Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 13:37   #106
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
thanks to the Bangalore rains and heavy traffic jams. On my second tank full my FE dropped again. :( This time I got only 10.5!
This is purely inside the city.
With Petrol prices going up 10.5kpl seems ridiculously low for a 1.2.

The ride is quite bumpy, thinking of putting some better tyres maybe that will fix my problem.
10.5 on a 1.2 hatch is well below expectations. I guess Ford have got it all wrong here in terms of FE. I guess the New Wagon R withh ists claimed mileage of 18,.9 would surely give 15 in city. specially with Petrol prices on the rise. 10.5 is seriously low.

My concernsare with you Captain SLow on this factor...
Old 26th April 2010, 13:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
thanks to the Bangalore rains and heavy traffic jams. On my second tank full my FE dropped again. :( This time I got only 10.5!

The ride is quite bumpy, thinking of putting some better tyres maybe that will fix my problem.
Nice car and report, and a Black one at that. Missed this thread I guess.

Congrats for the free gift as well. Hope you took them to task on that.

Quickly getting to mileage. I used to fill the Fusion regularly from a certain pump near Metro Ford St Marks Road when the only when the Low Fuel indicator lights up. They always managed to fill 42 litres in a 45 liter tank. Same with IOCL opposite Sagar Hospital on BG road and they managed 44 litres. Now I fill at a pump in J P Nagar, and surprisingly they can only put 38 litres till auto Cut.

Initially thought that the mechanism was faulty, but a quick check with trip meter over next few months confirmed that the car was running same number of Kilometers as before.

Result. Better FE. Its probably not the car that's drinking more but the Pump itself. My Fusion gives 12 with AC in the city.

The DTE is fairly unreliable in most cars, it mostly calculates based on immediate past consumption.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 26th April 2010 at 13:42.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The mileage is too low for a 1.2 L modern car like Figo. I think you need to take the car on a long drive and see the results. Anything below 14 on highways is unacceptable. Polo petrol is giving 13/17 as conveyed in ownership threads.Even the diesel Figos are facing some mileage issues it seems.
Exactly poloman! I plan to do a trip to Tirupathi sometime next month. That should tell me the highway F.E .

Poloman how bad is the Diesel figo? Joe seems to be getting about 15-16. Anyone got lower FE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
@ Captain, how are you coping up with cleaning the car? I am already having regular workouts with my car. Also can you post some pics of your car after the tints?
LOL guzzler,
once in 2 weeks I use formula 1 wax on her. That keeps her a bit clean. I have a guy who washes the car but like most car washing boys, the only thing he does is wet a cloth and rub it around the body causing small scratches.
I will surely post new pics soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
10.5 a 1.2 hatch is well below expectations. I guess Ford have got it all wrong here in terms of FE. I guess the New Wagon R withh ists claimed mileage of 18,.9 would surely give 15 in city. specially with Petrol prices on the rise. 10.5 is seriously low.

My concernsare with you Captain SLow on this factor...
I expected about 12 atleast. 10.5 is ridiculous! Yes the Wagonr will kill the Figo petrol if this continues.

Oh and its not like the Figo 1.2 is a performer or anything. This engine manages only 70 whiny donkeys. The engine is whiney and slow and gives only 10.5

Compare this to the 1.2K series from suzuki which is peppy, smooth to drive, 85 Japanese Horses and still manages to give a FE of 14 in the city.

If the FE stays at 10.5 in my next tank full then I will have no choice but to report this during my first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Nice car and report, and a Black one at that. Missed this thread I guess.

Congrats for the free gift as well. Hope you took them to task on that.

Quickly getting to mileage. I used to fill the Fusion regularly from a certain pump near Metro Ford St Marks Road when the only when the Low Fuel indicator lights up. They always managed to fill 42 litres in a 45 liter tank. Same with IOCL opposite Sagar Hospital on BG road and they managed 44 litres. Now I fill at a pump in J P Nagar, and surprisingly they can only put 38 litres till auto Cut.

Initially thought that the mechanism was faulty, but a quick check with trip meter over next few months confirmed that the car was running same number of Kilometers as before.

Result. Better FE. Its probably not the car that's drinking more but the Pump itself. My Fusion gives 12 with AC in the city.

The DTE is fairly unreliable in most cars, it mostly calculates based on immediate past consumption.
thank you shubhodeepdas,

Both my tank fulls were done at shell! I know shell is more expensive so only for the figo I use shell just to calculate the FE!
so I guess we can rule out bad fuel, tampered meters.
FE calculated using tank full-tank full method. I Never used the DTE to calculate F.E .

You use the AC all the time? Can tell me at what setting you keep it at? thanks.

p.s
I think I have seen your fusion around in Bangalore. You don't have any team-bhp stickers right?
Old 26th April 2010, 15:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Both my tank fulls were done at shell! I know shell is more expensive so only for the figo I use shell just to calculate the FE!
so I guess we can rule out bad fuel, tampered meters.
FE calculated using tank full-tank full method. I Never used the DTE to calculate F.E .

You use the AC all the time? Can tell me at what setting you keep it at? thanks.
Try out some other Pumps and Fuel as well. Shell never agreed well with the Fusion. Did try them a couple of times but never really felt happy. Car felt sluggish and nothing really mattered after that. I have stuck to IOCL Xtra Premium or Regular + System G for last 3 years.

The AC is almost always on in the Fusion with the Kid around. Have to keep the windows shut as things tend to get thrown out.

1. The fan speed is set to 3 in Vent mode when starting. To get rid of dust and hot air. I find 4 too noisy. The vents are almost always in Foot + Head + Defogger mode. In my experience it circulates the hot air that develops under the front windscreen.

2. AC is switched on and the controls are set to Thermostat Max and Fan Speed 2 with recirculation on. Any more and it becomes intolerable.

3. Once things get chilly, which is about 5 minutes in the Fusion, the Thermostat is set to 9 or 11 o'clock position in recirculation mode. This depends on Summer, More Summer or Most Summer.

3M on all windows help. The gigantic glass area and a black car is a pure heat trap.

Some other things I noticed in the Figo Petrol during the 3 test drives is that the Acceleration steadies out when the Pedal is pressed half way. This normally results in better acceleration and FE in the Fusion as well.

Quote:
p.s
I think I have seen your fusion around in Bangalore. You don't have any team-bhp stickers right?
Black old model Fusion with an Apple Logo at the back. It does not have any sticker on it apart from that. You can see it only on weekends I guess, it's almost never out on the roads on the weekdays.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Some of you must be wondering why I have chosen to call this car a black donkey! I saw several threads about linea and manza owners calling their cars black beauty or snow white. Now the figo is not a beauty contest winner among any of the newer hatchbacks. Heck I would even boldly say its as ugly as it can be. Or am I being too bold here?
The Figo is practical no nonsense hatchback.
Another reason for calling it a donkey is the Engine. On paper it claims to have 70bhp. But start driving this car and you wonder where the horses suddenly went? The 70 horses should be changed to 70 donkeys!
Having driven almost all available options as test drives, I would still credit the Figo with more donkeys than the Punto 1.4 which, due to the lack of its low end torque and heavy weight felt more underpowered than the Punto 1.2. After driving around in a 1.6 for 4 years and more, all of them feel like bullock carts including the ANHC. And drive them at RPMs near their peak torque and they all threaten to disintegrate and die.

Sad to see the Metro goof up though. Have had a clean run with them so far.
Old 26th April 2010, 22:58   #111
Senior - BHPian

10.5 seems ridiculous!! Surely should be an issue with the pump. Ford's duratec engines are supposed to be quite efficient. Even our 1.6 Fusion returns around 11 in city. On highways we have managed to get upto around 17 on early morning runs with minimum a/c and speeds around 80km/hr.

Hope you are not revving/lugging the engine.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:39   #112
BHPian

Do you drive along the Agara- Sarjapur rd ? Guess what my 800 milage also has taken a 3 kmpl hit thats almost 21% HIT due to those flyover clogging.

Better do a tank full, drive along the city during the weekend and fill back on sunday evening to get real picture (~150kms driving). And do use the lower gear torqueue not the accelerator --- upshift a little late. Drive in lower gears without half clutch. I expect to hear ~13kmpl next time. You can surely do it Captain.

Enjoy the drive, the milage will follow.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:

Oh another low FE problem in Figo, this time a petrol !

FE can make or break a car in india with in the first few months of the launch. Its better for Ford to talk to new customers proactively and suggest them ways to get better FE rather than the customers complaining about low FE. Mustang how is ford planning to address these low FE problem? Your call center does not seem to have any good answers for these, they just say you need to improve your driving habits.

Also this petrol engine is a new engine in the indian market so i cannot comment, but people have huge (really 15+ in cities and 20+ on highways) expectations on your TDCi as this is supposed to be proven on Fiesta and a lighter car. So if it gives any thing below it will create a 'expectation management crisis'. I hope some senior management at ford is reading this.

So far I still haven't complained about the low FE, I will take a few more readings before doing so.
Old 1st May 2010, 15:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Captain Slow any update on the latest FE figures, the low FE figures are worrying me as I almost finalize Figo as my next car and was about to book it next week.

Just cannot understand if all other manufacturers are performing near to the ARAI FE figure, how come both 1.2 & 1.4 Figo are way off there claimed performance.
Definitely I can foresee dip in sales figures for Figo if this important point is not addressed proactively... watch out Ford.

An alternative fuel (LGP/CNG) option for the petrol version may possibly mitigate the impact of low FE figure of 1.2 petrol engine. I feel it make very good sense for Ford to bring an LPG version.
Old 1st May 2010, 15:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Captain Slow any update on the latest FE figures, the low FE figures are worrying me as I almost finalize Figo as my next car and was about to book it next week.
Hi tj123,

if you are person giving importance to FE, then i suggest you not to book figo petrol now, wait for a wider feedback. when the proven tdci is giving low FE its better to wait and watch and then decide.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:57   #116
BHPian

I would recommend everyone to take milage numbers from B'lore as the worst possible ones. The way the city is dug up in all directions, every posisble street FE is bound to be at least 15% lower.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:02   #117
BHPian

These mileage figures are starting to worry me now, after having booked my car!
Old 7th May 2010, 11:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
10.5 seems ridiculous!! Surely should be an issue with the pump. Ford's duratec engines are supposed to be quite efficient. Even our 1.6 Fusion returns around 11 in city. On highways we have managed to get upto around 17 on early morning runs with minimum a/c and speeds around 80km/hr.

Hope you are not revving/lugging the engine.
Hey Gemithomas,
no, I really don't lug the engine around. I also make sure I done over rev the car. My milage seems really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Do you drive along the Agara- Sarjapur rd ? Guess what my 800 milage also has taken a 3 kmpl hit thats almost 21% HIT due to those flyover clogging.

Better do a tank full, drive along the city during the weekend and fill back on sunday evening to get real picture (~150kms driving). And do use the lower gear torqueue not the accelerator --- upshift a little late. Drive in lower gears without half clutch. I expect to hear ~13kmpl next time. You can surely do it Captain.

Enjoy the drive, the milage will follow.
On my first tank full, along with some highway driving I got about 11.5 or so but after that its been inside the city all the time.
My usual daily drive to office is from bellary road all the way to MG road end.

I also noticed that my idling is rather high! my car idles at 1300Rpm when cold and settles down at 1200 once the engine heats up. I feel this is on the higher side.

Update
Another tank full of petrol - This time 10.7! Other than the FE and idling which seems too high I have had no other problems (touch wood)

If you want FE then please look at the 1.2K series from suzuki.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:28   #119
BHPian

Idling -- Hi Captain, As per the Figo Manual the idling RPM should be 750rpm +-50. Yours seem to be way high. Mine I have observed that with a/c ON the RPM is approximately +100 rpms.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Could that be one of the reasons for the F.E being rather super low?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks