Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:49   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Good photos.
--
selective photos only?How it will be if the suburbs where water itself is a hard thing to find?the untidy streets? OTOH ,Salem,Coimbattoor cities looks great(less slum areas).
I wonder when was your last visit to Chennai. Not sure if you know anything about RWH. ( rain water harvesting ).
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:25   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Good photos.
--
selective photos only?How it will be if the suburbs where water itself is a hard thing to find?the untidy streets? OTOH ,Salem,Coimbattoor cities looks great(less slum areas).
I wonder when you will learn. You keep posting unwarranted things in all threads offending people and yet fail to change.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:04   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
the untidy streets? OTOH ,Salem,Coimbattoor cities looks great(less slum areas).
While Chennai is no Singapore when it comes to cleanliness, among the Indian metros Chennai would rank among the cleanest.

There is a sea difference between the Chennai of today and the one I came to 20 years ago. I don't know when you were last in Chennai, but if you had been here in the recent past, I would not think you would associate "untidy streets" to this city.

While the governments here can be blamed for lots of things, one thing that we need to give them credit for is the restoration/maintenance of the lungs of the city - its innumerable parks. Started during the last AIADMK regime, the current disposition has also continued the trend and it is really praiseworthy.

And before I forget, removal of all hoardings from the city has also made this city prettier.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:17   #139
BANNED

Quote:
Good photos.
--
Why don't you make a visit and find out? Let us all know in advance - I'll make sure I'm there as well and will personally take you around.

'Thanni' is not a hard thing to find in the suburbs - there's a shop bang opposite my apartment
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:26   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
'Thanni' is not a hard thing to find in the suburbs - there's a shop bang opposite my apartment
Ha ha. Actually, when my FIL came to Chennai for the first time, this was something that really made him like the place. He goes out for a walk around the place and comes back excited - "There are 2 liquor shops within just 100 metres of our flat. And many more along the way". Obviously he likes his drink.

But this again is the bane of Chennai due to couple of reasons :
1) There are too many of these shops - sometimes very close to each other. And unlike other states, there does not seem to be any law that dictates where these shops can be located - for eg. in Kerala, they cannot be within 400ms of a religious/educational institution.

2) More than the shops, the so-called "attached bars" are a nuisance. Since these shops are in residential localities, you see bikes parked all over the place outside these bars, hindering traffic flow. Not to mention inebriated idiots making a nuisance on the roads. And ofcourse the vicinity of this 'bar' is dirtied with empty plastic satchets, bottles etc.

BTW, calling these stink-holes a bar, would be an insult to a bar anywhere else.

Why can't the government ban these attached bars ?
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:35   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I wonder when was your last visit to Chennai.
Quote:
selective photos only?How it will be if the suburbs where water itself is a hard thing to find?the untidy streets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There is a sea difference between the Chennai of today and the one I came to 20 years ago. I don't know when you were last in Chennai, but if you had been here in the recent past, I would not think you would associate "untidy streets" to this city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Chennai is a city of 5+ million, compared to Coimbatore's population of 1 million. With any city of Chennai's proportions the facts you mentioned are unavoidable.
Don't want to start an argument here but I think Deepclutch was expressing an opinion that is not entirely off the mark. In all fairness the photos are mainly of the cleaner areas and there are several places in Chennai that can't be called clean. But before anyone accuses me of being an outsider who is indulging in Chennai-bashing, let me clarify that I have spent a significant part of my life there, visit it regularly, consider it one of my home-cities and retain a fondness for it with all its imperfections.

Having said that, the photos brought back good memories and I spent a pleasant quarter of an hour or so looking through them. Good ones and thanks for posting them Nick.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:40   #142
BANNED

Sir, there are several places everywhere that are dirty. nickatnite was sharing photos of his drive through the city (true to thread title). If the areas he drove through were clean, why blame him for being selective?

He's not advertising for Harpic during his drive now, is he?
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:47   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
If the areas he drove through were clean, why blame him for being selective?

He's not advertising for Harpic during his drive now, is he?
Sir, it seems you have misunderstood me (if your post was in reply to mine). I am not blaming him - in fact in my last post I have mentioned I enjoyed looking at the photos he posted.

And I agree and hope he is not advertising for Harpic, considering where Harpic is usually used.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:31   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good photos.
--

deepclutch, i think your mind is stuck in deep muck. Get up and smell the coffee dude.

Yes, any city in India is infested with slums and it is dirty too. But there are areas which have improved vastly through good governance and knowledge through learning. Of course it would be too much to expect you to understand all of this. cheers
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa! dont get territorial dude!

first of all ,I dont want to offend any one from madras city(Ell Swaami ..Madras Singaara Chennai Endral Enakkum Pudikkum-Okvaaa?).I had stayed in valsaravakkam for my Engg Project for almost 6 months(back in 2001) ,not to say countless visits.last I visited city was during 2005.I had ventured into forbidden territories of madras just to see how the city is during my Engg college days .

I ,for one ,wont be ashamed to put a snap of the "other side" of the city wherever I belongs to. .slums are a reality in madras ,then I was sorry to see the scarcity for water in the areas(unbelievably!).let the political goons of the state focus their development wand towards these poor slum areas.I am sure ,crime rate of the city also will come down.There is some other wars going on in southern friends circle- bangalore vs madras(where madras was accused of not supporting Hindi ).

I again Hope ,I hadnt made anybody sad.Ok Sirji?
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:03   #146
BHPian

you wouldnt have made anyone sad had you not commented at all

btw, whats the 'forbidden territories' that you ventured into ?

and yeah, no offence : your tamil is really bad !!!

Last edited by neoranjit : 23rd January 2009 at 15:04.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:10   #147
BANNED

Maybe Metrowater pumping stations

Seriously, which 'forbidden territories' and forbidden by whom? I'd love to know.

Last edited by hrag : 23rd January 2009 at 15:12.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Guess we've gone way tooo OT here.

Nick dude,
Let the next set of photos flow in. I am sure you are going to use this extended weekend to venture into newer areas
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:20   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
I ,for one ,wont be ashamed to put a snap of the "other side" of the city wherever I belongs to.
OK, so the problem here is the belief/thinking that nick is posting only snaps of the good parts of the city. Which I dont think is the case. He keeps his camera along with him when he drives around the city and posts the snaps. I dont think he intentionally is trying to project any image of the city.

Hey all cities have their bad side. Mumbai is home to the largest slum in Asia - Dharavi. Does that take anything away from the beautiful city it is ? Not in my opinion.

P.S. : nick, you need to go off the beaten path and get some slum pics.
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:31   #150
BHPian

Quote:

I ,for one ,wont be ashamed to put a snap of the "other side" of the city wherever I belongs to.
I know my geography is bad. May be thats why I havent heard any city called Muvattupuzha in Kerala. Can you help me with its coordinates ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks