for shifting gears on a Figo.
Old 27th June 2015, 20:32   #10047
BHPian

You are shifting at the right RPM. Make sure you are at right gear at right speed. Early shifts may result in jerky take offs. You may give the car to an experienced driver and sit beside him and notice if the car jerks while shifting. If the car still jerks, take it to the service centre and get it checked. Ask the service folks about the service history of the vehicle. Also, share the mileage at which you bought it.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 20:49   #10048
BHPian

Quote:
You are shifting at the right RPM. Make sure you are at right gear at right speed. Early shifts may result in jerky take offs. You may give the car to an experienced driver and sit beside him and notice if the car jerks while shifting. If the car still jerks, take it to the service centre and get it checked. Ask the service folks about the service history of the vehicle. Also, share the mileage at which you bought it.
I bought it at 43k km. There were no such jerks when a test drive was taken on a vist to the service center. Also, during my driving classes, I used to get jerks while shifiting. So I think it has more to do with my driving. I also had the tendency to release the clutch too quickly, and i try to release it more gradually now.
Old 27th June 2015, 20:53   #10049
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi guys

I purchased a second-hand Figo Titatnium (diesel) four months back. This is my first car and I have very little driving experience before this. I just wanted to know from Figo owners about the gear shifts. Initially, I used to experience a lot of jerks when i shifted gears. I put it down to my inexperience. Over time, the jerks have reduced in frequency and severity, but i still get them sometimes. I usually shift gears around 2000-2200 rpm. But sometimes, it seems to shift flawlessly, while other times, i get a mild jerk. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and would appreciate your inputs on the optimal rpm/speed for shifting gears on a Figo.
nothing wrong with the RPM at which you shift. Since you say "sometimes jerks but not always" I would suggest check for fuel injectors. Go the FASS and ask them about "injector adaptation" for the TDCi. They will run a check on the injectors & tell you if something is wrong.
Old 29th June 2015, 20:39   #10050
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you are at right gear at right speed. Early shifts may result in jerky take offs.
That seems to be it. Kept an eye on the speed while shifting today and had a smooth ride. Thanks.
JonSnow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks