Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 11:37   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I also noticed that my idling is rather high! my car idles at 1300Rpm when cold and settles down at 1200 once the engine heats up. I feel this is on the higher side.
The idling RPM on your car is way too high. Ideally, it should settle to around 800-900 once warmed up. Do make it a point to mention this when you go in for service. This would definitely explain why your mileage is on the lower side. On adjusted, i expect your car to return about 12-13 kmpl in city. Frankly, i dont expect it to give any higher considering the traffic and speedbreakers in Bangalore.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:45   #122
BHPian

Quote:
I also noticed that my idling is rather high! my car idles at 1300Rpm when cold and settles down at 1200 once the engine heats up. I feel this is on the higher side.
That idling is at a very high RPM. It should be around 750 - 850 RPM (whatever is mentioned in the book) and +100/150 with AC on. On a cold start the engine should rev up quite a bit by itself (about 1200 RPM on the 1.6) and then settle gradually back to normal. Depending on weather this settling time differs. Normally this would happen only once in a day.

Get that checked ASAP by a Ford Service chap, it seems to me to be the primary reason for bad FE. Higher RPM at idling indicates that the car may be at higher than necessary RPM at all times even during running. There could be many reason for this including ECU, Default Pedal Position or Fuel among others.

Also change and experiment with other Fuel companies. I had experienced erratic RPMs (sudden high and low in idling) when using HP initially, never went back to them (nothing against HP, just what suits the car).

Try and use normal fuel with IFTEX System G (if it is suggested by Ford, which they normally do) as much as possible.

What fuel are you presently using?
Old 7th May 2010, 16:19   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Could that be one of the reasons for the F.E being rather super low?
Yes car should not idle at 1300 rpm! This is very much the reason for your low FE, if it is actually happening.

Get it checked at the showroom, Seems to be a problem with the ISCA, Idling speed control actuator.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:59   #124
BHPian

What exactly is ISCA?
Old 7th May 2010, 19:24   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
What exactly is ISCA?
Idle Speed Control Actuator
Old 7th May 2010, 19:55   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
That you said in your previous post!
But, what IS it?
Old 7th May 2010, 20:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
That you said in your previous post!
But, what IS it?
If I might give a cruse description - When you clutch/set the gear on neutral, the engine crankshaft faces almost zero resistance and can spin more freely - its the job of the idle speed control actuator to sense this and bring the rpm down.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:01   #128
BHPian

Coming to think of it - even mine was in the 1K range. I thought it was normal as this is the first time I have a car with a tacho(poor me).

And this Fuel Pump monkey business also needs to be checked out. Plus the air pressure.

Fix all these, and the FE is licked.

If the Corolla Diesel is giving 21 - the Figo better be doing so better too.

Last edited by Brix : 8th May 2010 at 12:03.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:37   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Coming to think of it - even mine was in the 1K range.
Mine is at 850 with AC on right from the moment it starts. The reading is as per Scanguage. The water temperature starts at about 30 degree C and the usual optimum running temperature is seen at 83/84 degree Centigrade.

70kph in fifth gear correspond to 1750RPM.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Captain Slow any update on your 1.2 Black donkey FE figures?

Hope you have shown the vehicle to service and got your idling speed issue sorted.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:05   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes car should not idle at 1300 rpm! This is very much the reason for your low FE, if it is actually happening.

Get it checked at the showroom, Seems to be a problem with the ISCA, Idling speed control actuator.
Im sorry for the lack of update guys. I was slacking at work during the figo delivery with all the excitement and all now. I got to work like a real donkey.

Last night I took things real slow sat down and noted down the RPM and this is what I got.

Cold starts the RMP goes to 1100-1200
Once the engine gets hot its stays at about 1000-900 This is also a bit high I feel.
I will take show this problem to them during the first service. I use the car every day to work got my Office parking validated on the figo

I have had no other problems or issues with the car. She has been really fun to drive.

Thanks shubhodeepdas@g
On the Figo I use only shell regular petrol.
Next tank full I shall try HP or IOC.

My F.E is still the same. This is fully within the city with the Aircon on all the time.
Worst - 10.5
Best - 10.7 -11
Old 12th May 2010, 12:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Captain Slow any update on your 1.2 Black donkey FE figures?
Hope you have shown the vehicle to service and got your idling speed issue sorted.
I wonder why are you folks referring to it as Donkey? Doesn't that sound a bit negative?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once the engine gets hot its stays at about 1000-900 This is also a bit high I feel.
This is perfectly normal on MPFi petrol vehicles. During cold starts the ECU keeps the rpm higher for the engine to warm up sufficiently. This acts like the choke on carb engined cars. Once the engine has warmed up the ECU will reduce the RPM to 850-900. If the RPM doesn't come down to 850-900 once the engine is warmed up, then there's something wrong with your car that you need to get checked.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:47   #134
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If I might give a cruse description - When you clutch/set the gear on neutral, the engine crankshaft faces almost zero resistance and can spin more freely - its the job of the idle speed control actuator to sense this and bring the rpm down.
Long back when I went to hyundai service for my cousins vehicle, the technician told that the idle rpm was varying and set that right. He said not to raise the engine with half-clutch on. If you need to raise the engine to higher rpm do with full clutch or in neutral gear. He said fiddling with engine rpm in half clutch will reset and may cause higher rpms during idle time. The normal rpm at idle speed is between 800-1000.
Yes this may have negative effect in FE.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:54   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Im sorry for the lack of update guys. I was slacking at work during the figo delivery with all the excitement and all now. I got to work like a real donkey.

Last night I took things real slow sat down and noted down the RPM and this is what I got.

I think thats its perfectly normal then as your idling rpms settle down to 850 rpm after the engine gets warm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks