Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:53   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Good photos.
--
selective photos only?How it will be if the suburbs where water itself is a hard thing to find?the untidy streets? OTOH ,Salem,Coimbattoor cities looks great(less slum areas).
As with any big city, a lot of immigrants land up in Chennai everyday. So you will tend to have more poverty stricken areas in the metros than the 2nd tier cities or towns.

This is not the case with India alone, you should see some of the shanty towns around LA or SFO.

Also Nick's clearly mentioned that the snaps are about the cars in Chennai in most of his posts.

Chennai is dirty in certain respects. I've seen more people spit and urinate in public in Chennai than in Bangalore. (I'm a Chennaite by the way before someone jumps on me ) But there are a lot of positive aspects about Chennai as well just as Bangalore has. That's a different topic altogether.

And by the way most of the suburbs were built on low lying water holding areas so they tend to get flooded more often than not during the monsoon.
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:22   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I know my geography is bad. May be thats why I havent heard any city called Muvattupuzha in Kerala. Can you help me with its coordinates ?
First of All ,I was not insulting your city.then ,this is not the place where something like local nationality to be shown. Every City even if it is Banglore or Bombay or Dehli or Calcutta or Ahmedabad there exists a slum-and in Bombay and Madras this is easily noticeable.
--
OT:
Muvattupuzha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - It is 45kms north east of Cochin City - may be you can call it a suburb of city towards Highranges.you will better know this route as the route towards Sabarimala(MC Road).
@csenthil:Sir ,I appreciate your views.
--
Now ,Can we stop the OT discussion?I was in the impression that the guy is covering Madras City in every aspects.My Single Word triggered so much controversy ,huh!May be ,If Moderator can remove all these OT posts.
Thanks everybody.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:53   #153
Senior - BHPian

Here's some photos of what our friend DC wants. The suburbs of chennai, with broken roads and cycles everywhere.

Driving through Chennai-p1140008.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140013.jpg

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th January 2009 at 10:54.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:13   #154
Senior - BHPian

And here is some from the GST Road, near airport. Notice the fancy lamp posts.
Driving through Chennai-p1140016.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140019.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140024.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140026.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140021.jpg

Driving through Chennai-p1140015.jpg
Old 27th January 2009, 18:02   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
--
selective photos only?How it will be if the suburbs where water itself is a hard thing to find?the untidy streets? OTOH ,Salem,Coimbattoor cities looks great(less slum areas).
Guess you have not been to the slums of CBE and Salem! Every city has its good and bad areas including London, Newyork and Japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
He's not advertising for Harpic during his drive now, is he?

LOL
LOL, nick should start a drive through the slums with Harpic advertisement!

Quote:
I had stayed in valsaravakkam for my Engg Project for almost 6 months(back in 2001) ,not to say countless visits.last I visited city was during 2005.I had ventured into forbidden territories of madras just to see how the city is during my Engg college days .
No wonder your views are one sided as you stayed in a not so elite area!

BTW, would you like pictures of the slums in Japan and London? Water logging elsewhere in the world too?

Cheers
Old 28th January 2009, 16:46   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The lamp on that stretch has always been different inorder to not confuse the pilots who are landing on the runway parallel to the road. Pilots sometimes use visual recognition to land on a particular runway and the regular streetlights I am told could confound them into landing their birds on GST Road
Old 28th January 2009, 18:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The lamp on that stretch has always been different inorder to not confuse the pilots who are landing on the runway parallel to the road. Pilots sometimes use visual recognition to land on a particular runway and the regular streetlights I am told could confound them into landing their birds on GST Road
Come on, the planes nowadays all landing with fully automatic landing gear!

And the ATC controls the landing with coordinates!

Cheers
Old 28th January 2009, 18:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
*bows*

That post had me for the day! Modern aircrafts are not the beach craft type ones that we see in movies, to land on any tarmac with a couple of kms!
Old 28th January 2009, 23:52   #159
BHPian

unless a certain 'john mclane' is flying it ?
Old 29th January 2009, 09:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Sounds strange? But it is true !

Quote:

Folks, strange as it may sound, what DWind has said is true : there are some restrictions on the type of street lighting that can be used in roads which are near by or parallel to the runways.

There is a world of a difference in what is the technology that is available worlwide, and the way it is implemented in our country (so not all major airports have full-fledged 100% ILS in place)

I know this is OT for this thread, but thought I would clarify anyway.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:08   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
*bows*

That post had me for the day! Modern aircrafts are not the beach craft type ones that we see in movies, to land on any tarmac with a couple of kms!
*OT*

proof that modern aircraft can still outdo 'the beach craft type ones that we see in movies, to land on any tarmac with a couple of kms!'

Close shave for 368 on Saudi aircraft

and anyone who has seen the Tambaram Air Force base runway would know how grave the situation actually was.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
There is a world of a difference in what is the technology that is available worlwide, and the way it is implemented in our country (so not all major airports have full-fledged 100% ILS in place)
Just to add to BlueThunder report, all airports in India require Visual recognition to land with Delhi having the least requirement of 50m (CAT IIIB) rendered useless during fog in Dec-Jan period. Chennai by contrast has only CAT I (visibility requirement of 800m) as visibility problems occur atmost for couple of hours in a year.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:56   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai is very pleasing to the eyes in these photographs!
How I wish it had a pleasant climate! The weather of Chennai is what keeps me away from visiting it even for a day!
Old 29th January 2009, 13:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
How I wish it had a pleasant climate! The weather of Chennai is what keeps me away from visiting it even for a day!
On the contrary, the last 6 weeks, Chennai has been having a very pleasant climate, sometimes it is even cold.

A few times I had even forgotten to switch on the AC in my car & drove home in the evening without even lowering the windows.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, the last 6 weeks, Chennai has been having a very pleasant climate, sometimes it is even cold.
Quite true ...especially the early morning chill...it is a bit unusual this year. The "winter" seems to have extended this year. When I checked the temperatures around TN, realised that Chennai was a degree cooler than Coimbatore (usually CBE is cooler by atleast 2 degrees during this time of the year)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks