Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 14:45   #9286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Okay, so I got my service done at Metro Ford in St Marks road on Saturday. Great experience overall. Standard 20k/2 year service. It cost me 4690 bucks for all oils changed. Plus, they changed the rear shock absorbers under warranty since they felt it was weak. Super. Car rides really well now. Apparently the rear torsion beam was called for replacement, and they did check and noticed that it was replaced. So thats cool.

The power steering hose was called for replacement only on the petrol models - was what i was told.

I also noticed the oil sump...and I am not happy at all. It really needs some kind of protection. I'm amazed nobody's got this done yet. No aluminum fabricated sump guards?

Changed over to Osram NB - saw that there's something called NB Plus which costs a crazy 2200 bucks. No thank you. Also got a nice new horn done.

Great experience with Metro Ford. First time in my life I didn't stand around the car like an ape with an OCD issue the whole service. I dropped it off and went back and collected the car in the afternoon.

Beginning to enjoy this little "blue collar worker" car (also call her the honest man's car). She's named Hathikuli - its TATA's biggest tea estate in Assam which I visited and stayed at last year (Kaziranga). And the car reminds me of a baby elephant.

I've decided I'm not doing synthetic or any of that. Keep it to standard ford oil's and change over every 8k ams preventively. She ain't a performance machine.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th May 2014 at 14:48.
Old 5th May 2014, 17:32   #9287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Okay, so I got my service done at Metro Ford in St Marks road on Saturday. Great experience overall. Standard 20k/2 year service. It cost me 4690 bucks for all oils changed. Plus, they changed the rear shock absorbers under warranty since they felt it was weak. Super. Car rides really well now. Apparently the rear torsion beam was called for replacement, and they did check and noticed that it was replaced. So thats cool.

The power steering hose was called for replacement only on the petrol models - was what i was told.

I also noticed the oil sump...and I am not happy at all. It really needs some kind of protection. I'm amazed nobody's got this done yet. No aluminum fabricated sump guards?

Changed over to Osram NB - saw that there's something called NB Plus which costs a crazy 2200 bucks. No thank you. Also got a nice new horn done.

Great experience with Metro Ford. First time in my life I didn't stand around the car like an ape with an OCD issue the whole service. I dropped it off and went back and collected the car in the afternoon.

Beginning to enjoy this little "blue collar worker" car (also call her the honest man's car). She's named Hathikuli - its TATA's biggest tea estate in Assam which I visited and stayed at last year (Kaziranga). And the car reminds me of a baby elephant.

I've decided I'm not doing synthetic or any of that. Keep it to standard ford oil's and change over every 8k ams preventively. She ain't a performance machine.
If well maintained, the Figo is known to be trouble free for a longer period. 10K service intervals seems to be in the range of 4k-6k for many (part replacements excluded though).

I agree with you on the oil sump, but how good will an outside job be, has been the question. And how much did the Osram NB cost, did you have to do any extra wiring?.

True she ain't a highway scorcher, if interested you could add a racechip & spice things up. I am planning for one shortly (by Sept'14 hopefully).

Last edited by Venkat_Figo : 5th May 2014 at 17:35.
Old 5th May 2014, 20:44   #9288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
If well maintained, the Figo is known to be trouble free for a longer period. 10K service intervals seems to be in the range of 4k-6k for many (part replacements excluded though).

I agree with you on the oil sump, but how good will an outside job be, has been the question. And how much did the Osram NB cost, did you have to do any extra wiring?.

True she ain't a highway scorcher, if interested you could add a racechip & spice things up. I am planning for one shortly (by Sept'14 hopefully).
Osram cost me 1100 bucks. No wiring. Plug and play like the others mentioned.

Outside job, well I know viji from.swastik fabs well, let's see if he wants to make a guard in bulk for some of us.
Old 5th May 2014, 21:51   #9289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The ECU reset and it adjusting to your driving habits is something new to me.
Yes, I have a petrol as well which has Free Flow Exhaust as well as a Cold Air Intake, so the ECU adjusting itself to the way I drive will be more or less the same as it is for me now since I floor the accelerator quite often .
A short report of my car can be read from the link below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...igo-1-2-a.html
Sorry for opening this thread, but can you guide me for a CAI install on the figo?
Old 6th May 2014, 09:01   #9290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Sorry for opening this thread, but can you guide me for a CAI install on the figo?
Mine was done at RRP, Bangalore.
The CAI came as a kit from BMC which included the filter, filter case, and the RAM intake pipe.
I am guessing the fitting is quite straight forward except removing the stock air box ,which is a pain. The pipe from the filter to the throttle body is stock.

Make sure the RAM intake pipe is connected all the way to the grill as shown in the last page of my ownership link, or else it will be a Hot Air intake instead.
Old 9th May 2014, 23:01   #9291
BHPian

My uncle gave his 1.5 year old 1,06,000 kms run Figo diesel to get it serviced by me.
Before handing it over to my FNG mechanic, I took a test drive and found out there was a humming noise. My mechanic also took a TD and found the same.

We then inspected the wheel bearings as the noise was similar to that of a worn out bearing. Nope, it was not the wheel bearing but the gearbox.
We decided to change the gear oil only to find out there is no drain plug. We had to remove the drive shafts and drain the oil from there.

Filled the gear box with 75W80 Shell Spirax FS transmission oil. The noise has reduced considerably.

I wonder why Ford uses a "sealed for lifetime gearbox". Extending drain intervals is one thing but completely doing away with oil change is too much.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:36   #9292
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Has anybody tried System D in their diesel Figo? I am asking because I've been using System G on my petrol Fiesta once in a while. The manual recommends it for the Fiesta.

Not sure if the Figo manual recommends System D. Any pointers?
Old 10th May 2014, 15:24   #9293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
My uncle gave his 1.5 year old 1,06,000 kms run Figo diesel to get it serviced by me.
Are you serious??? That's 200km everyday for the last one and half years!!! These figures would stand right up there for reliability for any car from any manufacturer anywhere in the world.
Old 10th May 2014, 15:29   #9294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

Has anybody tried System D in their diesel Figo? I am asking because I've been using System G on my petrol Fiesta once in a while. The manual recommends it for the Fiesta.

No don't use any additives! The manual specifically states the same however they do recommend the system g for petrol but not for diesel.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 19:07   #9295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

You can use System D in diesel Figo.
I have noticed this system D to make significant improvement in IDI engines but found little difference in common rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Are you serious??? That's 200km everyday for the last one and half years!!! These figures would stand right up there for reliability for any car from any manufacturer anywhere in the world.
Yes.

Reliability is good. My only grouse is lack of genuine spares in market which forces the customers to visit ASC for almost every repair.
Some excellent quality after market consumables are available in the market such as Sakura oil filters, Arrowhead air filters,KBX(now bosch) brake pads, Monroe struts, Rane stabilizer links and ball joints etc.

At 1,06,000kms,
We overhauled the suspension by replacing the struts, links and bushes.
Engine C mount was also replaced as the entire cabin was shaking.
Steering column has some play and is making noise over rough patches of road.
Timing belt and tensioners needs to be replaced at the ASC as soon as possible.

Engine is making knocking sound for 2-3 secs at idle every now and then. FE and performance is good but the knocking sound is too much during acceleration. I and my mechanic think it is due to worn-out injector nozzles.

Last edited by interc00led : 10th May 2014 at 19:09.
Old 10th May 2014, 22:26   #9296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
It's not 'a bit' heavier but significantly heavy than almost all EPS cars. I have never compared it to a HPS though. As said above, at Parking Speeds, the Figo steering is heavy.
However, as you say, the feedback it gives once you decent speeds is brilliant and again not like anything I have driven so far.
It's safe to say that Figo has made me a fan of the HPS systems!
Its true that Figo's HPS is heavier at idle compared to EPS but I still find it reasonably light. I also have a Ford Ikon Flair, the HPS on that car is even more heavier than Figo's. Its all about relative comparison scale .
Old 10th May 2014, 22:40   #9297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I also have a Ford Ikon Flair, the HPS on that car is even more heavier than Figo's. Its all about relative comparison scale .
Yes, it all depends upon one's comparison scale. Like for me who migrated from M800 to figo, I actually found it feather light! But even then its manageable, one can negotiate slow traffic turns pretty much with one hand.
Old 10th May 2014, 23:10   #9298
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure there was no drain plug? As for the filler, I think it should be under the gear shifter, around the reverse light switch.....did you check there?

Quote:
We decided to change the gear oil only to find out there is no drain plug. We had to remove the drive shafts and drain the oil from there.

Filled the gear box with 75W80 Shell Spirax FS transmission oil. The noise has reduced considerably.

I wonder why Ford uses a "sealed for lifetime gearbox". Extending drain intervals is one thing but completely doing away with oil change is too much.
Old 11th May 2014, 00:04   #9299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Are you sure there was no drain plug?
There is a filler plug near to the breather tube. The only way to drain the oil is by removing a drive shaft and jacking-up the other side of the car.

As ford says, this gearbox is filled for lifetime. You only top-up the transmission oil when some oil is lost during drive shaft removal/replacement.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 00:39   #9300
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info. Will have to check because I cannot immediately locate it in my mind. Would it be possible for you to post a pic? Did you get any pics while getting the work done?

Also, even if there's just a filler plug, you can still remove the oil. You basically would then need to suck out the oil & I am not sure about India, but one does get pump sort of things abroad through which oil can be removed & then new oil can be poured back based on the amount of oil that came out.

Quote:
There is a filler plug near to the breather tube. The only way to drain the oil is by removing a drive shaft and jacking-up the other side of the car.

As ford says, this gearbox is filled for lifetime. You only top-up the transmission oil when some oil is lost during drive shaft removal/replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks